Merger Talk

TheCaleyjags123

I will sign off as I'm accused of being infantile  - To say one last and final point

About attendances at football matches

They have dropped throughout all leagues

eg.

In 1971 or so Bury played Bolton at Gigg Lane and 35,000 souls turned up

Rochdale entertained Bury in a 3rd Div North match and had about 19'000 there

so to compare historical attendances with modern day crowds is pointless

Thank you - the defence rests

Ach some folks have too much time on their hands

Boer - boar - bore. Simply off topic and infantile.

If the cap fits...

I can't win - I attempt to be serious but I am abused and derided

Ach some folks have too much time on their hands

There are some issues that need to be stoutly defended.

I'm usually happy on the infrequent occasion my d gets rided.

As I have said previously I had no real affiliation to any of the Highland League sides and was happy to see any Inverness side do well. I did however enjoy standing in the Howden End watching and listening to the real characters in there. Those type of fans are sadly lacking now, whether that is the sign of the times or to do with the merger I am not sure but i do think Inverness football is a poorer thing without them.

Think that is a sign of the times to be honest. Most of the fun has been legislated out of football with rules about stadia, seating, standing, chanting, and yes alcohol. For me, growing up, football was a release at the end of the week. I could have a few beers, let off steam, hurl some insults at the opposition and generally enjoy myself. Yes some people overdid it and got in trouble, but for most I would say it was like this. Nowadays that good natured and perhaps slightly drunken behaviour would get me ejected from the ground or even lifted !!! Maybe its good I am a Toronto season ticket holder .... this behaviour is encouraged !!!! 

I well remember local Inverness derbies attracting well over our average gate of 3500 in the 60s and 70s but these days had long gone at the time of the merger.

Just as Scotland once attracted 100,000 to Hampden or the Maracana had just shy of 200,000 for the 1950 World Cup Final !!! Football is a different beast now in terms of cost and other options available for leisure and comparisons to the 60s, 70s or 80s even are like comparing apples and oranges.

I dont doubt IHE in the slightest or for that matter CB, they are different sides of the argument. I know quite a few folk who wont even say the name of ICT, but equally, I know others who never followed either .... its the past, we should never forget the history, and in many respects our generation of ICT supporters are both the pioneers and the 'lost' generation. Pioneers for following the new club but lost in a flurry of emotions or opinions about past and present allegiances (including other 'big' teams when Caley or Thistle were in the HFL). 

The generations that follow us will hopefully not have so much baggage !

• Agree 2

As I have said previously I had no real affiliation to any of the Highland League sides and was happy to see any Inverness side do well. I did however enjoy standing in the Howden End watching and listening to the real characters in there. Those type of fans are sadly lacking now, whether that is the sign of the times or to do with the merger I am not sure but i do think Inverness football is a poorer thing without them.

Think that is a sign of the times to be honest. Most of the fun has been legislated out of football with rules about stadia, seating, standing, chanting, and yes alcohol. For me, growing up, football was a release at the end of the week. I could have a few beers, let off steam, hurl some insults at the opposition and generally enjoy myself. Yes some people overdid it and got in trouble, but for most I would say it was like this. Nowadays that good natured and perhaps slightly drunken behaviour would get me ejected from the ground or even lifted !!! Maybe its good I am a Toronto season ticket holder .... this behaviour is encouraged !!!! 

Yes I am sure the lack of alcohol has seen the decline in these type of characters at the matches, and probably led to a decline in attendances as well.

Good on Toronto, do you see any trouble/incidents as a result of this Scotty?

Perhaps I should move to Toronto as I am afraid that good natured and slightly drunken behaviour can easily get you ejected from ICT games. I understand that you need to be sitting on a fence but the wording of your post is appreciated and reading between the lines clearly pronounces that Atom Ant and the rest of the Disney Corporation are sitting in The Director Boxes of reality whereas the true football fans, refuseniks or not, still stand on terraces like the Howden End.

Perhaps I should move to Toronto as I am afraid that good natured and slightly drunken behaviour can easily get you ejected from ICT games. I understand that you need to be sitting on a fence but the wording of your post is appreciated and reading between the lines clearly pronounces that Atom Ant and the rest of the Disney Corporation are sitting in The Director Boxes of reality whereas the true football fans, refuseniks or not, still stand on terraces like the Howden End.

As I'm sure you're aware ;) you can get flung out at any ground for being drunk. At our last away game at Septic park an ICT fan was removed for being drunk (and he was pretty drunk) but he was just sitting up the back saying or doing nothing. To be fair the Sarge was apologetic (the steward was more of a fa##y) but said the control room right next to us had noticed him and wanted him out.

In all honesty I'm not too bothered about having a drink at home games as I'll be taking my daughter. Away games on the other hand...

I'm getting a wee bit off topic here anyways.

I'm often there at the CJT desk, a beer or two is sometimes had if I'm not driving. Just not something that's a big deal to me now for home games. Unless I'm in hospitality of course where the complimentary bar is fully exploited!

Why not try out the clubs pub before Ko.

If the beer was on tap I'd maybe spend more time there but guinness out of a can just isnt the same.

Why dont you take that up with the club Alex,  I wouldnt mind a nice cool freshly poured pint myself  before KO, now that would be ace.   Next you will be wanting one of the bands from the likes of Mad Hatters to play there to make it more appealing to youngsters, Lol.

Im not sure if even the old Highland league clubs had that. :tongueincheek:

If the beer was on tap I'd maybe spend more time there but guinness out of a can just isnt the same.

Why dont you take that up with the club Alex,  I wouldnt mind a nice cool freshly poured pint myself  before KO, now that would be ace.   Next you will be wanting one of the bands from the likes of Mad Hatters to play there to make it more appealing to youngsters, Lol.

Think the reason for no tap beer is that it wouldn't be cost effective considering the bar is only used for a short while prematch.

If the beer was on tap I'd maybe spend more time there but guinness out of a can just isnt the same. Why dont you take that up with the club Alex,  I wouldnt mind a nice cool freshly poured pint myself  before KO, now that would be ace.   Next you will be wanting one of the bands from the likes of Mad Hatters to play there to make it more appealing to youngsters, Lol.

Think the reason for no tap beer is that it wouldn't be cost effective considering the bar is only used for a short while prematch.

Ask them anyway.

What was the name of the beer tent that used to be at Falkirk - I knew that I would eventually come up with a post merger positive.

Behind the Wall?.............................................No it was the Budvar Tent. They applied to have a tent behind the south stand at Westfield but council turned them down.

Now that is summat that has got to be considered. Buy the marquee though this forum - then find a local pub to provide the beer - price it a bit higher than the norm - do a raffle - and get Subway to have a wee "shop" inside as well - again a bit higher than norm. Get the courier to hire out their grass area or close by.

Now that is summat that has got to be considered. Buy the marquee though this forum - then find a local pub to provide the beer - price it a bit higher than the norm - do a raffle - and get Subway to have a wee "shop" inside as well - again a bit higher than norm. Get the courier to hire out their grass area or close by.

Not a bad idea, even having a grass area instead of a smoking area may even bring back some of the stay aways.

Not a bad idea, even having a grass area instead of a smoking area may even bring back some of the stay aways.

Indeed, though a grass smoking area may not increase the volume of support it might increase food and snack sales.

Indeed, though a grass smoking area may not increase the volume of support it might increase food and snack sales.

but would we care about the footy??  :rasta:

• Agree 1

If the club didn't have a bar I would say you were on to something, we would need a fire resistant tent, permission from the council and a trading license, all a bit pricey. how about trying to utilise the existing bar a bit more frequently.

• Agree 2

In my opinion the merger reminds me of ethnic cleansing. Without a shadow of doubt in my eyes anyway there was a deliberate process put in place to rid the old guard and install the new

ICT have created a prawn sandwich support and only the youth coming through now can change that but it will take time, the club is still only 20years old

Ok stadium location doesn't help but the atmosphere at the dump is up there with the worst in Scotland

I fail to see how putting beer on tap is the answer but it might get some of these clowns to burst into song or chant so all suggestions are welcome

Dougal

• Agree 1

In my opinion the merger reminds me of ethnic cleansing. Without a shadow of doubt in my eyes anyway there was a deliberate process put in place to rid the old guard and install the new

ICT have created a prawn sandwich support and only the youth coming through now can change that but it will take time, the club is still only 20years old

Ok stadium location doesn't help but the atmosphere at the dump is up there with the worst in Scotland

I fail to see how putting beer on tap is the answer but it might get some of these clowns to burst into song or chant so all suggestions are welcome

Dougal

post-6530-0-25490600-1405682589.png