The "Signed Up For Next Season" Thread

Renegade

122px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngGKRyan Esson

222px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngDFDavid Raven

322px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngDFGraeme Shinnie

522px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngDFGary Warren

722px-Ulster_banner.svg.pngFWBilly McKay

822px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngMFRoss Draper

922px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.pngMFRichie Foran (club captain)

1122px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngMFNick Ross

1422px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngDFJosh Meekings

1722px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.pngMFAaron Doran

2122px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngMFLiam Polworth  

2222px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.pngMFConor Pepper

2722px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.pngDFDaniel Devine

3222px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngDFMatthew Cooper

3722px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngFWCalum Ferguson

3822px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngMFRyan Christie

-22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngMFJay Cheyne

-22px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.pngMFAdam Evans

-22px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngMFBen Greenhalgh

-22px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngMFJames Vincent

-22px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngMFDanny Williams

With Reguero away, we currently have a squad of entirely British Isles players.

Edited by Sneckboy

122px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngGKRyan Esson

222px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngDFDavid Raven

322px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngDFGraeme Shinnie

522px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngDFGary Warren

722px-Ulster_banner.svg.pngFWBilly McKay

822px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngMFRoss Draper

922px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.pngMFRichie Foran (club captain)

1122px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngMFNick Ross

1422px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngDFJosh Meekings

1722px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.pngMFAaron Doran

2122px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngMFLiam Polworth

2222px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.pngMFConor Pepper

2722px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.pngDFDaniel Devine

3222px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngDFMatthew Cooper

3722px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngFWCalum Ferguson

3822px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngMFRyan Christie

-22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngMFJay Cheyne

-22px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.pngMFAdam Evans

-22px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngMFBen Greenhalgh

-22px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngMFJames Vincent

-22px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngMFDanny Williams

With Reguero away, we currently have a squad of entirely British Isles players.

Only having 3 established Scottish players does dishearten me a little though.  But if the English and Irish boys are good enough then you can't really complain.

Apologies for the poor graphic I posted - it didn't appear as it showed in the 'preview'! Anyway, the 8 Scottish boys in our squad are all from the North - it's good to have that local element within the squad.

Esson, Cheyne and Shinnie are from Aberdeen.

Polworth, Christie, Ross and Ferguson are from Inverness.

Cooper's from Macduff.

Seems to be confusion about Vincents move, Highland News says he hasnt signed but i believe the P and J have an interview with him about signing.

While the Republic of Ireland is independent and not part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the island of Ireland is one of the islands that make up "The British Isles".  

In the same way if Scotland gets independence, it would be still be part of the British Isles, but not part of the UK. 

• Agree 1

Exactly, it's geographical and not political.  Now try explaining to people that the Great in Britain just means Big, and is there to distinguish us from Brittany (Little Britain).  So many assume it is something to do with the Empire.

Exactly, it's geographical and not political.  Now try explaining to people that the Great in Britain just means Big, and is there to distinguish us from Brittany (Little Britain).  So many assume it is something to do with the Empire.

Thanks for the lesson Starchief, I always thought it was the alternative that you just debunked.

Libya can be kicked out of the African Union (political) but can never be kicked out of Africa (geographical).  Likewise, Alaska was once not part of the United States of America but has always been part of America.  Renegade got it right.  There's no political union called the British Isles.  Ireland is located in the geographical area called the British Isles but the Falklands are not, despite being a British Territory.

In addition, the biggest island of the British Isles is Great Britain which is the island on which most of us, including Charles and Lawrence both live.  In the event of a "yes " vote in the referendum, they will still be able to call themselves British by virtue of the fact that they live on Great Britain. 

The lack of Scottish players in our squad is deeply worrying and before I get accused of being a County fan yet again I include County's squad as well

Ok it maybe reflects the state of Scottish football but ourselves and County should be concentrating on signing home grown players primarily with the odd Jonny foreigner thrown in and not the other way about

Dougal

The lack of Scottish players in our squad is deeply worrying and before I get accused of being a County fan yet again I include County's squad as well

Ok it maybe reflects the state of Scottish football but ourselves and County should be concentrating on signing home grown players primarily with the odd Jonny foreigner thrown in and not the other way about

Dougal

I think in that sense we still have less to worry about than c*unty

Dougal

County fan type post imo.

• Agree 4

maybe the reason there are more english players than scots is that theres 6 million scots and 53 million englsih folk?? in the uk? and maybe there are more engish players to choose from?

Edited by lukemackay
  • Agree 1

maybe the reason there are more english players than scots is that theres 6 million scots and 53 million englsih folk?? in the uk? and maybe there are more engish players to choose from?

I read an article the other day regarding the effect all the overseas players were having on the English game and there are now far fewer English players than ever playing in the top English leagues.  What that means is that there are some pretty decent English players who are finding it harder and harder to find a club in England above conference level.   The top Scottish players will naturally want to play in the big money leagues down south and with less money in the Scottish game to attract overseas players,  there is a bit more scope for the next level of Scottish players to sign up for the richer Scottish clubs.  Given the population reasons Luke mentions, there really aren't that many decent Scottish players around.  It therefore makes sense to trawl the English market and it seems to me that ICT are doing that pretty successfully at the moment.

• Agree 1

Dougal

How can we do this?

1) Good young players are being picked up by lower league English teams and offered many times the salary we can offer - if someone offers you 2,3,4 times your salary would you not consider moving?

2) All lower league chairmen look at their young players as assets and want to cash in, and sadly we have no cash to buy so again its off to Englandshire.

3) There is a perception in Scotland (even more than elsewhere in the uk) that Inverness is the back of nowhere and players just dont want to move up here based on geography and would rather stay central belt or go down south

4) We dont want to be paying high salaries to journeymen Scots just to fill the numbers, when we can sign young, developing talent for less from elsewhere.

• Agree 1

Id be very intrigued to hear how many local (to Inverness), home grown players are playing at a standard of Scottish Division 1 or better. I honestly think that getting a full team out of said players would be almost impossible so for two North teams to field numerous local players is just wishful thinking. Unfortunately the north of Scotland is just not a area of the country renowned for producing talented footballers in any great numbers.

Back onto the original topic, both the P&J and Inverness Courier are reporting that James Vincents transfer involves no fee as it is a cross country/border transfer.

By the sounds of it some more news on signings is likely next week with contracts of players down south expiring