Whats the solution? What are you going to do?

caleytillidie

how about this, the club get into some mainstream stores around town, and sell them tickets at a reduced price but still enough to break even, how ever much it is per seat, must be 2-3 pound per ticket, in return the store put on an offer, perhaps every 25 pound spent you get 2 free tickets (no one wants to go alone) the store wins, people spend money and perhaps are encouraged to spend a little more, the club wins by getting more people in the gates. seems pretty simple to me, the club must have ties around the city.

how about this, some mainstream stores around town get into the club, and sell them their goods at a reduced price but still enough to break even, how ever much it is per item of goods, must be 2-3 pound per item, in return the club put on an offer, perhaps every 2 tickets bought you get 2 free items of goods (no one wants to go alone) the club wins, people spend money and perhaps are encouraged to spend a little more, the store wins by getting more people in the doors. seems pretty simple to me, the stores must have ties around the city.

Edited by mainstander

Very upset by the attitudes shown in this thread. Feel we are being castigated for not continuing to “support” the Club, after whom I am even named. My Dad was brought up and attended matches in the sixties and we have been regular attenders for the last dozen seasons or more. It is extremely disappointing then to have my name challenged and be told to go and support another team. Good riddance indeed!

For the last eight years we have missed at most one home game a season (only due to holiday commitments) and attended several away games, even altering holiday routes to take in games. Attendance at home games alone costing about £500 a year in fuel alone, then with parking, programmes teas etc there were significant additional costs. So to have our loyalty questioned is quite offensive. I would applaud all the posts from people who have renewed although they wouldn’t be able to attend, unfortunately that is an option that is not financially viable for our family.

The opening post asked what was the solution? Simple the quality of entertainment is poor. Even the most fervent of posts on here acknowledge that is what is wrong.

What are you going to do. Well we are not going to renew our season tickets, we are simply going to find alternative uses for our hard earned cash (that won’t be moving our seats over the bridge and further away). Please don’t abuse us for making that decision as that would only put us off ever returning.

The answer then is simply to improve the entertainment value. Perhaps offering free tickets, complimentary tickets or even concessionary tickets is counter productive. Last year we convinced a family friend to come to the first Aberdeen game on Christmas eve as it was always a good game with a good atmosphere. It was the second worst game of the season beaten only by the next Aberdeen game, when a crowd of only 3,487 appeared. Once bitten twice shy. However undaunted we then persuaded a friend who is a St Johnstone supporter to come along to the rearranged midweek fixture for only a fiver with his son getting in free. Just over 3,000 saw a pitiful performance and I doubt I could persuade another friend to go along as word gets about!

The only solution is to make people WANT to come back and to do that the entertainment value must be improved along with the overall package on offer.

A further point, my last for a while (because not being an attender I feel would not grant me an opinion). Whilst attending the Kilmarnock game on Saturday I looked through the team and noticed:- No Jonny Hayes, our most creative player in the last few seasons. No Gregory Tade, our top scorer last year. I then asked the question who has replaced them???????????????

I would end by wishing everyone at the Club all the best for the season ahead, and I shall continue to follow the Club in the future and just hope we can be tempted back in the very near future.

Dinna fret CallieAnne - the castigators are the ones who usually whinge about being castigated. It is what is known as "projection" as they are merely projecting their own anger and frustrations on to you. From a psychological perspective this may be of assistance in understanding the "attacks" that you have experienced:

Projections protect us by keeping a lid on the terror that knowledge of our negative qualities might provoke. You project your own guilt and anger on to others when you judge and label the other person¹s actions instead of just observing or witnessing them. Carl Jung believed that the projection defense functions like a mirror between the ego and the unconsciousness personality. The negative characteristic that has been disowned which has been tying up psychic energy in the ego will be reflected in the person¹s daily experience

Alternatively just tell them to feck aff and use appropriately stirring smileys :wave:

• Agree 1

To put some perspective on it finances wise looking at the figures if we (an SPL club) have sold say 2,000 STs at £300 that gives us £600k. The Rangers (a 3rd division club) have according to my bluenose workmate sold around 35,000 at say £250 so far giving them over £8.75mil. That gives them over 14 times our budget based on STs alone. To say nothing for the £250k deficit we already run at.

I know it would be great to have bought in another Hayes and a proven striker but we have no money for this. All I hope that the team does it's best and shows desire, determination and passion on the pitch. If I feel the team has played to its potential and still lost you'll get no complaints from me. Of course if the team doesn't do that is a different matter.

Clearly there are other issues within the managers control such as team selection, positions, tactics, subs etc and if folk think these are wrong fair dos, I often disagree with TB too and some of his decisions can be downright baffling.

However the way some folk go on they'll no be happy unless we play in a manner that is a cross between Dutch total football, 70s Brazil and the current Spanish team. Hopefully our threadbare squad will come good and do us proud, but to write them off after one home game is very premature. Actually for some strange reason I,m more optimistic about this season than last.

• Agree 1

Callieanne, Hayes has been replaced by Connor Pepper, a youngster with potential and ability. In other words, exactly what Hayes was when he arrived here. Like for like. Tade was unproven at SPL level (some would say he still is) and replaced by Oswell. Again similar in terms of potential and hopefully with a bit more in the way of loyalty.

On the other topic, it is your absolute right to stay away and not buy the "product" if you feel it's not for you. Where and what you spend your money on is your business. The only disagreement that I would have is that it is too early in the season (for me) to make a judgement and I think there are already signs that things might improve this year.

I'm sorry that you feel castigated for expressing your opinion, and although I can't agree with IHE and Gringo Jnr's response I hope that you continue to look on and be persuaded to return. I for one in the Caley Jags Together camp would be happy to welcome you back.

• Agree 1

To put some perspective on it finances wise looking at the figures if we (an SPL club) have sold say 2,000 STs at £300 that gives us £600k. The Rangers (a 3rd division club) have according to my bluenose workmate sold around 35,000 at say £250 so far giving them over £8.75mil. That gives them over 14 times our budget based on STs alone. To say nothing for the £250k deficit we already run at.

I know it would be great to have bought in another Hayes and a proven striker but we have no money for this. All I hope that the team does it's best and shows desire, determination and passion on the pitch. If I feel the team has played to its potential and still lost you'll get no complaints from me. Of course if the team doesn't do that is a different matter.

Clearly there are other issues within the managers control such as team selection, positions, tactics, subs etc and if folk think these are wrong fair dos, I often disagree with TB too and some of his decisions can be downright baffling.

However the way some folk go on they'll no be happy unless we play in a manner that is a cross between Dutch total football, 70s Brazil and the current Spanish team. Hopefully our threadbare squad will come good and do us proud, but to write them off after one home game is very premature. Actually for some strange reason I,m more optimistic about this season than last.

Totally agree with your last paragraph. Nobody can ever "guarantee" entertainment at a football match but as long as the team shows desire, commitment and passion on the pitch, then they will get my support. Speaking to some Aberdeen supporters after the RC game, they said there was precious little entertainment from both sides yet the fans backed their respective teams to the hilt during the game.

• Agree 1

I am not suprised at the attendance I would be interested in other seasons attendances were our first home game clashed with the last weekend of the school holidays.

how about this, the club get into some mainstream stores around town, and sell them tickets at a reduced price but still enough to break even, how ever much it is per seat, must be 2-3 pound per ticket, in return the store put on an offer, perhaps every 25 pound spent you get 2 free tickets (no one wants to go alone) the store wins, people spend money and perhaps are encouraged to spend a little more, the club wins by getting more people in the gates. seems pretty simple to me, the club must have ties around the city.

how about this, some mainstream stores around town get into the club, and sell them their goods at a reduced price but still enough to break even, how ever much it is per item of goods, must be 2-3 pound per item, in return the club put on an offer, perhaps every 2 tickets bought you get 2 free items of goods (no one wants to go alone) the club wins, people spend money and perhaps are encouraged to spend a little more, the store wins by getting more people in the doors. seems pretty simple to me, the stores must have ties around the city.

the mainstream stores arnt struggling to sell there product. how about you try come up with an initiative that may help the club first before, writing off others sugestions. good effort :clapping: :clapping:

I'd give away 1500 free school tickets per game against the likes of Kilmarnock, they would never all turn up and with the number of schools between Elgin and Thurso there would always be takers.

Give interested kids a voucher for a parent. Kids who couldnt go with their parents could be mobilized through schools with subsidised coaches and supervision, coached in groups could easily be segregated together when you're cramming 3000 folk into 7800 seats.

Would all take cash and a bureaucratic headache for some dedicated soul but if we're going to make any sort of progress, then initiatives like this can't be half-arsed.

Should be viewed more as an investment than a marketing campaign, you'll get more of a return out of it in the long run than you could from any player brought in on the same money.

Edited by clacher_holiday2

A month or so ago I sent a sum of money to the club addressed to Mr Cameron.

I expressed the wish that they allocate seats to either disabled children or orphans in Inverness for the first game of the season. There were no other rrestrictive requirements. That was it.

I rationalised in my mind that at this time the club really needed a financial boost and that doing this would achieve two purposes.

a. Give these disadvantaged youngsters a chance, maybe the first chance they have ever had , to sit in the stand and see Caley Thistle first hand and maybe introduce a new dimension into their lives that might stimulate their emotions .

b. By doing so, raise the club's profile in the town and suggest that they really are a family and people -orientated club with genuine feeling of compassion for such as these youngsters,

The cheque in pounds was cashed, but so far I have not even had the courtesy of an acknowledgement and I therefore have no idea whether my request was adopted or not.

I am still going to be interested in the team but I can't help wondering if the new management , since George Fraser went, has got much of clue about P.R. -- or has it reached the stage, as in many modern companies nowadays it ppears, where the letters are opened by the receptionists who is the one who decides what has to be done about it , including whether a reply is merited or not-- meaning did the upper echelons of management even see my letter?

• Agree 3

I expressed the wish that they allocate seats to either disabled children or orphans in Inverness for the first game of the season. There were no other rrestrictive requirements. That was it.

I rationalised in my mind that at this time the club really needed a financial boost and that doing this would achieve two purposes.

a. Give these disadvantaged youngsters a chance, maybe the first chance they have ever had , to sit in the stand and see Caley Thistle first hand and maybe introduce a new dimension into their lives that might stimulate their emotions .

b. By doing so, raise the club's profile in the town and suggest that they really are a family and people -orientated club with genuine feeling of compassion for such as these youngsters,

The cheque in pounds was cashed, but so far I have not even had the courtesy of an acknowledgement and I therefore have no idea whether my request was adopted or not.

I am still going to be interested in the team but I can't help wondering if the new management , since George Fraser went, has got much of clue about P.R. -- or has it reached the stage, as in many modern companies nowadays it ppears, where the letters are opened by the receptionists who is the one who decides what has to be done about it , including whether a reply is merited or not-- meaning did the upper echelons of management even see my letter?

Email Kenny, I'm sure he'd look into it for you Pimple. Fantastic gesture btw.

Part of this post typifies the exact reasons that I haven't posted on the board since the end of last season no more so than Forza's attack on CallieAnne and I hope you feel suitably embarrassed by some of your content. Caleytillidie you have actually started what should have been a good post and on the whole it was but you haven't actually stated what you are going to do, yes you go to games and that should be applauded along with the others who make the effort to but to attack those that don't so blindly shouldn't be.

This post should have been about raising ideas which you should have started but didn't and upon those, who know more and do a damn sight more, raising ways that you can get involved you dismiss it questioning what help you could do - how do you know without making the call?

Caleyjag and myself haven't been this season, we didn't go to many last season and to be truthful the only reason is money, we are saving for a wedding and once in a lifetime honeymoon and to be honest see that to be more important than travelling along the A96 from Aberdeen every fortnight and spending the best part of £100-£150 all in - people's priorities change also as well as how they feel about our game as a whole.

Come next season we will be back and will attend a lot more games like we did the season we were in Division One and the season after but no one can come on here and tell us that we are not entitled to stop going nor should we be ashamed of not going either, if you want to pay for our tickets or our wedding then please do so and we'll attend but until then think about the reasons behind why people don't attend. Over the years we have paid our monies and in fact Caleyjag has since 1994 and even before the club was Inverness Caledonian Thistle but right now it'll be the radio and Geoff n the boys on tv for us.

Caleyjag just through a very interesting idea at me while I was typing this - she follows a guy on Twitter who is going to the Wigan v Chelsea game tomorrow, he paid £22.00 for his ticket to sit level with the halfway line!! I'll leave you with that thought.

Thats a nice gesture SP, I made a donation to the Archie appeal (upgrading the childrens ward at Raigmore hospital) via MFR last year and got a nice email back.

Perhaps the supporters trust can ask a few questions on your behalf at the next meeting on the wisest way to make your donation go further.

I am led to believe that if a person with special needs requires a carer, their carer will receive funding to get into an event for free, I know of someone who used to do this to visit Eden Court, as for the orphanage, these days children are temporarily put into care due to a bereavement or domestic issues, funding may be put into place from the social work to take a child out for the day? perhaps foster carers / guardians may need help. Or perhaps if a child is put into care the money could go towards taking the child's, brothers or sisters to a match with a social worker.

Not really my forte but Im sure a few experts could discuss and see what is the wisest way to utilize your donation.

Scarlet, I found a bit of Inverness footage from the 50s whilst looking for an Inverness Orphanage so will stick it on the nostalgia page.

Well, chaps and chapesses, I am pleased to add a positive note to my last post.

Today I received a very nice email from Mr Cameron, apologising for the delay in acknowledging my letter to the club.

Apparently he was on holiday when it arrived and the staff put it in the safe for safe-keeping until he arrived back. After that he was able to access it and, during a visit to Raigmore hospital with couple of the players to see a very sick young fan, he has made a beautiful gesture by inviting the very sick lad and his mother to be a guest of the club in a secluded private box at the next match at home, then to be shown the usual excellent club hospitality in the boardroom and to meet the players and so on.

Whether the boy can be allowed out of the hospital to go to the game prior to his recovery, and then going off to Australia to join his father who has now emigrated there and awaits the safe arrival of his family, may be problematical but from all accounts he is ecstatic and elevated in spirit already. I think he may well be there on the day and I know from my own expereince of 4 years ago ,when I was treated equally-well upon a rare visit to the club, the memories will be with him for the rest of his life.

You may take the boy away from the club but you can't take the club out of the boy's heart and memories.

It would be nice if this uplifting little story could be printed by the local Courier so that all concerned in Inverness can see that the club's officials are indeed highly-motivated and do care about the young and the disadvantaged in the town . Anybody care to give the newspaper a call - it's certainly a newsworthy event?

If the young man cannot get to the match then I have Mr Cameron's assurance that the club ..."will find a suitable candidate or candidates to ......take up the offer....and will et me know the outcome by email.

I am very happy that all's well that ends well and that the club's attitude in general has beeen amply vindicated by this fine gesture . I do thank Kenny Cameron for his thoughtfulness in doing this and for advising me promptly of the club's thoughts and actions :scotland::canada::cheer01:

• Agree 10