Butcher to Barnsley? Terry stays put***

RossP

If it was a Crystal Palace/Cardiff/Ipswich type of team, I think he'd probably go and in the case of Ipswich, definitely would.

Can't see him going to somewhere like Barnsley at this point in time though.

I can't see any sense in Terry wanting to go to pastures new.  Sure he might be offered more money at the likes of Barnsley but would he end up with more and is that really what he wants in any case?  If he wants to stay, I am pretty sure his future is secure here for some time to come, during which time he will be on a good wage.  He may be able to earn more elsewhere but that could be pretty short term and unless he produced positive improvements, he could soon find himself out of a job again and unable to command the same sort of salary in another post.  In any case, at his age and with his background and other interests he should be financially very secure by now.

My feeling is that the money isn't actually that important to him as long as he has enough to live comfortably (which he has).  He likes to be in the limelight and I am sure he would love to win a national trophy and manage a team in Europe.  He won't get that at Barnsley, or Wolves or any other Championship side but he may well get that at Inverness.  And being associated with a team that is challenging for those honours (albeit in a far less competitive league than in England) he maintains a higher profile for his wider interests.

If he achieves success here, then he will be in the shop window for a seriously bigger club and I wouldn't blame him then for moving on and trying his hand at the top level before he retires.  But to move to a championship side at his time of life just makes no sense.  If he wants to win something then he needs to stay here.

• Agree 2

Step back a bit. We have an unknown Scottish Reporter bored by Xmas. A no hoper going no where in his life. What does he do? 'I know I will dream up a story because there is no real news to report and cling to the tails of an institution and Manager who are successful.'

Pitiful person.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/inverness/208720-barnsley-approach-inverness-ct-boss-terry-butcher-over-vacant-managers-job/

Barnsley; a club that are going nowhere and are very likely to be relegated to League 1. Terry would be mad to go in my opinion.

Apparently Craig Burley was also Scotland boss ...

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/inverness/208720-barnsley-approach-inverness-ct-boss-terry-butcher-over-vacant-managers-job/

Barnsley; a club that are going nowhere and are very likely to be relegated to League 1. Terry would be mad to go in my opinion.

never new CRAIG Burley got a shot at Scotland manager lol amateurs

Although there are some attractions in doubling/trebling his salary, having a player budget 6 times his current one, plus a rumoured 7 figure transfer kitty.

Barnsley is also a lot closer to Chorley and access to the psychological advice Terry relies so heavily on these days.

• Agree 1

For just about the first time in Terry's managerial career he is on the brink of significant success this season.  Even with a, no doubt, tempting financial offer from Barnsley, I'm sure he will feel he wants to see this season through with us.  If the season turns out as well as many of us dare to hope, his stature as a manager will be sky high, and who knows what offers he might then be tempted with.

From BBC link above:

"Caley Thistle are currently second in the SPL, a position that would see them reach the Champions League qualifying stage if they maintain it to the end of the season. The Twerton Park side have lost just three games all season in the league, one fewer than league leaders Celtic."

Twerton Park is Bath City FFS!

Tell him to give Steve Paterson a call, or even a quick chat with Robbo .........

Right now - based on this season's success so far - he is about as close to a football "job for life" as you can get. Here's hoping what happened to him after leaving Motherwell and eventually landing up at Brentford is at the forefront of his mind.