Clach v Cove Rangers

Fraz

With all the big boy games off for the winter break, anyone else thinking of heading down for this to get their football fix? Quite fancy it, not been to Grant St in ages. Heard it's £8 to get in, anyone know if that's right?

As a great advocate of the Highland League in general and of its continuing presence in Invernes in particular, I would commend a visit to Clach to any ICT supporter who doesn't have the opportunity to follow his own club on any particular Saturday. My visits to Clach have unfortunately been fewer and further between this season with SPL in both Inverness and Dingwall but I have every intention of going down to Grant Street on Saturday for an afternoon of watching a top(ish) of the table HL clash whilst listening in to the SFL on Open All Mics and am very much looking forward to it.

Didn't Bobby Mann leave Formartine at the end of last season?  He might still be assistant there mind.

I googled Bobby Mann, and in addition to finding him valued at £175,000 on the Transfermarkt website, I raised a smile at this one:

"I am the Modifier. My name is Bobby Mann and I am a qualified Personal Trainer, Life Coach and Sports Nutritionist."

Contemplating going to see Keith v Forres but Formartine v Forth William is more appealing because it's closer and also because Bobby Mann might play.

Formartine v Fort William could also be rather appealing in view of what Formartine might score!

http://www.highlandfootballleague.com/LeagueTable/

Although rather better than recent seasons, Fort William still have a pretty desperate "GA" record while in terms of "GF" Formartine have even been averaging 3.3 per game, a figure only marginally bettered by Wick. Formartine put six past Pele's old team Huntly last Saturday.

Tell you something... this mid season SPL break is offering a great opportunity to enjoy the Highland League in more detail! :smile:

Gutted! Was hopingg to get my football fix this afternoon down GSP havent been there since 07 due to work and ofcourse caley. Actually havent been in GSP since they tore down the wine shed. I bet it feels more open without it. Used to love standing there as it reminded me of my young days in the Howden End. Hopefully they'll build an enclosure of some sorts in the future. Learnt many a new word in that wine shed :)

Gutted! Was hopingg to get my football fix this afternoon down GSP havent been there since 07 due to work and ofcourse caley. Actually havent been in GSP since they tore down the wine shed. I bet it feels more open without it. Used to love standing there as it reminded me of my young days in the Howden End. Hopefully they'll build an enclosure of some sorts in the future. Learnt many a new word in that wine shed :)

Yes I have to say I strongly agree with what Forza has said here. Every time I visit Grant St it's like stepping back into a wonderful past world of cherished old memories of football as it used to be in Inverness. I am a strong believer in Inverness playing an ongoing part in the Highland League and that was why the whole merger thing became that bit more acceptable to me when Clach pulled out of the negotiations.

The HL was founded in Inverness, on Bridge Street, and of the seven teams which completed the first season in 1893-4, six were from Inverness.... Clach, Caley, Thistle, Citadel, Cameron Highlanders and Union (which was "assimilated" :smile: by Thistle shortly afterwards). The other one was Forres Mechanics which means that only Clach and Forres survive from those original members. A team from Dingwall, which I have heard reportedly called Ross County but I'm not 100% sure if that was the original name since the current cluib wasn't founded until 1929, also started that season but resigned during it.

Steadily the league extended eastwards and indeed Elgin are the only team ever to have scored "nul points", which they did three times between 1900 and 1906. Of course we all know that the "Highland" League for quite a few seasons across the millennium was heavily dominated by the Aberdeenshire teams so it's really good to see the likes of Forres, Wick, Nairn and especially Clach reasserting themselves more recently.

PLUG - tune into Sports Report on BBC Radio Scotland on 810MW and 92-95 or 103.5-105FM at 6:30 for a full round up of today's remaining five HL fixtures and all the rest of the national sports news.

Isn't it ironic!  The SPL takes a short mid winter break, but before it does the heavens open and games are called off because of a waterlogged pitch in Dingwall.  Then the break comes so folk decide to take in some Highland league foooty.  The weather is drier but colder with the result that games are called off due to frozen pitches.  Meanwhile SPL pitches are perfectly playable because of the heating but no-one is playing on them because of the break.  Cue snow for next weeked and a postponement for safety reasons. 

Isn't it ironic!  The SPL takes a short mid winter break, but before it does the heavens open and games are called off because of a waterlogged pitch in Dingwall.  Then the break comes so folk decide to take in some Highland league foooty.  The weather is drier but colder with the result that games are called off due to frozen pitches.  Meanwhile SPL pitches are perfectly playable because of the heating but no-one is playing on them because of the break.  Cue snow for next weeked and a postponement for safety reasons. 

Except all four call-offs are due to waterlogged pitches.

Oops!  I was just going by what Fraz said in an earlier post.  Maybe the waterlogged pitches have frozen.

Not according to: http://www.highlandfootballleague.com/News/Item/338_Postponed_games_-_Saturday_12_January_2013.aspx

Postponed games - Saturday 12 January 2013
Press & Journal Highland League

The following games have been postponed

Clachnacuddin v Cove Rangers - Frozen Pitch

Formartine United v Fort William - Waterlogged Pitch

Nairn County v Buckie Thistle - Frozen Pitch

Strathspey Thistle v Huntly - Frozen Pitch