Scotty

Oddquine you are entitled to that opinion but I don't agree with it. If we had won I doubt this would even be getting a mention tbh

Likely not...but we didn't win and the 18 year old who lost it for us was a Marsella pick, endorsed by Terry,,,and not one of the homegrown youth players.  I feel for Roberts because I think that losing a match as a result of his failure is going to do bugger all for his confidence going forward....but I do wonder why he was picked to take the penalty  in the first place......I really do!

Oddquine you are entitled to that opinion but I don't agree with it. If we had won I doubt this would even be getting a mention tbh

Likely not...but we didn't win and the 18 year old who lost it for us was a Marsella pick, endorsed by Terry,,,and not one of the homegrown youth players.  I feel for Roberts because I think that losing a match as a result of his failure is going to do bugger all for his confidence going forward....but I do wonder why he was picked to take the penalty  in the first place......I really do!

And slating the lad and pinning sole blame is going to boost his confidence?

Get a flippin' grip!

I really cannot ever come to understand folk who pick the negative out of any situation, good, bad or indifferent! Particularly those who pin blame in such a manor as you have done in the above.

For the entire season so far we have been fantastic, and the lads were so so close to making all our dreams of a first major final come true.

4 defeats all season, 2nd in the SPL, still in the Scottish Cup, a chance of Europe, a chance of a top-six finish - and you pick on an 18 year old for missing 1 effort on goal!!? Disgracful...

• Agree 11

And slating the lad and pinning sole blame is going to boost his confidence?

Get a flippin' grip!

I really cannot ever come to understand folk who pick the negative out of any situation, good, bad or indifferent! Particularly those who pin blame in such a manor as you have done in the above.

For the entire season so far we have been fantastic, and the lads were so so close to making all our dreams of a first major final come true.

4 defeats all season, 2nd in the SPL, still in the Scottish Cup, a chance of Europe, a chance of a top-six finish - and you pick on an 18 year old for missing 1 effort on goal!!? Disgracful...

I'm not slating the lad, any more than anyone else on this thread has been, read back through it....but I do wonder at a management who chooses to let an 18 year old take a penalty in a score or fail drastically situation in a cup semi. . If I am slating anybody at all, it is the ICT management for  letting him take the penalty...not  Roberts' performance in the taking of it. 

Having spent Saturday afternoon  listening online to the match and reading the BBC Live updates, I am horrified at the yellow card level attracted by ICT players...and I'm not about to accept that, yet again, the referee was biased given he red-carded a Hearts player and we couldn't take advantage of that. When I watched footie regularly in the late 1960's in the Highland League, the one thing all of the players appeared to have been taught was how to foul without making it blatantly obvious that you were fouling..

You can read  my post as you want to read it....that is certainly your prerogative....but I have not picked  on any 18 year old any more than anyone else on this thread has since he missed his penalty.....I repeat read the whole thread and not just respond to my post as if nobody else has ever posted. My original response was to cal234ey and you quote my second response to old caley girl, resulting from my  original comment following her comment on my my original response to cal234ey.

Just for the record Davie + caleycalum my post earlier for us to use are last sub for Esson wasnt a joke.

I honestly think changing the keepers before a shoot out is as sound a move as making a sub to bring a penalty taker onto the park in the dying minutes, teams do it all the time. 

You never know it might have put a bit of doubt in the HEarts players minds.

I thought this too at the time as it seemed to be heading for penalties. In fact assuming you know through training which keeper is best at saving penalties (one would imagine Esson from previous results), why wouldn't you do this? It's just like any other tactical substitution and if the keeper doesn't like it, well too bad.

Of course it puts huge pressure on the keeper coming on.

To e honest, as bad as we played, we should've still won that comfortably. McKays one on one in the first half, him and Foran having decent headed chances as well.

I'm just going to assume Billy didnt want to score yesterday as that miss in extra time was one of the worst I've ever seen. All he had to do was stroke it into the net first time. It was wide open for him! Quite unbelieveable. As for Roberts penalty...oh dear.

At the end of the day we chose yesterday, of all days, to have an off day, against what for me, is one of the worst Hearts teams I can remember seeing.

What makes you think that Roberts was picked to take a penalty?

Glad you feel for Roberts but I'm not sure he was picked by anyone. He probably had the balls to volunteer and although I wish he hadn't well there you go. Just don't think signalling him out because he's not local is fair! If he had scored we wouldn't have cared if he had come from the moon!

We didn't lose because one person missed a penalty, we lost because we couldn't win over 90 minutes or over 120 minutes, which is a team thing and not down to one person. Singling out one person is just ridiculous and anti-thetic to the whole principle of team sports.

• Agree 6

Having been at the game and have just watched the highlights here are my thoughts.

We didn't play well for long spells in the match. We were not our usual inter passing attacking team of late, a lot of the time we played the long ball up to Mackay which was bread and butter for the Hearts defence. At 11 v10 we should have kept it on the deck and worked the openings and stretched the game which we did in spells but then punted the ball long!

Hearts were up for the game and deserve to be in the final, they looked dangerous when in posession of the ball. Ngoo played well and was a big physical prescence annd was very mobile but I did feel that after his booking he was persistantly fouling but yet never got a second yellow!!

Foran was lucky to be on the park, his free kick he gave away after being booked was a second yellow.

Roberts when he came on gave posession away to easily, was lacking in confidence.

MacKay was off the boil yesterday when we needed him most, why he didn't lob MacDonald in the first half when he was clean through or stroke the ball into the net from Sutherlands cutback only he will know.

A bad day at the office. Thats 3 times I've watched Caley Thistle in a major Semi Final and 3 times I've come away disappointed. We've got to pick ourselves up focus on finishing well in the league and hopefully it will be 4th time lucky in the Scottish Cup.

Change of keepers at that stage not only unfair to both but could have been potentially damaging to their futures had it not paid off. 

Ryan Esson is still the senior goalkeeper at the club and I very much doubt he would be phased long term had he come on and let n 5 penalties himself. 

Changing keepers is no different to bringing on penalty takers near the end of a game.

what a disapponitment.

we had the chances to win yesterday but on overall play hearts looked the better team, more comfortable on the ball. just watched the highlights on line and this confirmed it for me.

last week against aberdeen draper struggled to cope with smaller player cammy smith and was the same yesterday. had a few sliced clearances/passes and one fresh air swipe. first touch was poor with smaller players biting at his heels and when the ball was headed back for hearts equaliser he should have won the header to stop it considering his size.

on the highlights package the commentator says that when mackay through 1 on 1 with keeper on first half " you would have bet your mortgage on him scoring". sorry not from what i have seen the last couple of seasons. mackay not very good in this situation, bit  like tade, ok that may be a bit unfair.

thought dorran was poor yesterday and rightfully hooked. there were others also but maybe its just because hearts were better/ more up for it.

once we scored we went back to the style of pumping high balls to mackay, webster, zallliuckus " or what ever his name is" were not even having to jump to win the ball. oh for a big brewster/ngoo style player who can compete and hold the ball

cant remember raven going forward at all yesterday, he seemed under pressure at all times, no chance to get forward and play the silky one two's, or the crosses to create scoring chances

could not believe when roberts came on. i have never rated him and yesterday as on many other occassions he lost the ball very easily.

sad to admit when he took the penalty i had absoloutely no confidence in him.

suggested to the person next to me the esson scenario but would have been unfair on reflection although regeuro did not get near to any of the hearts penalties.

i was scathing of roberts yesterday but in the cool light of day he has done what players who are on a different planet from him have done and will do in the future -- he missed a penalty. hey ho it happens move on.

have said on here before that we have a team of eleven players that picks itself each week, and have nothing in reserve. worrying when injuries and suspensions start to kick in.

shocked that a team like hearts who have put out the begging bowl to their supporters to survive to the summer can take in big money players like wilson and ngoo.

all in all a dissapointing ocassion. is there better to come or have we seen the peak. next few weeks will tell

oh nearly forgot what about mackays tap in. what the **** was he playing at. that was a "hampden here we come, game over, the fat lady had sung, get the champaigne out", moment.  

andy shinnie amazement on his face, could not believe what he had just seen. get the close up on the online highlights

Just woken up from the long day out.

Hearts were there for the beating. We lost that . Pumping high hopeful balls up ? Didn't work over and over again..

Where are the highlights ?

In some masochistic sort of way I d like to see how the f3ck billy missed the OPEN goal . Was at the wrong end to get a good view of it. Hopefully it wasn't as bad as it looked from our end !!!!

Thought after the 10th foul since been booked Ngoo should walk. Not sure how many fouls someone has to make before it becomes persistent fouling..

Anyone else's heart sink when referee went for pocket after mckay brought down webster only to find out was for the sub.

Sorry to be a downer on are team selection policy but think its absolutely disgraceful roberts gets on ahead of nick ross..

As well as the penalty miss roberts also overstretched to header a ball that was falling perfectly for andy shinnie at the back post in final minute of extra time much to shinnies disgust and mine.

Anyway still are greatest season and it was only the diddy cup anyway.. 

This is absolutely spot on. Why do we persist with him when Nick Ross is evidently a better player? I would also argue that Roberts is not better than Sutherland or Pepper so why waste our time playing a guy who is off back to Arsenal in a few months. I admit I did not see the 4-0 win against Dundee United where apparently he was impressive but I have seen little to convince me he is anything special and he certainly does not have the work ethic to fit into this team. 

Hopefully we continue our good league form with a win on Wednesday and progress to the last 8 of the Scottish cup on Saturday.

Disappointing to lose to what as a poorer than usual Hearts side especially with them down to 10 men and us having such a great season. 

Edit: Not sure how to fix the quoting function but oh well

Because Marsella found Roberts and Marsella didn't find Ross...or Sutherland? And Terry thinks so little of the opinions of our own youth coaches that he ignores their opinions? 

This is one of the craziest posts I've ever read on here. How can anyone think Butcher or any other manager would chose a team or penalty takers on "which person found them" is utterly ridiculous .

To be honest I am no fan of Roberts and think Ross should always come on before him if at all possible.

Shane Sutherland wasn't much better than Roberts when he came on either.

Edited by Big G

Can we not flog Mckay? & time Butcher went back to league one !

:frustrated01:

Very apt! not your post just your name, how negative can some folk be.          :arsekick:

Ahh that was difficult to take.  We didn't play well at all.  However, with our chances we should have won.  Feel sorry for Roberts.  Hopefully we can bounce back with a win at the Midden and then a cup win at Killie.  I always had a sort of niggling feeling about this game when they announced that the game will go ahead in Hearts home city. 

It's 4 years to the day since Terry and Mo arrived.  A disappointing way to mark it but we can still have good times ahead.  :ictscarf:

Just watched the highlights.  I aint the lads Roberts greatest fan but it was a peach of a ball to Sutherland to set up Mckay for what should have most certainly been the winning goal.  And Billy should have scored when he was one on one with the keeper....but we all have off days. The penalty he took wasnt that good either.

If he d have scored we d have won, but if your aunty had baws she`d be yer uncle.

Onwards and upwards...just hope it disnae put a downer on an excellent season.

Concentrate on the league time !!!!

• Agree 1