Kenny Dalglish

Graeme Souness

Joe Jordan

Gordon Strachan

Walter Smith

Alex McLeish

Billy Stark

Terry Butcher (for our own interest)

Other Scottish manager (I've seen Derek Adams name mentioned!!! As has Calderwood, Collins etc)

Non-Scottish manager (I don't approve of this myself but, as with the 'other Scottish manager', the respondent could give his preference in text)

It would be interesting to see.

I'm torn between King Kenny or Big Joe. Actually, they could probably work together I think.

Any way of getting a poll up on this? I'd suggest the options are:

Kenny Dalglish

Graeme Souness

Joe Jordan

Gordon Strachan

Walter Smith

Alex McLeish

Billy Stark

Terry Butcher (for our own interest)

Other Scottish manager (I've seen Derek Adams name mentioned!!! As has Calderwood, Collins etc)

Non-Scottish manager (I don't approve of this myself but, as with the 'other Scottish manager', the respondent could give his preference in text)

It would be interesting to see.

I'm torn between King Kenny or Big Joe. Actually, they could probably work together I think.

Stuart McCall - Mo Johnston -Ally McCoist - Gary McCallister to also name a few more , theres someone out there for sure!

When I see the names listed it makes me shudder - when those that are touted are considered maybe Avril was just as good

Kenny Dalglish - Too long out of the game and managed to spend £100M+ at Liverpool in 12 months to make them worse

Graeme Souness - Too long out of the game

Joe Jordan - Great assistant to Harry, but terrible record on his own

Gordon Strachan - The only real choice IMO

Walter Smith - Respected, good record but Levein was criticised for negativity - we will see much more of the same, plus hasn't got much of a record with younger players

Alex McLeish - Another option, did well before and will be desperate to rebuild his reputation

Billy Stark - Good with U21's, not sure about going alone at that level

some others for me

Lambert - poor start at Villa and might see this as a way out, plus has played in Europe in the past so understands continental football

Collins - Again foreign playing experience

Steve Clarke - Good start at W.Brom and has worked with some of the best in the game

Paulo Sergio - I think he would have done a good job had he not just went to Cluj

For me it should be WGS or Big Eck.

Anyone but that wee niaff Gordon Strachan. Hate him with avengance, hate the way he does interviews like he is following a fly round the room, cant stand his snide comments, and to be honest only did anything at Celtic, where even the fans their wanted rid of him.

Id give Walter Smith another 4 years, as he has proved he can do wonders with average players, which is what we have. Id also get the ex Celtic, Chelsea's Somalian born Islam Feruz some time on the park in our next wc qualifier. We need to get our stoch back up, so we can get back into the 3rd or even the 2nd pot when qualifying draws are made. That will be the first aim

The job is a total hospital pass.

Any person offered the job would have to be a has-been so that they are then operating at the same level of ability as the players they will manage.

Levein did as good a job as anyone could manage considering the cr#p players he had to contend with.

Lets the face the real truth of the matter - Scottish footballers are rubbish. The world's best manager would not be able to do anything decent with them.

Give the job to someone you hate.

I disagree culduthel. I believe there are players able to make the grade if the national coach would look for them instead of sticking to the 'my favourite clubs mentallity. Don Cowie is breaking through now. Our own Andy Shinnie could also make it. And there's one or two others that should be given the opportunity instead of the high earning 'I'll choose the games I play in' types.

Any person offered the job would have to be a has-been so that they are then operating at the same level of ability as the players they will manage.

Levein did as good a job as anyone could manage considering the cr#p players he had to contend with.

Lets the face the real truth of the matter - Scottish footballers are rubbish. The world's best manager would not be able to do anything decent with them.

Incorrect. Levein had one of the best pools of players since France 98. He was the man who the chose dreadful 4-6-0, he was the man who acted appallingly throughout is tenure, in interviews and what not. And don't get me started on his dress sense!

This idea that "Scotland have rubbish players and thus the manager will make no difference" is factually incorrect. Norway didn't exactly have a great pool of players in the 1990s, yet they were at one stage second in the Fifa rankings. How did they do that? Tactics. Greece had a pool probably somewhat better than Scotland's at Euro 2004, but still nothing compared to other countries and were 100-1 to win it prior to the start of the tournament, yet they managed to do it. How? Not by luck, but tactics. And for someone based in New Zealand, I'm sure you also watched the All Whites perform admirably during the last World Cup, despite being classed in the British press as "rubbish" prior to the tournament. They were the only team to remain undefeated throughout the thing and had they scored one more goal would have qualified for the next round. The tactics Ricki Herbert used were one of the reasons for this, and on another day, his 3-4-3/4-3-3 system which made New Zealand an almost impenetrable force would've seen them through. That's what Scotland need, an astute tactician who get results.

Ricki Herbert for Scotland!

• Agree 1

Derek Adams!

I see Co Adriaanse is being linked in the papers today, more than likely just idle speculation seeing as he is over in Scotland for a coaching seminar set up by his pal and SFA performance director Mark Wotte.

Certainly a good manager in club football but very limited in international experience. Also has a bit of a reputation for unusual training methods. That said he is known for getting results from mediocre groups of players and prefers attacking football. Interesting name to be linked with, if they are considering a manager like this then id be surprised

Give it to billy stark. He knows the youth, he'll be able to bring them through into the first team, feed them in and that would be what we need to try and qualify for euro 2016, with players like tony watt, James Forrest, gms, jonny Russell, Danny Wilson and grant Hanley who all clearly have ability I see no reason why they could gel and form a very good international team, just need the right coach and that could be billy stark. He'd be better than strachan anyway.

Edited by lukemackay
  • Agree 1

Billy Starks CV looks like this:

assistant manager at Celtic,

manager at Greenock Morton,

manager at St Johnstone,

manager at Queens Park

manager at youth/U21 level for Scotland

No where near enough top level management in there for him to be a serious contender IMO

• Agree 1