League Improvement

Kingsmills

This is long overdue, and it seems that the shirts are finally trying to do something right. i wonder whether there may be clubs who turn down the chance of promotion. Lets imagine Wick were in Div 3 along with Stanraer, Berwick, Annan.

AA Route Map says 7 hours 41 mins / 355 miles one way for Stranraer. imagine the amount of Fish & Chips (Sure Wick has an airport, but the departure times, costs, etc. mean it's surely redundant).

Seriously though, would there be a way to have Wick (3rd last season) in the mix? A potential 16 hour round trip, exc. pit stops! and the cost!

Edited by Kirishima

I don't have concerns about the Highland Leagues teams making the step up. We have a wealth of talented players and well run teams in this division. Someone has pointed out their concern about the calibre of teams in the lowland league. What sort of quality will be on offer here?

I would love to see the likes of Wick in the SFL out of sheer spite to those who moan about teams north of Perth being involved.

• Agree 2

From what I believe there isnt many juniors who want to make the step up at all. The irony in that is teams such as Auchenleck, Linlithgow, Bo'ness and Lochee UTD are not only far superior than most semi pro clubs but also they have a better quality of grounds/pitches than some 3rd division clubs.

Looking through nonleaguescotland.co.uk last night, (a site which has pics of all semi-pro and junior teams grounds in scotland) there are only a handful of EoS clubs with adequate ground facilities. Preston Athletic, Gretna2008 and Spartans have for sure got the facilities to step up. However the likes of Gala and Whitehill would need too upgrade their grounds with a new stand/concrete terrace etc.

The SoS league however is mince, and pretty much all clubs play on parks like the bught!

I don't think the Highland League needs to change. If any tweaking is to be done then I could go along with a 16 team set up. It might not need to change at all. But if so, that would mean, for example, Strathspey Thistle and Rothes dropping into the league below. Or whoever it maybe! Fort William or Lossiemouth, perhaps. All hypothetical.

Conveniently, the 'level' below the Highland League is the North Juniors Premier division which has 14 teams; that would effectively make them a 16 team Highland League 2 (or some similar name).

Effectively:

Highland League          (as it is less 2)    16

North Juniors Premier  (as it is plus 2)    16

North Juniors First       (as it is plus 2)     16

North Juniors Second (as it is plus merge with North Caledonian League)

Amateur & Welfare feeder leagues into tier 4

i believe theres plans to regionalise the north juniors first and second divisions into east and west starting this coming season.

I've just seen that. Got to think that there's a great opportunity for Inverness City to get promoted this coming season, especially if their ground's ready in time!

I don't think the Highland League needs to change. If any tweaking is to be done then I could go along with a 16 team set up. It might not need to change at all. But if so, that would mean, for example, Strathspey Thistle and Rothes dropping into the league below. Or whoever it maybe! Fort William or Lossiemouth, perhaps. All hypothetical.

Conveniently, the 'level' below the Highland League is the North Juniors Premier division which has 14 teams; that would effectively make them a 16 team Highland League 2 (or some similar name).

Effectively:

Highland League (as it is less 2) 16

North Juniors Premier (as it is plus 2) 16

North Juniors First (as it is plus 2) 16

North Juniors Second (as it is plus merge with North Caledonian League)

Amateur & Welfare feeder leagues into tier 4

i believe theres plans to regionalise the north juniors first and second divisions into east and west starting this coming season.

I've just seen that. Got to think that there's a great opportunity for Inverness City to get promoted this coming season, especially if their ground's ready in time! Fingers crossed.

All a bit mesmerizing for me the noo. Will wait a bit until it is all sorted out then the picture will be clearer.

It probably will find it's own level and if small teams are obliged to travel great distances then the league may have to subsidize their travel expenses otherwise it simply will not work financially.

It's all very well saying what was commented about Exeter going North but there are no freeways (motorways) in Scotland leading up to the north of the country. So time and stress for the drivers will have a negative effect ion the players

At least, yes, a major step in the right direction though.. :clapoverhead:

Preston Athletic, Gretna2008 and Spartans have for sure got the facilities to step up. However the likes of Gala and Whitehill would need too upgrade their grounds with a new stand/concrete terrace etc.

Sorry but I think you're just making it up as you go along!

Gala and Whitehill both have the minimum of 100 covered places (seats too as it happens but they are not compulsory) for entry level license. Both are heading towards a license right now but it's not stands or terracing but other things such as first aid, disabled access, perimeter fence.

On the other hand, Spartans and Preston have their license. Each has a stand just as Gala and Whitehill do, but no terracing whatsoever! Whitehill actually have more terracing than any of them (but uncovered so it counts for no more than grass banking does).

The trouble is, what fans think makes a good football ground is not the same as what the SFA does. At the higher levels you need things like a media room,press box with wifi,space behind the goals for photographers, etc.

At entry level, I can tell you the kind of things Whitehill have had to spend money on: increasing the number of showers from 4 to 5 in each dressing room; replacing the chain link boundary fence with a 2m palisade with gates; first aid room with a sink, etc.

The standards for all levels can be found here:

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/ClubLicensing/Part2:National/Part 2 Section 5 - Ground Criteria (2).pdf

Edited by TheMantis
Damn link wouldn't work

Stranraer to Wick ay be a bit of a hike but much less so than say Exeter to Carlisle. Anyway, just wait until some billionaire decides to invest in Lerwick FC or Stornaway United !

Exeter and Carlisle are full time though. I don't think there are any part time clubs above level 6 in England.

Well they decided yesterday and its 9 EOS clubs, 2 SOS clubs, and East Kilbride FC. A few Juniors expressed interest but none actually applied.

I'm sure it will be different next year when the league expands to 16 with the carrot of a potential League place for the winners. Could even be enough to tempt Auchinleck or Pollok or Irvine Meadow to jump ship.