Butcher to Barnsley? Terry stays put***

RossP

The point is that he was seriously considering leaving.  I find that disappointing. 

No, I think you missed the point. In the interview he said he went down to Barnsley for "football reasons". I wouldn't mind betting that those were the same football reasons that produced those words on 18th November. Remember the post-match reaction that put 99.9% of the football world completely on the back foot after the 5-1 defeat to Motherwell? Remember what happened next?

The man's a man-management genius.

Did I hear that Boycott's just been recalled from India? Something about a lucrative job offer back home.

Edited by NormaStitz

I wouldn't argue much with what Caley D says either.  I think the fact that Terry has decided to stay gives a hugely positive message.  He has given a message loud and clear that there are more important things than just money.  Importantly his decision shows this club up in a very postive light indeed.  But I really don't think you can deny that it has been an unsettling 48 hours and I have to say that the positive message would have been stronger still if he had said "no" a little sooner.  Surely the message about the reasons for him staying would have been stronger if he had said it had been an easy decison rather than a difficult one!

I would say that the opposite of "the positive message would have been stronger still if he had said "no" a little sooner" is true. The fact that, having acted in a measured, logical, considered, courteous and respectful manner - with what must undoubtedly have been a significant offer - he chose to stay with ICT. Had he dismissed their interest without discussing their possible offer with them, the rejection wouldn't have carried the same weight and significance that it does now.

Now having officially left Happy Clapper mode.......(and still not having worked out why my browser doesn't work on here so still no bolding or italics, but maybe some capital letter "shouting")

I rather like Terry...he is an ace media PR hack with a decent back-up system..but I have never been 100% convinced of his personal abilities.....which is why I have always been a happy clapper for the team with Terry as the very effective figurehead...he makes ICT sound good....but over this last couple of seasons I have been becoming less enthusiastic, and, I admit it, because he has continually given kids from English clubs preference over our own kids.....before giving our own kids a chance.

I wonder if his decision re Barnsley was because his MANAGEMENT team wasn't prepared to shift, not because HE wasn't? Without what he considers the right management team, imo, he is as much real use, as an effective football manager, as a chocolate teapot on a hot stove would be an effective method of producing pourable tea? And I think he knows that.

A good football manager with CONFIDENCE IN HIS ABILITIES doesn't NEED an IRREPLACEABLE 2ic,(or scout). A good football manager can FIND a good 2ic (or scout)...if he was a decent manager in his own right in the first place. His management team would be a backup and not an essential. (Alex Ferguson has had at least seven different 2ics at Man U(I think) and the one he took with him, initially and eventually, from Aberdeen only lasted five years at Man U..but he found replacements for him over the years...some worked....some didn't.....that is life...football...and the luxury of having someone else to blame and sack because you fecked up with signings, tactics etc!)

Terry and Mo between them, imo, make a bloody good whole, or they have in Scotland, which is the only place they have joined up to date,..and Marsella as scout at ICT is the icing on the cake(even if I, personally,as a Scot first and a football supporter second, don't like his focus on introducing kids who kick our homegrown players, who have been with us, and trained and nurtured by us since they were 9 years old, into touch...and into the Highland League/3rd division or out of football altogether.)

Have to say his acceptance of reality speech on the Club News link reads more like something he should have considered BEFORE today, and should have meant him dunting Barnsley from their first approach, because the fact that ICT was polite enough to allow Barnsley to talk..DOESN'T mean Terry was OBLIGED to be polite enough to listen to them.

Given Terry knew, for example, that ICT was in the process of signing this Devine laddie, on the recommendation of Marsella and the backing of Terry, and who was really only coming because of Terry...and Terry was the reason just about every other ICT player over the last season or so signed....he decided not only to feck off the ICT committee , the fans, but also the players with this ego fecking massaging!

Maybe I'm weird....but if I was offered a job I knew didn't really want because I was happy where I was, I'd just say "NO...BUGGER OFF" immediately. I wouldn't be entering discussions to see what they were offering, in the certain knowledge that it would, if nothing else, produce uncertainty epitomised in threads like this....and I also wouldn't want the people offering the job to be placed in the situation of having to say they had failed.(in this case yet again). That signals, to me, that if a good offer turns up, between now and the end of Terry's contract, he may well go, if he can get Mo to tag along, without considering anything but his own ambitions.

Michael Parkinson, Harry Worth, Charlie Williams, Arthur Scargill, Mick McCarthy, Darren Gough, Dickie Bird, Saxon........can you hear me.  Your boys took one hell of a beating tonight.

Arise Sir Terence, The Butcher of Barnsley :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:

:bighug:

A FECKIN PSYCHOLOGICAL MASTERCLASS - I hope that it was a calculated "plan" - The ultimate outcome for any narcissist but also could reap mega psychological positive effect on everyone linked with ICT. Oh I do hope that the next step is an emotional statement from TB stating that he will not make any other move to leave until the closure of this season - oh it is great to know that there are other intelligent psychopaths in operation.

Fantastic news. It is such a rarity to see somoene in football not think just about the money. Like my rant on the front of the Courier said this week he has the chance to do something great here and I firmly believe he will. Best of luck Terry. Its a pleasure to know your staying at the club.

hi all,

Thanks for making me welcome here, you seem a great bunch and obviously on an high at the moment with your team.

A bit disappointed we missed out on butch but not really a surprise, our board should really have assessed the situation better. Like TB said in the interview with Radio sheffield, had you been in mid table things may have been diffferent. But he really would have been giving a lot up. Saying that had you been in mid table its debatable if we would have contacted him.

Will defo keep an eye on your progress from now on and wish you all the success possible.

I guess TB's dog can breath easy tonight :D

Edited by fevtyke
  • Agree 8

Do have to wonder at all the whooping and clapping on this thread by folk who are chuffed he is staying FOR THE MOMENT...and who have never wondered why he put us, and the Barnsley crowd through this in the first place.

Which part of "We have been going extremely well to be second in the SPL, still in the Scottish Cup and with a League Cup semi final to look forward to later this month.

"I have also brought people to this club and, on reflection, feel that I should remain with them to try and continue the good work.My focus is now firmly on that." did he NOT know before he decided to talk to Barnsley?

Still seems to me that he'd be off if Mo, and maybe Steve Marsella, would have gone with him.

He was entitled to listen to what they had to say.  In case you missed it, he turned them down ffs.  I'm sure he will be off one day, it happens.  People are also entitled to be happy with the result.  He is our boss and he has taken us to where we are today, even if it did hurt a few at the time, so why not celebrate the fact that he listened, he pondered and he still preferred to stay with us, is that not enough for you.

• Agree 6

Good news, sir.

This is the first time we could have a crack at a decent finish and we need continuity to do that. It's unbelievable that we are where we are and having the bunch of lads we do in the second half of the season could see us hit new heights. Terry staying has given us something we nearly lost, stability and hope.

If Terry gets us to a final, top 3 or something I doubt anyone would grudge him moving wherever he liked. Repaying loyalty an all that.

• Agree 1

He was entitled to listen to what they had to say.  In case you missed it, he turned them down ffs.  I'm sure he will be off one day, it happens.  People are also entitled to be happy with the result.  He is our boss and he has taken us to where we are today, even if it did hurt a few at the time, so why not celebrate the fact that he listened, he pondered and he still preferred to stay with us, is that not enough for you.

But, way I see it is the reasons he gave for staying are exactly the same reasons he COULD have used for turning them down flat and not entertaining them in the first place. Sure, he was entitled to listen to what they had to say...but why do that if he WOULDN'T have gone if the set-up at Barnsley was one he could work within?

See, that's what I can't quite understand....the fact that he pondered and came up with the same reason for his decision to stay as he could so easily have done if he decided to refuse to talk at all...and everybody is so chuffed...although, in the end, his decision was not based on what he said in the Club hand-out....because he KNEW that was the situation with ICT BEFORE the talks...so what he said in the Club news thingie wasn't the reason he didn't go, just something produced to appease the fans, imo. And it appears to have worked spectacularly!

Loyalty is not staying where you are because all the elements in another offer didn't work for you..loyalty is not applying for/considering seriously/ talking terms other jobs in the first place.

Edited by Oddquine
  • Agree 1

But, way I see it is the reasons he gave for staying are exactly the same reasons he COULD have used for turning them down flat and not entertaining them in the first place. Sure, he was entitled to listen to what they had to say...but why do that if he WOULDN'T have gone if the set-up at Barnsley was one he could work within?

See, that's what I can't quite understand....the fact that he pondered and came up with the same reason for his decision to stay as he could so easily have done if he decided to refuse to talk at all...and everybody is so chuffed...although, in the end, his decision was not based on what he said in the Club hand-out....because he KNEW that was the situation with ICT BEFORE the talks...so what he said in the Club news thingie wasn't the reason he didn't go, just something produced to appease the fans, imo. And it appears to have worked spectacularly!

Loyalty is not staying where you are because all the elements in another offer didn't work for you..loyalty is not applying for/considering seriously/ talking terms other jobs in the first place.

Not    Now   CATO.

PS     RE POST 582,  CLICK  ON THE ICON NEXT TO THE RUBBER,   'BBCODE MODE'   IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS ADDING BOLD TO YOUR CAPITAL LETTERS    CATO

Edited by 12th Man

Not    Now   CATO.

PS     RE POST 582,  CLICK  ON THE ICON NEXT TO THE RUBBER,   'BBCODE MODE'   IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS ADDING BOLD TO YOUR CAPITAL LETTERS    CATO

Not being a Pink Panther fan......I actually had to google that!  :blush:

BTW....cheers for the heads up re the sorting out of posting! Chuffed that all posting options are no longer greyed out for me!  Didn't think to look past the fact that I couldn't click on anything...just assumed that windows 7, which is bogging, but not an optional extra on this laptop...and the latest incarnation of Firefox..which is just as bogging....but was the penalty I had to pay for forgetting to unclick all upgrade automatically boxes,  had combined nastily to produce something basically unuseable!  (I have to use Opera to read my hotmail!)

You do know how football clubs operate, don't you? It's not a normal job and I for one appreciate having a manager who want's to do the best he can. At the moment he's here and successful, if he wasn't successful where would your loyalties lie? With the manager? The club? Please go and have a lie down, it'll all look a lot better in the morning.

I never really believed we would get Butcher, I hoped we would but never really believed it.

But he has really pissed off a lot of Barnsley fans.  We really need a new manager and wanted someone in before the weekends match agains leeds.  TB has wasted 3 days of our time. Even if it was to do with Mo not wanting to leave, surley they could have discussed this before agreeing to speak to us.

Im  not sure i could get behind a manger who agreed to speak to another club, even if he turned them down. 

When Mark Robins agreed to speak to us a while ago, the rotherham chairman put him on gardening leave and gave him no choice relly but to accept.

I suppose Butch may have got himself a nice pay rise out fo this though

I never really believed we would get Butcher, I hoped we would but never really believed it.

But he has really pissed off a lot of Barnsley fans.  We really need a new manager and wanted someone in before the weekends match agains leeds.  TB has wasted 3 days of our time. Even if it was to do with Mo not wanting to leave, surley they could have discussed this before agreeing to speak to us.

Im  not sure i could get behind a manger who agreed to speak to another club, even if he turned them down. 

When Mark Robins agreed to speak to us a while ago, the rotherham chairman put him on gardening leave and gave him no choice relly but to accept.

I suppose Butch may have got himself a nice pay rise out fo this though

Don't see how you can blame Terry for wasting your time....not unless you are so arrogant as to think that it was a foregone conclusion that Terry would up sticks and leave for Barnsley!!!

It's your board who approached a Manager who was already in a job...and flying high.  If you want to apportion blame for wasted time, then look to your Directors as they are the ones who seem to have totally misjudged the situation and spent 3 days chasing the man who ultimately could not be convinced to leave his existing job.

Maybe Barnsley need to take a look at how ICT conduct themselves in these things.  Any time we've been looking for a new manager you get ZERO from the club until the deal is done.  They've done exactly the same in this situation...made the statement that they gave Terry permission to speak to Barnsley and then kept schtum until the decision was finalised.

That can be as frustrating as hell for us, the fans, but ultimately you aren't left with egg on your face....and you can often pursue more than one target without it ending up like you were left settling for 2nd, 3rd choices or whatever.

Barnsley are the ones that took the gamble....and lost.....so I fail to see how you can point the finger of blame at anyone else.

P.S.  Terry was out taking a nice relaxing walk with his dog as the news broke...so all is well.

• Agree 1

Not sure if you read my other post but I say that the directors were wrong.

But TB didn't have to agree to meet them, and he didn't have to take 3 days.  It took SOD less than a day to say no,  this was a guy who was out of work and didn't have to worry about upsetting the fans of his current club. 

Butcher uses the excus ethat you are second in the league and still in two cups.   Did all that happen within he 3 days or were you actually second in the league and still in two cups when Barnsley approached him.

The directors could have misread the situation massively and approached Neil warnock at leeds, he would have said No straight away with no harm done.

But TB decided to   agree to meet the directors on the first day and then spend the next two days discussing a job he was never going to take. Thats time wasting in my eyes.  He said he owed it to Barnsley to speak to them, well not really he owed it to Barnsley and ICT to turn it down straight away.

Anyway, we move on and at least his dog is safe.........Until next time

Edited by fevtyke
  • Agree 1