New I.R.A

Ten4

Surely the high school should have been first for a fix? Or do we generally try and pretend it doesn't exist?

The fabric of the High School is in a lot better nick than the Royal Academy, even though it's more than twice as old (1936 compared with 1977). The current Royal Academy building is a complete tip which began to deteriorate more or less from the moment it opened. It is also incapable of accommodating its projected future roll while much of the High School is surplus to requirement. In its heyday the IHS accommodated around 1500 whereas now it's about a third of that for various reasons - including because some snobby parents want their kids educated along with posher youngsters in other establishments.

Here's an interesting angle on the Royal Academy fabric.

As I said, the current 1977 building has become knackered after less than 40 years and will be rightly demolished in 2016.

But its predecessors at Midmills (1895), Academy St (1792) and even the old Grammar School in Dunbar's Hospital in Church St (1668) are still in full use!

• 1 month later...

Charles should be able to answer this one.

When did Donnie Munro teach at the IRA? I knew he taught Art at Plockton but was informed recently that he also taught at the IRA.

If that is the case, would he be considered the most famous person to teach at the School?

When did Donnie Munro teach at the IRA? I knew he taught Art at Plockton but was informed recently that he also taught at the IRA.

If that is the case, would he be considered the most famous person to teach at the School?

As far as I recollect it was at Millburn that Donnie Munro taught Art. I'm fairly sure he was there during the year I taught at Millburn (1976-77) and don't think he was one of those who moved on to Culduthel when that opened in 1977. He left teaching at a pretty early stage as well.

As far as I recollect it was at Millburn that Donnie Munro taught Art. I'm fairly sure he was there during the year I taught at Millburn (1976-77) and don't think he was one of those who moved on to Culduthel when that opened in 1977. He left teaching at a pretty early stage as well.

Charles does that make you the most famous person to teach at the school as you are a regular on the BBC?

I was at Midmills when Donnie Munro taught art. It was probably sometime between 1976/79. I did 3rd - 5th year at Midmills, then moved to the new building for 6th year which was 1979/80.

I'll definitely go with your verdict on that, ClassICT, since I only had a part timetable for one year at Midmills and wasn't about the staffroom a lot. I don't remember Donnie at Culduthel and indeed I'm now wondering if it was actually his girlfriend who taught Art at Millburn.

So I'll happily defer to your more direct knowledge - and in any case that also allows me to duck the question put by IBM in post #32 :lol: