The "Signed Up For Next Season" Thread

Renegade

I actually think the next best signature should be Antonio Reguero. With Essen this season we have won just one game. Antonio should be our next priority I hope along with Owen and Dave the Rave. Both Antonio and Dave have benefited from ICT's great history at rehabilitating players careers.

Assuming the Soccerbase stats to be correct I've compiled a comparisson of both keepers. Last weeks County game is excluded because both keepers are credited with it.

Tony, Played 20. Wins 11. Draws 6. Shutouts 6

Ryan, Played 17. Wins 1. Draws 10. Shutouts 3

Ryan has been very good for us but his injury this season is puting doubt in my mind that he can sustain No1 next season. I do, however, see him as a good standby and help to the No1 choice and I think Tony is just coming onto top form now and we should try and keep him as the No1 with Ryan there to keep him tip top.

These stats are meaningless.  They don't mean that Reguero was responsible for all the wins when he played, nor that Esson was responsible for all the defeats when he played. Esson has deservedly been number one for two or three seasons, and in my eyes should retain this position next season. I still hope we can retain Reguero though, but as a great back up for Esson.

Edited by Caley Mad In Berks
  • Agree 1

Really? While I agree partly with what you say, the fact that there are twice as many clean sheets would suggest that there was a significant contribution by Reguero, and we have all seen his shot-stopping ability being tested many times in this season. The team-mates before him have been very similar to Ryan's, and especially the defence which has been very stable as compared to last season.

Ryan has certainly served the club well and in my eyes he has been one of our heroes over the last few years, but Tony is as good a keeper at this time if not slightly holding the edge. I thought it was a shame that he was dropped so quickly for Ryan to return and it looks as if that decision may have been a little hasty considering what happened at the derby match.

Tony for me, until the end of the season.

Edited by FoolPhysio
  • Agree 1

I dont think Esson was put back into the team cos Reguero was performing poorly. Esson returning to the team correlates with the time Foran was out injured. I think Esson was reinstated as a source of leadership and experience, he also captained the team during that time. Butcher's never chopped and changed goalkeepers that much so when Foran returned i think he just kept it going for the sake of stability, just unfortunate that Esson got injured again.

I think both of them are pretty equal qualitywise, Reguero probably edges it cos we had our best form with him between the sticks but its probably the most tricky choice in terms of team selection for me.

IMO it is very important to have David  Raven as well as Tony on board next season; David has come on leaps and bounds throughout the season and is one player that I believe will achieve so much for us as time goes by. 

Really it is a pity we cannot keep the whole squad together, they gel together so well and the team spirit is noticeably higher than the last few seasons. It would be wonderful for this team to pit themselves against Euro opposition as I think they would thrive at the challenge, so fingers crossed for second spot.   :ictscarf:

• Agree 2

Raven has been one of our most consistent players this season, never thought id say that a month into the season. Would definitely be next on my list, hes become an integral part of the backline.

• Agree 1

I think if we have to persist with ryan in goal then certainly gallacher would keep him on his toes for sure.

Am sure cardle caused us heeps of problems in dunfermlines relegation season so he to could be a useful acquisition.

I think if we have to persist with ryan in goal then certainly gallacher would keep him on his toes for sure.

Am sure cardle caused us heeps of problems in dunfermlines relegation season so he to could be a useful acquisition.

He's signed over the bridge.

I don't normally have a go at the club but if they push Toni out of the door I will not be happy. He does not want to leave and would love the opportunity to play in Europe with ICT.

The defence is undoubtedly more confident with him behind them and nothing whatsoever against Ryan but Toni has been better this season.

He feels TB the club have given up on keeping him.

He is not asking the world for wages or contract length and if we allow him to go to Kilmarnock without a fight I will be genuinely disappointed in the club he has been a revelation and should be a star for the future.

I normally avoid negative sentiments but this has been irritating me for a couple of weeks.

Look at how he reacted after the game at Hibs and tell me that his passion isn't evident.

I don't normally have a go at the club but if they push Toni out of the door I will not be happy. He does not want to leave and would love the opportunity to play in Europe with ICT.

The defence is undoubtedly more confident with him behind them and nothing whatsoever against Ryan but Toni has been better this season.

He feels TB the club have given up on keeping him.

He is not asking the world for wages or contract length and if we allow him to go to Kilmarnock without a fight I will be genuinely disappointed in the club he has been a revelation and should be a star for the future.

I normally avoid negative sentiments but this has been irritating me for a couple of weeks.

Look at how he reacted after the game at Hibs and tell me that his passion isn't evident.

It is bizarre cos he looked delighted at the end but ICT have already offered him a contract. It looks like he has gone to Killie for the money

Guest Mahonio

I don't see what the problem is, if Toni leaves, he leaves, doesn't make any difference if he was offered a good deal or not, at least at Kilmarnock he will get 1st team football, unlike at us where he would effectively be number 2.

He is replaceable anyway, some people just like to have a girn at nothing!!!

I know but they offered him a contract, he rejected it

He hasn't rejected it (as far as we know), he's just in talks with Killie.

The fact he's big friends with Borja Perez is probably a defining factor for him going there as well I reckon.