Butcher hits out at fans.

madsooz

That is absolutely feckin disgraceful from Butcher and sorry but pure narcissism. He is going down the pan in my estimation. IT NEVER HAS ANYTHING TO DO BUT WITH FECKIN HIM. That stoopid, pathetic outburst totally smells of denial and projection and will be a ready used excuse fer feckin off in the summer. Fer fecks sake TB - start taking some of the blame and the responsibility. Be a feckin MAN - that does not mean flattening yer critics - it means taking a portion of the feckin blame , shouldering it and protecting yer players. :yellowcard:

Is that not slagging the man off then ?    or is it just slagging off what he says ?

That is absolutely feckin disgraceful from Butcher and sorry but pure narcissism. He is going down the pan in my estimation. IT NEVER HAS ANYTHING TO DO BUT WITH FECKIN HIM. That stoopid, pathetic outburst totally smells of denial and projection and will be a ready used excuse fer feckin off in the summer. Fer fecks sake TB - start taking some of the blame and the responsibility. Be a feckin MAN - that does not mean flattening yer critics - it means taking a portion of the feckin blame , shouldering it and protecting yer players. :yellowcard:

Is that not slagging the man off then ?    or is it just slagging off what he says ?

HE STARTED IT :laugh:   His reactive response has really angered me. I cant believe that Kenny Shiels has made him look like an eejit. His comments avoid talking about the game itself. Even if he said "a certain section" or "acertain group of fans". Again he needs PR and Therapy:

How about - " I can appreciate the frustration of the fans but find the abuse difficult to deal with. I may have made some tactical misjudgements recently but I have learned from harsh lessons. Some of the players have let me and the fans down with some preformances and are as frustrated, if not more, than the support that we are out of two cups when we had enough chances to win all of the last five games. We need your patience and your support even more in the coming weeks."

Guest SneckieMan

Maybe someone should explain to TB (talks bollox) that the reason nobody goes to the games is the fact most people in Inverness find the existence of this club a total disgrace. Someone should tell him the team he manages was formed against the will of the vast majority of true Caledonian fans and that's why the only people desperate enough to follow them are incomers to the town and menopausal fat women. ICT could be around for 200 years and they'd never recreate the atmosphere and history of the mighty Caledonian fc and any former fans of Caley who disagree with me should hang their heads in shame.

bollox

• Agree 1

If I had my way, those sitting in the areas designated for home support who then abuse the home team and management on a match day should be removed by the stewards and dumped into the areas designated for the away support.  The only people who benefit from their ill considered behaviour is the away team so they might as well sit there.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but in my view, this is the place to express it.  I certainly don't agree with everything the manager does and have been very critical of him at times.  But at least on the website you can make your point in a civilised way and debate the issues.  Offering constructive criticism is actually a supportive thing to do because it allows those that the criticism is aimed at to consider a different point of view. 

And just a brief word on booing.  Someone said on another thread that the booing of Philip Roberts when he came on a sub was more to do with expressing displeasure at the fact that a substitution was being made at all.  Some will saying that booing at the end of the game on Wednesday was directed at the referee. What complete b*llocks.  When you are on the park and hear booing, that's all you hear.  You don't get a little message with it saying that it is directed at someone else.  It's ignorant and only serves to anger those who we should be supporting. 

No doubt there are those who will say that we pay good money to be entertained and if those being paid don't deliver the goods then we have every right to boo.  I understand that point of view but what purpose does it serve?  Will it help them play better next time?  No.  Will it encourage them to stay at the club? No.  If the performance doesn't warrant staying to cheer them of the park then just stay silent.  The lack of applause will make it clear to them that they've let the fans down - that's quite enough without having abuse hurled at them.

I am torn between thinking it's free country ,

And I don't like booing our team or manager

But I will defend a person's right  to show his displeasure at the manager, team, or players, if s/he wants to.

Otherwise censership creeps in and we might as well live in China.

Just my view - I can understand people thinking they are spoiling moral, and other fans pleasure, but they have paid to get in. Real Madrid fans wave white hankies to indicate they have had enough.

When I watched Wimbledon, in the Vinny Jones era , I only encountered booing once, when it was a draw at half time as the players walked off ( against Barnsley) , The team came out second half and scored 4. It can work.

Edited by Laurence

An article in the Daily Record regarding Butcher's 'rant', and what clubs in general could be doing to attract the fans. Some good points raised but nothing really new.

It would be great having a dedicated club shop of sorts - with a city centre presence. We're a one club city - yet two of our rivals have prominent stores in our city centre.

Aye, the ' ugly sisters' have a lot to answer for...and are, frankly, the root of the problem for all clubs bemoaning the lack of supporters turning up.

Of course this subject was covered at the weekend on BBC Scotland radio and one of the pundits trotted out the line about how well C*unty have been doing with attendances compared to us. It was then revealed by the wassock spouting this drivel that they had got most of this from Uncle Roy OTB. Surprise surprise.

Some good stats have been posted on this site not all that long ago to show average attendances in the SPL over the last few years, and also for our average attendances as compared to Caley and Thistle in the HL days. Made for interesting comparisons and it would seem we are not along in seeing a general fall in attendances.

We have to realise that we live in the digital age. When I started taking an interest in football, there was no such thing as a 5th TV channel - let alone dedicated sports channels beamed directly to your 52" LCD TV! There is so much more to capture the attention of people nowadays that it will forever be a struggle in a cold and damp wee country to encourage people to leave the warmth and comfort of their home or local hostelry to go stand in a stadium and watch it live, when they could be watching it on screen with reverse angles and replays to show the goal / foul / controversial incident ad nauseum. And that's assuming they are not watching Spanish league of course.

For one I think our attendances are not so bad, when compared to others with much larger and concentrated populations that are served with a much better transport infrastructure as well. Could always be better of course!

• Agree 3

It would be great having a dedicated club shop of sorts - with a city centre presence. We're a one club city - yet two of our rivals have prominent stores in our city centre.

Aye, the ' ugly sisters' have a lot to answer for...and are, frankly, the root of the problem for all clubs bemoaning the lack of supporters turning up.

The reality is that there is insufficient demand for products to make a permanent shop commercially viable.

"Targeted" stalls within the Eastgate is about the best which can be expected.

It would be an idea however to have new strips launched within the Eastgate for example instead of it being simply launched by a picture in the local newspapers.

Of course this subject was covered at the weekend on BBC Scotland radio and one of the pundits trotted out the line about how well C*unty have been doing with attendances compared to us. It was then revealed by the wassock spouting this drivel that they had got most of this from Uncle Roy OTB. Surprise surprise.

Some good stats have been posted on this site not all that long ago to show average attendances in the SPL over the last few years, and also for our average attendances as compared to Caley and Thistle in the HL days. Made for interesting comparisons and it would seem we are not along in seeing a general fall in attendances.

And County will see a similar fall if they remain in the SPL. I already know of a couple of people who are almost certain not to renew their season tickets for their second season in the top flight.

Terry and co need to look at the bigger picture in Inverness. Putting aside "refusniks" as they are now pretty much irrelevant in this,the historical element of football supporters in Sneck following a HL team but having a "proper big team" will take  at least 2 generations to filter out. In my own street, immediate neebors are both indigenous Invernessians, one Celtic and one Jambo,myself,a Dee in the middle and after that next 2 neebors are also incomers, one Arsenal ,one Sevco. So, out of 5 households taken at random, all with keen football supporters in them, NONE follow the local team,despite ICT currently being FAR more successful than all but one of our chosen teams.Why does Terry think we don't don our winter woolies and  fork out £25 to watch ICT V Killie on a wet Wednesday night with Champions league free on telly?,because we "don't deserve it" !! No Terry, the only folk you get to with these comments are the hard core loyal troops already attending, and are more likely to alienate them than encourage us "non deservers" to attend. Supporting local football is bred in from a young age and loyalty to a club and value for money entertainment  are what take supporters back time again to watch what is now massively overpriced in it's market,(not to mention the over policing and stewarding,crap catering etc) most teams are very fortunate to still be getting the numbers they do when all things are taken into consideration and clubs need to market and sell the product far better than they do currently and give fans a sense of being part of the club to induce real loyalty.Whats the answer?, Fecked if i know, but irritating the hard core you already have on board sure aint the way to do it. 

• Agree 1

Vinny would have gone in to the stands and tawtted the cnuts !!

The fans used to sing at Kineer , Joey Joey give us a wave?. If he didn't , They sang " You fat bar steward " , or similar

I wonder how Butcher would react to that?

• Agree 1

And County will see a similar fall if they remain in the SPL. I already know of a couple of people who are almost certain not to renew their season tickets for their second season in the top flight.

Cownty already get far less than we did when we arrived back home in Jan 2005, despite uncle Roy exaggerating everything, and that can only get worse as the novelty wears off.

As for ourselves, a look back at 2009-10 in div 1 shows that our hard core support was about the same as it is now. 2700 on a poor day and about 3600 on a good day, excluding derbies and clashes with Dundee etc.

Maybe someone should explain to TB (talks bollox) that the reason nobody goes to the games is the fact most people in Inverness find the existence of this club a total disgrace. Someone should tell him the team he manages was formed against the will of the vast majority of true Caledonian fans and that's why the only people desperate enough to follow them are incomers to the town and menopausal fat women. ICT could be around for 200 years and they'd never recreate the atmosphere and history of the mighty Caledonian fc and any former fans of Caley who disagree with me should hang their heads in shame.

Any relation of Brian Kavs Bobby?

Average crowds of 4000 might be disappointing by SPL standards but hey... Inverness in the SPL with memories of playing Lossiemouth, Rothes, Fort William in front of a few hundred now distant, albeit warmly nostalgic, memories.

Interesting how the anti m****r contingent seem to have awarded themselves a monopoly of the moral high ground for the last 20 years though.

Cownty already get far less than we did when we arrived back home in Jan 2005, despite uncle Roy exaggerating everything, and that can only get worse as the novelty wears off.

As for ourselves, a look back at 2009-10 in div 1 shows that our hard core support was about the same as it is now. 2700 on a poor day and about 3600 on a good day, excluding derbies and clashes with Dundee etc.

I actually did a few sums (remember them Mantis :lol: ?) on this the other day and as things stand at the moment, Ross County's average home league attendance for this season is maybe something like 50 below ICT's.

HOWEVER - ICT have had one Highland derby (6766) and two visits of Celtic(6100 and 6175). Ross County have had no Highland derbies and one visit of Celtic (6100) so that's two 6000+ crowds still to come in there. Make allowance for that and County's underlying average, comparing like with like, is maybe about 300 better. The other consideration may be that the TCS is a lot larger, has already attracted one crowd which is larger than VP's capacity and there may be a second on March 16th.

HEATH WARNING - this is merely an objective statement of numerical fact which makes no value judgments and none should be inferred from it!

Tree... you are beginning to sound in this debate dangerously like one of these anti m****r people who invite sweeping generalisations based on a very limited ration of highly anecdotal evidence which itself may even include a bit of wishful thinking. :smile:

Tree... you are beginning to sound in this debate dangerously like one of these anti m****r people who invite sweeping generalisations based on a very limited ration of highly anecdotal evidence which itself may even include a bit of wishful thinking. :smile:

But there is a certain novelty factor with reaching the SPL.

I did some sums in the past and  I think every single  SPL clubs attendance figures dipped in their 2nd season, except for 2 clubs  one being Livvy when they finished 3rd  and Falkirk and that covers all the SPL seasons

Edited by The Fly
Fixed quote/new post error

12th man.... your post #46 "quotes" me as saying something which I most certainly did not say (compare this with what I actually did say in posts 44 and 45). Quotes are sacrosanct and MUST NEVER be changed or, in thie case worse still - invented.

MODS - can I please ask you to remove post #46 since it has content which has apparently been deliberately corrupted. That in my book is something which needs to be taken very seriously.