Small crowds? Little wonder!

A96

I went to the Killie game on Saturday with my son and decided to sit in the Main Stand for a change so that we would get a better view of the game. £42 is a fair bit to pay for a day out during a recession but seemed worthwhile. We queued at the first turnstile and asked for one adult plus one under-16 ticket - "sorry, don't take cash, try turnstile 4" was the answer when we eventually reached the front of the line. Went to turnstile no.4 and joined the queue there - "sorry, no under 16 tickets, can only give you a £21 concession". So we decided to go to the North Stand as normal. On our way to the far end of the North Stand, two very kind lads (who we'd never met before) offered us spare complimentary tickets. So we got in to the game for free! Sorry ICT - you lost our £42 on Saturday thanks to your Main Stand turnstile ticketing policies which seem to act as barriers rather than entry points to the game!

We normally buy season tickets but decided to pick and choose our games this season after the shocking discipline we witnessed at home games last season - players sent off, penalties conceded and own goals scored. Well our team played a fabulous opening 20 minutes and showed some urgency after the break. Overall we were second best to Killie and fortunately got an ill-deserved 1-1 draw (although I accept that our new team will take time to gel - and some of our new guys look promising). And yes - deja vu - our team gave away a penalty (brilliantly saved by Ryan) and finished the game with 10 men after a bout of routine stupidity by one of our players!

Meantime, the Main Stand was sparsely filled and the North Stand less than half full. There were 3,012 people at the match on a beautifully sunny August day. Thankfully Celtic are here next otherwise we could expect a crowd of less than 3,000. So ICT, if you want better crowds, rethink your pricing/turnstile policy - and forcefully remind our players that the ill-discipline that results in things like sendings off and penalties being conceded will well and truly scunner your fans, prevent you from winning games, disillusion your supporters and lead to lower attendances!!

At least I didn't feel compelled to ask for my money back on this occasion!!

• Agree 1

I think most of what you say can be seen as a reasonable account as to why someone may not want to turn up for games week in week out.

IE The turnstile policy could be revised and home game discipline could be improved.

But you let yourself down by saying 'I didnt feel compelled to ask for my money back on this occasion'.

Do you ask for your money back often when the team doesn't gain 3-points/has a man sent off/concedes a penalty?

My own reasons for not being at the game are simple. Trip to the vet, a few other errands to run and then I spent time with my family at the beech (it was glorious weather after all). Unfortunately by the time we'd been served our lunch in the cafe, time escaped us and we didn't get home till close-on kick-off.

I had intended to purchase a season ticket this season, but unfortunately unforeseen circumstances and a fairly high vet's bill have put a dampener on that one too.

The point I am trying to make is that there are many factors that prevent people going to games, on top of the clubs policies at the turnstiles etc. Maybe some people who usually pay-at-the-gate decided to spend time with their families on such a lovely day? Maybe some people simply can't afford to go to games - it is after all the holiday season, and dont forget, the kids go back to school this week meaning this was the last weekend to get bits done?

• Agree 1

Does this mean that Gringo Junior has been neutered or was it just fleas ? But the statement "maybe some people simply can't afford to go to games" is spot on. The gudgies will be very well supported as this is the biggest season in their history and they will spend that bit extra to savour it.

Its not the (often) pish football that keeps me away but rather the pish league. Even this term without one of their precious two, the league will still be pants. Yes, we get good results occasionally and we cheer on our team but are we going to win the league? No, absolutely not. So what do we have to look forward too? A top six slot or a fight against relegation? The out side chance of a euro place? I'm not a defeatist, just a realist. IHE is also right re those over the bridge. It will be a novelty factor to them just as it was for us when we first hit the dizzy heights of the SPL...and they got to play their first game at their own ground.There are many reasons why folk don't turn up and the main one would be the costs involved. Its not cheap any more and football is fast becoming a rich man's sport...and there aren't many of those type of people around.

• Agree 3

I think we are puting too much blame on the home fans for the lack of attendance. In previous seasons when I've travelled up on the train there'd be a large contingency of Killie fans at Perth station. On saturday there was none.

There are some positives to be gleaned for the style of play we are trying to achieve and I think it will come good as the season progresses. We do need to start taking our chances though but I dont think entertaining successful football is going to bring extra home fans. Inverness people are strange creatures in that they will find any excuse not to do something so there will always be an excuse not to attend. I also believe many of the Rangers minded who would have come to our games previously are boycotting us now.

I went to the Killie game on Saturday with my son and decided to sit in the Main Stand for a change so that we would get a better view of the game. £42 is a fair bit to pay for a day out during a recession but seemed worthwhile. We queued at the first turnstile and asked for one adult plus one under-16 ticket - "sorry, don't take cash, try turnstile 4" was the answer when we eventually reached the front of the line. Went to turnstile no.4 and joined the queue there - "sorry, no under 16 tickets, can only give you a £21 concession". So we decided to go to the North Stand as normal. On our way to the far end of the North Stand, two very kind lads (who we'd never met before) offered us spare complimentary tickets. So we got in to the game for free! Sorry ICT - you lost our £42 on Saturday thanks to your Main Stand turnstile ticketing policies which seem to act as barriers rather than entry points to the game!

We normally buy season tickets but decided to pick and choose our games this season after the shocking discipline we witnessed at home games last season - players sent off, penalties conceded and own goals scored. Well our team played a fabulous opening 20 minutes and showed some urgency after the break. Overall we were second best to Killie and fortunately got an ill-deserved 1-1 draw (although I accept that our new team will take time to gel - and some of our new guys look promising). And yes - deja vu - our team gave away a penalty (brilliantly saved by Ryan) and finished the game with 10 men after a bout of routine stupidity by one of our players!

Meantime, the Main Stand was sparsely filled and the North Stand less than half full. There were 3,012 people at the match on a beautifully sunny August day. Thankfully Celtic are here next otherwise we could expect a crowd of less than 3,000. So ICT, if you want better crowds, rethink your pricing/turnstile policy - and forcefully remind our players that the ill-discipline that results in things like sendings off and penalties being conceded will well and truly scunner your fans, prevent you from winning games, disillusion your supporters and lead to lower attendances!!

Stuff like that really annoys me - in general. People will turn up for the "Big" games vs Celtic and we won't see them till the 6th of October when C*unty come to play. I don't understand how people won't even bother about the small teams when there is a great chance of winning three points. Last saturday vs Killie was a good opportunity to get a good support and rally round the team and it didn't happen.

I can live with excuses of work or live too far from Inverness but not for football reasons.

• Agree 2

If you normally buy season tickets why didnt you use your own free complimentary tickets,you would have got in first time when you decided to queue at a ticket only booth, you would have sat in the main stand as you wished to do and could have typed nice words about getting in for free.

Someone kindly gave you free tickets and its still a bad day for you.

It is expensive taking youngsters into the main stand but the club need the cash for the prime seats, thats why its cheap in the family section.

• Agree 1

By the way A96, would you or those living in your area be more inclined to go to the match if for instance the Aberdeen/Elgin buses route entailed dropping off at the Clydesdale bank and picked up at Moray firth Maltings for the home journey?

Its only a slight route change but opens up the accessibility for the Longman,the Stadium and its free for pensioners.

If the Balloch, Culloden and Smithton bus occasionally took this route all non car drivers have access to the likes of Wicks ,B&q, Tiso's, HIS just to name a few, I would get the bus in on a Saturday and have a few in the bar.

Be careful what you wish for in terms of "entertainment". There's very few managers who could do a 'Pele' and give us results and entertainment at the same time ! Thats a balancing act that not just anyone can pull off.

I have witnessed the same debacle at Toronto FC, along with lack of entertainment and dropping crowds ......

In 2007, the team was crap, but they got a pass because everything and everyone was new ... In 2008, the team was slightly better but still crap at times, but they got a pass because Mo Johnston kicked himself upstairs and installed a new manager (John Carver). In 2009, the team was still crap, and it was a hard season when the manager quit after 6 games to be replaced by his deputy (Chris Cummins), who then quit at the end of the season as he wanted to go back to England. In 2010, the team improved a bit, but it was at the expense of playing good football. Preki came in and played mind-numbing grinder tactics (for ICT oldies, think Baltacha and seldom going across the half-way line). Games were won, but they were horrible to watch and the team still failed to reach the playoffs. At this point, he and Director of Football Mo Johnston were sacked. Nick Dasovic took over and Jurgen Klinsmann came in as a consultant tasked with finding the perfect "style" and "personnel" for TFC management. The style that fans demanded was 'entertaining' and passing football played on the deck'. Absolutely, the best thing to watch when done well, but Klinsmann catapulted Aron Winter into the job, a man who had done well at the Ajax Academy, but had never managed a first team squad in any league. Winter tried hard, and yes, he too got a pass in his first year where he tried to instill the style, and a rigid 4-3-3 formation, but ultimately he was jettisoned after 10 games this season when his league record was 1 win and 9 losses (not including the 2 leg win over LA Galaxy in the Champions League). Paul Mariner has now taken over and we are back to a more traditional 4-4-2. He has done reasonably well so far, but the season is pretty much over after that bad start, and again, he is going to get a pass from the diehards as he has turned around the early season results ... but again, he is doing it by grinding out results. He's not as bad as Preki in those terms, but some of the games have been ugly to watch !!!!

During this time, we have seen a stadium that once sold out every game (21000 capacity), and which had 18,000 on the waiting list for season tickets now reach a place where they still sell about 18,000 season tickets per year but you can always find a ticket if you need it without having to pay through the nose with ticket touts and with many of the 18000 season book holders not bothering to attend regularly.

Part of it is to do with recession, part of it is to do with the results, part of it is to do with the style, and I am sure part of it is to do with the lack of entertainment as well .... otherwise why would there be 47000 at the Skydome to watch LA Galaxy in the Champions league at $40-$60 per ticket, but only 5000 at BMO Field to watch TFC take on El Salvador's CD Aguila in this year's first group stage game at $15 a ticket ......

It will be interesting to see what if anything Toronto do about season ticket prices this year, but I still maintain that ICT could learn a bit about how the pricing works .... main stand is more expensive and it gets cheaper the further round you go until you get behind the goals in the supporters section .... perhaps easier to do in a 20K stadium than a 7700 stadium, but pricing it this way means TFC dont have loads of different types of ticket (no concessions for example), just pricing based on section.

I just had a look at the CaleyJags.com photo album from Saturday's match. One thing that struck me was the folk in suits who I don't recognise or know. I wonder if it might be worth some of the folk in the higher echelons of the club doing an "Undercover Boss" type experiment and going to a few matches in the way regular paying punters do. Might help to encourage the 'togetherness' we're looking for.

Finding some posts a bit depressing lately tbh!

To the original poster ive reread your post a couple of times to check but as far as I can see that despite getting free tickets you have nothing good to say about your visit on Saturday at all.

With regard to the turnstiles, unless they changed it on Saturday, there are normally signs above the turnstile stating if it is a ticket only gate or accepts cash. It normally states the prices as well. I also know they were training turnstile folk as well on Saturday. With regards pricing well if I go to the theatre and want to sit in the best seats well they will be the most expensive. The club offer cheaper seats in the family section and the north stand but the main stand are our premium seats. Think other clubs operate on this basis also. I do agree that football is expensive for families but it's not going to change soon.

I also disagree that our point was not deserved in fact had it not been for a great save from a nick Ross shot we would have won! As for the pen and sending off well I don't think either were done to annoy the fans!

This time last season was dire and we have 2 more points than then. I'm just waiting for a few weeks when the county tickets go on sale to see all the stay aways coming out of the woodwork! Then at new year there will be the moans when folk can't get away county tickets as folk haven't renewed their season tickets. Actually wonder what sort of team people think we should have on our budget? For me I want a team that tries their best to play football but not to the extent that we lose, a team that looks united and includes some local lads. I'm quite happy with the progress so far.

Edited by old caley girl
  • Agree 2

I understand that taking kids to the game can end up being pricey if you are travelling, parking, getting the food, which let's be honest is poor for the price, programme is now 50p so it ain't so bad. But if you can make the games based on 19 home games in the North Stand (family section) for an under 12 it works out at £2.10 a game! A season ticket for the price of an xbox game. For a 13 to 16 year old it works out at £4.70 a game and finally 16 - 25 anywhere in the North Stand it would be about £9.50. Of course that's if you make the games. TBH that's on par with the cinema and you don't always know if you are going to enjoy what you see there either! Fair enough if you have 5 kids but personally I don't think that's too bad value so long as they enjoy it of course!

• Agree 1

The club this year have a new season ticket, specifically aimed at families and it's for the uncovered main stand.

1 adult and 2 children for £220 for the season.

£42 for an adult and a child would equate to well over £700 a season.

Perhaps you could purchase this season ticket without breaking the bank, get your seat in the main stand and without turnstile hassle. Even if you only made 4 more games this season on those tickets, it's cheaper than paying £42 per game.

Edited by Gringo_Jnr
  • Agree 1

The club this year have a new season ticket, specifically aimed at families and it's for the uncovered main stand.

Perhaps you could purchase this season ticket without breaking the bank, get your seat in the main stand and without turnstile hassle. Even if you only made 4 more games this season on those tickets, it's cheaper than paying £42 per game.

Less than the price of a single adult in the North Stand (family section) and works out at around £11.50 a game, which is a fantastic price no question, but I'm not too sure for how long the kids would want to keep going in times of less favourable weather!

but I'm not too sure for how long the kids would want to keep going in times of less favourable weather!

Another excuse to stay away??? lol

I'm sure the odd poundland pancho would surfice to keep them dry as well as keeping costs down :happy:

Edited by Gringo_Jnr

but I'm not too sure for how long the kids would want to keep going in times of less favourable weather!

Another excuse to stay away??? lol

I'm sure the odd poundland pancho would surfice to keep them dry as well as keeping costs down :happy:

Personally, in a few years time when my daughter is old enough and hopefully wants to come to the games I'll take the hit and sit in the North Stand I think. The thought of a kid moaning for 90 mins would put me off more than anything on the pitch ever could!!!

To the original poster ive reread your post a couple of times to check but as far as I can see that despite getting free tickets you have nothing good to say about your visit on Saturday at all.

With respect OCG this is not so. If you re-read my post you will notice I said "our team played a fabulous opening 20 minutes and showed some urgency after the break." and "penalty (brilliantly saved by Ryan)" and "some of our new guys look promising". This team will come good in time - but we have to acknowledge that the disciplinary record over the last year (especially at home) has cost us dear in terms of results.

My second point (as above) was about doing something about discipline. My first point is that - while there are many positives about our club's treatment of supporters - there are still some niggles that need to be addressed when it comes to relations with supporters. Making it easier for a man and a boy to get through the Main Stand turnstiles when paying cash was a problem on Saturday. It needs fixed. But one of the other major niggles has been stewarding. As mentioned by someone else on another post, I also saw the stewards being OTT on Saturday in the way they dispossessed a harmless looking older lady of a small juice bottle as if she was about to cause mayhem, bloodshed and carnage in the North Stand. Yeah, I know 'rules are rules' but this was a harsh application of the rules. I well recall the last time we had really good atmosphere at a home match - versus Dunfermline some seasons ago. A good sized group of fans had gathered on the uncovered section of the Main Stand. They were fantastic - great singing, good natured banter and really getting behind the team. But they were standing, so the men in yellow weighed in heavy-handedly, ejected poor old Immortal Howdenender and snuffed out the atmosphere. Meanwhile, ever since then, away fans can stand and do whatever they like and are left alone by the stewards.

I have faithfully followed ICT for many seasons and if you check my earlier posts you will see that I have always endeavoured to be positive. But the reason I have made my original comments on this post is in the hope that maybe someone in a position of influence in our club might read what I have written and take note of what an ordinary supporter has to say. Maybe its a vain hope - but you never know.

My main concern is that we get the missing fans back at the stadium supporting their team and helping with the club's finances. What can be more positive than that?

Edited by A96

Thanks for this info Gringo_Jnr. I will check it out.

Have to disagree with Mannie here as this forum is fascinating from a psychological perspective at the moment. There appears to be a sudden intensity to "attack" any form of negativity - or perceptions of negativity - and then a realisation that much of what those posters are saying has an understandable basis, often when said posters have clarified their statements and pointed out the "hidden" positives. It is also so, so interesting that supporters who have been watchers rather than staters have decided to vent their feelings - and undoubtedly due to concern about their perceptions of the direction the club is going.

I really do feel (note I am using the "I" word again) that the events of last season have really had a marked negative effect on the support in general. The "fun" has gone out of supporting ICT for many. The "togetherness", the "family feel" and the "enjoyment" has gone but realistically so have the winning days of the SFL, the cup runs, being the favourites. The realisation that we are a SPL survivors in every sense of the word appears to have escaped the psyche of many. Even the ground "rules" of the SPL are clearly having a negative effect and the "joy" of huddling together in make shift stands and hedges whils standing, singing, moving around without the fear of being singled out by stewards are a thing of the past - sad but fact.

The solutions are far from easy or achievable. WE would all have to applaud the efforts of many to try and make life off the pitch better and I can understand their frustrations when peeple complain about their "treatment" as it feels "personal" to them and makes them feel that their efforts are worthless. But that is consumer satisfaction feedback and it should be a case of taking every gripe on its merit and learning lessons.

I also feel that some posters have painted a "new beginning" and hyped up this new squad and the so called "system". And then, for many, those high expectations are crushed after 25 minutes and they find themselves sitting in a "time warp" in season 2011-2012 and the feeling already that the bubble has burst and it is all going to be the same old garbage on display again.

That is why I feel that criticism of the tactical approach and selection is as important to change things around as anything else. I dont care what anybody else says but there are still basics errors being made that need correction.

BUT please, please have patience and hold the faith - I am. I am more on the pessimistic side but it really is too early to despair. If we are still getting the same posts in October and November then we may have to act but we have to give time for this side to get to know each other and we need to give Terry an Mo time to sort out the issues and the game plans.

Again it is not going to be easy BUT I - I - would be looking at the cups as being of major importance as a morale booster and - maybe apart fro Reguero - I would be going fer bust in those games and hoping that lady luck favours the draws.

SIMPLES

With respect OCG this is not so. If you re-read my post you will notice I said "our team played a fabulous opening 20 minutes and showed some urgency after the break." and "penalty (brilliantly saved by Ryan)" and "some of our new guys look promising". This team will come good in time - but we have to acknowledge that the disciplinary record over the last year (especially at home) has cost us dear in terms of results.

My second point (as above) was about doing something about discipline. My first point is that - while there are many positives about our club's treatment of supporters - there are still some niggles that need to be addressed when it comes to relations with supporters. Making it easier for a man and a boy to get through the Main Stand turnstiles when paying cash was a problem on Saturday. It needs fixed. But one of the other major niggles has been stewarding. As mentioned by someone else on another post, I also saw the stewards being OTT on Saturday in the way they dispossessed a harmless looking older lady of a small juice bottle as if she was about to cause mayhem, bloodshed and carnage in the North Stand. Yeah, I know 'rules are rules' but this was a harsh application of the rules. I well recall the last time we had really good atmosphere at a home match - versus Dunfermline some seasons ago. A good sized group of fans had gathered on the uncovered section of the Main Stand. They were fantastic - great singing, good natured banter and really getting behind the team. But they were standing, so the men in yellow weighed in heavy-handedly, ejected poor old Immortal Howdenender and snuffed out the atmosphere. Meanwhile, ever since then, away fans can stand and do whatever they like and are left alone by the stewards.

I have faithfully followed ICT for many seasons and if you check my earlier posts you will see that I have always endeavoured to be positive. But the reason I have made my original comments on this post is in the hope that maybe someone in a position of influence in our club might read what I have written and take note of what an ordinary supporter has to say. Maybe its a vain hope - but you never know.

My main concern is that we get the missing fans back at the stadium supporting their team and helping with the club's finances. What can be more positive than that?

Apologies A96 prehaps on retrospect I was a little harsh. As a mum who takes her kids to games I know how expensive it is and as for stewarding well dont get me started!!!! I like the start of the season personally. I like the optomistic feeling it has but reality soon sets in. It just seems that a lot of folk are being negitive at the moment sometimes about things that cant be sorted. However it would be a boring old world if we all stuck to the party line so all opinions should be welcome.

I dont know what the answer is to getting the missing fams back. It seems to me that the club is working hard for the fans at this time and the only way I can see that we would be able to employ more staff/players is to get more money in. The problem is that theres not a lot of money about.

As for customer service well I think the club probably does its best given the resources it has. If more people could maybe volunteer to help then maybe things would get better. if you have specific ideas for instance re the turnstiles why not contact the club and discuss them. I am certain you would get a hearing.

• Agree 1