Rock gigs in Inverness

bauhaus

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Rory Gallagher and Greenslade at the Caley Ball Room.  Also Frankie Miller in 1974.

Also Tear Gas (soon to become The Alex Harvey Band), Salvation (from Glasgow with Midge Ure on later to evolve into  "Slick" and topping the charts with "Forever and Ever"...) - both appeared at the Cameron Boys Club in 1973.

Another memorable gig was Cado Belle at the recently opened Eden Court Theatre.

Then there were local bands such as Satisfaction (prior to that called Stogg I think).

There was also a gig in 1977 at the ice Rink where as punk / new wave started to emerge we saw bands such as Roogalator (who were a brilliant live band).

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Rory Gallagher and Greenslade at the Caley Ball Room.  Also Frankie Miller in 1974.

Also Tear Gas (soon to become The Alex Harvey Band), Salvation (from Glasgow with Midge Ure on later to evolve into  "Slick" and topping the charts with "Forever and Ever"...) - both appeared at the Cameron Boys Club in 1973.

Another memorable gig was Cado Belle at the recently opened Eden Court Theatre.

Then there were local bands such as Satisfaction (prior to that called Stogg I think).

There was also a gig in 1977 at the ice Rink where as punk / new wave started to emerge we saw bands such as Roogalator (who were a brilliant live band).

I remember the cado belle concert at Eden Court. They were terrific. Still have their album in the cupboard. If I recall correctly the first rock band to play there was The Edgar Broughton Band. My sister and her soon to be husband took me along. What I remember most about it was during the interval an amazing sound was being played over the sound system. Turned out to be AC/DC album High Voltage. 

• 5 weeks later...

The Pretenders at the Icerink 15 May 1981. (Got job for the day being a roadie, ran about town with one of their fixers picking up electrical stuff and their costumes. Met two of the band pottering about town not being bothered/recognized by anyone These two guys were dead within a couple of years due to Cocaine intolerance!

Browsing this topic and saw this. I am just so jealous that you got to meet the brilliant guitarist Jimmy Scott. Died so young in 1982 at 25 when I wasn't yet in my teens. Will always be a hero to me though. The other band member you met, Pete Farndon who played bass, seemed like a really nice guy but heroin addiction got him in the end. He O/D in the bath and drowned. Very sad.

• 1 month later...

What KoB said...... For years I've ignored them because I was only interested in the original lineup but my mate in Fife has always kept up with them so he smooth-talked me into it.

Sorry big Shug's no longer there of course, saw him play a 1 hour acoustic set at the Edinburgh fringe a few years back.

• 5 months later...

Does any one remember the Hollies appearing at the Empire - maybe earlyy in 1963? That was a saturday night and on sunday we discovered that they were staying at Drumossie Hotel so went up there and got their autographs. Great guys!

Also what about Cat Stevens at the Caley just when "Matthew and Son" had come out?

• Agree 1

Its good to see my old bands being mentioned! I was the drummer in The Boyfriends with Graham and A Gentle Sound. AGS only played Inverness twice ( Spectrum Centre & The Muirtown Motel). Graham did go onto better things! I think he was involved with the BIS lot and is still doing his Thurston Moor impressions these days!

I dont recall JAMC playing Inverness! But I did attent a lot of those gigs mentioned, Death Cult, Smiths, Soiuxie, Echo. Anyone do The Clash at the Ice Centre?

Join the AGS fan page on FB! Lots of memories, demos & pics,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/agentlesound/

Saw youse at Barrowlands supporting Northside, thought you were going to be big. What happened?

• Agree 2

Think it was 84 or 85. Carlton upstairs. they were wasted and bottles were thrown around. Only played 5 or 6 songs and a number of fights broke out and they walked off. Was another band that night too, and cant remember who they were.

That must have been '84 pre Psychocandy when they were playing 15-20 minute sets usually drunk.

It was likely the other band could have been the similarly sonic 'Meat Whiplash' both bands shared the drummer in the early days live before Bobby G stepped in to help out.

• 5 months later...

The Clash

The Cure

The Cult

The Counting Crows

The Casualties

The Charlatons

The Calling

The Cathedrals

The Cate Brothers

Ther Cecil Taylor Trio

The Chambers Brothers

The Charles River Valley Boys

The Church

The Clarke Sisters

The Cocteau Twins

The Comets

The Commodores

The Chameleons

The Chantels

The Connels

The Counting House

The Cramps

The Cranberries

• Agree 1

I have a ripped ticket stub.The C-----Tuesday 27th----- at Inverness.Ticket £3.50.Regular music.I think it must be The Clash.I did see them at The Ice Rink I think but its all a bit of a haze.Can anyone help.

As far as i can see from this tour history they didn't ever play Inverness on the 27th.

http://www.mfyi.com/c/clashtourography.html

I have a ripped ticket stub.The C-----Tuesday 27th----- at Inverness.Ticket £3.50.Regular music.I think it must be The Clash.I did see them at The Ice Rink I think but its all a bit of a haze.Can anyone help.

Doesn't look like the Clash, unless that was the time Joe went missing and they had to reschedule.

I mind the night they did play, was only 13 but was dying to be there, spent the night playing football up the Craig with ma mates, could hear the noise coming from the Ice Rink. One of the biggest regrets of my life missing that gig.

Never knew at the time, but Joe had a big part of his family in Bonar Bridge--his mother was a MacKenzie from up that way, and the legend Joe would pass by Inverness on his way up there.  :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Its good to see my old bands being mentioned! I was the drummer in The Boyfriends with Graham and A Gentle Sound. AGS only played Inverness twice ( Spectrum Centre & The Muirtown Motel). Graham did go onto better things! I think he was involved with the BIS lot and is still doing his Thurston Moor impressions these days!

I dont recall JAMC playing Inverness! But I did attent a lot of those gigs mentioned, Death Cult, Smiths, Soiuxie, Echo. Anyone do The Clash at the Ice Centre?

Join the AGS fan page on FB! Lots of memories, demos & pics,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/agentlesound/

Saw youse at Barrowlands supporting Northside, thought you were going to be big. What happened?

Could'nt ever top that night! We just fizzled out like the whole 'Baggy' thing did. If we had kept on we might have merged into a Brit Pop band. 25th Anniversary this year so you never know we might do an reunion show lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...