ICT v Celtic Match thread

Came away from TCS pretty disappointed after today's game. After the first ten minutes, when Nick Ross scored I thought we could get something out of this game. The defending was terrible for Celtic's first goal and then we couldn't pick up the pace. 

I thought we are definitely lacking an end product today. 

We NEED to win on Wednesday and hopefully get a point at Fir park.  

Edited by ICTRoughi

at 2-1 we were going to get a chance and it fell to billy " he doesent score when he wants anymore" mackay, pot that one and we have something to defend.

seemed to take an age to set himself up, but against quality players you dont get that. maybe looked different on telly

top six would be a fantastic finish but with only 9 points between 2nd and 11th i fear we may miss out again.

when suspensions and maybe injuries occur we have nil on the bench to come in.

Had to go into work this morning so only caught the game in the pub at 2-1 Celtic.

I thought both teams looked ok with Celtic obviously having the better players, they were making less mistakes.

Billy McKay again taking too long on the ball for me, when he scored against Aberdeen everyone was raving about his composure and patience, sadly there comes a time where you need to let your instincts take over and hit a shot first time.

Agree with IHE about Doran, wonder whos decision that was to move him?  He looked absolutley shattered on TV.

I've said it over and over but the league is horribly tight, we've now won just one game in 7 attempts, we're only 5 points ahead of Ross County who we still need to play twice.  Theres 8 more games until the split, I think we need to win at least 4 of them to stay n the European places, every team apart form Dundee will fancy 2nd place this year.

Yeah, but still in second place, which means we're doing better than every other team in the league bar the millionaires.  That's better than teams that are spending massively more than us.  We lost to Celtic - a team that cost millions to assemble, a team in which probably every single player has more talent that his opposite number - and I'm taking into account the reserve nature.  Our nearest rivals are losing 2-0 to Kilmarnock.

Still reasons to be optimistic here.

• Agree 3

motherwell are going to have 2 players suspended next week down to 9 men v killie

unfortunately one was only a sub who came on in the 80th minute and sent off in the 82nd

lasley will be a miss for them though

both off for tackles on dayton i believe, probably at his diving best

I thought we were decent today. Every team hits a bad patch and we're hitting ours without playing badly. Wednesday is a huge game which could define the reast of the season. Would love to have another other local derby with the 'dwellers' after the split

Disappointed to have lost the game today, I thought we did ok in spells, but that Celtic team was crap and certain players like Miku & Stokes were rotten which is a godsend as we could have been properly punished if Watt started.

As ever the Shinnes gave their all, I thought Doran was causing all sorts of issues 2nd half, we still keep playing long high balls to McKay which unless we are playing a Dwarves 11 he will never win in the air. Ross struggled to do much in the game and regardless of his goal should have been hooked earlier, but not for Roberts as the early season desire and effort seems to have gone now, he's just a passenger and not a team contributer. Too many times when the ball was played out on the wing, Ross and Doran (1st half) would move inside or play the ball back killing any pace in the move, we need them to be more direct, take on the man and cross the ball into the area.

We havent become a bad team overnight, but we need to start scoring goals and playing the ball a bit quicker into danger areas.

I only managed to watch the first half on TV (hate these dinner time k.o's) and thought we'd push on once we took the lead. Sloppy goal to give away for the equaliser. After that we seemed to lose the will. We couldn't hold on to the ball for too long before getting pressured into mistakes or just, simply, giving the ball away. Definitely need a win against Killie to reinstall that winning feeling and regain the confidence that seems to have drained away since the semi final defeat. I'm sure we'll turn it around in the end and grab that illusive top six spot.

Thought in the early stages, especially when we went in front that Celtic were there for the taking. 

With all their changes etc, if we had gone 2:0 up, they would have struggled to get back in, we seemed to lack the killer instict.

Anyway lets keep positive for weds! 

I think the game was a bit closer than the 3-1 suggests and it was encouraging to see, even against Celtic, that the team are very keen to keep the ball on the deck and get it forward, particularly from Jones who was a cut above the rest.  Another case though of ICT failing to take their chances, particularly the two golden ones in the second half.

Thought as well, that as the game went on, it was calling for Conor Pepper to come on and run at them, as well as giving ICT a bit of a bounce.  Philip Roberts was the wrong option.

All in all, a disappointing result, but a generally encouraging display. 

Before KO today was always going to be bonus points if any, I thought the team put in a good shift today, its a pity luck wasnt with us as we certainly had loads of chances in the box.  Bring on the Killy,  we haven't been beaten at home during an evening ko all season.

It's always going to be hard to play against 12 men.  I thought Craig Thomson's performance was flabbergasting; it was like different rules for each team.  Their defenders were all over McKay and Shinnie without punishment, yet Celtic players were awarded fouls whenever one of our guys so much as breathed on them.  From the moment Doran got blatantly tugged back on a counter-attack and he wouldn't even give a free-kick, let alone a yellow card, I knew there was no hope for us today.  He was five yards away from Fraser's blatant handball and refused to give the penalty, and 90 seconds later Celtic scored.  His decision to stop play for a Kayal 'injury' when we had an attack on was nothing short of scandalous - he signalled to everyone that there was a head knock, yet Kayal got up instantly when play stopped and had a knock to his thigh.  In most countries, people like Thomson aren't even trusted to hold a pair of scissors - in Scotland we make them referees.

I didn't think it was a poor performance from us today at all.  Draper and Doran particularly stood out for me with excellent shifts, and our full backs both played very well.  I don't know why Esson got the nod over Reguero; he looked a bit uncertain at times though I don't think he was at blame for any of the goals.  The only big disappointment was Celtic's second, where we switched off after a corner was initially cleared and Gershon was virtually unchallenged as he headed home.  I don't think it's unreasonable to claim that we have played well enough in the last four games to take something from each, and I just hope the players keep their heads held high because we will win plenty of games when we are playing as well as that.

• Agree 1

Like many dissapointed not to have taken a result today. For large chunks of the game we dominated posession but just couldnt turn into goals, Celtic on the other hand were clinical with their chances, apart from picking the ball out of his net Esson didnt really have a great deal to do.

Foran was missed today. Aerially, defensively and as a team leader. Doran and Raven got some great crosses into the area but there was no one at the back post and they were easily dealt with, same problem with set pieces. Cant help but think McGeouch would have been marked tighter by Foran as well, he was given too much time on the ball and i think just as an overall presence on the pitch he was missed.

There were some positives from the game. Thought Doran was acceptional and he certainly gave his best as did both Shinnies (even though Andy was about 30% fit) and Nick Ross who im glad to see back. Took his goal well and showed one or two moments of promise.

Back to back defeats is a bit of a concern but we havent looked bad in the games we have played. Just need to get back to our clinical ways. Hopefully starting next Wednesday.

Also agree with the criticism on Thomson. Some of his decisions were baffling today. Blatant bookings ignored, penalty shouts ignored and stopping play for Beram Kayal was ridiculous. There was nothing wrong with him.

Edited by ajsict92
  • Agree 3

I think we have been soft in midfield for the last four games, regardless of players who have been in there. OTJ has been off the pace for all four games (especially v Hearts where the game went on around him). I think he is a decent player going forward at times but I'd like to see more dig and challenge in midfield. Giving the ball away as much as we have been is also not recommended.

Too many directionless passes after too much thought, instead of the easy first time pass to keep the speed going. We had a lovely flowing move just before the first goal which showed what we can do. We just didnt do it enough. The front guys are fast so give them the ball early.

The Celtic team out today actually played pretty well as a unit even with so many changes. I think we can pick it up again if we move the ball forward quicker and we must press more and better in midfield. Other results went for us again so that helps.

Had a laugh at the article with DA delighted at their 'leap up the table' - which today stands at one place....

Really quite gutted after that as we deserved to take something from the game, 1-3 flattered them and a draw would have been far fairer. Celtic took their chances, we didn't ultimately that was the main difference. Mr Thompson didn't do them any harm either mind, with some truly bizarre decisions. Player wise Doran, Draper and OTJ played very well and personally I'd have taken on Pepper rather than Roberts.

A couple of boys on the pub after said they thought Celtic's 3rd was maybe offside but as a north stander I can't tell, can anyone elaborate on this or were they straw clutching?

Anyway time for a fecking dram.   :drinking06:

A couple of boys on the pub after said they thought Celtic's 3rd was maybe offside but as a north stander I can't tell, can anyone elaborate on this or were they straw clutching?

Straw clutching I'm afraid.

:sad: