SPL Player of the Year

RobRoy

Leigh Griffiths, Michael Higdon, Niall McGinn and Andrew Shinnie on the shortlist. It'll be the first time since 1989/90 that a non-'old firm' player wins it!

Tough one to call. I can't see McGinn getting it as his goals largely dried up, whereas Higdon's been banging them in all season.

What a pleasant surprise to see no Celtic player on this. Think Higdon is the most deserving winner - the number and quality of his goals have been outstanding, and he's been consistent all season. Griffiths has been good, but probably less consistent, and I can't get past some of his off-field antics this season when it comes to rewarding him, even though these shouldn't have a bearing. Shinnie has been less influential for us since the break, but I'm glad he's been recognised, even though our success this season has been a fantastic team effort.

• Agree 1

I agree with above. Think the smart money is on Higdon - both McGinn & Griffiths have been good for their teams but havent managed to get their sides into top 6, although some of the goals Griffiths has scored have been expectional and without those 2 players who knows how close to relegation boths Hibs & Dons would be. Overall Higdon has been consistent all year and shown by the fact hs is top SPL scorer and Well are now second, sadly Andy has dipped in form a wee bit recently, but its great he is recognised especially unlike the others he hasnt scored near as many goals it shows that his creativity has been noticed.

Must be slightly frustrating for both our board and Motherwell to both have players that could be names SPL player of the year but are out of contract in the summer so walk away for nothing when this could have produced interst from bigger clubs and transfer fees.

• Agree 1

Higdon for me, top scorer, been a pillar of strength up top for Motherwell all season and will probably see them finish 2nd before the season is out. 

It is interesting that the lead in for this on the radio news was the fact that for oh-so-many-years there are no OF players in the senior nominations. No doubt this will be used by their slavering supporters as yet more evidence of how the relegation of "We Are the Peepul" has damaged Scottish football, when in fact it just illustrates the opposite!

• Agree 2

It is interesting that the lead in for this on the radio news was the fact that for oh-so-many-years there are no OF players in the senior nominations. No doubt this will be used by their slavering supporters as yet more evidence of how the relegation of "We Are the Peepul" has damaged Scottish football, when in fact it just illustrates the opposite!

I thought it was "we arra peepoe"?

My money is on Higdon or Griffiths getting this although would love our Andy to get it.

Higdon for me as well.

I think the fact that there is no Celtic player is a reflection of the fact that their success has been about a generally good team effort.  In some games there may be a standout player but it is rarely the same one from one game to the next.  I can't imagine why Lennon thinks Hooper should be in the mix.  He's scored the same as McGinn and less that Higdon and Griffiths.  He's scored two less SPL goals than our own Billy McKay who also isn't on the shortlist.  There is no doubt that Celtic are clearly the best team in the league and they create significantly more chances.  If Lennon is dissapointed with anything he should be disappointed that his main strikers have not scored more.

Lennon is a fool. Classless comments from him as you would expect.

The shortlist was the result of player votes. Clearly the players in the SPL didn't think there was a stand-out Celtic player hence why they had so many players on a similar number of votes.

In simple terms - dry your eyes you rocket.

Seeing Lennon greet again is probably the best part of this years nominations - almost makes the winner irrelevant. As for his points on his players,

- Forster - IMO there have been better keepers this season in Samson & Bell

- Commons - Don't recall him being that good in the first half of the campaign

- Hooper - best team in the SPL, creates most chances but isnt leading scorer?

- Wilson - really?

- Wanyama - nominated for best young player, seems fair enough to me as he will most likely win it.

And just to cap it off NL is going to boycott the awards - hope that this is remembered when it comes to manager awards this and future seasons.

Edited by bdu98196