Danny Devine

Big G

Rumour from Wrexham Season Ticket Holder friend is that we are in for the 19 y.o Belfast born central defender. Wreham web-site says he is away and a free agent. Friend says he is a talent has pace, good in the air and scores a few goals.

Young Irishman ponders his future.

The Club can confirm that while we have made a long-term offer to Danny Devine, it looks likely that the player will be heading away from the Racecourse.

After completing a loan period from Fleetwood Town and then being released by the Fylde club, Danny is a free agent and able to sign for any team, now that the transfer window has re-opened.

Late in the day he has received contact from other clubs and he is reviewing his options before making a commitment.

We had hoped that the Belfast-born defender would have agreed to remain at Wrexham, but at this stage, that seems unlikely, with clubs from higher up the footballing ladder showing an interest.

Wherever Danny finally ends up, we thank him for his contribution over the last three months and wish him well in his future career.

Edited by Big G

If we are in for a central defender then I think someone will either not be getting a contract renewal or has chosen to leave when his deal expires at end of month. Hoggie was given an extra year to recover but sadly doesn't look like its happening for him.

If we are in for a central defender then I think someone will either not be getting a contract renewal or has chosen to leave when his deal expires at end of month. Hoggie was given an extra year to recover but sadly doesn't look like its happening for him.

I would agree  that it seems as if we might be losing someone if we are trying to bring in another defender.  Apart from Hogg's long term injury, and the longer he is out, the less his chances seem for him to make it back to full fitness, we still have King recovering from injury.  So why another import, unless someone is leaving?

Edited by Caley Mad In Berks

I would agree  that it seems as if we might be losing someone if we are trying to bring in another defender.  Apart from Hogg's long term injury, and the longer he is out, the less his chances seem for him to make it back to full fitness, we still have King recovering from injury.  So why another import, unless someone is leaving?

it may be the fact that only st mirren and dundee have a worse defensive record than us

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts 1. Celtic 21 13 4 4 40 15 43 line.gif2. Inverness CT 21 8 10 3 44 35 34 3. Motherwell 22 9 7 6 37 30 34 4. Hibernian 21 9 4 8 31 29 31 5. Aberdeen 22 8 7 7 30 28 31 6. St Johnstone 22 7 9 6 24 26 30 line.gif7. Kilmarnock 21 7 7 7 31 27 28 8. Dundee Utd 21 6 8 7 33 33 26 9. Hearts 20 6 7 7 20 22 25 10. St Mirren 22 6 7 9 30 38 25 11. Ross County 20 4 9 7 21 30 21 line.gif12. Dundee 21 3 3 15 13 41 12

With 3 defenders currently out of action we have no cover at the back...given how things went last year then it's no surprise that we're bringing in someone like Devinve who can play at Full Back or Centre Half.

Don't think we should read any more into it than that.

• Agree 2

Daily Post says "not yet cut and dried" but I suspect this article was written before the BBC's. And more to the point, Wikipedia has him down as an ICT player!

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/wrexham-fc/2013/01/04/danny-devine-waiting-on-caledonian-switch-55578-32542874/

DEFENDER Danny Devine’s proposed move to Inverness Caledonian Thistle is not yet cut and dried, the former Wrexham player admitted last night.

The 20-year-old, who made eight Dragons appearances in a three-month loan spell, but turned down an 18-month contract at the Racecourse, is in talks with the Scottish Premier League club, one of several clubs interested in signing him.

Devine said yesterday: “I am in talks with Cally Thistle trying to get something done and I would say it is looking more likely than not at the moment.

“Coming from Wrexham in the Conference, it would be a big opportunity to move to Inverness.

“There are a lot of big games in the top flight in Scotland against the likes of Celtic, Hearts and Hibs. It is an appealing prospect moving north, but I just have to see what happens in the next few days.

“One of the main reasons I am in talks with Inverness is that they are doing brilliantly in the league this season, sitting in second place. If it was to happen I would definitely look forward to going up and joining them.

“I had a chat with (manager) Terry Butcher and Steve Marsella (goalkeeping coach and scout) and we will have to see where it goes in the next couple of days.

“There have been a few offers from other clubs, but there is a good possibility of the deal going through in the next couple of days.”

Josh Magennis's Twitter seems to suggest that Devine has properly signed.

Also rumours that Chris Burke's coming in on loan and Richard Brittain's coming in as well.  Both probably a load of rubbish (the rumours not the players!).

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Josh Magennis's Twitter seems to suggest that Devine has properly signed.

Also rumours that Chris Burke's coming in on loan and Richard Brittain's coming in as well.  Both probably a load of rubbish (the rumours not the players!).

Why would Birmingham decide to put someone out on loan who's made 21 starts and 8 from the bench this season? I would have thought that say's he's a regular first team player.

Think Steve Marsella is the one we need to look after. If he goes then there is a fear that we will quickly become Ross County or worse. I calculate that since he arrived as chief scout and goalkeeping coach he has scouted 10 players out of our recent starting 11's. Only Richie Foran was here when he arrived.

• Agree 2

Think Steve Marsella is the one we need to look after. If he goes then there is a fear that we will quickly become Ross County or worse. I calculate that since he arrived as chief scout and goalkeeping coach he has scouted 10 players out of our recent starting 11's. Only Richie Foran was here when he arrived.

Don't fret - I will continue to act in a consultancy role and can take over if necessitated !!