Next Ipswich Manager

ICTRoughi

Bad times, must say i think the loan market does more harm than good in the Championship, seems to disrupt the harmony in teams.

Regardless of what happens best of luck to your team, seems like your going through some dark times.

KilburnBlue - feel for you - Ipswich supporter myself I can't believe how the club has dropped to now propping up the Championship. I agree with you as the Keane appointment being the start of the rot.

Not sure who I want to see at the helm at Portman Road next but it shouldn't be Tel - as you say he has too much to lose and he definitely has unfinished work to complete with us first - top 6 and a cup final appearance for starters ;-)

Guest Mahonio

I can see Mick McCarthy getting this job, he's got the experience to get Ipswich out of this mess.

I see Burley wants the job, that would be a disaster if he got it, you'd certainly be heading for League 1 under him!

Well, last time Burley had it, he got Ipswich into Europe! Did well at Hearts and Derby too. It did end badly at Ipswich but when a club won't invest, there's only so much time before it catches up with you. Certainly, no-one's done better since.

The only negative point on his CV at club level is Crystal Palace (Soton was pretty neutral). Obviously Scotland was poor but Burley's main talent was to seek out lesser known players in lower divisions and give them an incentive - not something that can really be done with a national team. I think he'd be an excellent appointment for Ipswich.

Some may remember that when Brewster was sacked, the original odds had Butcher tied with Steve Paterson at 25-1 to get the job (John Robertson was the runaway favourite at that time, with Butcher behind people such as Jim Duffy, Ian MacCall and Gordon Chisholm in the list to get the job). When Paul Jewell was sacked, Butcher was 40-1 to get the Ipswich job. The next day he was 12-1, now he's dropped as low as 3-1 in some cases. The bookies are not often wrong. Do they know something we don't?

Another question I have is has Jewell's assistant manager also been sacked? Surely if Butcher got the job, he'd want to take Malpas with him (he tried to do that at Sydney but their board wouldn't let him), but would he be allowed to be? If not, and Butcher takes the job and has to keep the already appointed assistant, would that see Malpas promoted to ICT manager. Surely that strikes fear into every right thinking ICT fan. His managerial record makes Craig Brewster's look like a relative success.

In all honesty, I think the whole thing comes down to the game on Wednesday. If ICT beat Rangers, that will bring him attention on a national basis. People in Ipswich who are unsure about him or see him as an acceptable choice will soon want him. People who don't want him, may well change their mind and people that do want him, will want him even more. This Wednesday could well mean everything.

Good decision

Really? Gubbed 5-0 away to Crystal Palace tonight!

Not so bad P3 W2 L1 and off the bottom....a long way to go but I think he'll turn it around

Just noticed they beat Burnley at home 2-1, pretty decent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Another good result by McCarthy's team today - 0-2 away win at his old employers Wolves.   Up to 19th and 7 pts off the play-off positions :wink:
First win in a whole calendar year at Molinquex for McCarthy as well.