The "Signed Up For Next Season" Thread

Renegade

Yes, great players are signing up to stay longer. But...football seems to run differently from any other normal business. Any 'contract' a player signs can easily be 'broken' by another employer coming in and taking them. This euphoria, celebrating players/managers signing deals is ill informed. Just because a certain player has signed until 2015 doesn't mean he'll be playing for the club until then. Money talks, it's that simple. The days of having the same guy at right-back for 6 seasons are long gone. Nowadays its one season mercenaries or loanees. If, Billy McKay got offered the chance to treble his salary at say, Huddersfield, he would go, contracted to Inverness or not. Sorry if this comes over as negative, but I get constantly annoyed at people thinking that footballers' 'contracts' actually mean anything, other than to themselves.

I've got some chips if you want to widdle on them?

You seem to be ignoring the fact that when they are under contract, if they are going to go then the contract holders have the right of getting some money for relinquishing it early. We are not so daft that we think they are bound inexorably into the club until the end of the contract period, but we are more relieved that they have stated a commitment towards ICT for now and that they are not just going to up and disappear immediately should an offer be touted or be actively looking for a new club to ply their trade.

• Agree 1

Yes, great players are signing up to stay longer. But...football seems to run differently from any other normal business. Any 'contract' a player signs can easily be 'broken' by another employer coming in and taking them. This euphoria, celebrating players/managers signing deals is ill informed. Just because a certain player has signed until 2015 doesn't mean he'll be playing for the club until then. Money talks, it's that simple. The days of having the same guy at right-back for 6 seasons are long gone. Nowadays its one season mercenaries or loanees. If, Billy McKay got offered the chance to treble his salary at say, Huddersfield, he would go, contracted to Inverness or not. Sorry if this comes over as negative, but I get constantly annoyed at people thinking that footballers' 'contracts' actually mean anything, other than to themselves.

I know what you are saying but if they leave (dont think they will) we will now get money for them which is a big bonus

Yes, great players are signing up to stay longer. But...football seems to run differently from any other normal business. Any 'contract' a player signs can easily be 'broken' by another employer coming in and taking them. This euphoria, celebrating players/managers signing deals is ill informed. Just because a certain player has signed until 2015 doesn't mean he'll be playing for the club until then. Money talks, it's that simple. The days of having the same guy at right-back for 6 seasons are long gone. Nowadays its one season mercenaries or loanees. If, Billy McKay got offered the chance to treble his salary at say, Huddersfield, he would go, contracted to Inverness or not. Sorry if this comes over as negative, but I get constantly annoyed at people thinking that footballers' 'contracts' actually mean anything, other than to themselves.

Contracts at least don't always mean free transfers. Maximise your assets me tinks is the approach both now and when there is an approach. Good to see and I think the majority will agree.

As stated already, players can only move if the club accept payment for the remainder of their contract.

However, I don't think that's the point here...the point is we now have some of our most influential players stating that they WANT to be here by signing extensions.  Just as important is the fact that there's others who are stating that they WANT new contracts.

You then have the cherry on the top with a manager who refused (substantially) more money to go manage elsewhere and who is positively talking about what he is going to do with his guys next season.

How/Why anyone would see that as a negative and choose to try and put a dampener on it is beyond me.  I'm not naive and I appreciate that there's the potential for offers to come in for players...but I'd far rather we were in the position we are where offers would HAVE to be made, than in a position where players were looking for pre-contracts for next season and/or walking away for nothing!!!

• Agree 5

So we now have our back bone for next season sorted. With Esson, Meekings, Warren, Draper, Mckay, Foran and Graeme Shinnie all signed, if Tudor Jones, Raven, Devine, and Doran sign, id say we are in a great position for next season given the quality there, and the fact these lads have played together whereas other clubs will be bringing in new players for next season who wont have played at this level before, and wont know the league, it could also give us a head start on the rest of the league. ict for the league 2013/14 :crazy: 

• Agree 2

As stated already, players can only move if the club accept payment for the remainder of their contract.

However, I don't think that's the point here...the point is we now have some of our most influential players stating that they WANT to be here by signing extensions.  Just as important is the fact that there's others who are stating that they WANT new contracts.

You then have the cherry on the top with a manager who refused (substantially) more money to go manage elsewhere and who is positively talking about what he is going to do with his guys next season.

How/Why anyone would see that as a negative and choose to try and put a dampener on it is beyond me.  I'm not naive and I appreciate that there's the potential for offers to come in for players...but I'd far rather we were in the position we are where offers would HAVE to be made, than in a position where players were looking for pre-contracts for next season and/or walking away for nothing!!!

I think if you read between the lines of what Butcher was saying in his interview, other clubs were interested in McKay (some of whom I would presume would be more prominent names), yet McKay himself decided he wanted to stick around for even longer.

Is it really such a hard decision for players like McKay? I dont think there are many players who've come here that haven't found the area and the club to be a very enjoyable experience. The ones that dont want to stay are usually those who've been brought up on central belt football and who prefer the bright lights and ignorant beings of big city life to the relaxation and friendliness of the more rural setting.

• Agree 2

Agreed with LukeyLuke. The spine of the team is more or less there. A few more signatures away from having more or less the whole team signed up. Continuity has been the key to our success in the past but has been more difficult to sustain in recent years therefore its incredibly pleasing to see this business getting done. If more of the lads do sign up which i hope they will then it could be a quiet summer on TCS...in this day and age thats rare.  :ictscarf:

Edited by ajsict92

If we win a European place then it will be an early start to the season and we will need to be at our best if we are to get through one or even two rounds.  The more of the current squad we can retain the better the chance of this so recent contract signings are really good news.  Hopefully they, and the prospect of a wee European adventure will persuade other key players to sign up for at least another year.  There is the makings of a team that could come a clear 2nd next season.

• Agree 1

I think Doran should be next up.  No-one else can provide that width. He won't score as much as Hayes but he's more interested in crossing than Hayes.  We' struggle to get someone that fulfills his role.  He's key to the team.  Without him, it's probably route one.

• Agree 1

Agreed with LukeyLuke. The spine of the team is more or less there. A few more signatures away from having more or less the whole team signed up. Continuity has been the key to our success in the past but has been more difficult to sustain in recent years therefore its incredibly pleasing to see this business getting done. If more of the lads do sign up which i hope they will then it could be a quiet summer on TCS...in this day and age thats rare.  :ictscarf:

Its beginning to show now but our current form could be down to a lack of depth in the squad. I would guess that along with the majority of the regulars in the 1st team will be staying on, Terry will be adding maybe 6 or 7 new players to the team during the summer to create more competition for places which is something we do lack right now. Currently only the goalkeeper and central defence positions are the areas which have serious competition for a starting 11.

6 or 7 is well down on previous summers which will be welcome and though less should be enough to freshen up the squad. I would expect a couple of popular players to move on in the summer Andy Shinnie being one, but then even that would give an opportunity for someone else currently in the team to step up.

So as things stand:

Signed up till the end of season 2013-14:

• Ryan Esson
  • Richie Foran
  • Ross Draper
  • Conor Pepper

(Butcher and Malpas are also in this category)

Signed up till the end of season 2014-15:

• Josh Meekings 
  • Nick Ross  
  • Gary Warren
  • Graeme Shinnie
  • Billy McKay
  • Daniel Devine

Joining next season:

• Ben Greenhalgh

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The following players are out of contract at the end of this season:

• Andrew Shinnie
  • David Raven
  • Owain Tudur Jones
  • Antonio Reguero
  • Simon King
  • Aaron Doran
  • Shane Sutherland
  • Gavin Morrison
  • Chris Hogg

Loan deals expire at the end of this season:

• Charlie Taylor
  • Philip Roberts
  • Jordan Gibbons

Deals unknown:

• Scott Mathieson
  • Martin Laing
  • Liam Polworth
  • Matthew Cooper

Doran would be top of my list too.

Reading between the lines in the P&J today doesn't seem like OTJ sounds overly keen to hang around, hope the story is inaccurate.

Could be a million and one reasons why Owain's contract talks arent advanced, he might want longer than 1 year given the season he has had but with his history of injuries we might not be prepared to offer more than 1...might not be able to afford his wages etc etc. Wouldnt dismiss it as him wanting a move away already.

I actually think the next best signature should be Antonio Reguero. With Essen this season we have won just one game. Antonio should be our next priority I hope along with Owen and Dave the Rave. Both Antonio and Dave have benefited from ICT's great history at rehabilitating players careers.

• Agree 2

Reguero report today, albeit in the Sun, seems to confirm our theory that Antonio is heading to Kilmarnock.

I dont see that Sun article as confirming anything. Tony has been offered an extension with us. He's been offered a pre-contract at Killie. He has not come out and said what his choices are. Lets leave all the speculation to the press and get on with supporting who we have at present.

I honestly believe that our position in the league come end of season will determine whether folks stay or go. Second place is very possible and the prize very high. That could determine what we are able to offer players for next season and / or who we can bring in.

• Agree 1

I actually think the next best signature should be Antonio Reguero. With Essen this season we have won just one game. Antonio should be our next priority I hope along with Owen and Dave the Rave. Both Antonio and Dave have benefited from ICT's great history at rehabilitating players careers.

Assuming the Soccerbase stats to be correct I've compiled a comparisson of both keepers. Last weeks County game is excluded because both keepers are credited with it.

Tony, Played 20. Wins 11. Draws 6. Shutouts 6

Ryan, Played 17. Wins 1. Draws 10. Shutouts 3

Ryan has been very good for us but his injury this season is puting doubt in my mind that he can sustain No1 next season. I do, however, see him as a good standby and help to the No1 choice and I think Tony is just coming onto top form now and we should try and keep him as the No1 with Ryan there to keep him tip top.

• Agree 1