Small crowds? Little wonder!

A96

I really do feel (note I am using the "I" word again) that the events of last season have really had a marked negative effect on the support in general. The "fun" has gone out of supporting ICT for many. The "togetherness", the "family feel" and the "enjoyment" has gone but realistically so have the winning days of the SFL, the cup runs, being the favourites. The realisation that we are a SPL survivors in every sense of the word appears to have escaped the psyche of many. Even the ground "rules" of the SPL are clearly having a negative effect and the "joy" of huddling together in make shift stands and hedges whils standing, singing, moving around without the fear of being singled out by stewards are a thing of the past - sad but fact.

The solutions are far from easy or achievable. WE would all have to applaud the efforts of many to try and make life off the pitch better and I can understand their frustrations when peeple complain about their "treatment" as it feels "personal" to them and makes them feel that their efforts are worthless. But that is consumer satisfaction feedback and it should be a case of taking every gripe on its merit and learning lessons.

Valid points, however the feeling of "togetherness" comes also from the actions of fans and not just from the actions of the club. Irrespective of being on the positive or negative side of view regarding the current team, the amount of unconstructive critisism of players and other fans plays to the sense of there being a divide.

Neither does some of the attempted justification and reasons for stopping supporting the team reflect the arguement that the club can do any more. The club listened to the fans and unlike Aberdeen fans many of our own have turned their back on the club (and do we really think that any greater level of entertainment is being offered by the Dons?)

Whilst I do not always agree with some of the tactical views posted by you and others (nor would I expect you to agree with mine - albeit I am alway right :wink:), I fully endorse the right of any supporter to offer a constructive opinion on tacticss, selection, etc and indeed value this in terms of a forum such as this.

• Agree 1

I went to the Killie game on Saturday with my son and decided to sit in the Main Stand for a change so that we would get a better view of the game. £42 is a fair bit to pay for a day out during a recession but seemed worthwhile. We queued at the first turnstile and asked for one adult plus one under-16 ticket - "sorry, don't take cash, try turnstile 4" was the answer when we eventually reached the front of the line. Went to turnstile no.4 and joined the queue there - "sorry, no under 16 tickets, can only give you a £21 concession". So we decided to go to the North Stand as normal. On our way to the far end of the North Stand, two very kind lads (who we'd never met before) offered us spare complimentary tickets. So we got in to the game for free! Sorry ICT - you lost our £42 on Saturday thanks to your Main Stand turnstile ticketing policies which seem to act as barriers rather than entry points to the game!

We normally buy season tickets but decided to pick and choose our games this season after the shocking discipline we witnessed at home games last season - players sent off, penalties conceded and own goals scored. Well our team played a fabulous opening 20 minutes and showed some urgency after the break. Overall we were second best to Killie and fortunately got an ill-deserved 1-1 draw (although I accept that our new team will take time to gel - and some of our new guys look promising). And yes - deja vu - our team gave away a penalty (brilliantly saved by Ryan) and finished the game with 10 men after a bout of routine stupidity by one of our players!

Meantime, the Main Stand was sparsely filled and the North Stand less than half full. There were 3,012 people at the match on a beautifully sunny August day. Thankfully Celtic are here next otherwise we could expect a crowd of less than 3,000. So ICT, if you want better crowds, rethink your pricing/turnstile policy - and forcefully remind our players that the ill-discipline that results in things like sendings off and penalties being conceded will well and truly scunner your fans, prevent you from winning games, disillusion your supporters and lead to lower attendances!!

At least I didn't feel compelled to ask for my money back on this occasion!!

Have you considered that if you had actually paid to get into the game it just might go some way to improve things on and off the park. The club needs every penny it can get its hands on this season. We as supporters must do everthing we can to maximise its income.

Edited by Kind of Blue
  • Agree 1

If the team perform week in week out, like they did against Hearts, then fans will want to watch. I was thoroughly entertained and very proud of the effort and determination that earned another vital point. The small crowd of loyal supporters will surely increase ,if the doubters can be convinced of a genuine desire to win.

• Agree 1

I'm goin To miss a the game on Saturday. The first time I've missed back to back games for over 2 years. And I'm gutted. What's that say about how the team have played?

I'm seriously considering going to Arbroath I need my fix. Can't wait for Motherwell. Going to try get a large group heading down on the bus.

• Agree 2

Also absent from the Ceptic game this weekend but at present im more than happy with the start we've made, was anxious given the bodies we had lost but we've shown some real metal in the first few games and a real sign that our youth development is making great progress.

Will be back for Motherwell and looking forward to it.

Adrian Durham said on the radio the other evening that being a fan means you follow your team through thick and thin because of the emotional connection.

After today's embarrasing home crowd, does this mean that we simply lack 'real' fans?

• Agree 1

Adrian Durham said on the radio the other evening that being a fan means you follow your team through thick and thin because of the emotional connection.

After today's embarrasing home crowd, does this mean that we simply lack 'real' fans?

I'd agree I know a lot of season ticket holders, but a lot of them wear Celtic tops, in pe or are more passionate about the premiership than us.

Il openly say I followed rangers for years because my dad is a rangers but I got a caley season ticket off my own back and I havnt looked back and now I despise everything about rangers. (the rangers) I know many that are the same.

I'd agree I know a lot of season ticket holders, but a lot of them wear Celtic tops, in pe or are more passionate about the premiership than us.

Il openly say I followed rangers for years because my dad is a rangers but I got a caley season ticket off my own back and I havnt looked back and now I despise everything about rangers. (the rangers) I know many that are the same.

Dinne worry Luke I followed Rangers in my yoof too. Then I grew up ;)

Dinne worry Luke I followed Rangers in my yoof too. Then I grew up ;)

We all wise up eventually. :lol:

Edited by lukemackay

It it makes anyone feel any better, County took 82 to Dens today. Just thought I'd add this.

What on earth are you on about? I'd say there was about 200-300 there today, plus Derek Riordan.

EDIT: You got your info from my mate on Twitter who was joking with you when you asked him the travelling support but as long as it made you feel better. :tongue:

Edited by staggy4life
  • Agree 1

Very well said DD. These "supporters" spoil the day out for those unlucky to sit near them. I have to listen to the same constant girning in the North Stand - that's why I much prefer the atmosphere with our supporters at away games.