Fergie Retires

bdu98196

The "Special One" is fine where there are big purses to spend. The real test is working within constraints and getting the best results. Thats a REAL manager. For my Money....MOYES is the second best Manager in the UK

The "Special One" is fine where there are big purses to spend. The real test is working within constraints and getting the best results. Thats a REAL manager. For my Money....MOYES is the second best Manager in the UK

SAF did pretty well at St Mirren, then of course Aberdeen.

When he took over St Mirren they were languishing in the bottom half of the old 2nd division with crowds of about 1000 (and there were only 2 divisions in those days) ... in his first season, with the help of league reconstruction he took them up to the new D1, then finished in mid-table the next season before winning D1 the year after and steering the Buddies to the Premier .... managed to avoid relegation in his first season in the Premier but was sacked for breaking club rules (allegedly). that's a pretty good record at a club that is not exactly rolling in cash

Moved to Aberdeen in 1978 and completed 8 full seasons with the Dons, winning trophies in 6 of them. He may have had more resources than some teams, but it should be noted that prior to Ferguson arriving, even with those extra resources, Aberdeen last won the league in 1955, the SFA Cup in 1970, and the League Cup in 1976

ST MIRREN

• 1974/75: Finishes 6th in D2. League rearrangement sees them up to new D1. SFA Cup Rd 2, League Cup - R1 group stage
  • 1975/76: 6th in D1. SFA Cup Rd 3, League Cup - R1 group stage
  • 1976/77: Wins First Division, SFA Cup 4th Rd, League Cup - R1 group stage
  • 1977/78: Finished 8th in Premier Division, SFA Cup 3rd Rd, League Cup QF. Sacked

ABERDEEN

• 1978/79: Finishes 4th in Premier Division, SFA Cup SF, League Cup runners-up
  • 1979/80: Wins Premier Division (1pt ahead of Celtic), SFA Cup SF, League Cup runners-up
  • 1980/81: 2nd in Premier Division (7pts behind Celtic), SFA Cup 4th Rd, League Cup QF
  • 1981/82: 2nd in Premier Division (2pts behind Celtic), Wins SFA Cup, League Cup SF
  • 1982/83: 3rd in Premier Division (1pt behind DUFC, level with Celtic), Wins SFA Cup, League Cup QF, Wins Cup Winners Cup, Wins UEFA Super Cup
  • 1983:84: Wins Premier Division, (7pts ahead of Celtic), Wins SFA Cup, League Cup SF, Cup Winners Cup SF
  • 1984/85: Wins Premier Division, (7pts ahead of Celtic), SFA Cup SF, League Cup Rd2
  • 1985/86: 4th in Premier Division (6pts behind Celtic), Wins SFA Cup, Wins League Cup
  • 1986/87: 4th in Premier division (11pts behind Rangers), SFA Cup 3rd Rd, League Cup QF. Leaves in Nov 1986 for Man Utd

I have no feelings toward Aberdeen or Man Utd, and kinda dislike St Mirren but regardless of that, I dont think you can view Ferguson as anything other than a managerial legend .... whoever replaces him is on a hiding to nothing .... look at the managerial record after Matt Busby - the next few didnt last long, until Tommy Doc, then Sexton and Atkinson came along for about 5 years each but with Ferguson having done 27 years (3 more than Busby) .... how patient will they be with the new guy ?

• Agree 1

I will point out that the Saints sacked SAF as they found out he had agreed (or was well on the way) to become manager of Aberdeen.

I view Aberdeen as his greatest achievement.  Hope Moyes gets it.  Always like to see a Scot doing well - I guess that'll be unusual on this forum.

• Agree 2

I will point out that the Saints sacked SAF as they found out he had agreed (or was well on the way) to become manager of Aberdeen.

I view Aberdeen as his greatest achievement.  Hope Moyes gets it.  Always like to see a Scot doing well - I guess that'll be unusual on this forum.

A buddie friend who lived in Paisley at the time told me he was (allegedly) sacked for liaising with the then chairman's daughter!

Either way no doubting his amazing achievements.  I'll miss seeing him involved in the game.

A buddie friend who lived in Paisley at the time told me he was (allegedly) sacked for liaising with the then chairman's daughter!

Either way no doubting his amazing achievements.  I'll miss seeing him involved in the game.

and yet other reports claim that he was (allegedly) sacked for 'improper payments' made to players ...... I guess only a few people know what the real truth is.

Whatever the reason for his sacking at St Mirren, I think it was clear it had nothing to do with his coaching or managing of the team .... they were a team on the up under him and I read an interview this morning with Tony Fitzpatrick who described how Fergie made him captain of St Mirren at 17, how he put in place a young team and a structure during his 4 year tenure that saw St Mirren reap benefits for the next 10 years (including, in his opinion the Cup win) ...... there are loads of other articles out there too from the likes of Alex McLeish, Bryan Robson, David Beckham and even Cristiano Ronaldo who all hail Ferguson as having a huge impact on their lives and careers .....

• Agree 2

I see Man U have accidentally announced that Moyes is the new manager on their Facebook page!

Edit - Now officially confirmed that Moyes will take over on July 1st on a six year deal.

Edited by Renegade

So Martinez to Everton? Although I see some Scottish media linking Lennon lol

Special one to Chelski?

Rafa back to Spain to Madrid or will it be Klopp or will he be off to Man City if Mancini get pushed out?

I see Man U have accidentally announced that Moyes is the new manager on their Facebook page!

Edit - Now officially confirmed that Moyes will take over on July 1st on a six year deal.

Now, that's how to employ a manager.  Take note Chelsea - sacking a manager after he wins the double is not the way forward.

Don't think Everton are the type of club to have someone like Lennon.

But, back on topic, no surprise that Moyes has gone to MU. He has obviously been favourite for it for years.  Interesting that Fergie's retirement coincides exactly with Moyes's contract terminating at Everton. No compensation! Shrewd! I wonder when Moyes was tipped the wink, and so avoided renewing his Everton contract?