Inverness Royal Academy of Olde

Another Caddy Hot Spot but can't recall the petrol pump

The petrol pump will be from MacKenzie and MacPherson's garage at the other side of the top of Raining's Stairs which closed in about 1980 when alastair MacPherson and Dunc MacKenzie retired. The stable building which housed the garage is still there and shops (a hairdresser's is on the corner) went into the forecourt. The premises we are looking at began life as Dr Raining's School and which eventually becvame a youth club before it was demolished to become the car park.

I wonder how many flats Tulloch's will get in that space :ohmy:

It's a cracking photo! To be honest, if the place was made into flats I would seriously consider getting one - not so much for the sake of living in premises where I spent six very happy years but in order to get a lot closer to the city centre than I am now.

Aye, terribly sad for all concerned, and for Inverness. Ironically, that photo's taken in Queensgate, itself victim to an horrific fire some years ago.

There have been a few city centre fires over the years. Before this there was the Eastgate Hostel and indeed the Queensgate Hotel and back in the 60s the Methodist Church in Union Street (where the 147 club now is) went up in flames which meant that the Church had to meet in the La Scala.

What that was like for fleas on a Sunday morning after a full house on a Saturday night is anyone's guess.