Next Scotland Manager

KingBeastie

Billy Starks CV looks like this:

assistant manager at Celtic,

manager at Greenock Morton,

manager at St Johnstone,

manager at Queens Park

manager at youth/U21 level for Scotland

No where near enough top level management in there for him to be a serious contender IMO

More club experience there tha Andy Roxburgh had when he was appointed!

manager at St Johnstone,

manager at Queens Park

No where near enough top level management in there for him to be a serious contender IMO

More club experience there tha Andy Roxburgh had when he was appointed!

Agreed but Andy Roxburgh was appointed 26 years ago to the Scotland job, IMHO credentials for getting a job in international management have changed since then

I would certainly hope that our next international manager has a history of dealing with top class players so that a) he knows how to coach them to get them best out of them and b) he can handle their egos!

manager at St Johnstone,

manager at Queens Park

Craig Brown's CV was even worse and he did just fine (apart from severely neglecting the progression of young players).

The job is a total hospital pass.

Any person offered the job would have to be a has-been so that they are then operating at the same level of ability as the players they will manage.

Levein did as good a job as anyone could manage considering the cr#p players he had to contend with.

Lets the face the real truth of the matter - Scottish footballers are rubbish. The world's best manager would not be able to do anything decent with them.

Give the job to someone you hate.

Incorrect. Levein had one of the best pools of players since France 98. He was the man who the chose dreadful 4-6-0, he was the man who acted appallingly throughout is tenure, in interviews and what not. And don't get me started on his dress sense!

This idea that "Scotland have rubbish players and thus the manager will make no difference" is factually incorrect. Norway didn't exactly have a great pool of players in the 1990s, yet they were at one stage second in the Fifa rankings. How did they do that? Tactics. Greece had a pool probably somewhat better than Scotland's at Euro 2004, but still nothing compared to other countries and were 100-1 to win it prior to the start of the tournament, yet they managed to do it. How? Not by luck, but tactics. And for someone based in New Zealand, I'm sure you also watched the All Whites perform admirably during the last World Cup, despite being classed in the British press as "rubbish" prior to the tournament. They were the only team to remain undefeated throughout the thing and had they scored one more goal would have qualified for the next round. The tactics Ricki Herbert used were one of the reasons for this, and on another day, his 3-4-3/4-3-3 system which made New Zealand an almost impenetrable force would've seen them through. That's what Scotland need, an astute tactician who get results.

Ricki Herbert for Scotland!

Nominate this for post of the month!

Craig Brown's CV was even worse and he did just fine (apart from severely neglecting the progression of young players).

While CB had a decent record, he seems to have and carry a lot of influence with the SFA, I wouldn't be surprised if he has some input into the next manager also. In the P&J he is citing Billy Stark as sound choice, which is understandable based on the info I have been given regarding him influencing the selection of players in the U21 squad.

Any person offered the job would have to be a has-been so that they are then operating at the same level of ability as the players they will manage.

Levein did as good a job as anyone could manage considering the cr#p players he had to contend with.

Lets the face the real truth of the matter - Scottish footballers are rubbish. The world's best manager would not be able to do anything decent with them.

Incorrect. Levein had one of the best pools of players since France 98. He was the man who the chose dreadful 4-6-0, he was the man who acted appallingly throughout is tenure, in interviews and what not. And don't get me started on his dress sense!

This idea that "Scotland have rubbish players and thus the manager will make no difference" is factually incorrect. Norway didn't exactly have a great pool of players in the 1990s, yet they were at one stage second in the Fifa rankings. How did they do that? Tactics. Greece had a pool probably somewhat better than Scotland's at Euro 2004, but still nothing compared to other countries and were 100-1 to win it prior to the start of the tournament, yet they managed to do it. How? Not by luck, but tactics. And for someone based in New Zealand, I'm sure you also watched the All Whites perform admirably during the last World Cup, despite being classed in the British press as "rubbish" prior to the tournament. They were the only team to remain undefeated throughout the thing and had they scored one more goal would have qualified for the next round. The tactics Ricki Herbert used were one of the reasons for this, and on another day, his 3-4-3/4-3-3 system which made New Zealand an almost impenetrable force would've seen them through. That's what Scotland need, an astute tactician who get results.

I agree entirely, apart from the last sentence. If nationality doesn't matter, why not just support Spain?

I agree entirely, apart from the last sentence. If nationality doesn't matter, why not just support Spain?

If we did we'd just be glory hunting scumbags like the vast majority of old filth followers.

Following our loves of ICT and Scotland makes sure we enjoy the (few) successes even more when they do happen!

• Agree 1

For me, it's not Scotland if the man in charge isn't Scottish, either by blood or by residence. It's a nation, not a club and the manager has to represent that. I don't know how countries get away with something so fundamental to international football. If England had won the World Cup under Capello, the glory would be in an Italian masterminding a victory. Scotland under a non-Scot means as much to me as supporting WBA as they have James Morrison, i.e. nothing.

• Agree 1

All Scotland rivals are not major countries

Wales and Belguim are small outfits . It is bot long ago the Scotland under 21 team was playing that major centre of excellence called Iceland and struggled beyond belief

I don't want to hear this small country argument again. It is downright bad management and bad organisation, starting at the grass routes

Rangers and Celtic Hearts and Hibs, used to bring fantastic local talent through to International standard, true they moved into England,

We now see Rangers forced to play youngsters that are excellent players, given the chance they will make great players one day I am sure of it.

Edited by Laurence

The Idea the Scotlands manager must be a Scot is daft

Tell Celtic fans an Irishman makes the defeat of Barcelona any less gratifying

Some people take the parish pump memtality far too far;

noses and faces come to mind

...Billy Stark as sound choice, which is understandable based on the info I have been given regarding him influencing the selection of players in the U21 squad.

You do know that Billy Stark is the under 21 manager therefore picks the U21 squad. That's his job.

Apologies perhaps it was poorly worded, I know Billy Stark is U21 manager and is supposed to pick the squad, although I was referring to the level of influence Craig Brown has in the selection process of players in that squad.

Edited by bdu98196

The best cricket captain England ever had was Douglas Jardine

Who captained the famous "bodyline tour", in Australia

Nodody complained except the OZ. who moaned and groaned

So, you're saying a Scotland team doesn't need either Scottish players or a Scottish manager then? In what way is it Scottish? Is a nation just like a club? Should we be trawling the streets of Rio and Buenos Aires for youngsters? Where is the cut-off point?

I am not saying that at all. The Jardine comment was just showing that a very in your face outfit like the English cricket team, can take a captain, ( in those days (1932)

also the boss) from Scotland, then why is it that Scots would sooner fail than accept the best person for the job.

Parish pump mentality will get Scotland nowhere whether in sport or anything else.

Will Carling once said that rugby union was run by a bunch of old thwarts, Len Shackleton in his book " Clown Prince of Soccer ", said something similar about the SFA, who he called " Sweet Fanny Adams", That book was written over 50 years ago.

How many x professional footballers are in positions of power in the SFA?

Somebody needs to get a grip, of Scotish football, All the names I have seen as potential Scotland managers seem tro be very poor choices,

Strachen seems to be the main choice and I feel , although better that levine, nothing will change.

I myself if in charge of the SFA would go down om my bended knees to get Harry Rednap, even on a short term contract, Failing that I would go for Owen Coyle if we have to wear blue filters on our specs.

If you wat to read about Jardine get the book title " Again Came Larwood", the best of all reads.

Edited by Laurence

I completey accept Scotland could be helped by a non-Scots manager. It would also help Scotland to have better non-Scottish players. I agree with Craig Brown - the selection criteria for the most important person, the manager, should be no different from the players. Without that, it's pointless calling it a national team. Might as well just be a club, not a nation.

• Agree 2

Tbh Celtic's manager being an Irish Catholic made it even more gratifying for them,

Tbh Celtic's manager being an Irish Catholic made it even more gratifying for them,

Except he's not. Irish that is.