JD Sports Inverness - County merchandise

ForzaCaley

(sorry if this is in the wrong area, mods move it if you wish)

Was in JD sports at the retail park the other day and awaiting me at the front door was county home/away shirts and some merchandise. I know the JD manager well, so i asked what the abomination was at the front door? He told me that JD own Diadora and it is part of the deal that the nearest JD sports shop gets too sell their shirts. Fair play i thought.

However he proceeded to tell me......

JD asked ICT first if they wanted to ditch errea (because they knew the hasstle the fans and club had with shirts taking ages to get delivered etc.) and instead use one of their suppliers such as Diadora or Carbrini which are far better than errea. Also we would have our shirts and merchandise in the JD store. Our commercial manager said, no thanks.

After agreeing terms with County, JD sports went back to ICT and said that they didnt want to be seen supporting one local side and not the other so they were prepared to store ICT shirts and merchandise and in exchange asked if JD could get advertising hoardings at TCS. At first our commercial manager said 'no thanks' but then decided that JD can have advertising at TCS if they pay 15K to ICT. JD flatly refused and has since emailed round all Scotiish retailers mocking ICTFC.

JD is one of the fastest growing designer/sports retailers in Britain and has proved very popular since opening a shop in Inverness last July. They provide shirts for many English teams such as Blackpool and now wish to get on the Scottish market with St Mirren and County being their first teams.

Sure our club have done well recently at giving out free tickets to schools and making a 16-25 ticket price. However i can't help but feel our commercial manager has let us down badly here and made a massive own goal!

• Agree 1

Just bear in mind that there are two sides to every story, that our commercial manager would have been acting in our interests whilst JD act in JD's interest! Did your JD man mention how little ICT would actually make on everything they sold?

I've no idea as to the actual margins on each of the shop products. However I went in not long after the new home strips were released looking for one for my daughter (around 18 month size). The nice young chap told me they had sets - shirt and shorts but not socks like they used to for £40. I decided against it as I thought the cost was far to high for a tiny set that'll only fit for a few months. To be fair the lad did say that they would like to sell them cheaper but they don't make much on them as it was. Take from that what you will.

Even though I said I wouldn't, I bought an adult one for myself instead, it'll get more use, so economically it was better you see :wink: . I've now got 2 as I got one as part of the FFIT programme last night! :lol:

i'm unsure what the profit margin would be, I never asked. However my mate did say that JD were willing to sell errea ICT shirts in their shops with all proceeds going back to us in exchange for a JD advertising hoarding at the stadium. Seems a little short sighted when you think of the amount of people that shop in JD.

Anyway i had a wee feel of the county top and it is by far better quality than what errea offers. I bought our new top 5 weeks ago because i love the design but after two washes it is literally covered in bobbles and it's not the first time that has happened with an errea shirt. I know of people who have not bought the new top because of bad experiences with previous errea shirts also. Maybe the JD profit margin would not be as good as errea but atleast having a better quality of shirt would possibly increase shirt sales? I heard county sold out the first batch of shirts very quickly

They cannot stock a sports shirt because it is made by someone not owned by them? So they don't sell Norwich shirts in Norwich then. Or Italian replica shirts such as Parma's strip? They seem to be happy enough to sell Puma (Newcastle), Nike (Arsenal), and Adidas (Chelsea) though, despite not owning any of them.

Sounds like a fopp. They obviously have some grudge against anyone who is not mahoosive in their eyes. Fair dinkum - limits them in certain respects but they make enough money with the stock they do sell so maybe they aren't that interested in all aspects of sport after all and are certainly not locally oriented but just another large soulless chain.

Who cares? They can sell what they like. I seriously doubt that someone passes a JD sports shop, looks in the window, sees a strip and says "wow, how pretty, think I will start supporting them now".

And you know when you buy from our club shop that it is the club that benefits, not some tawdry retailer.

• Agree 1

I heard county sold out the first batch of shirts very quickly

Yes. I have also heard that they have sold out on all their hospitality and they have a waiting list for season tickets having been oversubscribed with all the thousands of supporters flocking to them. Plus Derek Adams took a weeks holiday in the Middle East and solved all their problems there during one lunchtime.

Oh to be . . .

• Agree 2

From what Ive read so far.

JD have approached County and sell their stock.

Have approached ICT and dont sell their stock.

Have then re approached ICT to sell their stock,( to keep an equilibrium with regards to not favoring 1 team) for free providing that JD get advertising to the value of £15,000.

ICT have decided that promoting their stock in a sports shop isnt worth 15k of advertising.

I have also picked up that the JDs boss is now in the sh1te for making things up/ exaggerating or for confiding in the wrong person. the JD Sports brand has been tarnished and the manager will be pulled in for a wee chat by his boss.

He probably didnt realize that what he calls chit chat with a friend, has lead to someone posting his comments on a forum involving the relevant club.

It sounds to me like you have let a friend down by blabbing on this site.

Or perhaps you have pulled a rabbit out of the hat where JD Sports sell our range, for the rest of the season for free to save any further embarrassment.

Either way I wouldnt go back to the shop if I were you. :smile:

Is JD still "the Rangers shop" or is that a franchise it no longer runs but is keen to replace? Whatever the answer to that, why has it taken JJB/JD so long to become interested in local teams?

Is JD still "the Rangers shop" or is that a franchise it no longer runs but is keen to replace? Whatever the answer to that, why has it taken JJB/JD so long to become interested in local teams?

JJB owned the rights for Oldco merchandise from 2005 - August 2012. However just recently Charles Green striked a deal with Mike Ashleys Sports Direct to be the main retailer of Sevco as of now, which will see rangers kit suppliers be Puma as of next season.

JD only opened in Inverness retail park last july

From what Ive read so far.

JD have approached County and sell their stock.

Have approached ICT and dont sell their stock.

Have then re approached ICT to sell their stock,( to keep an equilibrium with regards to not favoring 1 team) for free providing that JD get advertising to the value of £15,000.

ICT have decided that promoting their stock in a sports shop isnt worth 15k of advertising.

I have also picked up that the JDs boss is now in the sh1te for making things up/ exaggerating or for confiding in the wrong person. the JD Sports brand has been tarnished and the manager will be pulled in for a wee chat by his boss.

He probably didnt realize that what he calls chit chat with a friend, has lead to someone posting his comments on a forum involving the relevant club.

It sounds to me like you have let a friend down by blabbing on this site.

Or perhaps you have pulled a rabbit out of the hat where JD Sports sell our range, for the rest of the season for free to save any further embarrassment.

Either way I wouldnt go back to the shop if I were you. :smile:

LOL

Kudos to whoever the store manager (allegedly) spoke to at ICT and for spotting that they were an (alleged) shister....and that's before you take into consideration that none of the figures stack up.

They were after £15k of advertising which means that (assuming £20 mark-up) we'd need to see them increase shirt sales for ICT by 750. I'm also assuming that they weren't going to buy the stock and it would be some kind of sale or return agreement, so they could have taken the stock (additional stock which ICT would need to purchase to supply them) and stuck it in a corner somewhere (no incentive to sell them if they get nothing from the actual sale of a shirt) and if they didn't sell then they simply send them back and ICT are out of pocket the advertising revenue AND the cost of the returned stock.

You could argue that advertising space doesn't really cost us anything and it's better to have something instead of nothing for the use of that space...but that doesn't negate the risks involved with taking in additional stock which may or may not sell and having it dumped back on us at the end of the season.

Sounds like the store manager (allegedly) took whoever he was (allegedly) speaking to for a fool and (allegedly) tossed his toys from the pram when sent packing.

Is JD the John Duncan who was a member of the Caley Animals ? That would make sense to me as he still spends £15K a year in the Gellions. It actually scares me to imagine his visage on a feckin advertising board as it would feckin scare off more than it would attract but again it would blend in at the Tinkerville Toydrome ?

The answer to this situation is very simple ....... if a store is prepared to make a fool of ICT due to our commercial department disagreeing with the terms discussed, then the fans of ICT should give the said store a very big body swerve as they are a small minded outfit.

I can see them mocking Rangers/ Celtic if they disagree over a business proposition ... aye right!!

Simple, as I said, lots of other buying options on the net.