Tokely brands booing a disgrace

Yngwie

Agree re the 'non-story' and change of headline. However I dont recall many of the season ticket holders booing at the game, mostly the' derby's and old firm only' brigade, with a wee drink in possibly? You know, the one's with the ICT scarves that look brand new as they only get them out of the cupboard a couple of times a year. Mind you with home gates so low we need every paying punter I guess.

Best moment of the season so far? - the goal at Parkhead and Robert's turn that left two Celtic defenders on their arses. Fantastic.

I received the information below in an email from Charles Bannerman a few minutes ago and was asked to post it here for public consumption as both he and Rosscoe are aware of this forum thread regarding the BBC article, and the content of the article actually came from an interview CB did with Ross. 

Ross has asked me to post this - which I am in a good position to do since I did the radio interview with him from which the quotes for the BBC online copy were taken, although I was not involved at all in the writing of the copy linked to in the OP.

That online item makes it quite clear that it was the fact that he was booed at the Caledonian Stadium on October 5th that upset Ross and nothing he said in the quoted passages nor indeed at any point in my 4 minute interview could possible be construed as critical of or disrespectful to ICT fans. It is the action of booing which upset him, but he he in no way criticised ICT fans, either collectively or individually.

Ross has just told me: "I think the majority of Caley fans are great but it was just the booing that disappointed me. I was not being disrespectful to the fans."
I can confirm that without qualification. This also is entirely consistent with what he said in this morning's interview and what is reported in the article.

Ross did this afternoon take issue with the original headline because he was concerned that some swipe on his part at ICT fans might be inferred which was not intended. That headline was changed around 4:30 - as it happens shortly after the original post was made here. As a result the link to what appears on the BBC website is now inconsistent with the title of the thread. Perhaps the Mods could make the relevant change because the title, although quoting something which was present for quite a short time, is now very misleading.

As a result of this email, and the change in the headline of the actual article on the BBC website to something more accurate, I will update the thread title accordingly. As I said in my own post earlier in this thread, it seems like it was nothing more than some online journalist down the road taking things out of context and sensationalising what is basically a throwaway comment ......

• Agree 1

Thanks to Scotty for getting that message from Ross on (above )by roundabout means when my computer wasn't letting me. Thanks also to Scotty for telling me how to fix my computer!

Interesting post #32 from Don as well since his cameraman activities certainly also make him one of "them scoundrels" :laugh:  :laugh:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

But it is my understanding that Rossco had an offer on the table and he refused it. He wanted more, like a spoilt little child, and because daddy butcher said no he spat his dummy out and ran away to Uncle Roy.

According to himself in the P&J I think it was (could be wrong though), he was only offered 400 p/w to stay with us, about a 3rd of what he was on before. Just a slightly more polite way then telling him to GTF. He was pissed off at the way it was handled that it was strung out and he never actually got a proper chance to say goodbye to the fans.

Although he was offered a new contract, ICT would have been just as well to shove a big boot on and kicked him out the back door considering the money on offer. 

Edited by Iain

Does anyone seriously think that if Ross had been offered the same wage he would have gone across the bridge, whether he was worth the same wage is a different discussion. 

Now onto the booing, personally I would not boo him I just couldn't after what he has done for ICT and while I might not like to hear it I have no issue with those that want to boo as like previous posters said he is playing for our bitter rivals. 

Listen up here. Ross Tokely is a professional. He will play to 100% for any team that pays his wages. He knew that he wasn't going to get another season at ICT except as a squad player, then saw an opportunity to get another pay day and squeeze another season out of the dregs of his career without uprooting or dropping (arguable ) standards. Of course he couldn't do that wihout blaming ICT because he knew damn well how it would be recieved, like your wife going off to shack up with the next door neighbour (for those of you that insist on romanticising the issue) What do you expect. - to be welcomed back with open arms?

I am completely indifferent to Ross Tokely.

• Agree 1

This thread demonstrates how easy it is to believe what you read and to take things out of context. I hadn't seen the original article hence I assumed Yngwie had produced his own title to the thread. Apologies for that. The BBC writer glossed up CB's interview to make look like something that wasn't and immediate thoughts are that Ross Tokely was slating ICT fans. As it transpires that was not the case.

I am somewhat in agreement with Davie in that Ross was not going to be a regular first team player. I've never seen any published figures on what he was offered compared to what he previously earned, nor do I know the structure of payment for ICT players. Are they paid game bonuses, win bonuses etc over and above a basic wage? I do feel though that the top earners within the budget should be the players who are critical to the team. The ones who play every week. If Ross wasn't going to be one of those then it's only right that his payment should drop. By how much I cant say but it obviously didn't agree with what he believed he was worth so he signed for our neighbours.

As for the booing, I am inclined to think that that was more for joining our rivals than for leaving us. Had he come back with a central belt team he'd have probably got the same welcome as Blackie did when he came back with Hearts. Ross Tokely was a great player and great ambassador for our club for many years and I wish him well in the short time he has left to play. Who know's, maybe one day he'll return to us in a different capacity.

Tokely will always be an ICT legend, before and after the match. However for the 90mins when he plays for our local rivals against us then he's fair game for booing imho! Mostly it's just banter and I'm sure Ross accepts that? If it winds him up then great that's an advantage to ICT !

What disappoints me most is his comment above -

"I think the majority of Caley fans are great but it was just the booing that disappointed me. I was not being disrespectful to the fans."

........"Caley" fans !!!!!! Never have I been so disrespected !!! :ictscarf:

• Agree 1

Rosscoe - you are an ICT legend and always will be. Any ICT fan that boos you should hang his head in shame!!!! 

Mind you, if you had scored an own goal with thon header rather than hit the bar in our last game versus C**nty you would have been an even bigger ICT legend!!!

Hope you enjoy the game tomorrow - and I trust you will enjoy watching ICT - the Highland'sNo.1 club - in the next round of the Scottish Cup!!!

What's with all the PC "thou shall not boo an ex player" BS???

I really do worry about some of our fans....defending their right to boo own team one minute, then chastising fellow fans for booing an opponent the next!!!

It's football, it's a bit of banter and no lines were crossed (as far as I heard and am concerned).

Build a bridge and get over it.....just as Tokely did when he accepted our rivals money to turn out for them instead of us.

Ross is an ICT legend and I personally find it very disappointing that people chose to boo him at the earlier league game.  The offer from the club was quite frankly insulting and gave him no option but to seek pastures new.  I would hope that he will br treated with a bit of respect tomorrow, same goes for Granty. 

There are plenty of other guys on the park and dug-out more worthy of abuse.

• Agree 2

If he plays just give him a few verses of 'one Ross Tokely' at the start and he'll be so confused he'll hit the net instead of the bar this time.

Great idea - knowing Rossco, that would put him into a spin and hopefully  will lead him to having a mare. Has to be during the warm up tho and at the start of each half. Brill....

Edited by caleyboy

I look forward to seeing this thread implode tomorrow evening after Tokely is booed again! ;)

I can hear it now....some ICT fans will boo Tokely, then other ICT fans will boo the fans that are booing, then RC fans will boo the ICT fans cos they think we're all booing Tokely,..... repeat until final whistle ! :lol:
  • Agree 1

What's with all the PC "thou shall not boo an ex player" BS???

We see it over here all the time !!! Given Toronto FC's incredible turnover of players since entering MLS (almost as many players in 6 seasons as ICT have used in 18), and the very nature of MLS which means players get traded within the league all the time, we have witnessed a fairly large number of ex-players coming back to haunt us !

Toronto fans have three ways of dealing with it ... for some players, their stay here was so short or anonymous that they are somewhat irrelevant ... for others they pissed the fans off by being crap or by slagging off the team and/or the city when they left so they get pelters, and for others, they were regarded as important players for the team who may not have chosen to leave so they dont get a hard time.

Carl Robinson was a good example. He played a total of 84 games from day 1 until the 3rd season and was then traded to New York. Wasnt his choice, and he was very complimentary about the team and fans after he left, so the fans had no grudges with him. when he turned up for a TFC -V- NY game, he was roundly applauded before the game, then the fans booed NY (including him) all through the game .... near the end Robinson scored for NY and did not celebrate. He shrugged off the plaudits of his team mates and was very respectful .... despite him scoring, that action alone made him even more of a legend with TFC fans, but the point is, the fans showed him respect and he showed it back ....  Thats how I believe we should deal with Rossco. Applaud him for all he did in an ICT shirt over 16 seasons, support our team during the match and boo the entire County team, not just Rossco, Munro, Vigurs, Brown, Fraser or any other former ICT players !

Jeff Cunningham on the other hand was roundly booed by TFC fans when he came back to BMO field in Dallas colours. He came to TFC as an American international and with a reputation as a goalscorer and wore number 93 in honour of the number of goals he had scored in MLS up to that point. Over 2 seasons he scored just 6 in 36 games for TFC despite having averaged 1 goal every two games both before he came to TFC and after he left. He also dissed his team mates, the club and the city after he left so as far as TFC fans were concerned he was fair game ..... I did boo him, along with the rest of the TFC supporters because he was being a twat. Not sure I can think of any former ICT players who were quite in the same league of absolute asshole-hood, but I am sure there might be a few suggestions ....

As a footnote ... when the 2010 MLS Cup Final was played in Toronto to decide who would be champions of MLS, the two sides involved were Colorado and Dallas. Virtually 90% of the TFC supporters who were there (a ticket for this was included in our season ticket package) supported Colorado. the reason for this? Cunningham was in the Dallas side, and another former TFC player who we actually liked (Marvell Wynne) was in the Colorado side .... Colorado won, and Wynne hailed the TFC fans after the game for their support of him and his team.

Dont single out Tokely........Boo the whole team

^^^^^^

would be better off at Eden Court seeing Mother Goose than attending the footie

I agree with Tokely the booing was a disgrace to be honest it was done by the minority but it was still hugely embarrassing, a guy that sweated blood over the years for this club should never have been disrespected in such a way and I would like to take this opportunity to appologise to him knowing that he will read this thread

Dougal

^^^^^^

would be better off at Eden Court seeing Mother Goose than attending the footie

I agree with Tokely the booing was a disgrace to be honest it was done by the minority but it was still hugely embarrassing, a guy that sweated blood over the years for this club should never have been disrespected in such a way and I would like to take this opportunity to appologise to him knowing that he will read this thread

Dougal

Explain please..............booing the opposition is part of the atmosphere regardless of who is in there team. But then your alleigances are questionable anyway.

The point being when I go to watch ICT play I go to support ICT not to hurl abuse or boo an opponent just for the sake of it

If anything you come across like an old firm fan with that kind of medieval attitude

Defend the booing of Tokely all you want but you know it and I know it that it was wrong for you to boo him in the first derby

Dougal