Next Ipswich Manager

ICTRoughi

While Butcher has always been fairly complimentary towards the Highlands, we should always take this stuff with a pinch of salt. Of course, while he may feel that way, one of the main reasons he's been so vocal about it is to get people on his side and in some cases, eating out of his hand. He did the exact same when he went to Sydney.

And as I alluded in my previous post, the rumours regarding him buying a house in the south of England ARE true.

The fact (if true) that he is buying a house in England means nothing, more to the point is whether he is selling one in the Highlands.

Butcher is a legend at Ipswich and that is exactly the reason why taking the job at Ipswich (if offered) would be a huge mistake. He might have some initial success and he might even help them avoid the drop from the championship this season, but there is nothing in his track record which suggests that he would bring them close to the Premiership. It would end in tears and he would be remembered more for his latter failure and inevitable sacking than for what he did there as a player in the Robson years. That would be a real shame both for him personally and for those at Ipswich who remember him as a legend.

I think most ICT fans would say he has been a qualified success here and we are optimistic that the opinion will be rather more positive by the end of this season. But it is important to consider what the qualities are that has led to his success here. To me his success has been primarily the ability to identify lower level players and to bring them on to compete at this level. This has been a valuable attribute here because of the lack of finance at the club. I'm not sure that ability will be quite so important at Ipswich. Where he seems to fall down is in his tactical approach. All too often he has followed paths which seem obviously wrong and he pursues them dogedly until circumstances change and he is forced down the right route. When things are not working he is not good at seeing what is wrong and changing things around during the game. I am sure his tactical naiivety would be ruthlessly exploited in the championship.

For those reasons, I doubt that the Ipswich board would offer the post to him even though it would undoubtedly be a popular choice and tempting for a Board under fire. For Terry to move to Ipswich would mean that both the Ipswich Board and Terry himself would have to make big mistakes. I don't think it is going to happen

Curbishley won't take already refused Wolves and Newcasle

Rednap won't, He wants a top team maybe Scotland? lol

Coyle might,- or Scotland

McCarthy would must be worth a bet

If Butcher takes it , How about Paul Jewel for ICT?

I suppose we couldn't aford him

My Guess is Steven Pressley would be in the frame

Billy Davis could be in the frame, again Scotland

Edited by Laurence

Butcher has done a good job with us, albeit with a few bobbles now and then. He's a good fit for us and I think he's a good manager.

However, if you are being absolutely honest about it he's not had a stellar career as a manager. He was dire at Sunderland, poor for Coventry and didn't even last a season at Brentford. Ipswich will look for someone with a proven track record at that level of football and, leaving aside sentimental connections, he doesn't have that.

Feck it if he goes just give foran the player manager job 2 seasons early. :lol:

But seriously he won't go. It's not just Rita who won't let him go. Ritchie won't either. And what Ritchie wants he gets. :lol:

I have a feeling Luke won't let him go either. :crazy: Potential for a restraining order? :notworthy:

• Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

I can assure you that Ipswich won't appoint Terry as new manager due to compensation (as mentioned above) and they'll look for experienced head to try and get them to survival (which is why Curbs is favourite).

Also, his record in England and Australia isn't very good, the only place he's done well is Scotland so if i was Ipswich chairman, i'd not consider him, legend or not.

Craig Levein for Ipswich hahahaha?

I can assure you that Ipswich won't appoint Terry as new manager due to compensation (as mentioned above) and they'll look for experienced head to try and get them to survival (which is why Curbs is favourite).

Also, his record in England and Australia isn't very good, the only place he's done well is Scotland so if i was Ipswich chairman, i'd not consider him, legend or not.

Craig Levein for Ipswich hahahaha?

Curbishley. Don't envy Ipswich. The guy has been out of a job far too long.

As good a manager Butcher is,(and he is good and perfect for us) i just think the other names in the hat are more appealing such as shearer, curbishley and Di Canio.

Butcher is tried and tested in England and has sadly failed each time, on the other hand he's perfect for scottish football.

Sure Ipswich is his boyhood heros and he played and became a legend there but for some reason I'm really not worried at all about him leaving

The fact (if true) that he is buying a house in England means nothing, more to the point is whether he is selling one in the Highlands.

Well that is correct. For all we know, he might have bought it as somewhere to go back to on his holidays (he does head back down Lowestoft way in the summer I believe) or for use later on.

I was reading somewhere as well, that apparently Ipswich have a 40 name list that they're looking at. I would presume Butcher is on that list. I doubt though that he'd be offered the job.

I am sure if Butcher was offered the Ipswich job he would take it without a moment's hesitation.

Can't see it happening though as his managerial record, even during his time with us, is less than stellar and there are a number of much more credible candidates.

http://www.eadt.co.u...ation_1_1669923

Despite the headline, the quotes he give simply say that talk of him being in the frame are pure speculation. There is no reason why speculation can't be correct. At no stage in this does he say he is not interested. He is clearly selling himself in his statement that the players here are responding well to his methods. The implication is that he has the ability to get a response from the Ipswich players who do not seem to be responding very well at the moment. Sounds to me that he's very interested indeed.