your first Highland Derby

ForzaCaley

Just wondering when and where was your first derby, what was the score and do you have any amusing recollections of the day?

My first derby was the first derby of the 96/97 season in Dingwall. In fact it was my first ever away game. I was 7 at the time and i believe the game finished 3-1 to ICT with Iain Stewart getting a brace. i was standing in the Jubilee terrace just to the left of the goal with good friends Allan Milligan and John Stewart which i'm sure many of the 'oldies' on here will know from the old Caley days. One amusing recollection is that the game stopped for 10-15mins after our 1st goal. County fans were throwing missiles and something struck Calder and he had to be treated. Also I remember the tannoy guy saying if there was any further incidents the game would be abandoned. I think this may be one of the reasons why i despise County so much!

My first was the last one. With us been in the spl since 2004 and me being younger than most I never really had the chance to go up until then. Spose that's the price of supporting the bigger club. Anyway. Jonny ran riot that night. Setting up odihambo, and scoring himself.

• Agree 1

3-0 win in 2001, Mark McCormick scored a superb own goal to give Caley the lead before half time. Dennis Wyness then promptly tore them about with a late double...a fairly routine game for a derby, hoping for similar on Friday.

Here's a list of all the derby games since 1994. I've bolded the ones I have attended

2009/2010

Scottish Division 1 Tu 30Mar 2010 Inverness CT 3 - 0 Ross County

Scottish Division 1 Sa 20Mar 2010 Ross County 0 - 0 Inverness CT

Scottish Division 1 Sa 07Nov 2009 Ross County 2 - 1 Inverness CT

Scottish League C Cup Su 04Oct 2009 Inverness CT 1 - 0 Ross County

Scottish Division 1 Sa 29Aug 2009 Inverness CT 1 - 3 Ross County

2004/2005

Scottish League Cup Tu 24Aug 2004 Ross County 0 - 1 Inverness CT

2003/2004

Scottish Division 1 Sa 27Mar 2004 Inverness CT 1 - 0 Ross County

Scottish Division 1 Sa 03Jan 2004 Ross County 1 - 0 Inverness CT

Scottish Division 1 Fr 14Nov 2003 Inverness CT 3 - 3 Ross County

Scottish Division 1 Sa 30Aug 2003 Ross County 1 - 1 Inverness CT

Scottish League C Cup Tu 26Aug 2003 Inverness CT 1 - 0 Ross County

2002/2003

Scottish Division 1 Sa 08Mar 2003 Ross County 0 - 2 Inverness CT

Scottish Division 1 Tu 25Feb 2003 Inverness CT 1 - 5 Ross County

Scottish Division 1 Sa 09Nov 2002 Ross County 0 - 2 Inverness CT

Scottish Division 1 Sa 24Aug 2002 Inverness CT 2 - 0 Ross County

2001/2002

Scottish Division 1 Sa 23Mar 2002 Inverness CT 1 - 1 Ross County

Scottish Division 1 Tu 19Mar 2002 Ross County 0 - 0 Inverness CT

Scottish Division 1 Sa 17Nov 2001 Inverness CT 3 - 0 Ross County

Scottish Division 1 Sa 15Sep 2001 Ross County 2 - 1 Inverness CT

2000/2001

Scottish Division 1 Sa 31Mar 2001 Ross County 0 - 1 Inverness CT

Scottish Division 1 Tu 02Jan 2001 Inverness CT 3 - 3 Ross County

Scottish Division 1 Sa 18Nov 2000 Ross County 0 - 3 Inverness CT

Scottish Division 1 Sa 16Sep 2000 Inverness CT 0 - 1 Ross County

1996/1997

Scottish Division 3 Sa 15Mar 1997 Inverness CT 3 - 0 Ross County

Scottish Division 3 We 12Feb 1997 Ross County 0 - 3 Inverness CT

Scottish Division 3 Sa 16Nov 1996 Inverness CT 2 - 0 Ross County

Scottish Division 3 Sa 28Sep 1996 Ross County 1 - 3 Inverness CT

1995/1996

Scottish Division 3 Sa 16Mar 1996 Ross County 2 - 1 Inverness CT

Scottish Division 3 Tu 23Jan 1996 Inverness CT 1 - 1 Ross County

Scottish Division 3 Sa 18Nov 1995 Ross County 2 - 0 Inverness CT

Scottish Division 3 Sa 30Sep 1995 Inverness CT 1 - 1 Ross County

1994/1995

Scottish Division 3 Sa 06May 1995 Inverness CT 3 - 0 Ross County

Scottish Division 3 Mo 02Jan 1995 Ross County 3 - 1 Inverness CT

Scottish Division 3 Sa 29Oct 1994 Inverness CT 0 - 0 Ross County

Scottish Division 3 Sa 27Aug 1994 Ross County 1 - 3 Inverness CT

My first was a pishy 0-0 draw at Telford Street. I think someone missed a penalty but I can't quite recall. I was 13 years old.

The derbies in the first three seasons were tremendous, great characters and rivalries from the Highland League and usually a couple of red cards in every game. I remember the 1-1 draw in January 96, three red cards in a couple of minutes. My favourite from that period was probably the 3-1 win in our title winning season, Stewarty scored early on and then we were battered for an hour, with County completely dominating. Derek Adams equalised and everyone thought it was a repeat of the previous season, where we hadn't won a league derby. Then, amid the celebrations, a beautiful ball was slipped through and Iain Stewart pulled off the most outrageous chip of a keeper that you've ever seen. The ball must've been in the air for at least a minute. Brian Thomson rounded off the win with a late goal.

Edited by ictchris
  • Agree 1

Back to the naughty seventies for the old Caley v County clashes - Off to the Strath Ballroom on the Friday nite for a bit of baiting and then the train trip on the Saturday. Banned for a year by Caley officials after taking over the Jailend - but in those days the polis took you down the other end !!. Mantis may remember a Soccer Special Train for a Scottish Cup tie i Dungwall and there was the best "battle" ever in the Station Square after a Kingsmills final. And a dreary Tuesday night when we were outnumbered and ran all the way to the Station and saved by the boys in blue. As fer the football and the scores I cant feckin remember. I actually got sent off in a 2nd X1 cup final when Freddy Neild told me to put their danger man, a lanky pole on the left wing, up in the air. I did but the feckin ref - probably ADC Kidd showed me a straight red.

Here's a list of all the derby games since 1994. I've bolded the ones I have attended

Brilliant piece of work by 'The New Yngwie'.

Caley games - can't remember the first, but one of my memories is a Q-Cup semi at VP back about 91 when we came from behind and Billy Urquhart scored one of the best goals I've ever seen.

ICT v County - my first was the dreary 0-0 at Caley Park in 94. County missed a pen down at the Comet end.

My two favourites are the 3-1 at VP that Chris describes, when Stewarty chipped Hutchison (including the mass 'male bonding session' when Thommo scored no 3) and the famous 3-0 in 2000 after newly promoted County had fluked a win at our place with a penalty, while we had hit woodwork 5 times.

So County were saying how they were going to see us off in the return game.

Instead, ICT did their talking on the pitch and destroyed them with 2 from Wyness and another peach from Mike Teasdale, while Charlie provoked Alex Bone into 2 red cards.......

A special mention for the first ever meeting at TCS when ICT won with a Wilson goal and yet another chip from you-know-who. Sandy Ross was sent off for an elbow on Richard Hastings.

Edited by TheMantis

2003/2004

I think that must be the game we won with a late header from Barry Wilson unmarked at the back post. I was right behind the goal and he was smiling before the ball even reached him.

It might also have been the game when a County player had a ridiculous hairstyle, which prompted someone (Mantis?) to shout out asking him if his mother had been intimate with a badger.

2003/2004

I think that must be the game we won with a late header from Barry Wilson unmarked at the back post. I was right behind the goal and he was smiling before the ball even reached him.

It might also have been the game when a County player had a ridiculous hairstyle, which prompted someone (Mantis?) to shout out asking him if his mother had been intimate with a badger.

This was my first derby, Wilson scored after some superb work on the right from Paul Ritchie who skinned a couple of County players before standing up a beautiful cross to Barry to head home from no more than 3 yards

I used to go to most of the Derby games, from back in the Highland League days, so im assuming my first in the Scottish League would have been the 3-1 win for ICT @ Dungwall on Sat 27th Aug 1994. But cant be 100% sure, as im cursed by the worst memory of all time

Then, amid the celebrations, a beautiful ball was slipped through and Iain Stewart pulled off the most outrageous chip of a keeper that you've ever seen.

To be fair....Stewarty regularly did outrageous chips, especially against county. It was a speciality of his. I remember Pele Patterson saying that in his opinion....Iain Stewart was the most deadly finnisher in the Box in Scotland......and do you know this....at the time, i think he probably was

I am only recent to derby games and so the first one was at home only a couple of years ago when we were relegated. That was a poor game and we deserved to lose but what i enjoyed was both games at Victoria park. I hope to make the new year derby but it wont be the same as in the 1st division with the great atmosphere on the terraces which was my first time on terraces. We may not of won either but the banter was great and it was a fantastic experience that i will never forget. The home return on our great run in to the title was a brilliant performance and the atmosphere for a home game was not bad

It was David Winters, although obviously as a pillar of the community I would never shout something like that.

• Agree 1