Small crowds? Little wonder!

A96

Was there not a study done a couple of years back where they took the population of each town and city, the amount of teams that place has etc, and it came out that ICT did fairly well in regards to the average attendance, compared to the size of the town? Presumably with this season's average attendance, it's probably more in line with every other team in the SPL.

Was there not a study done a couple of years back where they took the population of each town and city, the amount of teams that place has etc, and it came out that ICT did fairly well in regards to the average attendance, compared to the size of the town? Presumably with this season's average attendance, it's probably more in line with every other team in the SPL.

Yeh think it was from our first season back up.

. Back when Aberdeen were sucsessful, they played to nigh on 24 000 for most home games,

Don't think so. Average gate was about 14000.

Well....im really remembering the European nights, when the place used to sell out. But even then...i reckon their average was more than just 14 000.....but hey...even then, it was a lot higher than todays attendances

I remember this...and it was partly what i was basing my post on. I dont think we are in much worse shape than anyone else.

Out of interest, does anyone know countys attendance on saturday. It didnt look that many

County had over 4000 on Saturday , about 1000 more than we managed for our home fixture against Killie !!!

Killie also took about 6 times the number of fans. That said, there would likely have been more fans in the home end c.f. our game the other week.

Oddly enough, our games against Killie have never really been that well attended despite all the goals so the attendance, whilst disappointing, wasn't exactly unexpected.

I remember that study, where it expressed average crowd size as a percentage of local population - if I can find a URL, i'll post it.. We were on a par with most non OF sides. In 2010-11, we averaged 4526 (9th), 2011-12 4023 (12th) and this year so far 4556 (11th) so we are actually sliding around a similar area year on year. What that does mean is that we barely scrape by and there is nothing in the kitty for the investment that will improve matters on the pitch to where people will come back. It's a chicken and egg thing really. What it does indicate is that, as has been widely rumoured, Uncle Roy's investment across the bridge is not sustainable. We are seeing an initial surge in a new product that everyone (including away fans) want a llok at. Once they see that it's nothing special - and it's not - they will tail off and the crowds shared between the two sdes in the catchment area will stabilise.

Obviously give C(o)unty credit for pulling in a decent support for the size of the place compared to us :sad: , yes I know they come from all over Ross shire but still.....

OK that's enough credit!

When teams make their second visit of the season they tend to bring about half as many as the first visit. Loads of examples from our place of teams like Partick, St Mirren, Dunfermline and even Hearts & Hibs who couldn't be bothered the second time round. I don't think the cabbagemen will see 4000 again for the 6 teams outside of the Dons, Hearts, Hibs, Celtic and us. Especially if they keep getting 0-0. Mind you they could get up to their old tricks and I'll be wrong :wink:

Why are people in such a rage about county getting 4000? The novelty will wear off soon enough.

Who's in a rage over County getting 4000 ?

People I've spoken too. Usually part time fans I must say though. I always have to explain to them how it usually works but their always in denial about it.