Our Stewards Got Bottle

NormaStitz

We must have the finest stewards in the SPL. Sat in the family section this afternoon I felt panic coming on when a man with his young son a few rows back produced a bottle of water. Imagine my relief when two stewards marched up the steps and removed the weapon from this pair of thugs and deposited it in the bin.

Our stewards deserve great credit for applying SPL ground rules in the spirit they were intended. It might have been a hot day, but if we're to see attendances increasing we must keep our fans safe by making a public example of these hooligans who are killing the game with their dangerous behaviour.

• Agree 10

Was at a cup final in Bulgaria a few years ago on what was one of the hottest days of that particular year. Security were taking all bottles of water off spectators as they entered the stadium and emptying them. Before the game even reached half time they were forced to give the bottles back out to the fans to fill them with water from the taps as there was no water available inside the ground to purchase.

Incidentally there was a pitch invasion at half time and the riot police had to be called to the stadium - not about the lack of water just because the cska fans wanted to get at the cherno more support who had been taunting them all throughout the first half. Strange thing is that as soon as the invasion started all the stewards disappeared thus the call for the riot police.

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

I find it a tad ironic that those in the crowd are not allowed bottles of water etc for fear that they get thrown on to the pitch....especially on hot days like today when, during every break in play, those in the dugout proceeded to throw bottles of water on to the pitch!!!

• Agree 4

A couple of seasons ago, on a wet day, Mrs G ( a known hooligan!!!) had her fold away umbrella taken off her because 'it could be used as a weapon'..maybe we should be issuing these weapons to the British army! As 40POCKETS says...and we wonder why attendances are reduced.

I almost didn't get in. One of the stewards said my companions and I were suspicious because we'd got out of a taxi with a Killie fan and split up. We were asked if we were Killie fans and one of us had to give his Inverness postcode in an effort to prove we weren't from Ayrshire.

Thank goodness we have these consummate professionals looking after us. Imagine the death toll we'd have had over the last few years if we didn't have these guys.

• Agree 5

I almost didn't get in. One of the stewards said my companions and I were suspicious because we'd got out of a taxi with a Killie fan and split up. We were asked if we were Killie fans and one of us had to give his Inverness postcode in an effort to prove we weren't from Ayrshire.

Thank goodness we have these consummate professionals looking after us. Imagine the death toll we'd have had over the last few years if we didn't have these guys.

That's absolutely shocking. Unfortunately, these people are the 'face' of the club to most supporters. We sat in the north wing of the main stand yesterday and had a steward stand and stare at us for no reason whatsoever. Terry's asking for fans to get behind the team but it doesn't really fit with the attitude of the folk in the luminous vests on power trips.

There was a lady a few rows in front of me in section C who was not in the first flush of youth and who was drinking from a small plastic bottle. Hardly a threat to anyone. Two stewards approached her and she had to hand over the bottle. She was allowed to finish the water (or gin) but it was like an addict having their dose of methadone being supervised in a pharmacy.

It may seem very unnecessary but the problem lies with the rule and not the stewards. It is all very well saying stewards should use their common sense and not enforce these rules, but where do you draw the line? Most people who might have a bottle of water to slake their thirst on a warm day are not going to look as though they may hurl the bottle onto the pitch, and how can a steward reasonably say to somone that they are confiscating their bottle because they look as though they are the sort of person who may throw it. And what happens if they don't enforce the rule and then someone throws a bottle and someone gets injured? The stewards would be pilloried for not doing their job.

As with so many things in life the answer should be in dealing severely with those who cause trouble rather than preventing trouble by penalising law abiding decent folk. Not being able to take a bottle in with you to drink is crazy.

• Agree 2

That's interesting. Some Coventry City fans who enjoyed their trip to Inverness the other week were on about travelling up for an ICT game. They would be wearing their own team shirts as well so I wonder how they would be treated?

I think you draw the line at common sense and using your initiative.

But that's where inconsistency and discrimination creep in and cause problems. Are you saying it's OK for a dad with a young child or for a "respectable" looking middle aged lady to be allowed to break the rules but not a group of perfectly decent youngsters who are wearing team shirts. If stewards use what they think is common sense and initiative it will mean that some supporters will get annoyed not just because a silly rule is being enforced but because the steward has made a judgement that the person they have targeted might just be the type of ned who will throw a bottle onto the pitch. It will be the inconsistency of approach andthe prejudices of individual stewards that will cause the agro rather than the rule itself. The rule should be "no throwing of bottles" rather than "no bottles". That way, everyone can be treated the same and with respect.

It is all very well saying stewards should use their common sense and not enforce these rules, but where do you draw the line?

Wikipedia, on the subject of the offside rule, states:

"Offside position" is a matter of fact, whereas committing an "offside offence" occurs when a player is "actively involved" and is subject to the interpretation of the referee.

Anyone see a parallel?

It is all very well saying stewards should use their common sense and not enforce these rules, but where do you draw the line?

"Offside position" is a matter of fact, whereas committing an "offside offence" occurs when a player is "actively involved" and is subject to the interpretation of the referee.

Anyone see a parallel?

The women steward won't understand this though.

I appologise to all women posters on here, I do value your input, its often better than some men on here anyway.

Saved?

• Agree 2

Anyone see a parallel?

Dunno lol?

The women steward won't understand this though.

I appologise to all women posters on here, I do value your input, its often better than some men on here anyway.

Saved?

Dunno lol

Edited by old caley girl

I think you draw the line at common sense and using your initiative.

But that's where inconsistency and discrimination creep in and cause problems. Are you saying it's OK for a dad with a young child or for a "respectable" looking middle aged lady to be allowed to break the rules but not a group of perfectly decent youngsters who are wearing team shirts. If stewards use what they think is common sense and initiative it will mean that some supporters will get annoyed not just because a silly rule is being enforced but because the steward has made a judgement that the person they have targeted might just be the type of ned who will throw a bottle onto the pitch. It will be the inconsistency of approach andthe prejudices of individual stewards that will cause the agro rather than the rule itself. The rule should be "no throwing of bottles" rather than "no bottles". That way, everyone can be treated the same and with respect.

Everyone knows that throwing bottles is unacceptable so no point in making it a rule. I think that plastic bottles should be allowed in the ground -that's REALLY showing respect for the responsibility of the paying customer. I realise that some eejit could throw one but the same eejit could run onto the pitch and clock somebody. The self same eejit should be then banned.

• Agree 2

Throwing them is a total no no, that's stupid and somebody could get hurt but certain managers are allowed to kick water bottles on to the park when thing aren't going their way, wish I was good on the computer then I could put the link here and have another wee chuckle. It always cheers me up when I see that clip

• Agree 1

Why are plastic bottles deemed too dangerous? Next they'll be banning bovril incase it scolds someone!

That would certainly be a new experience for me. I once had a good bo**ocking from my grandad's mug of Horlicks, but his Bovril always just sat there and said or did nothing (a bit like certain stewards I've observed when faced with a real situation).

I thought I'd said my piece on this subject but couldn't resist that one. Sorry everyone.