Lossiemouth 0-4 Wick Academy

Full time    

Nairn County P-P Buckie Thistle

Postponed - due to waterlogged pitch

Strathspey Thistle P-P Huntly

Turriff United 7-1 Rothes

Full time  

This thread inspired me to take in my first Highland League match of the season.

Went to Banff to watch Deveronvale take on Inverurie Loccos. The match itself was a fairly dull affair with loads of endeavor but not much skill or composure but lit up in the end by a goal for the visitors what seemed deep into injury time. How deep into stoppage time was difficult to say due to the absence of a fourth official. Good, however to see a team playing in vertical red and black stripes playing and prevailing at a Highland League ground.

The quality of the football aside, the matchday experience was a joy. Self and two sons paying at the gate and getting change from a twenty pound note. A healthy away following permitted to enjoy themselves and indulge in banter with the home fans without a steward in sight.

Piping hot tea and delicious pies procured for about half the price at the TCS and back in the car and away from the ground within three minutes of the final whistle.

Would recommend at least one visit to a Highland League ground per season to anyone.

P

This thread inspired me to take in my first Highland League match of the season.

Went to Banff to watch Deveronvale take on Inverurie Loccos. The match itself was a fairly dull affair with loads of endeavor but not much skill or composure but lit up in the end by a goal for the visitors what seemed deep into injury time. How deep into stoppage time was difficult to say due to the absence of a fourth official. Good, however to see a team playing in vertical red and black stripes playing and prevailing at a Highland League ground.

The quality of the football aside, the matchday experience was a joy. Self and two sons paying at the gate and getting change from a twenty pound note. A healthy away following permitted to enjoy themselves and indulge in banter with the home fans without a steward in sight.

Piping hot tea and delicious pies procured for about half the price at the TCS and back in the car and away from the ground within three minutes of the final whistle.

Would recommend at least one visit to a Highland League ground per season to anyone.

P

What a wonderfully positive post which I would thoroughly endorse! Coming as the post does from someone with a long background in the HL, the experience must have felt like a home from home for you!

Fair takes me back to the old days when I used to take my son to HL games at Telford Street, Kingsmills and Grant Street. We even made Huntly for Caley's last ever game.

BBC:

Clachnacuddin P-P Cove Rangers

Deveronvale 0-1 Inverurie Locos

Full time    

Formartine Utd P-P Fort William

Fraserburgh 0-0 Brora

Full time    

Keith 1-2 Forres Mechanics

Full time    

Lossiemouth 0-4 Wick Academy

Full time    

Nairn County P-P Buckie Thistle

Strathspey Thistle P-P Huntly

Turriff United 7-1 Rothes

Full time  

Ok, but given the choice of straight from the horse's mouth at the Highland League, or via Chinese whispers and/or lazy editing at the BBC, I know who I'm 

going to believe.

Edited by ilpadrino

Gutted! Was hopingg to get my football fix this afternoon down GSP havent been there since 07 due to work and ofcourse caley. Actually havent been in GSP since they tore down the wine shed. I bet it feels more open without it. Used to love standing there as it reminded me of my young days in the Howden End. Hopefully they'll build an enclosure of some sorts in the future. Learnt many a new word in that wine shed :)

Yes I have to say I strongly agree with what Forza has said here. Every time I visit Grant St it's like stepping back into a wonderful past world of cherished old memories of football as it used to be in Inverness. I am a strong believer in Inverness playing an ongoing part in the Highland League and that was why the whole merger thing became that bit more acceptable to me when Clach pulled out of the negotiations.

The HL was founded in Inverness, on Bridge Street, and of the seven teams which completed the first season in 1893-4, six were from Inverness.... Clach, Caley, Thistle, Citadel, Cameron Highlanders and Union (which was "assimilated" :smile: by Thistle shortly afterwards). The other one was Forres Mechanics which means that only Clach and Forres survive from those original members. A team from Dingwall, which I have heard reportedly called Ross County but I'm not 100% sure if that was the original name since the current cluib wasn't founded until 1929, also started that season but resigned during it.

Steadily the league extended eastwards and indeed Elgin are the only team ever to have scored "nul points", which they did three times between 1900 and 1906. Of course we all know that the "Highland" League for quite a few seasons across the millennium was heavily dominated by the Aberdeenshire teams so it's really good to see the likes of Forres, Wick, Nairn and especially Clach reasserting themselves more recently.

PLUG - tune into Sports Report on BBC Radio Scotland on 810MW and 92-95 or 103.5-105FM at 6:30 for a full round up of today's remaining five HL fixtures and all the rest of the national sports news.

There is actually a thread on OTB just now about Ross Countys beginnings and their supposedly mongrel foundations. The Ross County of 1893 had to leave the HL because they didnt have enough money. However not long after, the same group of people formed Dingwall Victoria United who competed in the North Caley league along with Dingwall Thistle. In 1928 these two teams almagamated and in 1929 joined the HL under the old name of Ross County. According to the Jailender, because they reverted back to the old name this doesnt make them mongrels..........LOLS. This merger also explains how Victoria Park got its name. But ofcourse they sold their history for the Global Energy naming rights............bunch of mongrel franchise plastic nobodies ;)