ICT v Kilmarnock

Gringo

We certainly started brightly and had the best of the opening 20 mins. Killie have pretty much domninated coming into the break and we've been on the back foot. A draw at half time sEems pretty fair. Hopefully we will start the 2nd half like the first. Feeling optimistic at the moment. Maybe the fact I had too many bEers at the caley club before game :)

OTJ absolutely shocking, If that was the high street last night he would have been in the cells. Didn't think we played too bad but a lot of loose passes. Also kept losing the ball too easily. Good pen stop by Ryan but to be fair wasn't the best pen. All in all a decent first home game.

Oh dear. Otj should hang his head in shame. He got taken from behind and no doubting it was a bad tackle but in no way can his behaviour be condoned. As for the game itself we bossed the first 20 mins but after that killie were the better team. In the 2nd half we were quite scrappy and few players stood out. I don't like to criticize our own but raven and Sutherland looked well short of the standard required. However still unbbeaten but already hoping that dundee and hibs are uber poor. Bring on the jambos:)

Good game for the neutral, that.

What the hell was OTJ thinking? It was a cynical foul but he should know a damn sight better than to raise his hands and then try to headbutt the guy. The ref had no choice but to send him off and I hope he's feeling pretty ashamed at the moment.

It was all the more disappointing as I thought he'd had a great game today up to that point. We'd started well but after Doran missed the one-on-one at 1-0 we lost momentum and Killie bossed the latter stages of the first half. Racchi's penalty was rubbish but Esson's save from the rebound was stunning. Everyone around me thought he was at fault for their equalizer though - couldn't tell from my angle.

The second half was about even stevens until the red card - though even then we passed up the best chance of the latter stages when Bell somehow kept out a close-range header from Nick Ross. Surely Nick must start next week - he did well again as a sub, and is a much better option than the mediocre Sutherland.

I'm quite impressed by our two new centre-backs - both looked pretty comfortable.

I'm still not sure about Butcher's tactics - Killie were having a field-day in wide areas, mainly because Sutherland and Doran wouldn't track back. We were absolutely swamped by their five man midfield and Killie dominated possession for long periods. And pushing Doran up front initially after McKay's substitution was bizarre.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with a point today, as I think we can play better. And we will need to. But it's still eight years since we won our first home league game of the season (and that was at Pittodrie!).

My two cents -

Plus Points

• Nice Weather
  • The Return of ICat!
  • Esson looked fairly solid as usual (bar one or two moments) and did brilliantly to save the penalty rebound.
  • Warren looks like he may come good.
  • Started fairly well.

Negative Points

• Sutherland had a performance akin to a drunken mule.
  • Poor attendance
  • The Shinnie's, Doran and Raven all had rather mediocre games.
  • Butcher still thinks playing McKay up top on his own and hoofing the long ball at him is a winning tactic.
  • Butcher still thinks Sutherland on the wing is a good idea.
  • Butcher's substitution were too late and all wrong.
  • Too cautious at home - do we need two holding midfielders when McKay looks totally isolated up top?
  • Owain Tudur Jones

On that last point, I will happily never see Jones play for ICT again. It was an utterly stupid thing to do. It was already a free kick and to go and try to head butt the guy was indefensible.

All in all, a poor performance I have to say. No doubt Butcher will be on the radio and his merry following of happy clappers will be telling us that it's "early days", "we played well", "Sutherland was really good", "Jones didn't mean it" and other such nuggets of nonsense. That was pretty poor and if things don't improve soon, we'll have a long season ahead of us. Things can improve though.....can't they? :furtive:

Edited by Renegade

First 20 mins were great and could have been 2 or 3 up. From then on we couldn't really pass and chances were at a premium. Second half was poor to be honest. I will say that Kille weren't much better! As for the OTJ, idiot!

As for the crowd. This is going to be a hard season.

Edited by Govan Jaggie

Frustrating to watch. Started brightly passing the ball around well. Got the first goal and it should have been two before the penalty to Killie. Essen made a good double save from it but had a few lapses of concentration today. After the first 25 mins a Killie goal was always likely. Thought at 1-1 at half time that we would regroup second half and kick on but it didn't happen. Jones sending off was stupid but would like to see the tackle again as he did not just have one go but went after the Killie player with real intent. Actually amazed that we nearly won it at the death from a great cross as Killie looked to be the only team that would go home with 3 pts in the second half. Killie were obviously affected by the early changes they had to make and our early attacking/passing attitude seemed to unsettle them. Not sure about our substitutions taking of both Shinnie and McKay but maybe Butcher had realised by that point that a point was worth salvaging. All in all to get a point from the game was a good result in the end if not extremely disappointing after the bright start. Overall assessment is there are signs that it could be an improvement on last season but we will be vulnerable to injuries and/or suspensions.

On that last point, I will happily never see Jones play for ICT again. It was an utterly stupid thing to do.

Just out of interest, did you think the same about Tokely in any of his stupid red card thuggery incidents?

My throat hurts from the shouting, but hardly anyone does. Please make some noise.

Shane can be such a good player on his day, but is looking lost to often, and doesnt seem to know whether to be wide, forward, back, and looks frightened to make his own decisions. Find a front role for him and build his confidence. We need him.

OTJ was IMHO man of the match up till the head butt. Does he not know you can end up in the Bar L for that up in SPL? We will certainly miss him, and need Foran to to cover his match bans.

Ryan Esson is MAGNIFICENT. What a double penalty save.

Nick Ross looked the part when he came on, and David Raven could turn into Terry if he gets a head knock every home game. Looked solid.

Most of the team in fact were a joy to watch at the start of the game, and if we can cut out the unforced errors when passing by doing the simple stuff and not the world cup pass, then it could be a good season.

Should have been ahead early on though.

Thought we started the game great attack after attack. Esson has to be my man of the match great penalty save and was up right up again for the rebound. Warren looked solid at the back. Need to get a grip on the left side of the pitch for the whole of the second half they were all in the middle of the pitch and we had no one out there and when we did killie got the ball of us and attacked. Good to see the long ball was used again but failed as normal. Why we were sitting back after OTJ was sent off was really risky. Nick Ross was almost on the score sheet again for the second week running he was very unlucky with his header

Good to see Don back on the mic again :clapping:

Good to see ICAT back :clapping: :clapping:

Also with OTJ being out at least Foran can come in and fill that space.

Also what a really poor attendance :angry:

Just out of interest, did you think the same about Tokely in any of his stupid red card thuggery incidents?

Tokely did some stupid things in his time there's no doubt about that, but to go at the guy in the way Jones did today was moronic. You can't defend the indefensible, but Tokely I don't think would've have done something like that, particularly when you consider that Jones is an international, supposedly the highest paid player at the club and arguably the most experienced.

Edited by Renegade

Tokely did some stupid things in his time there's no doubt about that, but to go at the guy in the way Jones did today was moronic. You can't defend the indefensible, but Tokely wouldn't have done something like that.

Tokely would have made sure the guy wasn't going to walk away

Edited by WYNESS101

Well I ain't happy, Killie should have been dead and buried after 15 mins but we let them off the hook and paid the price.

We must be more clinical as we have a lack of strike force. We could easily be sitting with 6 points tonight but only have two.

Just for the record (and off the top of my head so not exact) .... Rossco got sent of something like 9 times in nearly 600 appearances for ICT ..... thats 1 every 60+ games or something like that ... so once every 2 seasons !!!

Didnt have the benefit of commentary or eyesight on this one, but the text feed I was watching made it sound like nasty tackle by Fowler and then red mist descending ..... it happens !!! Discipline the guy sure, but to say he should never wear an ICT shirt again may be a little OTT for OTJ

OTJ can keep walking, all for supporting the team but cannot defend his actions today. No doubt he will be all over the papers apologising to team mates, management, his family, the supporters,.... out of character etc. Tell you what OTJ come up to my house an apologise to me, the guy who has paid for 3 season tickets, a programme and pies and juice... then during the games you are banned for, start at the south end of the mainstand and work your way all the way round to the far end of the north stand apologising to every fan who will accept your apology.

I know some people will think that is overboard, but if you were to behave like that at your work how much sympathy do you think you would receive.

Didnt have the benefit of commentary or eyesight on this one, but the text feed I was watching made it sound like nasty tackle by Fowler and then red mist descending ..... it happens !!! Discipline the guy sure, but to say he should never wear an ICT shirt again may be a little OTT for OTJ

I never said he shouldn't play again, but I'd shed no tears if he didn't (I didn't even think he was that good up to that point anyway)! It was a foul on him, there's no doubt about that, but it wasn't like he got up and shouted at the guy like you often see - he sprung up from his feet, ran as fast he could at the bloke (who wasn't far away), grabbed his shirt and threw his head in. Could quite easily have cost ICT game and as others have said, had he done it on the High Street, he'd have been arrested. What a wally!

Edited by Renegade