Fish Suppers

DoofersDad

It seems that the team often do well when there is the prospect of a fish supper at Auchterader on the way home. I wonder if there is a lesson here for improved home performance?

Can we site a mobile fish and chip van up-wind of the pitch with the promise of a fish supper if they win, mushy peas if they draw and a pickled gherkin if they lose. The aroma of fish and chips wafting over the pitch would surely inspire the team to victory. In addition, if fish and chips were to be sold to the crowd there would be an additional source of revenue for the club.

But on the subject of Fish Suppers, what do folk think are the best? I certainly like Harry Ramsden's fish but I'm not struck on their chips. I'm more of a going in to eat sort of person these days and have never been disappointed with the haddock and chips at the Snow Goose. You can get a decent glass of red wine there too. Where in Inverness do you recommend Terry and the boys go for their post match fish supper?

As a fish supper connoisseur,I have to say, there's no such thing as a great fish supper in Inverness. Some OK ones,but never found a great one in all my time up here and now more and more seem to be using Pollock instead of Cod or Haddock :sad: Mebbes why the team perform better with the promise of a decent fish supper on the road :wink:

As a fish supper connoisseur,I have to say, there's no such thing as a great fish supper in Inverness. Some OK ones,but never found a great one in all my time up here and now more and more seem to be using Pollock instead of Cod or Haddock :sad: Mebbes why the team perform better with the promise of a decent fish supper on the road :wink:

I was going to say. I havent had an good chippy in many many years in Inverness. Where are the OK fish suppers to be found in sneck Dee? I saw an interesting article on tv a while back...about the fish supper...where MANY chippies were breaking the law...saying that it was Haddock or Cod they were using...when it wasnt

Sadly a good fish supper is very hard to come by in many towns and cities of the UK. The main reason, I believe, is the use of vegetable and rapeseed oils. These just dont give the same flavours as good old animal fats. Then of course there's the newspaper issue. The aroma coming through the newspaper set the tastebuds going long before the food reached the mouth.

• Agree 2

I expected to take a battering for my comments,and I don't want to carp on, but it seems others agree,fish suppers just ain't what they used to be. I agree Harry Ramsdens is passable and Lorimers on a good day are fine,but vary from visit to visit. Alex may have a point re cooking oils but Pepe's in Arbroath and the West end Chipper in Dundee( before it tragically burnt doon a couple of months back) do a stupendous single fish. Tally's always made THE best fish batter and since we have the best Cod and Haddock anywhere in the world it seems obvious Italian family owned chippers in Scotland are the Holy Grail for conniseurs.The practice of Kebab shops and Chinese takawa's trying to do fish suppers just don't work,and multi food emporiums are a no go as far as I'm concerned.

I long for fresh Haddock in batter that melts in yer mooth with a helping of "fish bits" ( the scrapings of left over batter )scattered over the top and chips so hot you can't talk with one in your mouth.

The reason we can't get good suppers now,I blame that bloody Salmon(d)

I'm not a big chippie fan tbh but I do love my kebabs though I don't often have them and so far I have found Inverness poor in this front. Glasgow was great however with Taste of Punjab in the wast end being my fave.

Waterfront in Broadford did a crackin Fish Supper, as does the Chippie nearest the Peerie Sea in Kirkwall. Tend to go to the Hilton Chippie in town now as they will fry the chips for an extra 2 mins if you ask to get them a wee bit crispy, as most places under cook them a bit these days,

I agree with Alex. I think its mainly down to the cooking oils used these days. Best chips ever, were my mum and dads homemade chips....cooked in proper fat....none of this healthy options. Last good chippy i had (bare in mind...im in Inverness 99.9999999999% of the time) was about 10 yrs ago. My exs Dad owned a good chippy in Ayr and it was the last time i had anything tasty from a chippy. not sure how he cooks his goodies. But the offering in Snecky are pretty lousy. Even Harry Ramsdens. Decent fish...but chips remiind me of reheats

Crap website ... but best Fish 'n' Chips in Toronto as far as I am concerned ..... St andrews's Fish and Chips : http://www.standrewsfishandchips.com/ Others claim to be authentic, but just seem over-priced and underwhelming !

As for Inverness or on my travels with ICT in the past .... the one out on Glenurquhart road was about the best on previous trips home although Hilton Chippie was also good .... and I cant remember if it was Auchterarder or elsewhere, but coming back up the road I always remember stopping somewhere and going to a chipper just off the main street up a small hill .... those were good !

Never been a fan of Harry Ramsdens - always thought them over-hyped, and although cooked well, portions and fish size were very hit and miss, especially considering the price

• Agree 1

Bughtmaster wants me to chip in

But ah get mah sardines oot of a tin.

And, forby, today I went to see Kevin the surgeon

Who asked me aboot the smell on me breatth and says

"Was that sturgeon?

And Ah replies with really great cool

" If I tell you, will you do the ither eye free."

And he replies "Scottish Laddie, ah like yer humor

But frankly-speaking, sometimes ah think yer just a stumor,

And that's no rumor.

Come clean, the laser gun is here to boot.

Give it to me straight or it's any eye to suit...me, not you

And frankly ah've goat the upper hand so you canna sue

Where did ya get the sturgeon in them thar parts?

Ah'm no telling ye till ah get mah get answer

But I will, say this: ah,m the one with the smarts.

"They're in the FRASER river just upstream

So ye don't have tae gae over on the jumbo jet tae Cheam

"Ochone, och aye., mud in yer eye" he Quoths.

"No, Dr Kevin you cannae dae that" ah said in haste "It'll spoil the Trabeculaplasty laser beam

And when I'll look oot the windae what I see will nae be what it may seem.

And ah'l maybe wake up and find ah'm in a dream

Now ah've telt ye whit yese wants tae know, so just get on with it or it will be Winter ,man, and with that the snow.

"AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

• Agree 1

Our local down here in Bristol is one of the best Fish lots I have had in recent times, the guy who runs the place (no pun intended) is a stickler for cooking his fish fresh, he says you wouldnt expect a good steak to be cooked and left in a heated cabinet, a good piece of fish can be nearlly as expensive as steak now adays so why shouldnt it be traeted the same way, so we have to wait 10-12 minutes for our fish cooked freash but its a wait worth the bother.

• Agree 2

Our local down here in Bristol is one of the best Fish lots I have had in recent times, the guy who runs the place (no pun intended) is a stickler for cooking his fish fresh, he says you wouldnt expect a good steak to be cooked and left in a heated cabinet, a good piece of fish can be nearlly as expensive as steak now adays so why shouldnt it be traeted the same way, so we have to wait 10-12 minutes for our fish cooked freash but its a wait worth the bother.

That sounds excellent.  Nothing like that round this area of Englandshire unfortunately.  The best I've had is a few years ago in a little seaside village called Seahouses in Northumberland.

That sounds excellent.  Nothing like that round this area of Englandshire unfortunately.  The best I've had is a few years ago in a little seaside village called Seahouses in Northumberland.

Ive always assumed you get better fish/seafood at coastal towns, is that a old wifes tale or simply true as the stuff tends to be local so fresher better prepared presented etc?

Good thread! Personally I think Harry Ramsdens or Hilton Chippie are best. I too stay away from the multi food takeaway joints due to previous bad experience!!!

Also been a long time since I had a decent chinese takeaway. They all seem to be very poor these days? Anyone got any recommendations for a good chinese takeaway in town?

Ive always assumed you get better fish/seafood at coastal towns, is that a old wifes tale or simply true as the stuff tends to be local so fresher better prepared presented etc?

That definitely used to be the case, but not so much these days.  Even seaside chippies now seem to get their supplies delivered by wholesalers rather than from their local harbour.

Also been a long time since I had a decent chinese takeaway. They all seem to be very poor these days? Anyone got any recommendations for a good chinese takeaway in town?

Good point,they have all become homogenised with the same menu's everywhere and over stewed servings of unrecognisable gloop,and don't get me started on the buffet style ones!!

IMHO,Millburn takeaway used to be about the best of the bunch and Dennis in Wells street is OK. 

• 3 weeks later...

There is a great one in Shetland, queue's out the door when I was there.  Best I've had in years.

Glasgow is very hit or miss.  Some are truly awful and leave you feeling grim but some cook the fish fresh when you order it and chips are proper good too.

I always did like the Hilton chipper and I remember when I was wee the one opposite the Tarry Isle being good.

Ramsden's? Mass produced, franchised junk - if that's the best Inverness has to offer go get a pizza!

On the subject of chinese takeaways in Inverness, the spare ribs from the one on Castle St are fabulous.  Not too sure about their other fare tho.