Nick Clegg and ALF ( all Labour's Fault )

Laurence

I listenned with some interest to Nick Cleggs speech today

He blamed every thing to do with debt on Labour. Although debt has increased under this Government

I remembered this web page I read sometime ago

worth reading if you are in to politics.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2012/07/02/banking-2012-the-crisis-we-have-to-address-and-how/

He blamed every thing to do with debt on Labour. Although debt has increased under this Government

http://www.taxresear...ddress-and-how/

There is another choice vote YES in 2014 :smile:

And get a bunch of toy town clowns in charge of finances

you must be joking

Our world debt would have happened no matter who was in power, just happened to be Mrs Thatcher's era which encouraged businesses to be profitable at all costs. Any large business just got hungrier and hungrier, caring more about profit than the client they serve in many cases, and only too true with banks.

I left one national and worldwide business as through the years they no longer cared about where the profit came from, indeed the client got less and less for their money, as profit became King, and as they cared less for their customers, they also cared less for their employees.

And get a bunch of toy town clowns in charge of finances

you must be joking

Laurence, those toy town clowns appear to the majority to be making a much better job than those big city toffs down south at the moment, and the previous regime. But no government will get every decision right, just makes them better if they make fewer bad decisions. A lesson this current lot seem to ignore. This weeks current gaff with the swearing toff, a policemans word is always given, and they are not allowed to be political, but an honest cop doesnt stand a chance if those in power have no respect towards them and us. Lib dems just seem pointless as they are toothless in power, and Labour seem gutless and directionless against a terrible Torry party who go from u-turn to gaff and back to u-turn again. At least the current snp leaders have direction, ambition and very few gaffs, just some labour left, but you cant please everyone all of the time.

Edited by bauhaus
  • Agree 1

June 2012 Scotland votes to leave the Union

The House of Lords ratifies the bill and orders a constitution to be drawn up

A further referendum is required on the Constitution

First pass the post is preferred by the Scottish electorate.

August Scotland votes for a Lower house comprising of 1 MP for every 50;000 adult ( about 60} residents and a senate comprising of 30 senators

A supreme court will also have to be elected to form the judiciary

A general election will be required and a designated parliament formed before power can be handed over

The British government announce plans to remove all military bases and regiments from Scotland

The bank of England announce they will not be supporting a Scottish Pound

November new electoral boundaries are drawn up

A hung parliament is elected with the Tories holding the balance of power

Scotland’s application to join the EEC is agreed with the provisos they join the Euro zone

Measures are insisted on by Europe to get down the inherited debt from the the Uk

Scotland also have to pay for support of Gibraltar and the Falkland Isles

The Royal Mail leave Scotland, a majority of Post Offices close

The republic of Ireland agree to allow Scottish passport holders to use their facilities throughout the world providing they pay rentals

Scotland reduce Corporation tax below British levels , England reply by lowering theres to a level Scotland cant compete with

Many industries leave Scotland for England were transport is easier to the Continent

So on and so forth

It’s the old story the big guy always wins whether it’s in the playground the pub or in politics

June 2012 Scotland votes to leave the Union October 2014 is the date for the referendum

The House of Lords ratifies the bill and orders a constitution to be drawn up If Scotland votes yes to Independence this will be a matter for the remainder of the UK

A further referendum is required on the Constitution If Scotland votes yes to Independence this will be a matter for the remainder of the UK

First pass the post is preferred by the Scottish electorate. Why then do Scottish Parliamentary elections also have regional lists with PR weightings?

August Scotland votes for a Lower house comprising of 1 MP for every 50;000 adult ( about 60} residents and a senate comprising of 30 senators Why would we "need" a second house?

A supreme court will also have to be elected to form the judiciary We already have our own court system, no need to change it.

A general election will be required and a designated parliament formed before power can be handed over The current SNP would form a transition government in preparation for an elected Independent Scottish Government & Parliament.

The British government announce plans to remove all military bases and regiments from Scotland Including Coulport? Think again!

The bank of England announce they will not be supporting a Scottish Pound Where did you get this from? Post a credible link please not just ill informed speculation.

November new electoral boundaries are drawn up In Scotland or rUK? What is the relevance anyway?

A hung parliament is elected with the Tories holding the balance of power In Scotland or rUK? What is the relevance anyway?

Scotland’s application to join the EEC is agreed with the provisos they join the Euro zone EEC? Showing your age now son! We on't join the Euro without another referendum.

Measures are insisted on by Europe to get down the inherited debt from the the Uk Understandable.

Scotland also have to pay for support of Gibraltar and the Falkland Isles Nonsense, but if it were so Scotland would be in line for a windfall from oil revenues in south Atlantic.

The Royal Mail leave Scotland, a majority of Post Offices close Royal Mail leave Scotland every night and all Post Offices close every day. Please provide evidence of your claims being anything other than idle speculation.

The republic of Ireland agree to allow Scottish passport holders to use their facilities throughout the world providing they pay rentals What facilities are they and why wouldn't we continue to use the facilities we already jointly own?

Scotland reduce Corporation tax below British levels , England reply by lowering theres to a level Scotland cant compete with Idle speculation again.

Many industries leave Scotland for England were transport is easier to the Continent Would Scotland be further away from Europe post Independence?

So on and so forth with lot's of idle speculation and no evidence at all.

It’s the old story the big guy always wins whether it’s in the playground the pub or in politics We have the chance to change that in 2014.

Why do you even bother?

• Agree 2

June 2012 Scotland votes to leave the Union October 2014 is the date for the referendum

The House of Lords ratifies the bill and orders a constitution to be drawn up If Scotland votes yes to Independence this will be a matter for the remainder of the UK

A further referendum is required on the Constitution If Scotland votes yes to Independence this will be a matter for the remainder of the UK

First pass the post is preferred by the Scottish electorate. Why then do Scottish Parliamentary elections also have regional lists with PR weightings?

August Scotland votes for a Lower house comprising of 1 MP for every 50;000 adult ( about 60} residents and a senate comprising of 30 senators Why would we "need" a second house?

A supreme court will also have to be elected to form the judiciary We already have our own court system, no need to change it.

A general election will be required and a designated parliament formed before power can be handed over The current SNP would form a transition government in preparation for an elected Independent Scottish Government & Parliament.

The British government announce plans to remove all military bases and regiments from Scotland Including Coulport? Think again!

The bank of England announce they will not be supporting a Scottish Pound Where did you get this from? Post a credible link please not just ill informed speculation.

November new electoral boundaries are drawn up In Scotland or rUK? What is the relevance anyway?

A hung parliament is elected with the Tories holding the balance of power In Scotland or rUK? What is the relevance anyway?

Scotland’s application to join the EEC is agreed with the provisos they join the Euro zone EEC? Showing your age now son! We on't join the Euro without another referendum.

Measures are insisted on by Europe to get down the inherited debt from the the Uk Understandable.

Scotland also have to pay for support of Gibraltar and the Falkland Isles Nonsense, but if it were so Scotland would be in line for a windfall from oil revenues in south Atlantic.

The Royal Mail leave Scotland, a majority of Post Offices close Royal Mail leave Scotland every night and all Post Offices close every day. Please provide evidence of your claims being anything other than idle speculation.

The republic of Ireland agree to allow Scottish passport holders to use their facilities throughout the world providing they pay rentals What facilities are they and why wouldn't we continue to use the facilities we already jointly own?

Scotland reduce Corporation tax below British levels , England reply by lowering theres to a level Scotland cant compete with Idle speculation again.

Many industries leave Scotland for England were transport is easier to the Continent Would Scotland be further away from Europe post Independence?

It’s the old story the big guy always wins whether it’s in the playground the pub or in politics We have the chance to change that in 2014.

Why do you even bother?

That's got more red writing than my old english jotters! :crazy:

I find the currency thing particularly amusing. All but £3M of Scottish notes is underwritten by the issuing banks either holding baring bonds or Bank of England notes/coins in stock. Last time I saw a figure it suggest that their were around £2 Billion of Scottish notes in circulation...so if the Bank of England wanted to stop supporting Scottish notes then they would also have to return that money. The simple answer then for the Scottish Notes system would be for the banks to put that money on deposit with the Scottish Treasury, thus securing the currency and allowing it to continue unhindered.

Furthermore, given how heavily "invested" Scottish based banks are south of the border...I can't see the Bank of England being in a hurry to cut us loose.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here but you're surely not dragging up that old chestnut of suggesting that people would be conned into voting "yes" in 2014 simply to get rid of the Tories or the Coalition which is clearly going to happen anyway at the next general election (if the Coalition doesn't actually fall apart before then)?

That would be a wee bit like persuading somebody to undergo a dangerous course of radiotherapy when a couple of paracetamols would do.

"Separation is for life - not just for Christmas!"

"Vote 'yes' in haste - repent at leisure" :lol:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here but you're surely not dragging up that old chestnut of suggesting that people would be conned into voting "yes" in 2014 simply to get rid of the Tories or the Coalition which is clearly going to happen anyway at the next general election (if the Coalition doesn't actually fall apart before then)?

That would be a wee bit like persuading somebody to undergo a dangerous course of radiotherapy when a couple of paracetamols would do.

"Separation is for life - not just for Christmas!"

"Vote 'yes' in haste - repent at leisure" :lol:

Charles, I fully understand what I will be voting for and it's not in haste!

Charles, unfortunately what is more likely to happen is the Lib Dems divorce the Torries and almost disappear, Labour tread water after the Torries remind people time and time again it was all Labours fault, and The south of Englandshire vote in the Torries again, even though they get less than 10% of the vote in Scotland and Wales, and nowt in Northern Ireland.

Result, Scotland again gets ruled by someone nobody here wants, Sounds like a dictatorship.

Possible best result, Scotland votes YES, and then get someone the majority wants in place. SNP want us to become like Denmark, Sweden and Norway, a move which would make us a better nation. You know they look at the UK as a backwards nation, and having been there several times, you can see why. They look after their people and all the infrastructure much better. In fact they currently put us to shame.

SNP want us to become like Denmark, Sweden and Norway, a move which would make us a better nation.

I thought Ireland was the role model? And Iceland doesn't get many mentions these days either! But they are perhaps more like Scotland, in that for 10 years they were booming on the back of their banks which were rapidly expanding abroad, but on shaky foundations and ultimately with ideas above their station. When it all went tits up, at least we had a big sister to bail us out and share the pain. Where would we have got the £88bn from? That's quite a burden for our 2.5m taxpayers. We'd be more bankrupt than Greece.

Regardless of that, independence in itself won't make us anything like those 'better nations' you quote. You'd have to look at what actual policies make those places the way they are, and consider whether whoever was in power here would do the same things. We already have the ability and power to do a lot of things that are done over there, but chose not to. In other cases we are implementing similar measures, like making alcohol and cigarettes more expensive and more difficult to obtain. More importantly, would we go down the high taxation/high social spending route, driving money and business down south, or reduce taxes to make Scotland an attractive place for investment but then have less money in the coffers? If nobody knows, nobody can say what sort of country we would be.

• Agree 1

Why do you even bother?

That's got more red writing than my old english jotters! :crazy:

My post got you on the back foot and you fell for it

I was as you know just trying to expose the whole business and the vote as a complete sham

The SNP have caused a whole load of confusion just so they can grab power

They are not interested in the long game, just interested in their own selfish ends

People who bring up every day UK politics are off topic completely and I don't mean the topic of this forum, but topic of Independence in general

To become a separate country is for ever , just like in Ireland who left the Union in 1922 , for reasons both historical and religious. Actually it is quite ironic that it was mainly protestant Scots who caused a a lot of the trouble.

Anyway my point is it does not matter how bad the London government is now, or how good the Ediburgh government is , it is quite off the point. Governments change every few years. Some are better than others. I was born in 1943 . I have lived through Churchill Atlee, Churchill again, Edan, MacMillan, Douglas Home, Wilson, Heath, Wilson again, Callaghan, Thatcher, Blair , Brown . and Carmeron. At lot of Scottish names there. All the governments have been different all made mistakes and all changed things and with the exception of the incumbant have left the scene. Over the nwxt 70 years all will happen again.

Now to say as my first challenger said, because of Nick Clegg vote yes, if quite stupid, if I vote yes, I am voting away the future. Nobody knows what the Edinburgh government will be like in 10 , 20 50, or even 100 years.

You cant go Independent on a whim because of a short term belief that the politicians in Ediburgh are better than those in London

Get your red pen Marxist pen out and scribble away, you are easy to wind up.

If you wonder why I said that, ask Alex Salmond what is political beliefs are?

Laurence, I just had a look at your signature and it isn't true - I know of at least one long-distance truck driver who has been convicted committing a crime while reading a book - police charged him for dangerous driving. Mind you, it is as accurate as your posts on the referendum topic. While some of your points have certain validity, you persistently undermine it with reactionary drivel that actually does our cause more harm than good. You are Nicola Sturgeon and I claim my £5!

Spelling OK for you this time DC? Nice to see someone actually reads my posts . . .

Possible best result, Scotland votes YES, and then get someone the majority wants in place. SNP want us to become like Denmark, Sweden and Norway,

Couple of points here.

Firstly IF Scotland were to vote for separation, the SNP would become completely redundant because they're only, to echo Billy Connolly's reference to the "wee pretendy parliament", a "wee pretendy political party" - inasmuch as they are in effect only really a single issue pressure group and simply don't give a toss about anything apart from separation and their referendum. Absolutely everything they do and think is governed hook, line and sinker by their sole objective of a yes vote. As a result in their book the best interests of the Scottish people in their every day lives are totally secondary to the SNP's sole raison d'etre.

Which brings me on to what would happen after a yes vote. There would now be no need for an SNP so politics would revert to a contest among the "real" parties whose priorities, whether you agree or disagree with them, revolve round proper mainstream politics and not the SNP's single issue.

So you are back where you started - so a yes vote would change absolutely nothing in that respect.

Secondly, I would also endorse yngwie's point that it doesn't seem all that long since the separatist lobby was singing the praises of Ireland and Iceland from the "arc of prosperity" :lol:

So... "you're not singing.. you're not singing... you're not singing any more" on that one because these countries have now become classic examples of small population bases finding it so easy to become financial basket cases when the going gets tough.

Instead you quote Norway (finite oil reserves are just for Christmas... separation is for life) Denmark and Sweden.

Right... so that'll be Norway where the standard rate of income tax is 28% (20% here), petrol is 25% dearer than it is here (see what having so much oil does for them!) and drink is so expensive that even if Salmond's EU challenged price hike were applied here, ours would still seem dirt cheap... etc etc....

Somebody also mentioned dictatorship. I really can't think of a more complete dictatorship than the SNP where all the party gofers and apparatchiks from Sturgeon downwards are all clones of Salmond (in mind if not in body :lol: )... right down to that silly patronising little giggle which he affects and which all the acolytes sycophantically copy.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

It's not about the policy making decisions of any party as is....it's the fact that they are having to make policies for the majority, and in for too many cases, those decisions impact on me in a way that I dislike. By reducing the size of the area which decision makers are making policies for then you increase the chances of getting more relevant policies and/or policies that suit the people the impact upon.

And before you come back with it, I'm not interested in your silly wee stories about the Highlands wanting independence and taking it the extreme.

Yes, the SNP are a one agenda party and if we were to get independence then I probably couldn't see myself voting for them to run an independent Scotland....but that's not to say that a Scottish Labour, Scottish Tory party or whatever is going to run things the way Scotland is run just now from Westminster. They'll be setting policy and running things with a focus on Scotland, not a focus on England with the occasional pandering to their Northern or Western neighbours.

Charles what‘s your opinion on Scottish Labours lurch to the right? It‘s about time New Labour and the Tories merged. I can‘t see a difference. As for the Lib Dems, maybe Vince Cable can take them back to the centre left. In the mean time the only parties worth voting for are the SNP and the Greens.

• Agree 1

I am firmly in the "don't know" camp and I am looking forward to trying to tease out the genuine arguments from the nonsense spouted by those of both sides who hold strong opinions. One of the major bits of nonsense is the view Charles repeats above that the SNP is a one issue party and if they gain independence they will no longer have a reason to exist.

Of course they are just as much a legitimate party as any other. Their political philosophy is very clear to most voters and a lot of people like what they say and do and have voted them back into office despite not being in favour of independence. MSPs, Councillors and activists of the SNP care very much for Scotland. They obviously believe that the interests of the Scottish people are best served through independence but it is complete nonsense to suggest if they won independence they would all of a sudden have no interest in implementing the policies that the voters find attractive now. In fact, the opposite will be the case. Without the constraints of the Westminster Parliament an independent Scottish Government would be better able to implement the policies voted for by people in Scotland. Rather than there being no need for the SNP some might argue that the raison d'etre of voting for independence would be so that the country could benefit from the political and social manifesto offered by the SNP.

Charles, you'll have to do better than that. With arguments like that my pen is veering towards the "yes" box.

• Agree 1

Possible best result, Scotland votes YES, and then get someone the majority wants in place. SNP want us to become like Denmark, Sweden and Norway,

from Sturgeon downwards are all clones of Salmond (in mind if not in body :lol: )... right down to that silly patronising little giggle which he affects and which all the acolytes sycophantically copy.

Charles I have to agree with you about that last sentince it must come with training at the SNP school! There are clones in all parties which is a serious thought having another Margaret Thatcher or Tony Blair who did nothing for Scotland!

By reducing the size of the area which decision makers are making policies for then you increase the chances of getting more relevant policies and/or policies that suit the people the impact upon.

You mean like Salmond scrapping local police and fire authorities and replacing them with a single Scotland wide one?

And briefly to address CC's question about Labour's lurch to the right - they are politicians like the rest of them and that is presumably what they think is most likely to get them elected. After all, this isn't Labour's first lurch to the right. In order to become electable after the bleak Michael Foot years they lurched to the right under Blair. In fact back in the 20s and 30s Ramsay MacDonald didn't take long to start hobnobbing with the establishment after he became PM and it could possibly be argued that the reality of the Atlee administration post 1945 was a good deal less left wing than had originally been the plan.

The Labour Party does tend to be something of a political chameleon and most definitely abandoned socialism in the 90s in order to become electable.

My post got you on the back foot and you fell for it You've lost me, please explain.

I was as you know just trying to expose the whole business and the vote as a complete sham Again, please explain what you mean

The SNP have caused a whole load of confusion just so they can grab power The SNP were elected by the people of Scotland and the referendum was high on their manifesto when the people of Scotland elected them as it always has been.

They are not interested in the long game, just interested in their own selfish ends SELF determination? That's not a short term goal for a party that's been campaigning for decades, nor is independence the destination.

People who bring up every day UK politics are off topic completely and I don't mean the topic of this forum, but topic of Independence in general So who started this topic? I'm going to quote a poster from another forum and although he is a passive aggressive I find this quite an appropriate response to that statement. ^^^^^^Scrambling for relevance!

To become a separate country is for ever , just like in Ireland who left the Union in 1922 , for reasons both historical and religious. Actually it is quite ironic that it was mainly protestant Scots who caused a a lot of the trouble. We are already a seperate country as was and is Ireland. Did you not see the big sign when you crossed the border?

Anyway my point is it does not matter how bad the London government is now, or how good the Ediburgh government is , it is quite off the point. Governments change every few years. Some are better than others. I was born in 1943 . I have lived through Churchill Atlee, Churchill again, Edan, MacMillan, Douglas Home, Wilson, Heath, Wilson again, Callaghan, Thatcher, Blair , Brown . and Carmeron. At lot of Scottish names there. All the governments have been different all made mistakes and all changed things and with the exception of the incumbant have left the scene. Over the nwxt 70 years all will happen again. The campaign for Independence is not a protest about the current incumbents at Westminster although they have added to the appeal to many voters.

Now to say as my first challenger said, because of Nick Clegg vote yes, if quite stupid, if I vote yes, I am voting away the future. Nobody knows what the Edinburgh government will be like in 10 , 20 50, or even 100 years. Nobody knows what the Westminster government will be like in 10 , 20, 50, or even 100 years. We can make an educated guess though.

You cant go Independent on a whim because of a short term belief that the politicians in Ediburgh are better than those in London Repeating your point in many different guises doesn't make it any less wrong than the first time. Stop trying to scaremonger please. Offer something to the debate than spouting your regurgetated claptrap.

Get your red pen Marxist pen out and scribble away, you are easy to wind up. If I was wound up a two word response would have sufficed.

If you wonder why I said that, ask Alex Salmond what is political beliefs are? Alex Salmonds political beliefs mean nothing to me, I'm a member of the SNP and I don't care what anyone elses political beliefs are. I am happy to be governed by a government elected by the majority of voters in the country in which I live, Scotland.

Couple of points here.

Firstly IF Scotland were to vote for separation, the SNP would become completely redundant because they're only, to echo Billy Connolly's reference to the "wee pretendy parliament", a "wee pretendy political party" - inasmuch as they are in effect only really a single issue pressure group and simply don't give a toss about anything apart from separation and their referendum. Absolutely everything they do and think is governed hook, line and sinker by their sole objective of a yes vote. As a result in their book the best interests of the Scottish people in their every day lives are totally secondary to the SNP's sole raison d'etre.

Which brings me on to what would happen after a yes vote. There would now be no need for an SNP so politics would revert to a contest among the "real" parties whose priorities, whether you agree or disagree with them, revolve round proper mainstream politics and not the SNP's single issue.

So you are back where you started - so a yes vote would change absolutely nothing in that respect. With a Scottish socialist government in Edinburgh spending revenues generated in Scotland on Scottish projects? Absolutely nothing changed, eh? Obviously I am speculating but so is every single other poster here. You have your agenda, Laurence his, I have mine and that is simply to have home rule by whomever it is. Post Independence, I initially see the SNP as a socialist party but there is a broad church in the party and it will without a doubt splinter. In that respect I believe you are right, we will end up with a similar set-up of parties to the left, right and centre but the fundamental difference is they will be parties made up with people living and working in Scotland, thereby being more accountable to the people of Scotland.

Somebody also mentioned dictatorship. I really can't think of a more complete dictatorship than the SNP where all the party gofers and apparatchiks from Sturgeon downwards are all clones of Salmond (in mind if not in body :lol: )... right down to that silly patronising little giggle which he affects and which all the acolytes sycophantically copy.

I sometimes struggle with the concept that you are a published journalist. Then I see the front page of the Highland News and it makes sense.

• Agree 2

some of the points against independence on here are so laughable. None of us seriously know how good or bad it would be, but the SNP track record does stand up, and they have done more for Scotland. However we are a long long way behind those Nordic countries, and if anyone was to visit them they would realise what is possible. I have been to 3 of them in recent times, post recession, and standards are what we should be striving to achieve.

A lot of serious questions will be asked in the lead up to the vote, and we will all have the opportunity to listen and decide, but to post stupid petty things really doesnt change anyones thought process.

If Scotland were to gain independence, which is still a big if, Scotland will still have the same mechanics of the make up, Torries, Liberals, Labour and SNP, who would each influence the direction the country would go.

If Scotland vote to stay as part of the British union, peoples desire for independence will not diminish, but continued **** from London may well increase that desire, however, a no vote may also alter Londons thinking towards Scotland, and improve understanding