Crowd Stats

Joonya

Good wee article here, on the 2 extreme types of football supporter

http://youngsportswr...-and-tribalism/

Too many type one's and not enough type two's at TCS?

'' They have read bits of Kant'' read a bit? im friend with kant on facebook! i must be the inteligent one then.

Kant the Highland Marcher ;)

Kant kant remember his farcebook password though.

• Agree 4

Does anyone think that the fact the game was on a Sun actually had an effect? Are there perhaps some fans too hung over after a heavy Sat night to make it, or have perhaps spent the full wknd budget before the Sun arrives? Does the church still have an influence on what happens in Sneck on a Sun?

maybe the biggest factor was that it was also on Sky, so maybe some fans have the mindset that if they pay for Sky and can see it in the warmth of their house then why bother going to the game?

Whatever the cause, the crowd was poorer than the performance IMO and thats some feat!!!

I grew up supporting the club when crowds of 1500-2000 were the norm. I think im fairly right in saying the first home game after feb 8th there was an attendance of 1700 or something lol. Saturday was the 1st time in 8 years we dropped below 3000 and only by 52 or something. I see some people have joked about people not making the game bcz of being at the kirk, well i know of quite a few where that was indeed the reason. I had work along with no doubt a few others. Not to mention that its a month before christmas and folk are obviosly saving and lastly, it was on the telly! I'll worry if our next home game is below the 3000 mark but, for now, im not to worried!

On the thing about Invernessians not supporting us. I disagree, i think theres a fairly large home support or a large number of locals who wish us well. Its just peoples expectations have changed and just expect us to be in the SPL and the 'new' novelty has gone. There is no rush to go watch us now. (Thats why i think there was a massive home crowd for the derby, its been along time since there was a derby). Likewise we now expect to see 3000-4000 at TCS when its not that long ago that was unheard of.

• Agree 3

That figure, Forza Cale,y was achievable on occasion when Caley and Thistle were in the Highland League.

Mind you , in them thar days, an adult could get in the stand for 2 shillings and sixpence--which seemed like a heck of a lot of money to a wee boy like me at that time. Stratospheric actually.

Mind you, players could be transferred for pittances--one player decided to go to Elgin for 50 pounds more in his pocket, fer goodness sake.

• Agree 1

Invernessians have little interest in ICT , our support is made up of incomers in the main .

I really doubt it is. Out of everyone I know who goes to games not one is an incomer.

The crowds in the first season in 94 must have been around the 2,000 mark and it stayed consistent till we reached the spl where it jumped. Seems to have dipped this season though.

Invernessians have little interest in ICT , our support is made up of incomers in the main .

I really doubt it is. Out of everyone I know who goes to games not one is an incomer.

The crowds in the first season in 94 must have been around the 2,000 mark and it stayed consistent till we reached the spl where it jumped. Seems to have dipped this season though.

On Joe's first point - I agree totally. A very large number of home fans at Inverness are Invernessians although, just like the population as a whole, there will also be a significant presence of incomers. And I am not going to follow on and rise to Dougal's bait which Kind Of Blue rightly exposes in Post 26!

On Joe's second point, I think he's kind of right, but more specifically -

* The average crowd for the first season 94-95 was just 1275, ranging from 491 v Albion Rovers to 2440 and 3562 for the two home derbies.

* By D3 championship season 96-97 that had risen to 2500. Here the first three months had been at Telford Street but the early games at the new Caledonian Stadium attracted big crowds, partly due to a novelty factor and especially if they were derbies, title or promotion winning occasions or the official opening.

* I don't have averages at hand for 1997-2004 but I recollect that crowds for the two seasons in D2 were a bit lower than 96-97 for reasons implied above. Then for the five seasons in D1 I have a clear recollection that very many of the games would attract 1800-1900, but somewhat more if County or Livi were involved so some averages would also be a bit above this.

* RIG's excellent graph earlier in the thread for the SPL years then says it all - a slow start in a season where the first half was at Pittodrie and then a rise to 5000 followed by a slow decline to about 4000 (and a one off drop in D1 in 09-10), with a slight rise this season. However that includes one game against Celtic and the first of two against County and the picture isn't yet complete.

All in all... a bit of an attendance rollercoaster for ICT over the years.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

* The average crowd for the first season 94-95 was just 1275, ranging from 491 v Albion Rovers to 2440 and 3562 for the two home derbies.

I actually got part of the information for that from the magnificent bound volume of full match reports for the first two seasons which I was given by Ian Broadfoot in 1996 and which I dug out whilst posting last night. It really is a masterpiece of information about the early years of ICT - reports, team lines, subs, scores, scorers, times, attendances etc etc. All you would expect from an Ian Broadfoot production.

Am I an incomer? Born Raigmore but brought up in Lochaber. I've never thought myself as such cos of the shire of Inverness. And I believe I do know Joe.

Well let's put it this way say a pet cat gave birth in a kennel it doesn't make the kittens puppies does it?

You are a perfect example of the type of ICT fan that the club targeted and that make up a large proportion of our support

Yokels can accuse me of fishing if they want but the fact that other posters agree with me only shows that I and others don't tow the party line on CTO and have our own opinions.Is it any wonder more and more posters stop logging in and choose Pie & Bovril as an alternative?

Dougal

Edited by dougal
  • Agree 1

Well, Dougal, this is a rough and tough site at times and any poster always has the option to leave. Keep a calm seough (is that spelt richt, Charles?) and when you calm down a wee bit you'll realise how much this site means to you. And others.

But, believe me:

If you leave in a tizzy, soon you will be in a frizzy

'Cos you'll miss the banter, and the chatter

From some who are as mad as a hatter. :laugh:

12.45 on a feckin Sunday and live on Sky - what do you feckin expect.

Have to agree Wiv Dougal to a degree as many of the Sneckie based attenders that I know still have allegiances to other SPL teams, mainly the Old Firm and Aberdire - old Caley and Jeggies - and a lot of them ain't going any more. Many of the newer fans that I have met in the last 2-3 seasons are what Dougal refers to as "incomers" although quite a few have some roots in the Highlands. What has always puzzled me is that we don't have groups of fans - who could share a minibus and start up supporter branches in the likes of Speyside, Moray, Ross-shire, Fort William, the far north, the West Coast and the Isles, Why are we not enticing them on board ?

• Agree 1

Am I an incomer? Born Raigmore but brought up in Lochaber. I've never thought myself as such cos of the shire of Inverness. And I believe I do know Joe.

Well let's put it this way say a pet cat gave birth in a kennel it doesn't make the kittens puppies does it?

You are a perfect example of the type of ICT fan that the club targeted and that make up a large proportion of our support

Yokels can accuse me of fishing if they want but the fact that other posters agree with me only shows that I and others don't tow the party line on CTO and have our own opinions.Is it any wonder more and more posters stop logging in and choose Pie & Bovril as an alternative?

Dougal

What a stupid analogy. And I wasn't targeted by anyone. My support was my choice borne about from my occassional support of Thistle in the seventies.

What has always puzzled me is that we don't have groups of fans - who could share a minibus and start up supporter branches in the likes of Speyside, Moray, Ross-shire, Fort William, the far north, the West Coast and the Isles, Why are we not enticing them on board ?

The isles are almost entirely made up of old firm and aberdeen fans but on occasion when their "big team" have no game on, busses have come through to Inverness. There is an interest there though but mainly as a second team. A lot of people come through with their families so here's hoping ICT become the "big team" of the next generation. Lets remember we are still a very young football club.

Wester-Ross, Lochalsh, Ullapool, Gairloch etc are traditionally gypo supporting strongholds!

Good post - I suspect it is much the same in the other areas that I alluded to. But 4-5 years ago when I came "home" I could only ever see Old Firm and European tops in the streets and parks of Inverness. Now there are usually as many ICT tops as the others. ICT has a younger, developing support. It is the new generation and that is why we should be really targeting schools and outlying communities. Our/my generation were brought up mainly supporting Caley or the Fools as a second team. Many still hold those allegiances, many scorned the birth of ICT, many stuck by their "big" teams and quite a few watch ICT due to on-going friendships but ICT are the second choice team. I suspect that Joe and his peers are the commencement of the first post-merger generation and they are fairly solidarity in numbers and betrothed in their support. The next generation is coming along.

This thread is yet another merger orientated one and it is the pre-merger influences who are using the terminology "incomers". There is a lack of support and enthusiasm related to the 35 year old plus population but hopefully a growing support of the under 35 population.

And what is the terminology/ criteria of "incomer" - I suspect that I may also be one - and if so I am proud to be one - as I chose to move fer the financial safety of my family, am happy where I am but I class myself as a born and bred Invernessian. It will always be my home and unlike many others I have chosen ICT well in front of my old Cellic "roots" - unlike many others.

O2feckinB

• Agree 1