Scotty

The fact that ICT aren't in the final isn't what's disappointed me.  What's disappointed me is that the team didn't seem to rise to the occasion at all.  It was like going back to last year's team at times.  There's no doubt Hearts were the better team.  They seemed right up for and fought hard for every ball and retained possession far better than we did.  Ngoo also looked extremely dangerous going forward.  

In saying that, ICT missed some golden chances - McKay's one on one in the first half being one, but how he missed that chance in the first half of extra time with only a forward pass to score, I'll never know.  Andrew Shinnie's effort in the second half of extra time was bitterly unlucky.  We should have done better on that front.

In saying that, why were both Roberts and Sutherland included in the squad.  Butcher seems to have his heart set on Sutherland being a winger, but it is something he will never be.  And when is Philip Roberts ever going to do anything?   He shouldn't have being anywhere near the choices for the penalty takers either, far less taking the most important one.  In hindsight, Pepper should've been in the squad instead.  We desperately needed an impact player today and he may well have been it.  Perhaps also changing Reguero for Esson for the shootout would have changed things, but life goes on.

Disappointed by the performance to be honest.  10/10 for the ICT fans though!  :thumbup:

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Its usually the players that decide spot kicks and having a forward who is there to score as one of the takers is not that surprising.  Robertswas not brought on to take a penalty but for young legs against tired to win in extra-time.  If Foran or Doran had missed a penalty, fans would have been asking why someone so tired was allowed to stay on, instead of fresh legs getting a chance to win it in open play.

What was the difference was Hearts bringing in a couple of ringers in multi-million pound players from Liverpool.  And all those thousands in wages from a club that asked fans to raise over a million, whilst not paying their own staff. That stinks.

• Agree 2

Got to feel for young Philip Roberts. Although I don't think anybody should be to 'blame' either him or Butcher for the miss. We're a fickle bunch - often with short memories.

It should be remembered that he stepped up last -and scored- in the penalty shoot-out win over Stenhousemuir to effectively put Inverness through. There might not have been the game today had he not shown the bottle on that occasion!

• Agree 6

...and another thing.

How is it that one team is automatically awarded 3/4 of a ground in a national cup semi-final? (I am aware of the relative fan base but on the odd occasion they woke up it was, to all intents and purposes, a home game for them.) Nuts.

myself and the guy sitting net to me thought Ngoo should have been off with the amount of fouls given against him surely something had to be done, anyone else feel the same?

anyway disappointed to lose, support was awesome,ref was a bit weird today but he did ok, wasn't too sure about the sending off but ill get a better view from the replays

game was ruined by a bloody know it all armchair manager sitting behind me who had nothing positive to say! His wifes possessed voice was like nails on a blackboard!

I will never forget Roberts look to our stand as his penalty went skyward! Felt for him.

Positives were a great crowd and a noisy ICT support!

myself and the guy sitting net to me thought Ngoo should have been off with the amount of fouls given against him surely something had to be done, anyone else feel the same?

anyway disappointed to lose, support was awesome,ref was a bit weird today but he did ok, wasn't too sure about the sending off but ill get a better view from the replays

Thought after the 10th foul since been booked Ngoo should walk. Not sure how many fouls someone has to make before it becomes persistent fouling..

Anyone else's heart sink when referee went for pocket after mckay brought down webster only to find out was for the sub.

Sorry to be a downer on are team selection policy but think its absolutely disgraceful roberts gets on ahead of nick ross..

As well as the penalty miss roberts also overstretched to header a ball that was falling perfectly for andy shinnie at the back post in final minute of extra time much to shinnies disgust and mine.

Anyway still are greatest season and it was only the diddy cup anyway.. 

• Agree 1

Thought after the 10th foul since been booked Ngoo should walk. Not sure how many fouls someone has to make before it becomes persistent fouling..

Anyone else's heart sink when referee went for pocket after mckay brought down webster only to find out was for the sub.

Sorry to be a downer on are team selection policy but think its absolutely disgraceful roberts gets on ahead of nick ross..

As well as the penalty miss roberts also overstretched to header a ball that was falling perfectly for andy shinnie at the back post in final minute of extra time much to shinnies disgust and mine.

This is absolutely spot on. Why do we persist with him when Nick Ross is evidently a better player? I would also argue that Roberts is not better than Sutherland or Pepper so why waste our time playing a guy who is off back to Arsenal in a few months. I admit I did not see the 4-0 win against Dundee United where apparently he was impressive but I have seen little to convince me he is anything special and he certainly does not have the work ethic to fit into this team. 

Hopefully we continue our good league form with a win on Wednesday and progress to the last 8 of the Scottish cup on Saturday.

Disappointing to lose to what as a poorer than usual Hearts side especially with them down to 10 men and us having such a great season. 

Edit: Not sure how to fix the quoting function but oh well

Edited by cal234ey

We seemed to have saved our worst performance of the season for one of the biggest games. From the off we didn't look in control in midfield, it was akin to the early days of the season where our midfielders were isolated and Hearts played between our lines, so to speak. Draper and Jones didn't push on and dominate the play, allow Hearts to funnel the balls out wide where they had some success.

We created some excellent chances, in the first half Shinnie picked up a clearance and sent a hooked pass over to top for McKay to run onto. Away from the defence and one-on-one with McDonald, he came up short, hitting an easily saved shot close to the Hearts keeper. Hearts came back and forced Reguero into a low save and then the new striker Ngoo hit the post with a header. We forced a couple of openings and Foran headed wide from a right hand cross. Overall, Hearts pressed us much more in the first and I was glad to get in goaless.

Shinnie scored just at the start of the second half, a great goal. We had the ball forward and McKay's battling knocked it into the path of Shinnie, who took it a couple of yards and then cracked a low shot into the corner of Hearts net. It was a great strike, typical of SHinnie, who is really blossoming into a great player. Sadly, again in a throwback to how we played early in the season, we sat deep following our goal and allowed Hearts into the match. They put pressure on and had some big penalty shouts, which looked pretty hopeful from our end of the ground. Then Ngoo, who was involved in most of Hearts promising play, volleyed in following a knock back across goal, a great finish.

In the last 15 minutes Scott Robinson was sent off for a challange on Owain Tudor Jones. It happened pretty quickly and Jones didn't go down but Robinson looked to jump in, which we've seen red cards given for. The Hearts fans didn't see it like this and were furious at the ref for the decision. From our perspective, we couldn't make the extra man advantage count in normal time, which was disappointing.

In the first period of extra time, we almost gifted Hears a goal when Novikovas slipped in past Raven, but the ball was knocked wide. Then Sutherland was played in and forced McDonald into a good save, with McKay seemingly caught out he couldn't knock the ball into an empty net. Sutherland followed up the save with an attempt at an overhead kick that sailed over. Andy Shinnie then had a chance in the second half but his effort went over the bar from close range, just getting caught under the ball.

All the penalties were excellent, keepers didn't get near to any of them until Roberts followed up another disappointing cameo with a shockingly bad penalty, ballooned way over the bar. Really disappointing end to the match - on performance we didn't really deserve to win but given the chances we had and the fact it was 10v11 for most of the game we really should've done better.

I thought the atmosphere was excellent from both sets of fans, the stadium was buzzing. Good luck to Hearts in the final.

• Agree 1

First and formost, what a cracking day out, fantastic atmosphere in the stadium.

The game itself was a bit disappointing with us nowhere near our best. Had a few decent chances that in other games players like mcKay would have snapped up. Thought the referee had a poor game, how we had more players in the book i will never understand with how physical hearts were being. Thought there new sticker Ngoo was a right handfull in the air and caused us lots of problems at set plays from which he hit the post.

None of the players had there best games today and some were quite a bit below there best. But Roberts? A big 0 out of 5 when he came on. All he did was give the ball away and then miss the desicive penalty.

Fantastic for the club to get to a semi final and lets hope we can get as far in the other cup and continue the league form.

Just back and there's not much I can add to ICTChris's post. Pretty gutted that we lost but especially in the manner that we played. When our most composed player Tudor Jones is forced to belt the ball long time after time you knew we weren't going to have time to settle into out rhythm and that's credit to Hearts who harried our midfield all day even when down to 10 men.

Overall I thought the game was quite poor albeit eventful. Our best piece of play was probably Andrew Shinnies finish for the goal. McKay had several good chances including one in extra time when he seemed to go round the keeper but pass the ball back to a team mate huh.gif 

Hearts threatened early on with an effort off the post and Ngoo caused no end of problems for Warrens and Meekings. I didn't see the equaliser but it was certainly deserved for Hearts. I felt ICT could certainly have prevented it if we had simply cleared our lines but, as Chris says, we have a habit of defending far too deep at times and inviting the opposition on to us which obviously brings unneeded pressure which we eventual succumb too.

The red card looked like the correct call. I noticed Robinson in the Edinburgh Derby charging around like a headless chicken and he was like that at times today. It certainly looked like a dangerous lunge and I don't think he can have too much cause for complaint. Sadly, after that, you'd be hard pressed to tell which side was down to 10 men as Hearts were just as much of a threat as they were with 11 men and we didn't really create any more chance of real significance. I would have liked to have seen us really take the game to Hearts and whilst we had a couple of decent chances we never looked like we could put Hearts away.

All the penalties were excellent with the exception of Roberts (obviously). For ICT I would liked to have seen Reguero at least try and get close to one of them but he seemed to be completely sold by the Hearts players taking the spot kicks. I don't know who else on the pitch I would have liked to be taking a penalty but fair play to Roberts for stepping up to take a kick but it really was a horrible effort which wasn't even on target.

Overall, really disappointed that we never seemed to get going but no real complaints from me about the result. There has been little to separate the teams this season and it was the same again today.

Good luck to Hearts in the final.

EDIT: Foran was lucky not to be sent off towards the end of the first half. Quite stunned that Norris let him away with a clear booking whilst already on a yellow. Even if we had gone through we would have been missing about 5 first teamers in the final and would probably get destroyed.

Poor choice for final pen, too much pressure on young shoulders. Lost it before then as we didn't do enough in normal time & missed a sitter in extra time. Only positive is I won't have to fork out $$$ coming home.

Roberts will have put himself forward to take the penalty so I don't really know how it can be classed as a poor choice. Butcher would not have forced the lad to take one.

Guest Mahonio

What a piggin' awful day to be a Caley Canary :cry:

That was an awful result for Chris Hughton and co, at least we went down on Penalties, but for some reason, FA Cup and Norwich never go well, last season MK Dons and now Luton, if I was a Norwich fan, I'd be calling for Hughton to be sacked.

Edited by Mahonio

I think that penalty is the worst I've ever seen by an ICT player.  The spot-kick Wilson missed at Parkhead was pretty bad - Hedman guessed the right way when Barry tried to roll it in and just picked it up - but at least Wilson hit the target and you could see what he was trying to do. 

I hate Roberts.

This, and the posts like it are pretty unforgivable and do no credit to the people posting them. It's the easiest thing in the world to miss a penalty, never mind when 16 000 people are screaming at you. Those who are posting this stuff have no idea what pressure is about. Ballooning it, hitting the post, getting too smart - either way it's a miss and the result is the same. Similarly, those who wanted Reguero subbed for the pens - if we had done that, the lad would have been perfectly justified in getting the first plane back to spain and saying stuff you. Can't believe the attitude. I can believe the expectation, the demands etc. but not that attitude.

As for the game, Foran should have walked, so should Ngoo. He was brutal. we were sucked into playing Hearts game of pumping up long balls and it suits us even less than it suits them but we so nearly made it. Dust ourselves down, st. mirren on wednesday.

• Agree 13

I hate Roberts.

This, and the posts like it are pretty unforgivable and do no credit to the people posting them. It's the easiest thing in the world to miss a penalty, never mind when 16 000 people are screaming at you. Those who are posting this stuff have no idea what pressure is about. Ballooning it, hitting the post, getting too smart - either way it's a miss and the result is the same. Similarly, those who wanted Reguero subbed for the pens - if we had done that, the lad would have been perfectly justified in getting the first plane back to spain and saying stuff you. Can't believe the attitude. I can believe the expectation, the demands etc. but not that attitude.

As for the game, Foran should have walked, so should Ngoo. He was brutal. we were sucked into playing Hearts game of pumping up long balls and it suits us even less than it suits them but we so nearly made it. Dust ourselves down, st. mirren on wednesday.

Well said Davie. I know Roberts pen was horrible but he had the guts to put himself up for it. I did joke about subbing Esson as Ryan seems to have the Midas touch with pens but it was in jest and I think others meant it his way as well. There's still plenty to look forward to. SC on Saturday and chasing a European slot. Onwards and upwards!

Gutted Nick Ross didn't come on instead of Roberts. We didn't change tactics to take advantage of ten men. We decided to let an 18 year old inexperienced fringe player take the most important penalty in our history.

I'll never forget the groan from the crowd as he trudged forward to take the pen...then look up at the crowd and absorb every bar of pressure into himself before skying the ball over the bar. In away I feel really sorry for him.

It wasn't a real cup anyway.

Similarly, those who wanted Reguero subbed for the pens - if we had done that, the lad would have been perfectly justified in getting the first plane back to spain and saying stuff you. 

Similarily, had Butcher done that and Esson had a made a couple of saves and ICT had gotten to the final, we'd all be heralding an astute and pivital tactical move.  Esson's penalty save record is far better than Reguero's (who's been nowhere near saving any of them) and making such a change isn't much different to taking one outfield player off in the final minute for another player, thought to be more likely to score in the shootout.  It's a team game after all.

Changing keepers for shootouts has been done in the past anyway.  Martin O'Neil did it once at Leicester bringing the 6"8 Australian keeper Kalac on, because he'd have more chance of saving some.  Apparently as well, in South America team's are known to go into knock-out games with a match keeper and a shootout keeper on the bench ready if the situation arises.  It could be the difference in a winning a game or not.

Edited by Renegade

Just for the record Davie + caleycalum my post earlier for us to use are last sub for Esson wasnt a joke.

I honestly think changing the keepers before a shoot out is as sound a move as making a sub to bring a penalty taker onto the park in the dying minutes, teams do it all the time. 

You never know it might have put a bit of doubt in the HEarts players minds.

• Agree 2

This is absolutely spot on. Why do we persist with him when Nick Ross is evidently a better player? I would also argue that Roberts is not better than Sutherland or Pepper so why waste our time playing a guy who is off back to Arsenal in a few months. I admit I did not see the 4-0 win against Dundee United where apparently he was impressive but I have seen little to convince me he is anything special and he certainly does not have the work ethic to fit into this team. 

Hopefully we continue our good league form with a win on Wednesday and progress to the last 8 of the Scottish cup on Saturday.

Disappointing to lose to what as a poorer than usual Hearts side especially with them down to 10 men and us having such a great season. 

Edit: Not sure how to fix the quoting function but oh well

Because Marsella found Roberts and Marsella didn't find Ross...or Sutherland? And Terry thinks so little of the opinions of our own youth coaches that he ignores their opinions?