ICT -V- Dundee Utd

Scotty

So delighted Roberts started today. I think he's the best reader of the game since we had (the mercenary) Marius Niculae was at the club. The hospitality in the Kingsmills today was top notch - highly recommend it. It was entertaining being in the main stand today - I think I spent about 25% of the time watching Terry screaming orders at the players. We're really lucky to support such a great club. Truly the pride of the north.

• Agree 2

I feel that i should put in a positive comment for once as i have been very critical at times, as you guys know.

This was an excellent result and a great performance going by comments on here, i did have a good feeling about this afternoon but not in my wildest dreams did i expect 4-0 :O.

I was at Aberdeen game a few weeks ago and was impressed with what was on show that day but i picked wrong match lol, it should have been this one i went to.

Bring on Cup draw and then County :ictscarf:.

So delighted Roberts started today. I think he's the best reader of the game since we had (the mercenary) Marius Niculae was at the club.

I haven't heard that name mentioned in about a year, that's now 3 times in one day.

He scored a hat trick today for some Romanian mob and won a pal of mine money. Earlier we'd watched a documentary on the train about Euro 2012, where he was mumbling on about not qualifying, robbing *******.

To be honest that was as good as it gets. United did start the better with a massive possession advantage but we gradually sussed them out, nullified them and then tore them a new one in the second half. Doran must have had a quiet word in his ear as he was terrific in the second half, tracking back, tackling and playing as if his contract depended on it. All that was lacking from him was a goal that he would have earned.

I have liked Roberts :rasta: from the first time he came on the park for us and he was just outstanding and capped it off with a brilliant goal, well deserved. We really opened up in the second half and it was a throwback to the swashbuckling days of Pele as we flooded forward at times, with players breaking on either wing.

Raven played his part today and he can hold his head high again. Reguero made me clench my cheeks a few times but he kept the ball out, all you can ask of a keeper.

Richie Foran...........take a bow son. Best game he has ever played, two outstanding goals and a magnificent leap and assist for the fourth that Robert's buried with applomb, fantastic effort from Richie.

No negatives today, impossible to criticise, apart from a meagre crowd. :ohmy: No surprise there, but today, they were the losers that went shopping.

• Agree 1

Fab game yesterday. All four of the defence high fived each other before the game and the shooting pre match was superb, they've been practicing I reckon! Roberts was class, foran was incredible and great to see young Morrison doing well. Same 11 in the same formation next Friday please!

Edited by Northern_jaggie
  • Agree 1

Still smiling today! I've been telling folk for weeks that someone was going to get gubbed and was so glad that we actually did it! 11 heroes lead by superman Richie Foran.

So glad to see everyone praising Roberts All except the guy in front of us who yelled loudly in the second half for Terry to take Roberts off. Roberts heard him looked up and scored about 5 mins later!

Edit because my iPad can't spell!

Edited by old caley girl

What a fecking game. Cant remember when the team looked so solid as a unit. Roberts was amazing, Foran was just outstanding MOTM, Reguero did great coming in so late. Shame for esson missing out though. Any news on him???

Forans goal has to be goal of the month. Alot of people sitting around me were giving Raven abit of stick thought he played really well. Maybe a few dodge long balls but apart from that i would give him 9 out of 10. Wish the fans made a wee bit more noise than they did. Never really heard them till the goals started coming. Good to see Morrison finally getting a start, Would like to see a few more of them

BRING ON THE GYPOS!!!!

• Agree 1

one of the best performances ive seen at tcs. the midfeild pairing of draper and morrison was out standing. i think drapers the most combatitive midfeilder ive seen and morison just took on the duncan role, he was neat and tidy and didnt put a foot wrong freeing the rest of the team up to play.

andy shinnie was fantastic in the second half, as soon as they took ritchie ryan off who seemed to have the task of man marking him he ran riot. he won about 5 free kicks in the build up to his goal, then followed the ball in to get on the end of uniteds mistake. phillip roberts looks as near to the complete article for a winger weve had in a long time. great cross, great finish and a great work ethic and doran ran them riot on the right.

but foran up front was the best ive seen him play at spl level at least, can he be beaten in the air, i thought dundee utd would have to put jon daly at the back to compete with him at one stage. you think hes to far away then two huge strides and a giant leap and hes there, its quite something to behold should probably send tourist to fort george to see it in training through the week have a wee viewing galery.

gary warren is for me the best centre half weve had since darren dods, totally compsed but also totally reliable, havnt been able to flaw him yet.

josh meekings had no problems at all and david raven hardly seen a pair of heels all afternoon.

the only downside to this game was esson gettiing injured in the warm up, i think its a recurrence of what he suffered last season in the warm up against aberdeen. it was pretty routine he was practising his kicking and on the last one he pulled up, he knew that was it and was clearly devestated but it was great to see foran go over and console him the whole team handled it brilliantly.

bring on the county, cant fecking wait!

• Agree 2

I think a wee mention should go to Luke for keeping the faith and at last getting his just rewards, having fought off the keyboard negative attacks almost single handed!!

What about my feckin therapy sessions !!

They're never going to work until you stop drinking with your medication.

I think that game single handedly dispels this nonsense of how this team can't and should not attempt to play attacking football. The breaks forward and surges into the box on Saturday looked dangerous on every occasion, and on another day it could well have been more than four. Using last seasons tactics, we'd have seen players like Roberts, Andrew Shinnie, Morrison and Doran rendered useless, but by keeping the ball on the deck, it evidently makes them forces to be reckoned with on the field and even when the ball was played high, there seemed to be a lot more direction and intent in them than before. There was very little of the old "hit and hope" mentality of last season.

Many of us have been calling for the binning of the long ball game for a long time and have evidently been proven right. Friday will be a test against a real long ball side, but by playing the way they did on Saturday and taking the game to County, there'll be a few tears before bedtime in Dingwall that night.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 3

Too early to say if there has been a change. The team has played well early in the season and a great result could have come at any time. It is conceding goals that has cost us. United started reasonably well on Saturday and had they nicked a goal it might have been a very different story. We need to see 3 or 4 good results before you can say its a change.

And if there is a change, then is it the absence of OTJ or Shane (and Ross and King?) that's made the difference? Perhaps it is the development of a better understanding at the back which gives a better platform for the team and gives them a bit more confidence. It may have something to do with dropping Billy MacKay to the bench - the lad works his socks off but he lacks that cutting edge.

I know where you're coming from though and we've seen it before when forced changes result in finding a team that clicks or a player who is better on match day than performance on the training ground might suggest. We must be favourites to beat County now and that will be the first time we have felt that for several months. However, if we lose with a poor performance we will no doubt have loads of folk here bemoaning all our injuries and saying we will struggle until they return.

Too early to say if there has been a change. The team has played well early in the season and a great result could have come at any time. It is conceding goals that has cost us. United started reasonably well on Saturday and had they nicked a goal it might have been a very different story. We need to see 3 or 4 good results before you can say its a change.

And if there is a change, then is it the absence of OTJ or Shane (and Ross and King?) that's made the difference? Perhaps it is the development of a better understanding at the back which gives a better platform for the team and gives them a bit more confidence. It may have something to do with dropping Billy MacKay to the bench - the lad works his socks off but he lacks that cutting edge.

I know where you're coming from though and we've seen it before when forced changes result in finding a team that clicks or a player who is better on match day than performance on the training ground might suggest. We must be favourites to beat County now and that will be the first time we have felt that for several months. However, if we lose with a poor performance we will no doubt have loads of folk here bemoaning all our injuries and saying we will struggle until they return.

Exfeckinactly - one swallow does not a summer bring - but it is nice to see a swallow rather than a fat feckin seagull.What we have to aim for now is consistency. October 2012 could be our most defining month in years. There are nine potential league points a begging and that tally would really consolidate our position in the Top Six and give us the breathing space needed from the relegation zone. It could also hearld the much needed fan boost of a cup semi-final appearance. And could land Mr Butcher his first Manager of the Year award in yonks - and perhaps a player double from Foran or Roberts. Wel that would be the ideal anyway.

It did frustrate me that Meekings was benched and moved to replacement full back after a good pre season at centre back. The combination with Warren is a fine blend of different styles and can only develop as they play more together. Many of us have been calling for the persisitence with Morrison that was afforded to Shane for yonks and lets hope it now happens. He may not have the pedigree of OTJ but he is a better player in the SPL. And keep Graeme Shinnie out of the central midfield mix please. I am not shure where poor Shane will fit in to things now but I feel he is the substitute/replacement for Foran in his current role. Andy Shinnie has been completely wasted this season and he will always be a better player when he is allowed to roam and come from deep. McKay is/was never a lone striker and who knows - he may have filled the role beside Foran - and perhaps that should be his forte in the future if needed.

Lets not change the system at home and lets persist away from home but think more defensively when we don't have the ball.

Great result, great performance. Agree with Renegade that this dispels the fact that you need to spend loads of cash to put out an exciting team. Right blend of players and the right tactics like Sat proves it can be done. Continue to play like that and I think there will be an improvement in the crowd as well.

Great result, great performance. Agree with Renegade that this dispels the fact that you need to spend loads of cash to put out an exciting team. Right blend of players and the right tactics like Sat proves it can be done. Continue to play like that and I think there will be an improvement in the crowd as well.

Aye Gordie and that is all down to good management I hope the doubters are taking note.

Could be a feast of words to eat come the end of the season.

I suppose when I took my seat in a half empty stadium, with about a small coach load of opposition fans sitting opposite, I did wonder that i was in for a rather sombre afternoon.

A rather muted rendation of Glory Glory Dundee United just about broke the silence, but it fizzled out.

Our fans did not respond with the usual reponse of " Can you hear the Dundee sing" , totally ignoring it

I had never seen Dundee United before , but I felt that this famous old club , well renowed not only in Scotland but throughout the rest of United Kingdom and beyond would give us a hard time.

( I spoke to my sister in Law after the game, she lives near Preston, and when I told her the result all she could say in Amazement was " Dundee United ? " as though she couldn't believe it, )

The game started eventful enough , the Calley goalie , resplendant in his off white Madrid socks , took the eye, he was to see 3 United shots blazed over the bar, ( the old song "what the F' hell was that", I must admit crossed my mind, but the Calley young men in the north stand get their dignity and didn't sing it. Another ball crashed into the reserve golies side netting, and a long afternoon seemed to beckon. Morrison was booked for a reckless tackle all within 6 or 7 minutes of the kick off.

Well I thought will we complete this with 11 players on the field?????.

As you know the rest I won't bore you with a record of the goals

Throughout the game I was moaning to the poor guy within earshot about No 23 Roberts on loan I think. I said at one time we would be better painting 23 on a can of beans and putting it on the wing, I suggested we were playing with 10 men ( as usual)

Only to find our players struggling to get a shot in. with backs to the goal, had no where to go but to shove it out to the foresaid can of beans who was loafing around on the edge of the box. Well the rest is history. My neighbour in the stand smiled and said " keep on complaining it is working wonders ", a minute later he was sustituted, not my nieghbour , but the said number 23.

Well as a famous guy once said on being elected " things can only get better ".

The stand in goalkeeper was to receive the first clean bonus of the season, but I wonder if we will see him again , he did nothing wrong although the Spanish tenancy to punch the ball away , rather than catch , was much in evidence.

Roger and out !

Edited by Laurence

Think you have been watching a can of beans, or you are trying to wind people up, or both...........Roberts was impressive by our standards, get your specs changed.

The names Caley, at least try and get the name of the team that you claim to support right, or more correctly, Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Caley Thistle will do.

• Agree 1

I suppose when I took my seat in a half empty stadium, with about a small coach load of opposition fans sitting opposite, I did wonder that i was in for a rather sombre afternoon.

A rather muted rendation of Glory Glory Dundee United just about broke the silence, but it fizzled out.

Our fans did not respond with the usual reponse of " Can you hear the Dundee sing" , totally ignoring it

I had never seen Dundee United before , but I felt that this famous old club , well renowed not only in Scotland but throughout the rest of United Kingdom and beyond would give us a hard time.

( I spoke to my sister in Law after the game, she lives near Preston, and when I told her the result all she could say in Amazement was " Dundee United ? " as though she couldn't believe it, )

The game started eventful enough , the Calley goalie , resplendant in his off white Madrid socks , took the eye, he was to see 3 United shots blazed over the bar, ( the old song "what the F' hell was that", I must admit crossed my mind, but the Calley young men in the north stand get their dignity and didn't sing it. Another ball crashed into the reserve golies side netting, and a long afternoon seemed to beckon. Morrison was booked for a reckless tackle all within 6 or 7 minutes of the kick off.

Well I thought will we complete this with 11 players on the field?????.

As you know the rest I won't bore you with a record of the goals

Throughout the game I was moaning to the poor guy within earshot about No 23 Roberts on loan I think. I said at one time we would be better painting 23 on a can of beans and putting it on the wing, I suggested we were playing with 10 men ( as usual)

Only to find our players struggling to get a shot in. with backs to the goal, had no where to go but to shove it out to the foresaid can of beans who was loafing around on the edge of the box. Well the rest is history. My neighbour in the stand smiled and said " keep on complaining it is working wonders ", a minute later he was sustituted, not my nieghbour , but the said number 23.

Well as a famous guy once said on being elected " things can only get better ".

The stand in goalkeeper was to receive the first clean bonus of the season, but I wonder if we will see him again , he did nothing wrong although the Spanish tenancy to punch the ball away , rather than catch , was much in evidence.

Roger and out !

Is this post real?, counterfieted? challenging? Fishing?, or just downright absurd? Ladies and gentlemen the choice is yours.

Could also be a speech of resignation I suppose, I dont know whether to laugh with or feel sorry for the composer.

I suppose live by the off the cuff remark, die by the on the cuff remark. Does it matter one itota if I say Calley, Caley, or Kelly, The word is a coruption of the Roman word Caledonian. ( Meaning Northern waste land) So what the Hell. I never could spell left school at 14 not like your generation who had a comprehensive education, or indeed a grammar school education, or you went to Eton. To mock someone over spelling is pretty bad form, from a generation who have had it so good. I was brought up on rationing. My first job was a 48 hour week, my second was 56 hour week.

But the world will spin to my next report

Some say, this some say that, but I say " well that's for me to know and you to think about".

OK I will say it, in 60 years of watching professional football, No 23 is as bad as it gets.".

Edited by Laurence