The Big Scottish Independence Debate

Laurence

Sometimes you just need to man up and do the right thing.

Ultimately when you do boil it down it is, I feel, just that - a choice between wrong and right.

That's just my opinion/feeling, I know the no brigade will take offence to that, it's not meant to cause offence.

Besides my vote's already cast - maybe I should keep out of it!

Not at all KB, keep trying to persuade people. It is the right thing and most people know that inside, and some just need a little nudge or persuasion. We can do this!!

• Agree 1

I wouldn't normally agree with the notion of trying to persuade others but the  information being fed to people via the mainstream media is so one sided I think people have to do so and are right to do so.

On that note I do think that the validity and reputation of the MSM has been tarnished permanently.  I wonder how things will be in this regard after the vote.

• Agree 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29057534

Anyone remember the last scottish hostage?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Linda_Norgrove

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/13/linda-norgrove-us-commando-disciplinary

Where was the sas?

Only a dumb american thinking "durr Im gunna throw ma boom potato on a rescue mission heh"

Edited by Ayeseetee

If cameron wants to start bombing iraq he better have the balls to do it before the 18th...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/11069129/UK-could-join-American-air-strikes-in-Iraq-and-Syria-warns-David-Cameron.html

"The Prime Minister said he will re-examine the possibility of Britain launching military strikes in Iraq and Syria after calls for action by Conservative backbenchers. He compared the crisis to the one faced in Libya in 2011, when he launched air strikes against Col Muammar Gaddafi."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/britains-cameron-faces-growing-calls-to-join-the-us-in-bombing-iraq/2014/08/11/036a5311-fa50-4a2e-b205-3ebbed16015a_story.html

"Former British military leaders, meanwhile, said that airstrikes may not be enough and that Western powers may ultimately be forced to put boots on the ground.

“There need to be continuing airstrikes well targeted, and we may need to put some people on the ground to direct that quite accurately,” Richard Dannatt, a former British army chief"

Edited by Ayeseetee

I wouldn't normally agree with the notion of trying to persuade others but the  information being fed to people via the mainstream media is so one sided I think people have to do so and are right to do so.

On that note I do think that the validity and reputation of the MSM has been tarnished permanently.  I wonder how things will be in this regard after the vote.

It's all about information, some people don't have access to anything other than the unionist propaganda fed to them by the MSM. Keep on gently persuading, every vote counts.

The UK is the 14th most corrupt country

Aye OK, presumably you are excluding all of Africa, Asia and South America!

Regarding the things in your second last para, some of it stinks but it happens everywhere and will happen in Scotland too, unless you restrict people's freedom to move jobs which would of course be illegal.

Excluding from where? African, Asian and South American countries are in the 177.......just more corrupt than the UK.unless you want to include Singapore in the Asian countries.  UK is one point less corrupt than Hong Kong and Barbados, 2 points less corrupt than Japan and 3 points less corrupt than the USA and Uruguay. Botswana is 11 points more corrupt than the UK.........and the UK is 15 points more corrupt than Denmark.

But in an independent Scotland, setting up a constitution etc from scratch, pretty much........we will have a chance of doing something about it.....in Westminster there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of them voting to derail the gravy train.  We won't stop corruption, because human greed and self-interest is human greed and self interest........but we can make it that they don't get to hang on in the job until they,or their party, decides they have to go....as we will be able to recall them.  ..and they will not have laws which apply to us and not to them.....so if they commit fraud they get taken to court, and if jailed, lose the same as someone sacked for proven gross misconduct loses..their job, their pension etc.

A politician is a person in a paid job like anyone else.....and should be subject to the same type of employment contract, restrictions, misconduct penalties and all, as anyone who works for an employer. 

• Agree 1

Aha, I was confused by your points and league table but I've now worked out that you mean we are actually the 14th LEAST corrupt country in the world, presumably based on this perception index:

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2013/results

As for dishonest politicians, string'em up.

So after over a thousand posts, I think we've found something we can agree on!  :bighug:

Thanks for clarifying that.  What this means is that despite Oddquine's outrage about the alleged corruptness of the British political and financial system, we are actually one of the least corrupt nations in the world.  And the YES campaigners want to split from the union with the rest of the UK and join in a union with a hotch potch of other European countries who are mostly seen as more corrupt than Britain.

The unionists have finally arrived at a dead end, repeating the same hollow scare stories, only by this stage people have found them out and are waking up to the vision of hope, responsibility, prosperity, and self-determination that is in our hands.

There is no longer any argument--it's just a question of people being bold and wise enough to do the right thing.

• Agree 3

So long as there's money there will be corruption. That aside what are my reasons for voting YES?

We will be one of the wealthiest nations in the world.

We will continue to enjoy free education for our children and grandchildren.

We will provide a better life for our elderly.

We will support and promote small business.

We will provide free childcare for all over one year old.

We will have a strong and caring NHS.

We will have a government thats closer to the people.

Scotland is one of the very lucky countries of the world. We have phenominal natural resources. We have the ability to provide hydro electrical power for ourselves and others. Coupled with that we are at the forefront of wind, wave and tidal research and development. We have oil and gas and we provide many other countries with the technology and expertise for their own oil and gas development. We also export expertise in construction and mining. We have a wealth of food and drink production and export. We have a further education system thats second to none. We educate around 45,000 foriegn students a year.

As an independant nation we will have the ability to promote our country and its people and we will prosper. This vote is not about who's in government. Its about the type of government we want. A government of the people for the people. A government accountable to the nation. This is the chance to go forward. To look forward. The world is watching us. Lets make the world want to be us. Vote YES for prosperity. Vote NO for austerity.

• Agree 5

I think it was Tommy Sheridan who said it best, to paraphrase him it went along the lines of  'On the 18th of September, between 7am and 10pm, Scottish people will be free and sovereign, not for the firs ttime in 2 years, not for the first time in 15 years, not for the first time in 300 years but for the first time in history.  It's up to us if we want to keep it after 10.01pm or lose it forever.'

• Agree 1

Has anyone got a working irony detector mine just blew up when I reading this from the daily mail....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2745565/Savage-racism-turning-Scotland-no-zone-English.html

Also Murdoch *cringe* Gave a big hint that tomorrows poll is going to be very close!

https://twitter.com/rupertmurdoch/status/508271651235299328

Edited by Ayeseetee

I'm really wishing I'd stuck some money on when Yes was 6/1, thought it looked very generous even back then, but never got round to it.

With a hefty stake, the winnings might have helped cover a year's worth of:

- the higher income tax rates

- the higher mortgage interest rates

- the higher cost of food, drink, clothing etc

that will arise.