ICT v Kilmarnock

Gringo

First 20 minutes was perfection, amazing penalty save, a bit of sloppyness did creep into the game but bags of potential for this new team in its early days.

Major thumbs down for the fans who stayed away, you missed an entertaining match but I hope you turn up out of curiosity for the Celtic match.

It was disapointing game, however I saw a few positives,

I think the main problem was the team seemed unsure when to press, challenge , or stand off.

I thought the centre backs held the line well, some good headed clearences. The fullbacks I thought wandered out of position too many times.

The Killie goalkeeper made 3 world class saves, Ryan also kept well especially the save from the rebounded pentalty save.

I thought Killie were encroaching on the penalty, I want to see that on the tape.

The whole team looked very rusty, and unsure of their positioning, also they didn't seem to be able to keep a constant tempo, sometimes rushing, and sometimes unsure how to hold up play. I thought the throw ins were awful untill the last sub came on and he slung a long one, I couldn't believe it.

But I think all in all an enjoyable afterrnoon. I would say it can only get better.

I always think the team should work more on set pieces, our goal came from pressure after a free kick.

I was also disapointed with the first touch of a lot of our players Some more work on that aspect in training I feel.

As folks have been saying, great first 20 mins. A bit more urgency and passing after the break too. A lot of new faces so it will take time for the team to gel. Also we now have some big strong guys giving the team a fair presence. There are grounds for optimism.

Penalty and red card yet again today. Deja vu!! Last season was a series of red cards, penalties against and own goals. Please guys, spare us another season of that. Little wonder the crowd today was so poor and lacking voice. If we can avoid the stupid stuff, finish games with 11 men, get results and play good football then we will hopefully get some missing fans back to the stadium again. But its going to be tough getting people back who were completely scunnered by the frustrations experienced and indiscipline prevalent in so many home games last season.

The day started on a strange note for me as a steward tried to prevent me entering the ground, saying that I and my two companions were Killie fans blink.gif and then that we were drunk unsure.gif Only after speaking to the steward in question and giving him our Inverness postcodes were we permitted to enter.

Caley lined up with the same XI who started against St Mirren and we began the game very well. We dominated possession in the middle of the park and played some good stuff going forward. Billy McKay looked good, he made some clever runs and picked the ball up well. Doran also looked lively out wide and it was from his corner that we scored. Doran looped it in, then Draper headed it down (I thought it was JOnes who knocked it on at the time but subsequently read that it was Draper) and ANdy Shinnie slid in low to knock the ball home. We looked flying at this point and Doran nearly set up McKay to double our advantage, but McKay couldn't turn it in. Doran then burst through and was denied by a good save from Cammy Bell and our attacking players couldn't put the ball home.

So far, so good. However, after the first 20 minutes Kilmarnock started to get hold of the ball more and put pressure on us, especially in wide areas. Raven, who looked patchy throughout, gave away a penalty for a rather innocuous looking foul but Ryan Esson saved Rachi's penalty, which was low but close to the keeper. More impressive was Esson's follow up save from james Drayton, whose powerful effort he blocked. That didn't give us a boost though and Kilmarnock really dominated the closing stages of the half. Most of our fans would've been happy for the half-time whistle to come and give us time to regroup but in the five minutes of injury time (Harkins and Dayton both going off injured following meaty tackles from our centre halves) Killie equalised, Pascali looped a header in from a cross on the left. It was no more than Killie deserved and meant that we went in on a downer.

The second half probably had less incident than the first and again, Caley were wasteful in possession. Too often we hit speculative balls rather than a meaningful pass. We were also very deep and balls up to McKay weren't 'sticking'. Our creative players, Shinnie and Doran, weren't getting as much of the ball as in the opening stages which really blunted our attacks. Shane Sutherland had a couple of shots but he really didn't impress - a big willing worker but he didn't show either guile or power. I was surprised when it was McKay who came off for Nick Ross.

With around ten minutes left Jones was sent off. Fowler slid in late and brought him down and Jones reacted aggressively. From my seat I couldn't pick out exactly what he did but from what I've read he went to headbutt Fowler, I certainly saw him waving his hands around. Really stupid behaviour from an experienced player and it meant that we were hanging on at the end. We don't have a big squad and that's one player missing for a few tough games.

Down to ten men, Butcher barked at us to stick it long into the corners, drawing the ire of a couple of fans who he exchanged words with. Right at the death Nick Ross forced Cammy bell into a good save when he directed a header on target but couldn't beat Bell and our final chance to take three points was gone.

A disappointing first home game of the season then. We showed our potential in the first twenty minute but the fact that we didn't build on that and lost a lead for the second game in a row is worrying. I can see what Butcher is trying to do - solid back four, two big guys in midfield and then four attacking players but we were eased out in midfield. You need Draper and Jones to dominate the middle of the park and they were often posted missing, I thought. Often Killie were first to loose balls in our half and Doran and Shinnie had to drop in to win the ball. That's not their forte and not what they should be doing. It'll be interesting to see how we perform with Foran coming in, we need a bit more dynamism in the middle of hte park and hopefully he can provide it.

Final point about the crowd, it was poor but untypical for us. The fact is, we've been pish at home for years and it's not going to draw people into an expensive trip to the stadium.

• Agree 1

Butcher having words with those in the stand is becoming a fairly common occurrence. I know he is a passionate man but feel that someone at the club needs to tell him to stop with this. I know it must be frustrating for him with some off the stuff being shouted but I am afraid that's part of the managers job and he needs to rise above it.

I doubt we'll be allowed to include the incident in any highlights, and I'm not defending his reaction, but there was no raised hand, attempt to head butt or grabbing/holding of the player. Every time I heard mention of it after the game it grew worse and worse. Entirely right to have been red carded for acting in an aggressive manner, but it was little more than charging and getting right into the face of the guy.

No need for it, stupid thing to have done....but the guy had been niggling him the entire match...and that on top of the fact that OTJ has had near career ending injuries from such cynical challenges and you can perhaps understand his reaction a little more.

Sorry but there was an attempted head butt. He got up and ran 5 yards to the Killie player and after grabing him pushed his head forward. Total idiot, hope he gets hammered by Butcher for it.

As for the people who think a yellow would have been enough they could not have had a good view of it. We were sitting in the wing towards away end so it happened clearly right in front of us and everyone round that area was giving him peleters. Even Butcher said it was defienetly a red card.

i enjoyed the game - the first 20 minutes is the most entertainment i have seen at caley stadium in a while. I really like the look of the two centre backs - Warren and King. Both look very solid. two centre midfielders - draper and jones - were really good until jones did the most stupid yet understandable thing a passionate footballer can do. A few questions for Butcher. WHY ON EARTH DO YOU START THAT DONKEY THAT IS SHANE SUTHERLAND? He is horrendous and i seriously dont understand why he doesnt start nick ross. also when you take nick ross on why do you take billy mckay off :lol: ? Generally quite optimistic for this season but first Butcher needs to stop drinking wine before and during the match.

• Agree 1

Butcher having words with those in the stand is becoming a fairly common occurrence. I know he is a passionate man but feel that someone at the club needs to tell him to stop with this. I know it must be frustrating for him with some off the stuff being shouted but I am afraid that's part of the managers job and he needs to rise above it.

Yeah I agree if not he'll find himself watching the games from the stands because of an SFA touchline ban

A wee clip from last weeks game in Paisley

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=gIe0mUHunsA

Dougal

I doubt we'll be allowed to include the incident in any highlights, and I'm not defending his reaction, but there was no raised hand, attempt to head butt or grabbing/holding of the player.

155013-owain-tudur-jones-has-a-disagreement-with-jmaes-fowler-right.jpg

Clear red card.

I am really disappointed and am a wee bit concerned that TB has his blinkers on again but as many have said it is early days. Can I have some feedback from those inattendnace please.

Did we initially go 4-2-2-1-1 and did we change and lose shape after the first 20-25 minutes - why ?

Was Esson playing it out short or hoofing it ??

I simply can not understand how Raven started in front of Meekings - how did Raven play and has Meekings done summat to upset Butcher ?

Again I have difficulty in understanding how Sutherland can start in front of Ross - did he play wide or cutting inside. Please tell me that Shane did not regularly interchange with Doran ?

Where did he play Shinnie and was McKay played out and out down the centre or did he roam wide ?

How did we line up when Ross came on fer McKay - please do not tell me that he put Shane to centre forward.

What is the feckin point of taking the promising Oswell on in the last minute ??

Losing late goals, lack of discipline and a terrible crowd, anxt beteween TB and the stand - oh feckin dear.

I am really disappointed and am a wee bit concerned that TB has his blinkers on again but as many have said it is early days. Can I have some feedback from those inattendnace please.

Yeah okay :smile:

Did we initially go 4-2-2-1-1 and did we change and lose shape after the first 20-25 minutes - why ?

Looked to me to be a straight 4-2-3-1 from the beginning. After about the half hour mark, Draper and Jones seemed to be basically sellotaped in-front of the centre-backs, meaning Killie dominated possession for the rest of the game, also helped by the fact that they were also far better at winning the ball back. They weren't without it for long. In the second half, Sutherland partnered McKay up top, with no-one at right wing!

Was Esson playing it out short or hoofing it ??

Bit of both, but the game seemed to get somewhat longer as it went on, gifting possession back to Killie.

I simply can not understand how Raven started in front of Meekings - how did Raven play and has Meekings done summat to upset Butcher ?

I wasn't impressed I'm afraid. There was even one point where took a throw in on the half way line and threw it straight out!

Again I have difficulty in understanding how Sutherland can start in front of Ross - did he play wide or cutting inside.

Neither, he was rotten.

Please tell me that Shane did not regularly interchange with Doran ?

Sometimes aye, but he was useless on both sides.

Where did he play Shinnie and was McKay played out and out down the centre or did he roam wide ?

Shinnie was behind McKay, who pulled wide now and again.

How did we line up when Ross came on fer McKay - please do not tell me that he put Shane to centre forward.

Kind of wide.....sometimes.

He did.

Game started well, like the look of centre backs, more games together will help in developing understanding. Nick Ross has to start as Shane is by no means a winger and any confidence he had has gone.

Mackay needs help up front but showed a few good touches. Get Shane along side him or Oswell, or try Andy Shinnie alongside him instead of behind him.

Its early days give the boys a chance to gel a bit more, I thought we missed Foran barking at a few of them yesterday. Not convinced with Raven at all, poor guy gets more head bandages than anything, might be his tribute to TB

Hope weather is as good and crowd picks up next game

I have to say that I am totally hacked off with soem posters on this topis. Renegade's first post baing a classic example. We did not lose the game yesterday and the football played, especially in the first 20 minutes was really good. It didn't match that after that although there were still some examples throughout the game, Nick Ross's chance at the end being a prime example. As for OTJ's red card, it was a definite red but some of the criticsm of him on kere is unbelievable. I think the red mist descended on him after aa bad tackle, and it was a bad tackle, and he reacted. If you have played football, then you know these things sometimes happen. As i have said he deserved to be sent off but it was out of character and up till then had possibly been our best player. incidentally, his sending off did not cost us the game where i can think of a few of Tokely's that did and cannot remember Tokely getting the same flack as OTJ.

As soemone said, this was the first home game of the season and the things are looking better after 2 games than they did last season but some fans/posters are still expecting us to start the season as world beaters. Incidentally, not surprised that Butcher sometimes reacts to fans in the main stand especially when after 5 minutes in, ceratin players are getting huge abuse from some home fans. After hearing this for ages at least one other fan and myself challenged them to get behind the team and they looked bemused that someone should challenge them. I think we must have some of the worst supporters ever and I genuinely mean that. As for the attendance, the people of Inverness should be ashamed of themselves after yesterday. I am tired of hearing that we have been crap at home for so long (which isn't alaways true) that they are not going to attend anymore or will pick and choose their games. A lot of the posters who post vitriolic or constantly negative posts to me are simply not worthy of being called supporters. Given yesterdays poor attendance, I again question if Inverness wants or merits an SPL team.

Truly truly dejected after reading some of these posts.

• Agree 6

This was my first game of the season. It was an interesting day and these are my thoughts for what they are worth.

It was disappointing not to win after the start we got. We could have been out of sight after 20 minutes. Twice the ball broke free in the 6 yard box but there was nobody following up from midfield to take the pickings on offer. This was a symptom both of playing generally too deep and also a general lack of understanding of where everbody was meant to be playing. It's a new unit and that better understanding will come.

King and Warren looked pretty solid and Raven was generally OK. I thought Shinnie played well and offered more creatively going forward. OTJ and Draper both have a presence and skill. Draper in particular looks inpressive going forward but both appeared to need either to up their work rate or get a bit fitter. I'm still not convinced by Sutherland as a winger and feel Mackay would be more effective playing off Sutherland up front.

The crowd was poor both in terms of numbers and noise. The guy next to me, for example, clapped when Shinnie scored and at no other time. I just do not get the mentality of people who attend and cannot be bothered to even applaud when players play well. Then there were the usual hecklers who shouted abuse to our own team whenever a move broke down. How on earth do they think that is going to motivate the guys? Then there were the ones who left early - a couple of guys left, one saying "I've had anough of this sh*te". It's not what goes on on the pitch that might put me off going to games, it is being surrounded by people like that which p***es me off.

I could maybe understand that reaction at the end of last season when there had been a lot of problems and the style of play was not good. But what was really pleasing yesterday was that there was a real desire to play attractive football. It seems that the criticism of the style of play has been listened to and we will get a more attractive passing game. There were very few hoofed high balls up to Billy Mackay and as a result I thought he looked a lot more threatening than I have seen previously. Of course, for this to work well the team needs to get a better understanding and at times yesterday they looked very much as though they were trying to find their way. I saw a lot yesterday which gives me cause to think that when the players get to know each other better we could see some really good football at TCS this season. I just hope that supporters appreciate what's on offer and give the team some proper support.

. Renegade's first post baing a classic example.

Funnily enough, if you look at my first post you'll see there's a positive section this time around! Some people just don't seem to like differing opinions though! :slapme:

Edited by Renegade

Penalty from not a lot, High ball and walked into the net for a goal, a shot on goal, a header on goal and a foul on OTJ.

Thats all that the BBC could show of Killy playing against us, all the rest is ICT, some of the miseries commenting on how bad things are and some weren't even there ??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/19236092#asset