Next Ipswich Manager

ICTRoughi

Seems the odds on him becoming manager have been slashed quite considerably.

Initially he was at 40/1. By lunch time it was 25/1. It's now down to 14/1 (though I did hear tonight that some bookies had him down to 6/1)

That's quite a difference from 40's to 6's in the space of 24 hours...

his managerial record, even during his time with us, is less than stellar

By any standard, £ for £, I think he's doing a good job. Clubs like Ipswich are not looking for 'stellar' or Mourinho would be the only manager on vacant position shortlists.

Rumours that Burnley are interested in Lomas. So that evens things out with squads being ‘unsettled‘

Edit: Any rumour involving Lomas needs the word ‘alledgedly‘ attached. Dont want lawyers contacting football forums again..... alledgedly.

Edited by CapitalCaley
  • Agree 2

We have a very important game on Saturday and this speculation can only be unsettling for the players. If Terry is not interested in the Ipswich post then he should end the speculation by making a statement to that effect as soon as possible.

He did at the Press Call today....unfortunately it doesn't serve the press too well to make that point clear as the speculation gives them headlines to sell papers off the back of...and it would seem that some of our fans aren't going to accept his word until someone else is appointed.

I'm in the process of uploading the video to YouTube where he says the speculation is nothing more than paper talk.

Butcher's man management skills are well known to be crap:

1. Never plays players in their strongest positions

2. Tactics that are embarrassing

3. Has 'lost' the dressing room on numerous occasions

4. Is 'owned' by the main stand sweetie rustlers

5. Takes advice from the 'Chorley Seer'

What self-respecting Chairman would pursue this non-entity??

Butcher is a competent manager but not a great one. He was, however, a great player and. as such, without doubt, an Ipswich legend.

In ICT terms, I would say that he is a better and more successful manager than Baltacha and Brewster but less so than Paterson, Robertson and Christie.

He is doing a reasonable job and I have no great desire to see him go but in the unlikely event of him landing the Portman Road hotseat I would not be too disappointed to see him go and am sure he could be replaced with another manager of equal calibre and possibly greater potential.

• Agree 1

We have a very important game on Saturday and this speculation can only be unsettling for the players. If Terry is not interested in the Ipswich post then he should end the speculation by making a statement to that effect as soon as possible.

He did at the Press Call today....unfortunately it doesn't serve the press too well to make that point clear as the speculation gives them headlines to sell papers off the back of...and it would seem that some of our fans aren't going to accept his word until someone else is appointed.

I'm in the process of uploading the video to YouTube where he says the speculation is nothing more than paper talk.

I'll be interested to see the video if you are able to post the link. Does he say something different to what has been reported? You refer here to "paper talk" and that is what is being quoted in the media. If he's not interested then all he has to do is to say he's not interested. It's not difficult. We know it's paper talk but is there any truth in it? He's doing himself and his team no favours by talking in riddles. Terry isn't normally so reticent in saying what he thinks!

As for accepting his word, I more than happy to do so. He has said it is paper talk and I accept that it is paper talk. I will also accept his word if he says he isn't interested in the Ipswich job, but as far as I can see he hasn't given a straight answer for anyone to accept or not.

Terry, if you were invited to be interviewed for the Ipswich job would you accept? Yes or no?

Agree with DD there. Unless CaleyD forgot to upload a vital bit of the video, all Terry does is say its paper talk (well yes, it was in the papers!). The BBC article quotes everything he said on camera.

Of course he bloody wants that job, and nobody could blame him. But he ain't gonna get it, and I think he knows that too.

Butcher is a competent manager but not a great one. He was, however, a great player and. as such, without doubt, an Ipswich legend.

In ICT terms, I would say that he is a better and more successful manager than Baltacha and Brewster but less so than Paterson, Robertson and Christie.

He is doing a reasonable job and I have no great desire to see him go but in the unlikely event of him landing the Portman Road hotseat I would not be too disappointed to see him go and am sure he could be replaced with another manager of equal calibre and possibly greater potential.

I agree with Kingsmills on this but would like to add we have only seen 2 realy good home games this season, I think he will have to do a lot more to land this job!

As far as I am concerned, as at the time when we spoke to him, talk of him being in the frame for the Ipswich job was precisely as he said...paper talk and speculation. For me, that means there's no substance to what has been reported to date.

The guy can only be expected to give an answer based on the situation as it stands...who knows if that will change tomorrow, the next day, next week, next month, next year or whatever.

How would fans feel if he said "If they offer me it then I'm off" or "of course I would be interested" and then still be here if/when someone else got the position? He'd have people calling for his head on the basis that he's not committed to ICT.

Yeah, we'd all like to see what thoughts are going through his head, but he's doing the right thing and not making a big issue of it one way or the other....choosing instead to concentrate on what he is paid to do by ICT and what we all want him to be doing as fans....making sure the team is in the best shape possible for the next match.

Hi

Hope you do not mind me posting here as i am an Ipswich Town fan & all.

A good friend of mine runs a hotel in Drumnadrochit & when i stay over i normally pop over to Caledonian Stadium to watch you play.. With my boyhood hero being your manager there was not much incentive needed to cheer you guys on. I also like to see how young Josh Meekings is progressing who I rated at our place but was sadly not given much of a chance at Portman Road.

Anyway here was a little link in the local paper regarding what he said abiut the situation but no video either i am afraid -

.http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/terry_butcher_flattered_by_ipswich_town_link_but_dismisses_the_speculation_1_1669923

A lot of people in Ipswich have the view that they do not want him to come to be our next manager. Not because they do not think he could do a job there but are worried he would lose his legendary status that he holds and many like i would not want him to lose that,

Hope your all well

Edited by KilburnBlue

How would fans feel if he said "If they offer me it then I'm off" or "of course I would be interested" and then still be here if/when someone else got the position? He'd have people calling for his head on the basis that he's not committed to ICT.

He gave exactly the right sort of answer for someone who wants the job, skirting round the question and neither confirming his interest nor telling any lies. My gripe is that, as so often happens in the media, the response isn't properly interpreted and the resultant story isn't really backed up by the quotes.

• Agree 1

I think your expectations on what he should/should not have said are unreasonable....

I'm not saying he's not interested....I don't know the answer to that one way or the other....but why would he burn bridges at ICT and/or totally dismiss the Ipswich job if no approach has been made? (and I believe that was the case when we spoke to him yesterday).

Would you give notice to your employers based on nothing more than seeing a vacancy for another job that interested you in the paper?

Todays papers talking about Butcher starting contract talks with Shinnie and Meekings and aims to start retaining most of the team for next season. Dosent seem like the actions of a man on the way out. As has been said i can see Ipswich going for someone like Coyle or McCarthy who is unattached. Dont see Burley getting it, the mans recent track record in the championship is dismal to say the least.

KilburnBlue i must ask whats happened to your team? I always remember Ipswich looking good contenders for promotion but theyve just spiralled closer and closer to relegation the last few seasons.

KilburnBlue i must ask whats happened to your team? I always remember Ipswich looking good contenders for promotion but theyve just spiralled closer and closer to relegation the last few seasons.

Sorry for long post

In my opinion it started to go wrong when we appointed Roy Keane. I know it’s all easily said and done with the benefit of hindsight, and I be honest we were thrilled at the time. However It quickly fell apart as Keane’s shortcomings as a manager became apparent. Some strange transfer dealings (Jordan Rhodes’ departure is a particularly painful example) coupled with some even stranger on-pitch tactics and selections. He also spent a huge wedge of money & hooked us into big contracts.

We then got Paul Jewell in but i feel he messed up almost immediately by bringing some players who were well past their best (ie Jimmy Bullard and Lee Bowyer) & we never could get any momentum going last season.

In the summer we lost a lot of players who were out of contract & in turn we struggled to bring players in for one reason or another. Mostly because the club were unwilling to pay new players big wages and this left our squad looking incredibly thin. So we looked at the loan market and brought in 8 players on loan and a couple of short term contracts including people like D.J Campbell, Daryl Murphy, Richie Wellens, Danny Higginbotham, Stephen Henderson etc as well as having Nigel Reo-Coker on a three month short term contract.

This seem to leave us with a team on the field who lack passion and sadly it started to effect the crowd. Attendences started to drop and the atmosphere is the worse I have known it to be in 35 years i have been supporting Town.

Sadly some of the contracted players we do have at the club have ended up arguing with the fans via twitter(Chopra, Loach, Emmanuel-Thomas, Carson) and this has left the fans not warming to the contracted players or the loanees. I could go on but basically the place is falling apart at the seams :(

As for our next manager think it will be someone who is not in a job as I do not think the club would want to pay compensation. As for the Burley Butcher combo I cannot see this happening myself. Maybe i am wrong but feel George Burley has not got the same hunger he once had to suceed to become a good manager. Just my opinion though.

Hope your all well & all