Next Scotland Manager

KingBeastie

The SFA must accept the blame, Levein was their choice, he does not appear to be up to the job so what do you do when you employ the wrong person, you take a long hard look at:-

(a) the man, can he be retrained, has he the right staff to work with, has he had all the backing, given the resources, from the governing board that he needed to make a success of the job? If not why not.

(b) The selection board, was this appoint in haste repent at leisure and let the manager carry the can. Were they fully aware of the man's capabilities his strengths and weaknesses and were they suited to the job description, was there indeed a job description or any sort of measure or master plan to work to.

With the Rangers fiasco the shout came up to reorganise the whole set up. A blind eye and deaf ear has been turned to that and things have since returned to their ''normal''. I hope this new saga rekindles that flame.

Leave Levein in charge till the end of the current campaign but in the meantime get some new blood in at the top and restructure, reorganise and start working towards building a National side and national league to be proud off.

I said when he was first appointed i didnt want him and he wouldnt work ( KingBeastie can vouch for me after my many pub rantings!!!) Who I think would work:

Strachan

Souness

Mcleish

Rednapp (yes i said it!!!)

Obviously Ferguson, Moyes etc but they would never leave their current job for it.

Edited by CapitalCaley

Doofers Dad, Levein has been in charge for 3 years, it's hardly a knee jerk reaction. That's if he's booted - he has not yet been booted and the question was not about should he go and the merits of him going, it was who would you like to see and who do think will get the job IF he is booted.

Also at no point was he ever "the great white hope" and I know of no fan (and I know many Scotland fans) who were ever "excited by his appointment".

As for keeping him until the end of the campaign, if we do not arrest the current form/slump we will find ourselves in pot 5 for the next draw, a situation which could take years to remedy. We will not qualify for the next WC but if we alter things now we could end the campaign on a positive note and perhaps even move up a pot rather than down.

You also ask will others do any better? 3 wins in 12 competitive game, 2 against Leichtenstein, who we went behind to (at home) and then had to get a winner in the 97th minute and a win against Lithuania - yes someone else will do better. Burley did better, as did The German, I believe some of the folk on this forum could actually do a little better than that.

My post asked "Who would folk like to see?..." not let's discuss the merits of the SFA and the structure of Scottish Football, that's been done to death and we all have opinions on that.

Souness is on record as saying he will never go back to management at any level. He does alright as a pundit for tv companies and also works, along with his daughter, for al Jazeera.

Did he not say that he would take the Scotland job if offered but he will not apply again as he has applied and been interviewed 3 times and he has noting new to say to the SFA from the previous 3 times?

Or did someone just tell me this in a pub?

I think the SFA have missed the boat with Lagerback to be honest. He's doing quite well with Iceland just now anyway. Souness? Strachan? Coyle?! Dear oh dear, is that the best there is? Souness and Strachan might be slightly better than the incumbent, but Coyle IMO has disaster written all over him.

If Scotland want any chance of qualifying for anything again, the only route I'm afraid is the foreign route.

Not so sure Coyle opted to play for Ireland as much as Scotland didn't want him. Don't think it was another McGeady there. There's not enough of a record there for me. Nothing to suggest he's a tactical genius or great motivator. Did well some places but not others. Burley did better than Coyle before he took the job.

Big fan of Sturrock but it would be the wrong appointment, as would Billy Davies (who I'm also a fan of).

Harry Redknapp as an assistant to Joe Jordan, certainly. Not the other way around though.

One point that might become very important for this qualifying round is Serbia. Don't underestimate the possibility of them getting expelled and banned completely for a few years, in which case Scotland would "win back" 2 points on Belgium and Macedonia, while Croatia haven't played them yet. Serbia is also the reason why I doubt that both Belgium and Croatia would finish with 20 points ore more if Scotland win all remaining games.

If Scotland want any chance of qualifying for anything again, the only route I'm afraid is the foreign route.

How so?

No available Scottish boss particularly stands to me - again Souness (who might not even want the job) or Strachan may be a bit better, but neither look that inspiring - also, neither have any experience managing national teams. A foreign manager, who may well be a bit more tactically astute and have more international managerial experience, particularly with smaller nations to me seems the more logical choice. Bora Milutinović could be a man that fits that mould.

I agree we would be better with an experienced international manager with a good track record. But we'd also be better if we had talented players from Spain, even with no Scottish connection. Why is it a Scottish team if not a Scottish manager?

I'd find supporting a Scottish-Belgian/Czech/Swedish etc alliance pointless.

I'd be interested to know what the majority opinion is.

Jordan/Rednapp combination till end of campaign and let them set up an attacking side to score more than the opposition aka K Keeegan approach and lets see if we can enjoy international football again.Not going to qualify now anyone so lets go out in a fashion that may just get some interest back

Some one on the radio was talking up Bobby Williamson the other day. What about his shadow-like the orange man Jimmy Calderwood, has done well without big talent throughout management. :whistle:

What about Jackie McNamara, seems to be an up and coming.

How so?

No available Scottish boss particularly stands to me - again Souness (who might not even want the job) or Strachan may be a bit better, but neither look that inspiring - also, neither have any experience managing national teams. A foreign manager, who may well be a bit more tactically astute and have more international managerial experience, particularly with smaller nations to me seems the more logical choice. Bora Milutinović could be a man that fits that mould.

Or like Lars Lagerback?!

Lagerback's doing well with Iceland. He's got them to second in their group, would he leave them now to manage a team who's qualifying chances are over. I think Scotland have missed the boat on him I'm afraid.

Edited by Renegade

Maybe an unemployed manager who needs to rebuild his career such as McLeish, Strachan or Coyle may consider it but they would have to reduce their wage demands that they have for club football. I'd accept either of the first two.

Most likely option - unemployed, decent record, low wages - Tangoman.