Scotty

no crowd figure on any of the reporting sites like BBC/ESPN (yet) - anyone know what it was ?

just been posted - 3506

Edited by Scotty
: answering my own question !

st mirren were very dangerous all day, young maclean, mcginn, and mcgowan, all were problems, id say their in a false position right now, with mcgowan coming back from injury i can see them pushing up the league now.

but we limited them to two shots on target, and we had 7 ourselves, mckay got a couple chance an dragged them wide, and foran had an off day, lacked a first touch, and didnt win every header for once, but still got the equaliser from dorans fantastic volley, so well let him off.

andy shinnie was top notch again, a cracking strike, we went 1-0 down and i said to ajs dont worry, shinnie always scores against st mirren (whenever i watch us play them anyway) i was correct, i also said at 1-1 thompson will score for them, im fecking psycic.

anyway a draws a decent result. go down to perth on saturday, and hope we can put one over on tade and co. then onto the derby before the january break. were still second. hopefully dundee can do us a favour tonight in our push for the treble :lol:

there was also a good attendence today, the wings of the mainstand and the last 2 sections of the bridge side end of the north stand were pretty empty but the rest was close to full, there was something of an atmosphere aswell.

Edited by lukemackay
  • Agree 1

A cracking game for the neutral.  Heart attack-inducing stuff for the supporters.  Both teams seemed to just give up on the idea of defending, and the last 15 minutes saw each team taking a turn to attack the other.  Whilst we had our share of chances, St. Mirren had two goals disallowed for offside and hit the bar and post late on.  On the other hand, Craig Samson made some ridiculous saves at the other end, particularly one from a Doran header in the first half.

Andrew Shinnie was absolutely awesome today, constantly finding space and driving forward.  His goal was the latest in a line of very good goals we've scored at TCS this season, and might even be the best.  I thought Draper had a really good game today too.  The front players, as ever, looked very dangerous today.

At the back, young Cooper looked a bit shellshocked at times.  In the first half McGowan was beating him to every loose ball.  The youngster got better in the second half and there's no doubt Warren was guiding him through the game.  Not for the first time this season, Graeme Shinnie struggled when left isolated against a winger - Gary Teale appeared to be beating him at will.  I don't know what was going on for their second goal - Teale given too much time and space to cross, and Stephen Thompson given the freedom of the six yard box to head home.

We might not have got the three points, but it's still thrill-a-minute stuff so no arguments from me.

• Agree 1

This is the 3rd Boxing Day game against ST Midden for me ( 0-0, 1-1 and now 2-2) So my hoodoo continues. Great game though. Felt we were a tad lucky to get the draw what with Saints 2 disallowed goals and twice hitting the woodwork. Andy Shinney was in top form as was his Bro.

Good atmosphere at times and wanted to smack that tw*t Imrie after his mouthing off and hand gestures at supporters in the main stand.

Brilliant game, best of the season for me. Would've been harsh on either side to lose. Both teams looked dangerous going forward and it could easily have ended up 5-5. We certainly had more of the chances, but poor finishing combined with some outstanding saves from Samson kept us at bay. In saying that they could've scored a couple in the space of 2 minutes at the end!

A.Shinnie was absolutely immense, really driving forward at pace all game and his goal was a cracker. Unfortunately I've noticed several times this season how his brother, as good as he is going forward, tends to lose his man defensively all to often. Teams seem to be targeting him now as there always seems to be acres of space on his side of the defence. Agree that the young lad Cooper looked a bit lost at the start but he grew into the game as it went on.

Not too disappointed at dropping points as it really was end to end stuff all game. That's still only 3 defeats all season and hopefully we'll be back to winning ways in the next two games.

• Agree 1

A belter of a game, which could have gone either way, although in the end St Midden will feel that they let it slip through their fingers, hitting the woodwork twice, and a needless touch on a goalbound shot, which rendered it offside. Great to see a side away from home going for it, instead of sitting back and defending a draw, even if it left a few people with heart palpitations. It meant an almost cup tie thriller, end to end with both sides convinced they could win. Teal and A Shinnie were the two stars for either side, with their goalie Sanson making some extraordinary saves combing luck and skill in equal measure. Teal roasted G Shinnie alive all game, Midden feeding at him every opportunity to scamper down the game and supply a variety of dangerous crosses, one of which supplied their second goal. Shinnie will have nightmares about this lad who looked invaluable, Terry doing nothing to give Shinnie a bit of the help that he needed. Cooper had testing introduction - he lost the ball easily straightaway which led to their first goal. Whether his inexperience contributed to the way Midden were uncomfortably slicing through our defence I am not sure, as they were at the far end from us in the second half. But I will be very glad to get Meekings back. A Shinnie was outstanding, and was very unlucky not to score an amazing goal, as he wriggled free from the bye-line, beating several Midden defenders and cracking a powerful shot which Sanson got in the way of, rather than saved. BBC stats - Midden 55% possession to our 45%, which for me tells the tale of how well organised they were, but our 7 shots on target to their 2 also tells of how dangerous we are when we attack, and how unlucky we were not to score a third. But in the end, a great match, and a draw a fair result. Top entertainment.

Edited by The Long Man

Very enjoyable game, credit to both teams for the football on display at this time of year.  A Shinnie getting back to his best, created lots of opportunities, felt his brother was isolated a lot throughout the game and Midden took advantage down that wing.

Raven had another good game and saved us at the back quite a few times.  Young Cooper was a bit caught in the headlights and distribution poor at times.

Roll on the 2nd feeling confident, might just have another mince pie, noom, noom

A good, open game of football. Carbon copy of when we played them on the opening day...minus the injury time equalizer. Both teams had some great moments. Woodwork smacked, Gloves tested and both will feel they could have won the game. 

St Mirren looked excellent. In the likes of McGowan and McLean they have some real industry as well as pace and given the way they looked today i wouldnt be surprised to see them climb the table soon enough. They also have Samson in goals who despite his flapping for Foran's goal looks a decent keeper. 

In ourselves however we had the likes of Andy Shinnie, Billy McKay and Foran all putting in their usual shift up top. Thought OTJ was colossal in midfield today as well. Worked his socks off and was unlucky not to bag another goal for himself. Cooper gave a solid display as well. Not an easy game for a young lad to jump straight into but he made some good tackles and held his own throughout the 90 minutes.

Given we fell behind twice i was happy with a point but we created enough chances to win the game, so too did St Mirren so point is definitely fair and at the end of the day no ground is really lost and our good form remains intact. 

Only thing that disappointed me about today was Willie Collum. Thought his performance today was dreadful. Some blatant fouls were missed as well as some dirty tackles that went unpunished. 

• Agree 1

Have to agree with everything said so far. St Mirren were a joy to watch, as were we. Yes, we had some interesting moments at the back, but that was more through St Mirren's guts, effort and imagination than any great failing on our part. I suppose we could have tried to do something to shore up the left side of defence but hey, what the heck. You've got to give credit to Saints for coming up and having a go despite their (false) league position. Can't understand why they didn't give Celtic more of a game the other week. Even midway through the first half I was thinking to myself that a point might not be a bad result. It would have been a travesty if either team had got nothing.

No doubt that Cooper was caught in the headlights a bit early on - looked nervous in posession but grew in to the game. A Shinnie - well what else can you say. Immense throughout, and OTJ looked as if he was going to cause mischief every time he got the ball. Doran kept threatening to do something inspirational but didn't quite get there. I can see the time coming where he completely rips someone apart. 

If this doesn't bring the crowds in, nothing will. Robertson was saying on BBC Scotland that he couldn't think how they were going to fit all the highlights in to the 5-or-whatever minutes on Scotsport tomorrow night. Bring on Saturday.

• Agree 1

There seemed to be some protective force field around Samsons 6 yard box in the 2nd half, it was only when Foran stuck his head thru it to get his head

to the ball for the equaliser was it breached !   Again another game well worth going to see & a good game to introduce new young blood in Cooper who came on to

his game & did very well

• Agree 1

Smashing game of football today. Disappointed that we dropped two points but by the end of the game a draw was definitely a fair result. Both teams played some great stuff and there was some fantastic performances from the likes of Andrew Shinnie for Inverness and Teale for St Mirren who turned Graeme Shinnie inside, out and inside again throughout the game.

ICT lined up with the familiar 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 formation with Matthew Cooper coming in for Josh Meekings. St. Mirren looked like they were set up as a 4 - 5 - 1 with Steven Thompson the lone forward with support from McGowan in behind him.

After what seemed to be only a few seconds Imrie got the ball on the ICT and moved towards goal before taking an opportunistic shot that seemed to catch Reguero off guard and found its way into the net to put the Buddies one up. After this goal ICT started to dominate in terms of ball retention without actually threatening Samson in goal. Saint Mirren defended deeply and were easily blocking the ICT route to goal. Tudur Jones, after long range efforts against Hearts and Dundee, found himself with a bit of space at the edge of the box and rifled in a shot which drifted wide of goal. Foran then had a header saved by Samson before McGowan thundered in a free kick which cracked off the cross bar with Reguero beaten.

Andrew Shinnie was denied a shot at goal following a last ditch tackle by Mair I think it was and then Samson then pulled off a wonderful save down to his right as he pushed a header from Aaron Doran round the post. Andrew Shinnie grabbed the equaliser for ICT after he gathered the ball on the ICT left and drifted infield. He glided past two men just outside the area and struck his shot fiercely into the top right corner with Samson only able to watch the ball fly past him. Gary Teale was having a fantastic battle with Graeme Shinnie on the ICT left and was regularly beating his marker and it was from one of his crosses that Steven Thompson was picked out but hew fired high over the bar with a very uncomposed effort. McKay, going for a goal in his 8th consecutive game, connected well with a cross from the right but his volleyed effort was just wide of the goal.

St. Mirren started the second half quickly and Imrie scurried to the byline before fizzing a cross all the way across the box but no one was on hand to tap it in. After that ICT started to turn the screw and passed up a great chance after some good work from Andrew Shinnie led to a half chance to McKay who opted to shoot instead of play in Foran who had a clear run at goal. McKays shot was weak and trundled wide of goal.

Thompson headed St. Mirren back into the lead after more good work from Teale on the right and his cross was bulleted home by Thompson from around 8 yards out. By this point the game had swung back and St. Mirren were dominating proceedings as ICT struggled to get a foothold and resorted to some aimless punts forward as they abandoned some of the nice passing play that had been on show from both ICT and St. Mirren. Foran saw a header droft over the bar and Andrew Shinnie volleyed goalwards but Samson dealt well with his effort.

However an equaliser soon came and it was the result of St. Mirren being unable to clear the lines from an ICT corner. Aaron Doran meet a high clearance and volleyed an effort back towards goal. Samson was only able to parry the shot and Foran was first to react and bundled his header into the goal. Suddenly ICT were on top again as the fantastic Andrew Shinnie was thwarted by a one handed Samson save after he had drifted through the St. Mirren defence and Doran also passed up a good chance with a very weak effort that trundled wide.

However, going into the final few minutes of the game it was St. Mirren who suddenly looked like they could grab a winner as Lewis Guy met a wonderful cross and cracked an effort off the post with Reguero stranded. Two goals were ruled out for offside for St Mirren and St Mirren also had a penalty claim waved away as Carey (I think) was booked for diving.

Quite an incredible match with plenty of chances for both sides. It was great to see two teams, for the most part, try and play some good passing football. St. Mirren were more defensive for most of the game but when they stifled an Inverness attack the strode forward from the back with some great passing and movement which carved open the ICT defence on several occasions. Teale and McGowan had good games and Matthew Cooper struggled against Thompson who gave him all sorts of problems. For ICT Andrew Shinnie was fantastic. His close control and dribbling were top class and he was at the centre of most of our attacks. He came in for some rough treatment from some of the St. Mirren players who found him hard to stop.

Crowd announced as 3,506 with around 150 - 200 St. Mirren fans. I didn't realise that there were no trains running today so fair play to those fans that did travel today. Bit poor from the ICT support again but I thought there was a bit more than was announced.

There's been some discussion on Collums performance and I have to say I thought he was absolutely rotten. My favourite decision today that he got wrong was when Draper was "tackled" from behind by a St Mirren player who didn't play the ball and caught Drapers leg. For some inexplicable reason Collum gave a free kick to St. Mirren. A very poor performance.

• Agree 5

It was a great game, I thought Graeme Shinnie was exposed at times it was the same in the previous game he didn,t know whether to come inside or stay with the winger He need help in front of him,