ie

Media Coverage

ff
AUDIO
TEXT
VIDEO
TEAM LINEUPS
post-2-0-25292300-1348321447_thumb.png

Matchday coverage really gone downhill .... no live commentary, listening to Open All Mics which Chick is trying to dominate and surprise surprise its the Celtic game thats the only live one .... oh well, never mind, West Ham - Sunderland and Chelsea - Stoke are both live on normal telly over here ...... Sunderland just score, Steven Fletcher.

Thought that was a deserved point for us. Hibs probably had more possession and moved the ball well but we fought hard and in the second half made chances. We started with Foran remaining up front, Graeme Shinnie alongside Ross Draper in central midfield and Conor Pepper making his first start wide. Early exchanges were cagey but we had a bit of the ball and a few half opportunities. Hibs were almost gifted a goal when our defence left a cross to each other and the ball drifted past the far post. Hibs began to take more control of the game in midfield and passed the ball about well and took the lead just after the halfway point when a ball forward saw our defence outpaced by Cairney (I think). His shot was smothered by Esson but he couldn't grab hold of the ball and our defenders couldn't clear and Doyle slid the ball in for the opening goal. We were a bit knocked by that and Hibs began to push the play into our half and control the game. They rattled the post when we didn't close down a corner and a drive came in from the edge of the penalty box. Hibs extended their lead when David Wotherspoon picked up the ball around thirty yards out, took a touch and sent a swirling shot into the top corner of the net. It was a completely unstoppable shot, and is a stick on for the best SPL goal of the weekend.

We were a bit shell shocked by this - I don't think we were particularly outclassed but we found outself in a very difficult situation. We rallied and managed to push our way back into the match. A forward ball was headed on by Foran, again the targetman for us, and Conor Pepper showed great strength to retain possession and slot the ball home from inside the area. Considering we picked up Pepper for nothing and he's only eighteen he looks a very good signing. We were galvinised by this and pushed forward for most of the rest of the half. Hibs keeper made a great save from Draper (I think) just before half time and when the whistle went our fans were relatively hopeful of being able to secure something. Hibs fans booed the referee as he went off, unhappy with not getting a decision in the build up to our goal.

The second half started with much the same pattern as the first. Hibs had some good possession and knocked the ball about well but we fought hard and stuck our way into the game. We didn't create any clearcut chances but managed to force corners and blocked shots. Hibs had to look lively at the back a few times, with McPake looking hard to beat in the air when we forced set pieces. Hibs did get free on several occasions but, similar to us, didn't force real chances. We brought on Gavin Morrison to midfield for Andre Blackman (big shout out to the Hibs fan who jumped over two rows of seats to gesture and shout at Blackman as he limped off rolleyes.gif ) and later introduced Philip Roberts and Billy McKay for Conor Pepper and Andy Shinnie.

Hibs were urged forward by a noisy crowd and they forced several corners and then made Esson into a fantastic reflex save, didn't see who had the shot I'm afraid. Shortly afterwards we broke and forced a corner. The ball fell to the back post and Meekings turned and fired the ball back into the box, where Foran slammed it home from close range. We spent the rest of the match falling deep and looking to protect our point, although in injury time Philip Roberts picked up and drove into the Hibs box before crossing the ball when perhaps gambling on a shot would've been the better option.

Overall, I thought we fought hard and scored a couple of well worked goals. I wasn't that impressed with Graeme Shinnie in the midfield engine-room role, Butcher obviously wanted to keep Foran up front. Gary Warren again looked a solid and calming presence at the back, Ross Draper was forceful in the middle of the park and Foran worked so hard up front and lead the team well. Hibs were decent I thought, they had some spells of possession and looked good on the ball.

• Agree 6