ICT -V- Kilmarnock

Scotty

It's funny how the same result can generate such different emotional reactions:

1-1 like last night - gutted, angry.

1-1 bog standard even game - indifference, ach well.

1-1 snatching an undeserved late point. What a great feeling, buzzing.

And yet if we are rational, last night's scenario is actually the best of the 3 options because we showed a degree of dominance and good football that bodes well for future games, we showed that we were clearly the better team and therefore should carry more optimism than if we'd been outplayed and just got lucky.

• Agree 2

The chasing pack have closed up on us over the past three weeks and only time will tell whether we have 'peaked' for the season, however at the moment it seems as though we may be looking at a season of regrets.

A season of regrets???

Sheesh, you'd be fun at a party.  So far, it's the greatest season we've ever had!  7th or above and it's a major success.  To be anywhere near the top four would be unbelievable!!!

• Agree 3

And yet if we are rational, last night's scenario is actually the best of the 3 options because we showed a degree of dominance and good football that bodes well for future games, we showed that we were clearly the better team and therefore should carry more optimism than if we'd been outplayed and just got lucky.

We will play a whole lot worse and win on another day. Take it comment 2 is KS?

We're going to lose 2nd place now over the next couple weeks and maybe slip down to around mid table but with the way the team is playing i'm still confident we can achieve top 6.  Then after we make that we can start building for a top 4 finish.

I dunno. We are not playing badly IMO just need to refind our shooting boots and fast.

He shouldn't be getting involved in these arguments with the fans in the first place, its not the first time. 

True but in the heat of the moment and when you are disappointed, easier said that done when some idiot shouts abuse at you. There were a few comments from fans at the end of the game directed at Butcher from the main stand that were just ridiculous. Some fans really do need to get a grip and take a long hard look at themselves. I wonder why some of them even come to see us as some of these fans I have yet to hear shout anything positive or encouraging towards the team at all.

I appreciate that but like I said it is not the first time, idiots or not they are paying customers and if Butcher thinks the stands can be filled with people shouting what a wonderful man he is then he is in the wrong job. I don't get why people shout abuse at him but it happens at every ground in the country and I feel he should deal with it better  

You don't have to be shouting anything at him to set him off.  I once witnessed him screaming at a fan sat in front of him at an U20 match after said fan had made a comment to me about how the momentum of the game had changed in the opposition's favour!  It was a horrible moment and I will not forget it.

Edited by Renegade

I agree , lets all try & be a bit more positive , Ok  we are disapointed we didnt get the win but we werent beaten either & a points a point  :smile:  the first in 4 games !...could that have signalled the end of our wee blip ? i really hope so  :smile:  we were the dominant team & as TB has said " if we play like that then we'll win more than we'll lose "  .. also lets not forget to applaud Nick Ross i think with all the moaning :sad:  people have forgotten to give him a bit of credit ... just back from injury .. 2 games 2 goals ! .... :clapping: :clapping: .... & We're half way through February & still 2nd place ! :ictscarf: MON THE CALEY !!

Edited by Fanoffooty
  • Agree 2

Yet again its all Butchers fault, he had the wrong tactics, wrong subs, hit a fan....... get a grip of yourselves.  We were playing a team that was in good form in the SPL and had 1 shot!! 1 all night and somehow its gone in.  I really don't know what more he could of done to have us win the game.  Not so long ago we would be sitting there watching us repeatedly hoof the ball and come back on here praising Christie and Brewster for a well earned point. 

Yes its frustrating but i'm afraid this happens in football.  Its not the substitutions fault.  Killie have been 1 down for over an hour and they've seeen we've missed a tonne of chances.  They've pushed on in the last 2 minutes and scored with there only shot.  I think we realisticly have to expect a team to have 1 shot against us in a game, unfortunatley for us they got it and scored it at the most frustrating time.  If it had gone over or wide would anyone have cared, I thought we should have cleared the cross and the shot would never have happened.  We would be on here praising a really good performance and the only thing we'd be moaning about is not taking our chances yet again.

I'm not saying you shouldn't critiscise the guy,  but there seems to be people on this website who's whole point in posting is just to constantly critisice and look for ridiculous conspiracy theories at every time.  Rumouring that he punched someone without the facts in my opinion is an absolute disgrace.  Maybe Pep Guardiola or Jose Mourinho will be available next time we need a manager.  But i'm sure even they will be tactically inept compared to some of the expert tactical geniuses on here.

• Agree 5

He shouldn't be getting involved in these arguments with the fans in the first place, its not the first time. 

True but in the heat of the moment and when you are disappointed, easier said that done when some idiot shouts abuse at you. There were a few comments from fans at the end of the game directed at Butcher from the main stand that were just ridiculous. Some fans really do need to get a grip and take a long hard look at themselves. I wonder why some of them even come to see us as some of these fans I have yet to hear shout anything positive or encouraging towards the team at all.

What abuse was shouted ?

And peeple say that I post and talk drivel :lol:  :lol:   Here is a bit of common ground.

On paper, individually and as ateam last night we were superior to Killie so from the off we were expected to win - apart from those of us who have suffered before. It sounds like we actually played them off the park and had a stonewall penalty denied. It feels to me that if we had actually scored a second then the flood gates would have possibly opened. I have said it many times before but there is nothing wrong with the system (Plan A) and when it works and the opposition are unable to thwart it then it can be very, very effective. TB can do nowt about McKay losing his scoring touch or several individual players missing numerous chances. To be fair we aint exactly got "power players" on the bench to take on either. Losing Foran and his aerial ability is also a big miss.

But there were tactical deficits - if Plan A was working why make any substitutions - unless they were due to injury ?  Sorry but even the basic armchair manager knows that there are times that you hold what you have got but you do not make late changes that could upset the rhythm. I was also intersted to note that Shiels appears to have changed his approach late on and it was one of his substitutes that got the equaliser. Why feckin perisit in playing McKay up on his own - especially at home - why not try Sutherland and Roberts up with him or as replacements. That kind of substitution does not create so much damage.

Even our timing of subs has become predictable and surely looking at the link between late substitutions and losing late goals must become apparent. I totally agree with the starting system - I totally agree with the choice of the staring X1 - I am so glad that we have become a football playing team rather than the "hoof". All I am saying that TB comes across as being so feckin stubborn that I sometimes feel that he is incapable of taking any sense of blame and clearly is not learning lessons which are abundantly clear to many of us. I also feel that there is clear "favouritism" and that must cheese off the squad members.

And as fer saying we should be happy with eleventh place - bollicks - at the start of the season YES - now NO FECKIN CHANCE - if we do not make Top Six this season will be a failure.

I amd actually dreading Muvversmell becos our system clearly does NOT work against them and we have adapt to cancel out their strengths.

On paper, individually and as a team last night we were superior to Killie 

Really? Have to disagree there, we have certain players who are better than Killie have such as Shinnies, Doran for creativity but around the other areas the players are similarly matched at best and thats with Killie having several players out such as Bell & Sheridan. But we don't play on paper thankfully..............what we have is workload and effort combined with developing talents.

• Agree 1

Amazing how some fans think it's perfectly acceptable for fans to sit and shout abuse at anyone (be they on the pitch or at pitch side) for 90 minutes without recrimination...yet the moment one of those people reacts they are some kind of disgrace.

• Agree 4

Amazing how some fans think it's perfectly acceptable for fans to sit and shout abuse at anyone (be they on the pitch or at pitch side) for 90 minutes without recrimination...yet the moment one of those people reacts they are some kind of disgrace.

But if those on the pitch or pitch side reacted every time a fan shouted abuse there would be chaos in football, it might not be right but it happens every week at every ground in the country. Would Butcher approve of his players running across and having a shouting match with the fans every time someone abused them, I think not and as difficult as it might be at times he should bite his tongue and show an example to his players 

While I'm sure it's frustrating for Terry Butcher, having shouting matches with fans who have good enough to pay to go to the game does not reflect well on him.

Whether he's in the right or not, it's unprofessional IMO.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 3

Im just waiting on the 'is Butcher the man for the job' thread to be resurrected. Some people have opinions that will not be changed, no matter the good work done.

My opinion is changing, finish 11th and don't play Roberts, happy-!

I will go back to what I said last season. If only TB would shoulder some of the blame - as many other managers do - and accept some of the criticism aimed at him he would probably be viewed as being more human. I think however that most of us would find it difficult to sit there and take vitriol and abuse - especially on a night when TB must have been as frustrated or more than most at our lack of taking chances and giving us all a bit of confidence. He does have narcissistic traits without a doubt - and that is not a condemnation.

TB has the makings of a very good manager - if only he would recognise his deficits, admit to them and learn from his mistakes.

Aye, we'd all happily sit at our work and listen to people hurling abuse at us without reacting because it would be "unprofessional" to do so!!!

Right or wrong, we all have our breaking point when it comes to suffering the opinions of fools.  You'd have to be a total moron to think that it's acceptable to live your life that way, and that it won't have repercussions.  This was not Terry reacting to a single comment, this was him reacting to one of a few people who are in his ear week in, week out and who never have anything positive to contribute.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if/when you give it then you are also entitled to the response.

• Agree 3

Just watched the highlights, jeez how the feck did that bastert Madden not give us a penalty for the challenge on Mackay, feckin unbelieveable!!!      Sissoko never got near the ball.

Just proves all ref's are feckin useless unless they come from Luxembourg.

• Agree 1

The (totally false) rumour about Butcher hitting someone was started by an Elgin fan on Twitter and then spread by County fans.

To be fair, judging by the video clip, if someone hadn't ushered him down the tunnel, he might well have hit the bloke!

Edited by MarkD