ICT -V- Aberdeen

Scotty

Doran was clearly fouled but he had plenty time to bury it or move it on to Shane who had an open goal. Wrong decision but we didn't deserve to get the right one.

What a bizarre comment....your basically saying that he deserved to be fouled, and that is somehow ok that no penalty was awarded because he took a touch instead of just hitting it first time!!!

What ever happened to the concept of supporters looking for reasons to support a team and it's players? It seems to have become the norm these days to look for reasons not too!!!

What a bizarre couple of comments.

Of course I'm not saying he deserved to be fouled and I very clearly stated that the referee made the wrong decision. What I am saying is that had the right decision been made, Doran would be able to count himself lucky as he was fouled after having made a hash of a golden opportunity.

As for supporting a team and its players I think that can best be served by providing encouragement on the park and being objective both in crticism and praise off it on this forum. In speaking to any Dons fans I may, of course, refer to what a diving cheating squirt Fraser is, but the reality is he was on the receiving end of some tackles which should not have been made. That kind of indiscipline is not going to help the campaign this season and it serves no purpose in trying to justify it on this forum. Nor does it serve any purpose bleating on about a bad penalty decison when the ball should have been in the back of the net before the defender got anywhere near the ball (or the player).

No matter how good at their job people are, they do it better if areas for improvement are identified and worked on. By all means lets have some tongue in cheek banter, but when discussing serious topics let's try to be reasonably objective. It is completely wrong to equate being critical with not providing support - the reality is that objective criticism is often more supportive than saying "well done" when it was anything but.

And why should we be "looking for reasons to support" our team. No need to look. We should simply be supporting the team - full stop - and saying things as we see them. What is the point of trying to deceive ourselves and others that things are different - we learn nothing from that. I sincerely hope the manager doesn't resort to looking for reasons to support his players rather than telling them how it is. The changing room discussion on Saturday might have gone something like this.

"Christ we were hellish unlucky with the equaliser lads! Never mind, it was just one of those things - don't worry about it. You all did your best. There was no reason to think the referee would actually give the foul when Graeme pulled the lad's shirt. And what a cheating rabble they are to take a free kick before checking that you had all ambled back in to your defensive positions. And as for Jonny actually being able to cross a ball! well, who would have thought that? And what a great effort it was from the five of you marking that new lad, Smith. Or was it 6 of you? My but he's a big lad. Must be all of 8 foot 6! There was nothing anybody could have done to intercept that imperious leap of his. In any case, he looked a couple of yards offside to me. Come on Richie - get that Rioja open!"

I have a suspicion that Terry's post match analysis might have gone somewhat differently.

I will continue to support ICT by giving praise where praise is due and objective (and hopefully constructive) criticsm where it is not.

Doesn't explain why we didn't deserve the right decision!!!

" In speaking to any Dons fans I may, of course, refer to what a diving cheating squirt Fraser is, but the reality is he was on the receiving end of some tackles which should not have been made."

I disagree. After the OTJ challenge he reacted as if he had a career ending injury. Red card comes out. Two minutes later he's sprinting up and down the park again, absolutly nothing wrong with him. Scumbag. When a player conducts himself like that he deserves to be dealt with in the harshest manner possible. My only complaint is that Foran didn't kick him hard enough.

Charming.

Had Foran kicked him any harder then he certainly would have got a red card. That would really have helped our cause - I don't think. It's a bit of a sorry state of affairs when supporters are urging our players to physically assault the opposition. For the record, if you watch the highlights you will see that after being scythed down pretty fiercely by Foran, Fraser got up pretty quickly for a scumbag. He was lying down just long enough to check that his foot was still actually attached to his leg and then he was up and got on with the game.

We have some talented players. If they would just focus on kicking the ball rather than the opposition we might start winning a few games.

Yes it does. It's just that you don't understand the explanation!

:shrug02:

You don't "deserve" a penalty just because awarding a penalty is the correct decision.

Doran should have been awarded a penalty but he did not deserve one. What Doran deserves is a rollicking from the manager for failing either to bury the chance sooner or to square it to Sutherland who was in an even better position.

The referee also deserves a rollicking from the manager for making a very poor decision.

Hope that makes it clearer?

You don't "deserve" a penalty just because awarding a penalty is the correct decision.

Doran should have been awarded a penalty but he did not deserve one. What Doran deserves is a rollicking from the manager for failing either to bury the chance sooner or to square it to Sutherland who was in an even better position.

The referee also deserves a rollicking from the manager for making a very poor decision.

clear as mud haha.

lets just take the draw and move on eh. im just gonna say decisions evened themselves out, we can spend forever moaning about a decision or we can move on and put our stamp on the next game so that we wont need any decisions go our way.

my word of the season this season is onwards. spent to mcyh time last season wondering what couldve been.

• Agree 1

I get what you're saying, I just don't agree with your reasoning or logic....and yes, when ICT don't get a deserved penalty then I do expect our fans to be coming to the player/teams defence, not finding a way to use it as another stick to beat them with.

• Agree 1

Ta, no trick question, I just wasn't paying attention.

Just imagine if we had a natural finisher to get on the end of balls like those. Perhaps a penalty is the best we could hope for, which at least is an improvement on last season, when every time Tade was put through on goal I'd find myself thinking "Yes! We might get a corner out of this!"

Well to me the frustration was that Shane Sutherland really had put the wind up Anderson and co. Shane has certainly beefed up and he has the wee bit of extra pace off the mark that could lead to him muscling and outpacing a lot of central defenders. The penalty being a prime example - although whether he would have tucked it away if he hadnt been impeded is another debate. Then Butcher sent him out wide left which really did not make any sense to me as he really does not have the touch or the pace to play so wide. I was really looking forward to him being used as an old fashioned battering ram centre forward and I am sure that leaving him up there with McKay wider would have paid dividends. It always looks worse when somebody is stretchered off - that now gives us a dilemna but - with apologies to Shane - it takes him out of Butcher's tactical thinking for the time being.

• Agree 1

Yep looked to me like he caught the shin before the ball, but its aberdeen not ICT that appealed eh, mind Rossco's challenge/red card against Naismith? same tackle, appeal refused, feckin officials have it in for us for sure.

• Agree 3

On the face of it this seems like a strange appeal outcome. I don't know if there was a different camera angle available to them that we haven't seen, but the footage on the BBC is very inconclusive even if you see it several times. There is no doubt Anderson got the ball but it is less clear whether he fouled Shane in getting to the ball. It certainly looks as if he probably did to me although there was nothing conclusive. Others will correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that decisions would only be overturned if it is felt the referee has made a clear mistake. On the footage I have seen, right or wrong, it was a reasonable decision for the referee to make and it was most certainly not a clear mistake.

I suspect the panel was persuaded more by the manager's post match tirade against the referee than by what they saw on the video. I think he was well out of order - the referee had 5 big decisions to make and in my view 3 went in our favour and 2 went against us. He should have just shut up about it and focussed on the spirit of the team in taking the lead when a man down. We need the players to show good judgement and discipline on the park - he should be leading by example off it.

If the referee has changed his mind and admitted a bad call then perhaps he was persuaded more by the manager's post match tirade against him than by what he saw on the video. I wouldn't blame him if he did. It is difficult to maintain your objectivity when someone launches such a personal attack on you.