Scotty

It's not often you lose but yet can say it's been a good weekend - but I think that's a fair summary of this weekend.  Getting anything out of the Celtic game would have been a huge bonus, but for none of the 3 teams behind us to win is a real boost.  With 4 games to go we are 4 points clear and have Celtic out of the way. 

It is very much in our own hands and depending on how other results go, wins in our next 2 games could have a European place secured with 2 games still to go.  But even if we only drew our matches with the 3 below us and lost to Motherwell and if Celtic beat the 3 below us, then the best any of them could do would be for St Johnstone to match our points tally.  Looking at it from St Johnstone's perspective, they really have to beat us next week.  I'll be happy with a draw - but a win for us would be nice!

I know he is popular with many site regulars but I will say it again, sorry but OTJ has been mince since the Jan break. Doesn't pick anyone up, jogs around the mid area with no real purpose. Him and Ritchie were worse than a man short today. Apart from Draper with his forward runs, our midfield was posted missing yet again today. Again poor passing gave the ball away so easily to Celtic time and again. We need a holding midfield player who can at least find a blue shirt with a pass otherwise the front guys won't get in amongst the goals again.

I didn't expect a win today but I am so frustrated at our standard recently as we have been so much better. 'Well could seriously dent the goal difference if we don't get ourselves going.

Only positive was the other result and Josh Meekings getting recognition as YP of the Month as he has been our best player for weeks now.

• Agree 1

Well money talks !        A Celtic side, in the second half that, that showed pure class in stages with outstanding goals to boot. 

How can some of you posters slam the players and manager that has taken us further than we have ever gone before. I know you will say you are just giving positive and fair criticism ! but you are not. You are slagging them off to put  forward your own unprofessional opinions trying to prove yourselves as the I know better than they do brigade.

We were defeated today by the league champions who have a squad of enormous proportions and capabilities far greater than our own. No shame in that !

Well done ICT you held them well 'till they eventually made the breakthrough. I'm proud of you guys and I hope we do make Europe you deserve to.

In my opinion Neil Lennon with all the resources behind him could only feel ashamed if Celtic didn't win the league, He can smile now but shouldn't feel he has achieved greatness, next season could find him biting his nails again.

edited to say well done Doran, a consolation maybe but a goal all the same !

Edited by bughtmaster
  • Agree 4

I know he is popular with many site regulars but I will say it again, sorry but OTJ has been mince since the Jan break. Doesn't pick anyone up, jogs around the mid area with no real purpose. Him and Ritchie were worse than a man short today. Apart from Draper with his forward runs, our midfield was posted missing yet again today. Again poor passing gave the ball away so easily to Celtic time and again. We need a holding midfield player who can at least find a blue shirt with a pass otherwise the front guys won't get in amongst the goals again.

I didn't expect a win today but I am so frustrated at our standard recently as we have been so much better. 'Well could seriously dent the goal difference if we don't get ourselves going.

Only positive was the other result and Josh Meekings getting recognition as YP of the Month as he has been our best player for weeks now.

Funny how you see the game differently if you go to the game in person. I'm assuming you didn't? We all thought OTJ was one of our best today along with Josh!

When Celtic scored their first you just knew it was game over. Was always going to be a near impossible task tbh. The guys did their best as far as I could see but it wasn't enough and to be honest Celtic were better than us in the second half.

Not too despondent as we are still 3rd. Other results went ok for us this weekend and its up to our guys at St J next week.

We are having a red and blue away day so hope as many folk can travel as able.

• Agree 1

No real damage done. Beat Saints, beat OTB and the others can do what they like, even beat Celtic, DU and Well, and will remain behind us even if we should lose 0-10 to both Well and DU. I know, some here dreamt of 2nd, but Well are the stronger team.

OTJ did well enuff in the first half but I thought that his head went down when they scored. Foran simply does not have the stamina to play a whole game in central midfield. Draper is simply wasted out wide. This ain't slamming as this was always going to be a damage limitation affair - but why not feckin criticise as there are holes that need filling. Lets not all get into the lets be nothing but positive crap - cos if we do we will not be making more history this season.

• Agree 1

I actually thought that on the whole and despite the scoreline, we were alright.  There was no doubt Celtic were more up for it in the second half and had quite a few chances in the first half as well.  

I thought Draper had a decent game, along with Meekings, but in hindsight maybe throwing Warren straight back was a mistake, though we were poorer after he was taken off.

Of the rest, McKay wasn't in the game, Andrew Shinnie is looking uninterested and despite his goal, Aaron Doran's touch, vision and final ball were very poor.

I agree Johndo.  This happy clapping atmosphere is starting to grate.  We have been average at best for a while now, unable to take care of a dour Perth side and I honestly fear for us should we approach next weeks game with the same attitude.  Billy Mckay is supposed to be a top scorer.............well he was anonymous today along with a few other shirkers.  Happy clapping is all good and well as long as you have something to happy clap about.  In case nobody has noticed, we have won feck all yet, albeit a decent season, of course without one of the major players involved because they were too busy losing to Stirling Albion and Peterhead etc.

I am getting tired of people telling me that we should be happy about our season regardless.  Well I have news for you.  I think we are going backwards in the stages of the season where we should be cementing our place in the history books.  Are we scared?  Maybe, but we need to get ourselves out of this rut before it's too late, starting with a win next week.

Disgruntled

• Agree 3

Unless the TV was at a different game I saw the same as everyone else. Just giving an opinion, thought that was allowed (thank you IHE). Want the best for the club going forward as we all do. There's no doubt it's been a great season overall, but I think we're capable of a lot better than we've been showing lately that's all - and I hate getting beat by manky Celtic.

• Agree 1

Thought we played very well defensively in the first half but gave the ball away too easily. We fell apart after Warren went off and it was damage limitation Thought Meekings had a great game. So that one is out of the way lets finish the job and get the Euro place

Well yet again Celtic away didn't fail to deliver.

Rubbish result but was always going to be a difficult ask to get anything today.  I thought in the first half we were strong and tactically Terry and Mo got it spot on.  In the second half however, we struggled and Celtic were deserved winners. 

A handful of us waited to watch the Celtic lap of honour / Neil Lennon speech.  Back in the LRT post match it seemed we were noticed as we got a free round of drinks as a thanks.  :clapoverhead:  :drinking06:

It wasn't our day however.  Onwards to Perth!

• Agree 1

Unless the TV was at a different game I saw the same as everyone else. Just giving an opinion, thought that was allowed (thank you IHE). Want the best for the club going forward as we all do. There's no doubt it's been a great season overall, but I think we're capable of a lot better than we've been showing lately that's all - and I hate getting beat by manky Celtic.

Apologies if you thought I was having a go, for the record I wasnt. Of course you are entitled to an opinion it's a forum for that after all.

I , my opinion, do think you see the game differently on tv. You get the benefit of close ups, replays ect. Stuck in a corner at Parkhead you don't get that view.

I don't like getting beaten by Celtic either but let's face it with their resources it's bound to happen most of the time. Our guys are honest pros and we dont exactly have a lot of reinforcements waiting in the wings to freshen things up. Again a personal opinion, but I for one want us all to get behind the guys in our final 4 matches and hopefully history will be made.

• Agree 1

the results do suit us and it sets up next week perfectly as it means we can play counter attack. ST Johnstone cannot afford to sit in to hold us for a draw like they have in the previous 2 matches. They have to go for it so there should be more space for us to play

We are still well in the driving seat and the number of draws witnessed this season has certainly been to our benefit - I suspect that as most teams are in a must not lose situation that there will be a few more draws yet - and we again can only benefit. The team that may pick up points is the Arabs as they can more or less relax and go fer it - hopefully starting next week !!

"Our guys are honest pros and we dont exactly have a lot of reinforcements waiting in the wings to freshen things up. Again a personal opinion, but I for one want us all to get behind the guys in our final 4 matches and hopefully history will be made" - wholeheartedly agree and honest pros will hold their hands up to making mistakes and having a below average performance - and can take criticism when it is "deserved" - that is what makes them better players.

"Do think you see the game differently on tv" - Yes it is a bit more appreciating from the head rather than the heart. You can evidently analyse more as coaches will do in retrospect and I suspect that a few bollickings were given yesterday. I have to concede, as I have alluded to before, that it was difficult passing judgement when we are playing at Parkdread in front of a full house baying fer a party. I thought that we were VERY solid and structured in the first half. But what I saw raised concerns over some issues that I have been worried about for a few games now. Reguero sometimes gives me the jips with his Continental punching - I really do think that Draper and Foran should interchange. Foran and McKay is a better combination. Andy Shinnie needs to give us a couple of performances to show why he is stepping up in class. I also think that OTJ and Draper is a better pairing.

And the two "decisions" that worried me yesterday was 1) the decision to let Warren carry on when (seen on TV) he was practically asking to be hooked early doors on two separate occasions. 2) Don't understand why Ross never came on instead of Taylor.

Alas I cannot see TB changing his system at this late stage and hopefully we will keep the main players intact, our defence remains as solid as it has been and we get BIG individual performances out of "bigger" individuals and wee Billy finds his shooting boots again.

Never expected anything yesterday do points wise, not bothered. What I couldn't believe was the amount of individual errors. The ball just seemed to bounce of our players. Simple passes were poor. Yes we were strong in defence in the first half but we were also lucky. Second half we were torn apart by pass and short passes. Hopefully we play better next week and get a win that might just be enough.

To the disgruntled.

Do you think that those of ( us ) who have a more optimistic ( to you happy clappers) outlook are supposed to sit back and let you would be pundits with visions of 'knowall ' grandeur put your side of things forward without reply ???

ICT have achieved what they set out to do for this season, any advance on this is bonus. Can you not just accept that ?

Many of you were moaning at the start of the season about losing all you favourite players ( sounding like children having their toys confiscated ) then when the new arrivals came you said that we had no hope of getting to the top six, and fearing relegation.

All last season we had to put up with your drivel about happy clapping, well now it is our turn, this season has been a success, so if you cannot see that then it is time to take your dark glasses off.

Constructive criticism is good I am all for it but slagging off players and management for the sake of thinking you are making yourselves sound good is something else.

• Agree 3

Outclassed by team who contained a high number of internationals and averaged 4 goals per home game this season. yesterday was their day. It was pitty to see us throw away the hard work we had done in the first half but its hardly going to de rail the rest of the season, no ground lost from Perth FC so next week and the games following that are vital. Time to get behind the lads for the remainder of the season. 

• Agree 2

Beaten by a stronger team that were on a mission yesterday and not too much of a shock, really. Wanyama looked every inch a multi milion pound player and Commons and Hooper weren't far behind. Our midfield were bound to tire eventually after firefighting that lot for most of the game and when they got one goal there really was no way back although getting four flattered them. Doran's goal at the death might prove vital. We suffered after Gary Warren went off - not least because he looked likely to nick something from the corners that we got, as well as mopping up everything at the back.

The real fight for Europe could effectively be won next week (County could be all but out of it if they are beaten by the Arabs) on the red & blue away day. Defeat for St Johnstone would render us almost uncatchable with two home fixtures to come. Dundee United are beatable on our patch and we might be up against it with Motherwell, but then those two are followed by County. For the last day of the season to be the first win for them would be unthinkable and you know what - it still wouldn't be enough for them. Come on and join the red and blue party!

• Agree 2

To the disgruntled.

Do you think that those of ( us ) who have a more optimistic ( to you happy clappers) outlook are supposed to sit back and let you would be pundits with visions of 'knowall ' grandeur put your side of things forward without reply ???

ICT have achieved what they set out to do for this season, any advance on this is bonus. Can you not just accept that ?

Many of you were moaning at the start of the season about losing all you favourite players ( sounding like children having their toys confiscated ) then when the new arrivals came you said that we had no hope of getting to the top six, and fearing relegation.

All last season we had to put up with your drivel about happy clapping, well now it is our turn, this season has been a success, so if you cannot see that then it is time to take your dark glasses off.

Constructive criticism is good I am all for it but slagging off players and management for the sake of thinking you are making yourselves sound good is something else.

This isn't debating it is pure and utter whingeing and tedious personalised slagging. I have to agree that there have been many posters who have harboured overly high expectations and have criticised with no rationale. They bug me as much as the righteous who can only see just above average as their goals and are too scared to criticise AND who always look for the negativity in posts rather than taking in the whole picture.

We have well exceeded the expectation levels held and aimed for at the start of the season. This season will end up being our best ever and successful. Perhaps that will suffice for some but I will always conclude that we blew a big opportunity to pick up silverware and I am nervy that we could blow the chance of an unbelievable place in Europe. My opinions are mine and probably bring about a reaction because they are thought out and rational in content - probably a happy clappers nightmare.

This season is our most successful ever but it could still be an historical, unthought of and almost unbelievable - it could have been classed as sensational. Forgive me and some others for holding higher standards than others and having the temerity of passing opinion on a discussion forum. At least argue against the points and criticisms proffered rather than being a child throwing their rattle out of the pram.

• Agree 1

To the disgruntled.

This isn't debating it is pure and utter whingeing and tedious personalised slagging. I have to agree that there have been many posters who have harboured overly high expectations and have criticised with no rationale. They bug me as much as the righteous who can only see just above average as their goals and are too scared to criticise AND who always look for the negativity in posts rather than taking in the whole picture.

We have well exceeded the expectation levels held and aimed for at the start of the season. This season will end up being our best ever and successful. Perhaps that will suffice for some but I will always conclude that we blew a big opportunity to pick up silverware and I am nervy that we could blow the chance of an unbelievable place in Europe. My opinions are mine and probably bring about a reaction because they are thought out and rational in content - probably a happy clappers nightmare.

This season is our most successful ever but it could still be an historical, unthought of and almost unbelievable - it could have been classed as sensational. Forgive me and some others for holding higher standards than others and having the temerity of passing opinion on a discussion forum. At least argue against the points and criticisms proffered rather than being a child throwing their rattle out of the pram.

Who is the rattle thrower??? It must be someone who is irrational, therefor I shall not antagonise them by daring to argue opinion as it may upset the person even  more.

Suffice my post to be an expression of disagreement over unfair criticism. which it certainly is.

Don't argue ya softie - debate. Stop being personal and give a rationale to challenge my criticism. You are not upsetting me and you never will - you are irritating me with your churlish avoidance. :blink:

As Mao Tse Tung once said to me as we waited for a Chinese Takeaway - "Johndo, It is better to have high standards than low expectations" and then Ding Ling added "It is better to be feckin crazy with high standards than being boring Mr Average with low standards