IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

27 members have voted

1. 1. Where the feck do we play him

• El Libero
    • Central Midfield
    • Wide Left
    • Centre Forward

Sweeper.

We are shipping too many goals. Part of that is because we are getting caught on the flanks and because there is a lack of leadership within the back four at the moment. We are good going forward and having Foran as sweeper would allow the defence to press a little higher and for G Shinnie and Meekings to adopt more attacking roles.

He's had his chance up front and doesn't do enough for me in that position. I'd rather see Shane given a proper run up front and failing that we could always try other strikers we've signed. Billy works hard but he's never going to score 20 goals in a season.

May I again point out that I am not Doofers Dad.

Thank feck for that.

Although by denying the fact in a public act of denial you display a barely hidden subconscious desire that you wish you actually were Doofers Dad. Such feelings have been explored in depth in the psychological literature since the early days of social science and before that in the literature of the ages. "Methinks he doth protest too much" as me old mucker Billy Shakespeare used to say.

Such feelings of wishing to be someone who you are not frequently manifests itself in a focus of other people's opposite feelings of self adoration and results in an unhealthy fixation on narcisism. Fortunately there is a cure. Large quantities of voddies and coke either side of a football match should do the trick.

I see his beloved Dubs got well and truly done over by Mayo....not a good week for him then....

....oh and Doran's Rebels were well pumped by Donegal....

I would say wherever he best fits into that week's system as he is actually now one of our few 'true' utility players....if I had to choose one poistion I think I would prefer to still see him in a forward role (but not a lone one)

He's stronger in the air than McKay and he is better with the ball at his feet than Shane so id rather see him used in the centre forward role. Especially with Draper and OTJ in midfield. What dosen't work in his favour is that fact that he dosent seem to have a great understanding with Andy Shinnie which Billy does. Agreed with TBB he should stay up top but be partnered with someone.

Personally, I think he could do a job a full back.

Also, if he was to start up front, would Oswell be an option to start alongside him? From what I've seen of him, he certainly has a bit more zip about him and apparently has quite a clinical shot. He could be the type of player that could do well as a finisher next to Foran's creator role.

IMO, to get the most from Foran then sit him in front of the back 4. From there he can offer support where it's most needed at the moment (defence), but still has the option to push into the middle and/or allow the midfield pairing to push forward in support up front.

What's more, as Captain, it is easier to keep an eye on your team when they are playing in front of you....and with young/inexperienced players then having an effective leader who is able to lead effectively is vital, so let's make it more straight forward for him in fulfilling that role also.

I would agree with that in an ideal situation, hopefully as the season goes on this will happen, but at present without a regular striker who can and will score goals I think he should stay put up front

Shinnie, Draper, Pepper, Mackay,Doran. That do for starters?

The last post sums up the rest of the team well I think.

I think recently since we have been scoring he should be played at sweeper however the talent between him and A Shinne is incredible and if we could afford to, trying to forge a partnership between these two would be valuable.

The content of this thread tends to support the fact that we need to clone Richie Foran. I suspect that any proper poll would have two or three different postitions hitting similar percentages as posters have different views.

In fact, to me, his best position was when he played wide left and skightly deeper but he doesnt have the pace nowadays and playing him there as a leader would be a complete waste of time. As he showed at Well he could be an accomplished holding centre forward but I am not shure whether the Foran/Shinnie combination would work in that setting. Shinnie does not appear to wish to be a striker and tends to favour drifting back in to the "hole" and either taking people on or drifting behind defenders. That is another reason why I wanted to give Shane a run and concentrate building up his strengths and knowledge of the position, especially learning from Foran at training sessions. I concede that it may not work but it certainly is worth the try - or was as it would be very difficult to put Shane up front at this stage of the season and potentially crush any confidence that he does have. That is why I would prefer McKay or Oswell to partner Foran if he played up front, although it will be interesting to see how Rastamouse fits in. The bottom line is that apart from Foran we dont have any centre forwards. The concern is that I felt that we really totally overused the tactic at Well and other coaches will now be aware of it and nullify it.

I can see the logic in playing him a Russell Duncan type role in front of the defence, especially from the leadership and motivation perspective but I am not shure whether he would embrace playing there and have an inkling that he would drift out of frustration. Again he could certainly play in a two man midfield but that would be better with Foran being more of a ball player and somebody else in the hole. That may work but again I feel that the only player in the squad who could take on that role is Morrison and then we would have to "drop" Draper.

So that is why I would play him at sweeper alongside Warren, even in the short term. Warren looks the better player in the air and has more pace and movement. Foran could be a very effective leader in that position. It also allows him to be a "target" at dead ball situations. I suspect that it would also be good for Esson and Meekings and Shinnie would benefit as well and our midfield pairing would also be on their toes. It would undoubtedly detract from our offensive options but we desperately need to strengthen our defensive aspects. We have shown that we can score goals without Foran but you win points if you dont concede.

My selection if we had been playing today would be:

Esson

Meekings Foran Warren G. Shinnie

McKay Morrison Draper Doran

A.Shinnie Oswell

My concerns are that Butcher follows his usual stubborn pattern and perseveres with Raven,Shane and OTJ. The big surprise to me is that we havent gone for a more traditional centre forward instead of contracting McKay and Oswell - but there again maybe we did ?