Ross County -V- ICT

Scotty

Adams should fine Brittain and Vigurs for their elongated celebrations in front of the Caley fans when they went 3-2 up. He was so exhilarated that he did not see this on the day but his DVD will show these two players cost them the result on the day. Fair play to the referee that he added on time which by good fortune allowed us to charge up the other end and silence the home supporters. It reminded me of when Barry Robson scored a stunner against Kilmarnock with a minute to go and we went and celebrated while Gus MacPherson charged up the other end, crossed, and they gained a final kick equaliser.

Technically Tokely could have been sent off for holding Richie's hand and directing his nose into the firing line and potentially stopping a clear goal scoring opportunity. Clear hand holding by Rossco.

Edited by CELTIC1CALEY3
  • Agree 1

What an incredible game. The whole day was brilliant and I am still buzzing from it. I can imagine County fans will be feeling sick about losing such a late goal but there is very much a "never say die" attitude about this ICT team again. We have ground out results and fought back when previously we would just crumble and let the opposition run riot (Motherwell excepted of course!)

Great pre match banter on the train with ICT and Staggies fans mixing and engaging in some harmless banter. This seemed to run over into the Mallard with a good chorus of songs being belted at the opposition fans from either side of the pub. Quite a squash in that new stand but it seemed to generate a fantastic atmosphere throughout the game. I didn't really hear much from the Jailend but you can definitely hear the supporters on the TV so hopefully the atmosphere came across well.

I thought the first half was largely poor, lit up by that incredible strike from McKay. Very poor defending from a County point of view but take nothing away from the finish which was top class and will only serve to draw more attention to the lad with a number of clubs supposedly interested.

County did have an effort scrambled off the line it looked like which led to a rapid ICT counter attack with McKay unable to force the ball home. Having watched the highlights again I didn't realise what a disgusting challenge Tokely had put in on Doran as he was about to shot. Disgraceful lunge onto his ankle. Always thought he was a thug...

You could see that, when County emerged at the start of the second half, they had had a rocket up their backsides from Adams. They were all over ICT with some really direct and aggressive play. We were struggling to contain them and what a fantastic strike from Quinn to level things up. As soon as the ball left his foot you could see it was going in. A fantastic strike.

I dashed off for a whizz so I missed the Foran goal but having seen it on TV he was offside but was also being pulled all over the place by Tokely. Had he not been getting held by the fouling mutant then he might have been able to get out of the way. Adams seems to miss this when talking about the goal for some reason. Definitely a stroke of luck for ICT all the same.

Definite stroke of luck for County with Vigurs goal. Horrendous deflection off Raven that sent it looping over Reguero and into the net. Vigurs with the classic GIRUY celebration which riled some of the ICT fans but I must admit I would do the exact same if I was a player and I love it when our guys do it to wind up the opposition.

Awful defending for what everyone thought was the winner. Blatant cheating by Vigurs to win the free kick but again ICT didn't cover themselves in glory defensively. We had a great angle behind the goal to see the ball being whipped in and it didn't look like the wall was properly set up at any point by Reguero and we should really have had a man on the back post for balls that come in as this one did. Cue mad scenes from the home fans as they thought they had won it only for Tudor Jones to rattle in a 40 yard effort (Rankin squiggler anyone?) that had Brown completely bamboozled. From the corner someone scored. Maybe Foran, maybe Roberts. Who knows but the away end exploded as if we had won the Cup! Great to see, as The Scarf says, a few of our players rub Vigurs face in it after his premature celebrations earlier. Ever funnier was Adams at the final whistle and he resultant gurn in the post match interview :lol: The man is clearly a very spoilt little child who is an awfully sore loser (or in this case, drawer). The guy moans about the timing of the ICT third goal but seems oblivious to the fact that if, as he claims, there was only 92 minutes to be played, then County wouldn't have had time to score their third goal.

All in all I thought the game was low on quality for the most part but off the charts in terms of entertainment and drama. I can't see there being another Derby game like that with as much entertainment. Others have already made comparisons to other 3 - 3 games with late goals in Inverness. I mind Wyness grabbing a couple of late strikes to salvage a draw and there was also one where County were 3 - 0 down (I think). This game possibly goes ahead of both of them such were the lateness of some of the strikes that saw one team snatch victory from the jaws of defeat only to get pegged back again and draw the game.

After the match there was some great banter in the pub and all the County fans we met were great sports over the result. I can barely remember the train back to Inverness and I was feeling slightly tender this morning when I woke up. Looking forward to seeing the photos on CaleyJags.com whenever they go up.

Sadly there's no way I can get to the replay due to work commitments so I am hoping that the match is on TV. After the first 93 minutes (not 92 Derek!) the BBC or Sky would be stupid not to look at screening this match.

• Agree 9

Well that was some game end to end stuff in the last 20 minutes. Thought we started the game well was mainly us in charge of the first half. Kept calm and worked away at countys defence. Thought McKay played his heart out once again running for every ball and his goal just WOW :clapping:  PURE CLASS. Wasn't too sure about A.Shinnie playing out wide with Foran in the middle playing behind the striker. Thought Shinnie couldn't really get involed in the game like he normally does. Draper and OTJ holding the centre fine throughout the game. Raven had his spells i thought. Alot of countys attack where coming from down the wings. Just watched the highlights again like Davie said how can Foran be offside if tokely is all over him. You can clearly see in the highlights he is pulling Forans arm. Thought the fans were amazing yesterday :clapping: :clapping:  Once again out sang those dirty tinks at the other end.

• 12 Reguero 10/10
  • 02 Raven 8/10
  • 03 Shinnie 8/10
  • 05 Warren 9/10
  • 14 Meekings 8/10
  • 04 Tudur-Jones 10/10
  • 08 Draper 10/10
  • 10 Shinnie 8/10
  • 07 McKay 10/10
  • 09 Foran  10/10
  • 17 Doran 9/10

My ratings for the match

Edited by WYNESS101

I was thinking after the game, which County players would get into the current ICT side.  It was pretty clear from early on which side was challenging from the title and which one was down near the relegation zone.  By my reckoning, Richard Brittain would get in and despite Raven's improved performances over the last couple of months, I think Kovacevic would get in ahead of him.  Iain Vigurs skills-wise would be challenging for a place, but with his attitude he's probably more trouble than he's worth (hence the reason why Butcher punted him in the first place).  Scot Boyd (despite my previous feelings that he was one of County's better players), on yesterdays showing would not get in ahead of Meekings and certainly not ahead of Warren.  The likes of Mark Brown, Gary Glen et all, would be nowhere near the ICT starting line-up.  

I think if County were to lose Brittain, they'd be in big trouble (hopefully he [and Kovacevic!], will be heading to the nicer side of the bridge in January :wink: ).

PS - Despite, what some were saying at the time, I thought in October, Tokely overall had a decent game at full back.  Not yesterday though, I thought he was rotten!

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

Great minds think alike Rene..... I was thinking much the same myself. Had to laugh after the first derby when some cretins over the bridge said they wouldn't have any of our players. Probably the same ones who are now seriously suggesting the ref and linesman yesterday were cheating!

Brittain would strengthen our squad definitely but if he actually got in the team who would you drop?

Would have to disagree with Kovacevic, thought he looked a donkey throughout and his only highlight was his contribution for the equaliser, sorry guys but just another brute bred for the SPL. Brittain however, did we not court him a couple of years ago?

Edited by Donview

Been watching the match again on BBC. Vincent Lunnie should take a look at Vigurs' antics at gaining the foul from Raven.

Raven fouls him early on but he plays on because there's a chance of getting to the bye line. Then when there's no contact he throws himself down.

• Agree 4

What an incredible game. The whole day was brilliant and I am still buzzing from it. I can imagine County fans will be feeling sick about losing such a late goal but there is very much a "never say die" attitude about this ICT team again. We have ground out results and fought back when previously we would just crumble and let the opposition run riot (Motherwell excepted of course!)

Great pre match banter on the train with ICT and Staggies fans mixing and engaging in some harmless banter. This seemed to run over into the Mallard with a good chorus of songs being belted at the opposition fans from either side of the pub. Quite a squash in that new stand but it seemed to generate a fantastic atmosphere throughout the game. I didn't really hear much from the Jailend but you can definitely hear the supporters on the TV so hopefully the atmosphere came across well.

I thought the first half was largely poor, lit up by that incredible strike from McKay. Very poor defending from a County point of view but take nothing away from the finish which was top class and will only serve to draw more attention to the lad with a number of clubs supposedly interested.

County did have an effort scrambled off the line it looked like which led to a rapid ICT counter attack with McKay unable to force the ball home. Having watched the highlights again I didn't realise what a disgusting challenge Tokely had put in on Doran as he was about to shot. Disgraceful lunge onto his ankle. Always thought he was a thug...

You could see that, when County emerged at the start of the second half, they had had a rocket up their backsides from Adams. They were all over ICT with some really direct and aggressive play. We were struggling to contain them and what a fantastic strike from Quinn to level things up. As soon as the ball left his foot you could see it was going in. A fantastic strike.

I dashed off for a whizz so I missed the Foran goal but having seen it on TV he was offside but was also being pulled all over the place by Tokely. Had he not been getting held by the fouling mutant then he might have been able to get out of the way. Adams seems to miss this when talking about the goal for some reason. Definitely a stroke of luck for ICT all the same.

Definite stroke of luck for County with Vigurs goal. Horrendous deflection off Raven that sent it looping over Reguero and into the net. Vigurs with the classic GIRUY celebration which riled some of the ICT fans but I must admit I would do the exact same if I was a player and I love it when our guys do it to wind up the opposition.

Awful defending for what everyone thought was the winner. Blatant cheating by Vigurs to win the free kick but again ICT didn't cover themselves in glory defensively. We had a great angle behind the goal to see the ball being whipped in and it didn't look like the wall was properly set up at any point by Reguero and we should really have had a man on the back post for balls that come in as this one did. Cue mad scenes from the home fans as they thought they had won it only for Tudor Jones to rattle in a 40 yard effort (Rankin squiggler anyone?) that had Brown completely bamboozled. From the corner someone scored. Maybe Foran, maybe Roberts. Who knows but the away end exploded as if we had won the Cup! Great to see, as The Scarf says, a few of our players rub Vigurs face in it after his premature celebrations earlier. Ever funnier was Adams at the final whistle and he resultant gurn in the post match interview :lol: The man is clearly a very spoilt little child who is an awfully sore loser (or in this case, drawer). The guy moans about the timing of the ICT third goal but seems oblivious to the fact that if, as he claims, there was only 92 minutes to be played, then County wouldn't have had time to score their third goal.

All in all I thought the game was low on quality for the most part but off the charts in terms of entertainment and drama. I can't see there being another Derby game like that with as much entertainment. Others have already made comparisons to other 3 - 3 games with late goals in Inverness. I mind Wyness grabbing a couple of late strikes to salvage a draw and there was also one where County were 3 - 0 down (I think). This game possibly goes ahead of both of them such were the lateness of some of the strikes that saw one team snatch victory from the jaws of defeat only to get pegged back again and draw the game.

After the match there was some great banter in the pub and all the County fans we met were great sports over the result. I can barely remember the train back to Inverness and I was feeling slightly tender this morning when I woke up. Looking forward to seeing the photos on CaleyJags.com whenever they go up.

Sadly there's no way I can get to the replay due to work commitments so I am hoping that the match is on TV. After the first 93 minutes (not 92 Derek!) the BBC or Sky would be stupid not to look at screening this match.

excellent report. :clapoverhead:

i also thought the game was low on quality, apart from 2 superb finishes, i was bored for 30 minutes. not helped by what looked like a bumpy pitch. the size of the pitch did not help us either as some players needed a couple of touches to control the ball allowing county in our faces.

was looking forward to my first visit to the new stadium. what a let down.

i was on holiday when tickets went on sale and got someone to buy for me. believe we were selling the tickets from back to front in sections and would not allow anyone to to get the next section until all were sold.

whats the point of having priority for shareholders / season ticket holders if you go at a time when all you can get is row A.

come on ict sell side to side next time, starting from the back.

i shelled out £50 for 3 tickets and was in row F directly in line with the right side 18 yard line

when all was sitting down with straight backs as you would sit in church ( went a couple of times years ago) i could only see as far as the left hand goalpost. every time something happened people would move forward and this created a domino affect so when when mackay was put through and rounds the keeper that was it for me could not see a thing.

the stand is too close to the park from where i was sitting so would be interested to know how others saw the game and where they were sitting.

certainly not shelling out again to go to dingwall to have a restricted view so looks like only home derby games for me from now on.

bonus at the end though when the left over sausage rolls, pies were been handed out for free. excellent haggis pie yum yum. always tastes better when you dont pay

That game will not be forgotten! As we left the Lego stadium it felt like we had won. A real roller coaster of emotions and great to have the final laugh on the day.

Great atmosphere in the National and Mallard as well. The Highland Derby is starting to become a big part of Scottish football now.

Just read Derek Adans "In my View" report in the P & J.

This man needs either a ghost writer or an english O grade.  It sounds like a primary six pupil writing What I did on my holiday type story.

The only bit that`s missing is him saying that it was a big boy what did it and ran away.

Juvenile does not cover this piece of literary genius!

The most pulsating crap game ive ever been too. It took me till last night to get off Cloud 9.

Was difficult to try and play our fluent football in such an enclosed environment but we made the most of it and were deservedly ahead through Billy, delighted for the wee man, capped off a fine week for himself with his best goal for the club so far. His stock is fast rising.

We were slow to start the 2nd half, Kovacevic was given too much time to tee up Quinn to score a superb effort. With it being game on it seemed to get more cagey with both teams cancelling each other out and County's anti football approach from the back didnt help. How many times did Boyd belt the ball straight out for a throw in? Must be a record of some sort.

At 2-1 i thought we needed another to kill it off, but there was nothing Reguero could do about Vigurs strike, took a wicked deflection and he had the sun in his eyes all game. Cant abide Vigurs attitude. His celebration said it all about his character, no wonder Tel got shot of him.

At 3-2 i thought it was over, as did everyone im sure. Was a very soft free kick to give and yet again Reguero was helpless to defend it.

The added over added time was sufficient though. For the free kick and the celebration. Unlucky from Owain. Was a sublime strike that Brown obviously didnt expect. Made the most of the corner and County's lack of skills from set pieces was exposed again. Foran did brilliant to hit on the turn and while falling. Must admit i thought he had missed for a second, but as he wheeled away celebrating it was just sheer joy and relief in that away end, never experienced that before.

It was a rollercoaster ride of a game but yet again we stop ourselves from losing, there is a burning desire to do well in this team. Cant wait for the replay. Oh and the reactions of Vigurs, Rosscoe and most of all Adams? Absolutely priceless.

The one thing about this season that seems different to previous ones is that in most games we have an attitude where we just dont seem to give up. When we do give up we get royally rogered! (see Motherwell games), but when we try for the full 90 (+ stoppage time) and have the belief that its never over until its over, we seem to be able to claw things back that would previously have been unclawable.

The only team I can remember having done that before, and over a full season, is Celtic in their centenary season in 1988. The number of goals they scored in the final 5 minutes or in injury time was regarded as incredible at the time and was put down to a number of things, not least the personality of Roy Aitken urging on his team-mates from the back.

What is the secret of this attitude with ICT this season ? Is it Butcher? Is it Foran? or is it someone else urging the team on to victory (or to salvaging a point or replays etc) ?     

The one thing about this season that seems different to previous ones is that in most games we have an attitude where we just dont seem to give up. When we do give up we get royally rogered! (see Motherwell games), but when we try for the full 90 (+ stoppage time) and have the belief that its never over until its over, we seem to be able to claw things back that would previously have been unclawable.

The only team I can remember having done that before, and over a full season, is Celtic in their centenary season in 1988. The number of goals they scored in the final 5 minutes or in injury time was regarded as incredible at the time and was put down to a number of things, not least the personality of Roy Aitken urging on his team-mates from the back.

What is the secret of this attitude with ICT this season ? Is it Butcher? Is it Foran? or is it someone else urging the team on to victory (or to salvaging a point or replays etc) ?     

I don't think we did give up in the Motherwell game.  The effort was there from the whole team, they just couldn't pull it together..

The attitude comes from the fact that, IMO, this is the closest knit squad we have ever had and every player is out there battling for themselves and everyone else.  Terry has a squad that he has built himself and he hadn't allowed (and been happy to get rid of) anyone that doesn't fit in, pull their weight or play their part.

You can actually see a visible change in Butcher as well....he's lost a lot of his "Mr Angry" side.  Any rants this season have been born from frustration....but most of the time is spent trying to peel him off the ceiling for good reasons.

Davie Balfour talks about it a bit in the MFR Fanzone Podcast from last week....he's of the belief that this is a team that has gelled earlier and quicker than many (including Butcher) expected, and... scarily... we've yet to see the best of them.  I think he's right.

• Agree 3

Going my one poster on Over The Bridge (don't post, just occasionally read it for general giggles!), Graeme Shinnie was spat at by someone in the Jail End.  

Ross County proving once again that they have no character, no class and certainly no chance.  :cool:

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

One small unforgotten hero in all this was Meekings who nodded the ball down to Foran for the equaliser.

I'll plug the podcast as well here! It's been really unfortunate for Simon King, but him being injured has given Josh Meekings a real shot at a partnership with Gary Warren and he has delivered. I also think he's learned more off Warren in three months that either Munro or Tokely could have taught him in three years. People also forget - he's only 20! When he matures, he could be a defensive rock at this (or any other) club for years. He's already proved beyond doubt that ipswich were mad to let him go, and I wonder what else he's got to prove?

• Agree 1