Jan Transfers

Rival

chris humphrey to celtic? i heard motherwell knocked back a couple offers for him not so long ago (was it last january?) but think they need the dosh now, so could possibly see that one re emerge as a possible target for septic.
same could go for jamie murphy if another offer comes in for him could see him leaving.

other usual candidates names will be banded about. gms, jonny russell, etc seems ryan frasers rejected a contract at aberdeen they could possibly try to offload him now, and hearts will probably lose a bulk of players, webster, zaliukas, and anyone with any promise they have will be offloaded for some wonga.

coming in? errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr not a clue. claude gnakpa to county maybe. :banana:

Dom Dwyer (22), from Sporting Kansas City in MLS is on trial with St Mirren right now.

Very much a reserve squad player for Kansas. TFC played Kansas 3 times this season and he made the bench in one game. He came on in the 86th minute so his total MLS playing career is 4 minutes !

Basically our bench is a bit weak, only two outfield players of any use. Sutherland and Morrison , otherwise I would get a game

If we could sign  any useful guys for the bench it would be a start

Perhaps keeping the squad the way it is may do us a favour. This is clearly a close knit bunch and I like the thought of having these young lads on the bench who can come in and do a job. One or two additions maybe but they'd be nothing more than cover. Hogg will hopefully come back and be like a new signing, same for Simon king, but we've got some lads showing great promise brislan hall seems to be one of those crowd pleasers I.e a jonny Hayes type player, on the left wing. Mathew cooper didnt look out of place in pre season with the first team, and players like Laing, and Oswell are playing regularly. Oswell seems to be scoring to. His all round game probably need improving but could be a gem.

Happy with our squad right now .... the issue in January is to keep it together not to change it !

The 11 on the park are doing the business and if King/Hogg/Ross can get back to fitness then with the aforementioned Sutherland and Morrison along with Roberts and either Reguero/Esson we have a pretty decent bench too, and even a few youngsters who it has been noted wouldn't look out of place if they had to be called on. If we are light anywhere, you could argue it would be up front with cover for Billy McKay but there are options within the squad.

I sat in on a Toronto FC "town hall" meeting with fans the other week and was interested in something that manager Paul Mariner - a former teammate and roommate of our Terry's - had to say. TFC have gone through the last six seasons using 136 players in total (by comparison ICT have fielded 199 in 18 seasons) and after a dreadful season that saw Aron Winter sacked after winning just 1 game in 10 in the league, and Mariner taking over, PM's biggest hope for the 2013 season is to be consistent and win more games than 2012 (not difficult!!). One of the cornerstones of this ambition is to go through next season using only the top 15 or 16 players of his squad (of 30) and not to have the revolving player entrance/exit door that has been there for the last 6 years. He wants a season where he has a clear starting 11, and barring major problems just rotates 4 or 5 other players in/out as required as cover for injuries, suspensions or drops in form. He believes that if TFC have that mentality, and players know their roles, he can build a team over several seasons and make it into a year-in-year-out contender.   

I see what Terry is doing as essentially the same. One way or another, he has assembled a squad that seems to have gelled extremely well, probably better than we could all have hoped for. That squad is working hard for each other, scoring goals and having fun and its pretty much the same squad week in and week out - we have used 19 players all season with only 11 having appearances in double figures. Judging by Twitter/Facebook etc, they get on well both on and off the park and despite comments last season or the season before about losing our "Highland identity" and the togetherness that came with it, we do seem to have that same spirit about the current squad ....

I've been very impressed with Brislen-Hall in the U20 games I've seen, but his contracts up very soon (he only signed a six month deal) and hasn't seemed to be even making the bench lately for some reason.  I too was impressed with Cooper and Oswell in the pre-season games, though not so much in the U20 games.  Both are only young mind, but I can't see either of them breaking into the first team squad on their own merits alone this season.

• 4 weeks later...