• Katherine Grainger
    • Chris Hoy
    • Rory McIlroy
    • Andy Murray
    • Ellie Simmonds
    • Sarah Storey
    • David Weir
    • Bradley Wiggins

Based on Yngwie's logic I hope Ennis is the winner then!  A highly politically correct 'short' list.  Murray doesn't lack personality, we don't all have to be like Davina McCall (plus Michael Owen, a personality free zone, won) but I think he cooked his SPOTY goose with the ABE comments however many years back, joking or otherwise but (and I'm English) I think he'd be the most deserving winner.  I just can't take the TdF seriously after the scandal.

As a golfer, the best sporting performance of the year for me, by a country mile, was Ian Poulter single handedly turning round a lost Ryder cup and inspiring his team to victory,since he's not in the list i expect an olympic darling to get it,probably Mo Farrah.

Based on Yngwie's logic I hope Ennis is the winner then!  A highly politically correct 'short' list.  Murray doesn't lack personality, we don't all have to be like Davina McCall (plus Michael Owen, a personality free zone, won) but I think he cooked his SPOTY goose with the ABE comments however many years back, joking or otherwise but (and I'm English) I think he'd be the most deserving winner.  I just can't take the TdF seriously after the scandal.

Andy Murray didn't really say anything like ABE, it's just unfortunate that a couple of unscrupulous journalists decided to report it as so (and the myth has since grown). Andy Murray certainly does have a personality however the above 'incident' has led him to giving monosyllabic, dry interviews to avoid being burned again.

I think in terms of Sporting achievement I think that it has to be Wiggins, Murray and Farrah although I wouldn't be surprised to see Ennis walk off with something (instead of Murray).

Edited by Hiro

• 2 weeks later...

Alister Cook is coming up fast on the outside , more test centuries than any one in an  England shirt

He will get it next year if as Captain Cook he keeps winning

Being a cricketer is more demanding than any other sport. It takes more skill than anyother sport

Alister Cook is coming up fast on the outside , more test centuries than any one in an England shirt

He will get it next year if as Captain Cook he keeps winning

Being a cricketer is more demanding than any other sport. It takes more skill than anyother sport

Dafuq did I just read?

If its waffle, Face a cricket ball at your head doing 90 miles an hour

Stand in the slips for six hours watching every ball doing a similar speed, then having to catch it like a flying brick, not parry it away like a golie.

Play nearly every day of the week with  no rest like a soccer player

Bowl twenty overs at full pelt running  thousands of yards in a day

If there is any other sport more demanding I would like to know about it

This is not to mention the upire who has to concentrate on the flight and bounce of every delivery.

I don't know when you lot will respect I know what I am talking about.

• Agree 1

Andy Murray didn't really say anything like ABE, it's just unfortunate that a couple of unscrupulous journalists decided to report it as so (and the myth has since grown). Andy Murray certainly does have a personality however the above 'incident' has led him to giving monosyllabic, dry interviews to avoid being burned again.

I think in terms of Sporting achievement I think that it has to be Wiggins, Murray and Farrah although I wouldn't be surprised to see Ennis walk off with something (instead of Murray).

Didnt he wore an ABE t shirt under his top, which he showed the crowd? Im pretty sure i have seen the clip of it

Andy Murray should win it but he won't. No he didn't wear an ABE shirt but someone gave him a Paraguay(?) shirt which he mght've worn in training - might be that you've seen a clip of Smee? Wiggins better not win it after the complete ***** he came out with on Twitter (I see he's deleted his account now)  And as for cricket - LMFAO only thing it's good for is supplying decent dancers for Strictly! Tennis is a FAR more demanding and intense sport. Jeez probably even golf is more demandng and intense than cricket!

Since Andy's not winning it I would like to see Mo Farah win.

And the winners are....in no particular order

Yngwie

Charles Bannerman

Crownjaggy

Not only did the bring inspiration to this thread by correctly predicting who should win it but went that bit extra and pushing themselves to the limits actually predicted who would win it. As there's only room for one trophy you'll have to come to agreement to share it.

post-81-0-72182700-1355772567_thumb.jpg

I agree with Laurence :crazy:

Test cricket is perhaps the most underestimated of sporting activities.  So many different attributes are required to truly excel.  Unfortunately the fast pace of modern life, policies in schools and the distractions of computer games etc mean that very few youngsters play the game to any kind of level which provides them with the basic coaching which would allow them to appreciate just what a complex and challenging game it is.

Unfortunately far too few countries play cricket and it is never going to be a truly international game.  It is a game that will go into decline - a victim of a modern society and where I disagree with Laurence is that I doubt a cricketer will ever win sports personality of the year again.

It's not a coincidence that so few countries play it. It's nothing more than a test of how brain dead someone is and this can be calculated by how long it takes before they give up and get put out.  The more brain dead you are, the happier you are to stand there using a 4 inch wide plank to protect a 9 inch wide target...you could almost do that with your eyes closed.  That would be like reducing football goals to 4 feet wide and deciding the game by having teams fire shots from the penalty spot all afternoon.

It's not a coincidence that so few countries play it. It's nothing more than a test of how brain dead someone is and this can be calculated by how long it takes before they give up and get put out.  The more brain dead you are, the happier you are to stand there using a 4 inch wide plank to protect a 9 inch wide target...you could almost do that with your eyes closed.  That would be like reducing football goals to 4 feet wide and deciding the game by having teams fire shots from the penalty spot all afternoon.

Can't believe you'd waste time posting drivel like this. I'm with Laurence, and to some extent, Doofer's Dad. I don't agree with DD where he says it is on the decline. Cricket is a great game and is a long way from being dead. OK, I admit it is changing, look at the IPL for example, and the crowds they get there.  I expect the 20/20 version of the game will expand dramatically over years to come, but I am sure Test cricket is far from its death bed.

I'm sure cricket's dangerous, hence all the pads and face guards. I'm sure there's loads of skill involved. But the usual pompous reply from Laurence because he can't get people to listen....... Laurence you should try teaching, it would be so easy for you!

Anyway you can't have it both ways..... Surely the fact that people play cricket all day is because they don't need to be fit like in football or rugby?

Cricket is a fine sport, where else can fans go and drink continually for 5 days at a single sporting event and have it accepted, they even introduced lunch and morning/afternoon tea breaks to allow fans to go to the toilet and get beer refills without missing any 'action'. Then if there to be a shower of rain on the last day for the whole thing to be abandoned and declared a draw - allowing it to happen all over again. Its truely a sport designed for alcoholic spectators - which does raise the point of why its not more popular in Scotland?