ICT -V- Kilmarnock

Scotty

Very disappointed after watching that. Chance after chance wasted. Fair play to the boys were are playing some nice football and along the ground. We are getting into tight space and making good chances for ourselves but we are missing them. What really annoys me is that when we get into space outside the box, we just fanny about with it - Just have a dig. That Killie goalkeeper was really dodgy at times and we should have pelted them on target. Need to take a leaf out of OTJ's book on long range shots!

Terry's substitutions really baffle me at times. I personally think players that are on the bench need to come on far earlier in the game than the 80th minute. How the heck is Shane Sutherland (who is played out of position) supposed to make an impact in 4 minutes? Billy McKay was really struggling vs Sissoko. Personally with Shane's height, we could done with having him up front.

The game should have been finished before the 80th minute and Killie didn't really deserve the point. We really need to get three points at Fir Park.

Edited by ICTRoughi
  • Agree 3

Plenty of clear chances to win the game and all of a sudden a couple of late subs cost us the 3 points? We battered them tonight and couldn't finish. Simple as, no need for histrionics or complaints about tactics. Can you tell me how many more clear chances we would have had with different tactics? Killie were very poor, Plan A was working again, however we couldn't effing SCORE.

We were robbed tonight and I doubt SAF would have been able to influence what happened on the park. Still very frustrated but cat has been kicked, sulk is over and just hope we get our shooting boots back.

• Agree 3

Possession 60/40

Shots 6/1

On target 4/0

Corners 5/2

Fouls 3/2

Seems like we are on top. Killie suffering from A9 lag and Bobby Madden having a good game.    Aye that will be feckin right!!!!!

He was shyte

• Agree 1

We're dominating the game, keeping the ball and creating loads of chances before making a bizarre substitution and going defensive against a team that haven't threatened us all game.  This finally allows them to come at us and run down the pitch and score, before almost scoring a winner.  Is that just coincidence?  No, it's poor tactics.

Also, there's rumours going round that Butcher had an altercation with a fan at full time and according to some reports punched him.  I never saw anything, but can anyone shed some light on that?

Edited by Renegade

Should have been 4 or 5 up by the time they scored and thats not an exaggeration.  If we keep playing like that though the wins will come.  McKay needs a goal to get his confidence in front of goal back (missed an open goal in first 5 mins and a decent chance in the second) but his movement is still brilliant.  He reminds me a bit of Kenny Miller, great movement and pace but an instinctive striker.  Doesnt like too much time to think.

Also in my opinion neither ours nor Killies shouts for pens were actual penalties, i thought they were both good tackles.

Nick Ross should have been hooked, he was a passenger for the last 20 mins, that 1-2 and run into the box was a pathetic outcome to a nice move, Really gutted about that result, just heard Terry on the radio, he cant believe we did not get two points, I can Tel, shyte subs too late as usual.

What a sickener.  Feels like a defeat to be honest.

The fact is that we only have ourselves to blame for not winning.  We created more than enough chances, even without playing particularly well.  In front of goal we lacked composure.  For the first time since September, our forwards look short of confidence in the box.

For the umpteenth time, I was left perplexed by our subs.  Devine looked completely at sea in midfield.  He didn't look like he had ever played there before, and Killie just waltzed through the middle of the pitch after he came on.  Their goal came because Sutherland failed to track their left back when he raced forward, and in the process left Raven hopelessly exposed against Dayton.  All we needed at that point was a bit of extra energy on the park - bring on Pepper for crying out loud!

The referee was hopeless as usual - how he failed to give a pen for a blatant foul on McKay by Sissoko is beyond me.  Sending Shiels to the stand right at the end just seemed petty as well.

• Agree 1

We're dominating the game, keeping the ball and creating loads of chances before making a bizarre substitution and going defensive against a team that haven't threatened us all game.  This finally allows them to come at us and run down the pitch and score, before almost scoring a winner.  Is that just coincidence?  No, it's poor tactics.

Also, there's rumours going round that Butcher had an altercation with a fan at full time and according to some reports punched him.  I never saw anything, but can anyone shed some light on that?

:amazed:  

• Agree 1

At the end of the day poor sub choices or no we should have had that game sewn up before that was even an issue.

Knew it was going to end in tears when the pie van ran out of hot water so I couldn't get my HT coffee.  :thumbdown:

:amazed:  

It's complete rubbish. TB was angry after the game, but only because of the amount of chances that we scorned. He wasn't even rising to the bait about Bobby Madden. Contrast that with Kenny Sheils interview, which was off the planet.  Make no mistake, we thumped kilmarnock tonight - we had over 20 shots at goal,they had one on target. When you see the replay of Sissoko's foul on McKay, it was as blatant a penalty as you will ever see. The tactics, which as far as I could see were to play our usual passing game, worked. There was no need for a plan B, because we passed through them at ease. They then scored at at a time where reacting was out of the question anyway. As far as subs go, Sutherland was simply replacing tired legs, so it was immaterial as to when or where he came on. He simply had a job to do in his area of the pitch. Devine for A Shinnie was ok for me - devine plays a good passing game from what I have seen and I think that 70 minutes or so is all we can expect from Shinnie after his injury at Killie in the cup. We missed Foran tonight, he might have converted one or two in his area at the far post, but we should have been out of sight at half time. Loss of form? No. Loss of confidence? No. Just an inability to put the game to bed when we should have.

Unless we forget, we are still second in the SPL (our highest placing ever) and we have reached the semi of a national competition. That's something to celebrate.

• Agree 6

Not good.  Kilmarnock were the worst team I have seen for a long time.  We were pretty poor but should have won by 3 or 4 clear goals such was our dominance, but we never really created many chances and when we did create them there was a total lack of confidence resulting in very poor efforts on goal. 

We kept possession pretty well on a greasy surface but there was little imagination in the play.  We also worked hard and closed Kilmarnock down well (except in the last 5 minutes).  But the worrying thing for me was the lack of spark in the final third where nobody really seemed to want to take responsibility. Apart from the goal and one good effort from A Shinnie nobody seemed inclined to shoot or seemed to be really wanting the ball in the box.  As for Doran, he put in more effort than anyone and did a lot of good work but twice got into a good position and then just fell over looking for the foul.  The reserve keeper failed to hold onto the ball a few times early on and I can't understand why we weren't queuing up to have a pop at him.

Didn't understand the late subs.  It was the kind of game that was screaming out for the industriousness of Connor Pepper to bring a spark to the attack.  Both A Shinnie and Ross made little impact in the second half and with Pepper and either Sutherland or Roberts replacing them I am sure we would have gone on to win.  Butcher may be ranting at his players for throwing away yet another lead but again he needs to accept some of the blame himself.  We should have been out of sight before the substitutions were made but bringing on Devine and messing with a defence that had been untroubled for 85 minutes made no sense at all and probably cost us the win.

We may still be 2nd (which is fantastic) but it is very tight behind us and unless we can get a couple of wins very soon we will struggle to stay in the top 6.  And that surely has always been the season's prime target.

Our "Prime Target" is/was always 11th with anything else being a bonus.

Anything other than that is a goal.

Seems that some of our fans are letting our success so far this season go to their heads and expectations are getting a little out of control.

• Agree 2

Not good.  Kilmarnock were the worst team I have seen for a long time.  We were pretty poor but should have won by 3 or 4 clear goals such was our dominance, but we never really created many chances and when we did create them there was a total lack of confidence resulting in very poor efforts on goal. 

We kept possession pretty well on a greasy surface but there was little imagination in the play.  We also worked hard and closed Kilmarnock down well (except in the last 5 minutes).  But the worrying thing for me was the lack of spark in the final third where nobody really seemed to want to take responsibility. Apart from the goal and one good effort from A Shinnie nobody seemed inclined to shoot or seemed to be really wanting the ball in the box.  As for Doran, he put in more effort than anyone and did a lot of good work but twice got into a good position and then just fell over looking for the foul.  The reserve keeper failed to hold onto the ball a few times early on and I can't understand why we weren't queuing up to have a pop at him.

Didn't understand the late subs.  It was the kind of game that was screaming out for the industriousness of Connor Pepper to bring a spark to the attack.  Both A Shinnie and Ross made little impact in the second half and with Pepper and either Sutherland or Roberts replacing them I am sure we would have gone on to win.  Butcher may be ranting at his players for throwing away yet another lead but again he needs to accept some of the blame himself.  We should have been out of sight before the substitutions were made but bringing on Devine and messing with a defence that had been untroubled for 85 minutes made no sense at all and probably cost us the win.

We may still be 2nd (which is fantastic) but it is very tight behind us and unless we can get a couple of wins very soon we will struggle to stay in the top 6.  And that surely has always been the season's prime target.

What messing with the defence??. No subs made to that area, only Devine coming on to strengthen the midfield where we were styarting to come under pressure. Had we won the game, that substitution would haver been viewed as correct. As someine ahs already said, it was not the timing or niumber of subs, just we couldn't take our chances, end of story (and a blatant penalty!)

Sounds from the above posts it was a dominant Caley performance, but ultimately that counts for little unless you score goals - Ref Celtic beating Barca but only 11% of the ball. Sadly its about converting chances and for Billy perhaps the winter break came at the wrong time as he looks lacking in confidence infront of goal (based on the games I've seen recently - not last night). We were perhaps fortunate that we had 3 players all hitting form and scoring together (Foran, Shinniesta, McKay) but with injuries to Foran and Shinnie not 100%, it shows the lack of depth we have - we need someone to start scoring again soon as we just don't have the quality to draft in a replacement although with Shanes physical presence I'd like to see him get a chance playing more forward to win and hold up the ball.

Still sitting 2nd which is way beyond expectations for this far into the season, not all doom & gloom but some tough games coming up - Motherwell, Hearts, D Utd, County but all are winnable, just need to start by putting our Motherwell hoodoo this season to bed!!!

Edited by bdu98196

Disappointing with the draw, it feels like a loss after we dominated the game!

Thought Doran was our most creative player.

A Shinnie worked well but looked a little jaded and sometimes a yard off the ball.

The tactics were right but the players just could not do it!

Another chance on Saturday.

Goals win games - Fact

i thought the Sub was a bit strange, especially since Devine is a CB not a CDM, to me thats Gavin Morrison area....

Also for the Killie goal. it was a midfield runner who was sitting behind our defensive line who scored. I'm not going to say that Shinnie would have been there, but i can imagine the change of tactics and sub would have rearanged the set up from front to back.

For the first 70 minutes i thought that Nick Ross was one of our better players, but he did seem to tire toward the last 20.

The sooner we offer Gary Warren a new contract the better, once again i thought he was outstanding and appeared to be all over the park

Also does anybody know the rules regarding Managers being sent to the stand? 

I was under the impression if you are sent to the stand you are not allowed on the pitch at full time?

PS - Madden had a nightmare

Edited by jamie ictfc

On a dreadful night weatherwise, it was a joy to be seated in the North Stand, warm dry and cosy, with plenty of positive support for our team - plenty good craic, the only negatives - Killie equalising and ICT dropping two points. 

I'm somewhat baffled that it is being suggested that the Manager is blameless and it is all the fault of the players (not least of all by the Manager himself!)

For most of the second half we sat there as we failed to close the game out and almost expected the sucker punch.

Is it the players fault that we did not make a sub earlier to replace Billy (who is having a lean spell like all strikers) and try and force a second goal?

Is it the players fault that we do not seem to have an alternative on the bench to replace the front two (as Shame and Roberts never seem to get a game up front) and only seem to have taken in defensive players in January? Oswell (striker) leaves to be replaced by???

Is it the players fault that we used the same tactic which failed against Hearts and St Johnstone amongst others of replacing the creative players with 'defensive' players and we fail to close out the game? We then have our two most creative players off the park which makes it unlikely that we can try and get a winner.

Yes, the players squandered a number of chances, however sometimes the manager needs to help them out.

The chasing pack have closed up on us over the past three weeks and only time will tell whether we have 'peaked' for the season, however at the moment it seems as though we may be looking at a season of regrets.

Disappointing as it was, I did smile when TB was interviewed and his opening lines included "if this had been a boxing match the referee would have stopped it long ago". He was paraphrasing another SPL manager who had said the same thing about Dundee Utd earlier in the season.

Sadly, TB's statement was more accurate on this occasion. While the other one continued his flights of fancy last night.

As much as I detest KS, one thing I grudgingly admire is that he always talks up his team after every game. Even if it does border on clinical delusion.

He shouldn't be getting involved in these arguments with the fans in the first place, its not the first time. 

True but in the heat of the moment and when you are disappointed, easier said that done when some idiot shouts abuse at you. There were a few comments from fans at the end of the game directed at Butcher from the main stand that were just ridiculous. Some fans really do need to get a grip and take a long hard look at themselves. I wonder why some of them even come to see us as some of these fans I have yet to hear shout anything positive or encouraging towards the team at all.

• Agree 3

He shouldn't be getting involved in these arguments with the fans in the first place, its not the first time. 

True but in the heat of the moment and when you are disappointed, easier said that done when some idiot shouts abuse at you. There were a few comments from fans at the end of the game directed at Butcher from the main stand that were just ridiculous. Some fans really do need to get a grip and take a long hard look at themselves. I wonder why some of them even come to see us as some of these fans I have yet to hear shout anything positive or encouraging towards the team at all.

I appreciate that but like I said it is not the first time, idiots or not they are paying customers and if Butcher thinks the stands can be filled with people shouting what a wonderful man he is then he is in the wrong job. I don't get why people shout abuse at him but it happens at every ground in the country and I feel he should deal with it better  

Edited by gordieict